PDA

View Full Version : Foothills Trail

T-Rx
03-21-2013, 21:26
My wife and I are considering ding a trip on the Foothills Trail in a couple of weeks. We are looking at the stretch of trail between Laurel Valley and Bad Creek. We are planning on going north to south and 2 nights on the trail. Has anyone done this piece of trail and have any info on trail condition, water availability, must see places, safe parking, shuttle services, etc... ?

Grits
03-21-2013, 22:38
I did that section last fall and don't miss Hilliard Falls and Lower Whitewater Falls. Plan your hike with shuttle info here http://www.foothillstrail.org/index.php?page=plan-your-hike The camp site at the Toxaway river bridge is good and waking up with the sun coming up on the canebrake was cool. Enjoy your hike.

The Ace
03-21-2013, 23:16
From Laurel Valley to Bad Creek Access is 30 miles. Here are some distances between campgrounds -- all campgrounds are good:

Laurel Valley

Laurel Fork Falls – top campground

Laurel Fork Falls – top campground

Toxaway Creek – before the bridge

Toxaway Creek – before the bridge

Bear Creek

Bear Creek

Bearcamp Creek

Bearcamp Creek

Bad Creek Access

If you want a shorter first day, I recommend stopping at Laurel Fork Falls at the camping area at the top of the falls. (Do not wander down the creek where the falls began – seriously, don’t). Second day, hike 11.5 miles, stopping to have lunch at one of the picnic tables next to the Toxaway River at the Toxaway Creek campground. This is before you cross the bridge over the Toxaway River to Canebrake -- a very nice area to rest after doing Heartbreak Ridge, the only strenuous section that you will encounter. Spend the second night at Bear Creek. On the third day finish the last 11.1 miles to Bad Creek. Or, instead of the Bad Creek Access, end your hike at the scenic Upper White Water Falls by adding another 2 miles – uphill, but worth it for the falls, picnic tables, restrooms and parking.

If you want to push the first day, then you can camp the first night at Toxaway Creek and then Bearcamp Creek the second. This would also leave you some time on the third day to explore both the Upper and Lower Whitewater Falls.

There is plenty of water along the trail. Temperatures two weeks from now could be in the upper thirties at night. Daytime temperatures will be cool but likely comfortable if it’s not raining. The trail is well marked. You can also get the Foothills Trail GuideBook.

Dogwood
03-22-2013, 13:36
Thrued it for the second time this mid Jan. GREAT trail.

...info on trail condition, water availability, must see places, safe parking, shuttle services, etc... ?

tc - a few blow downs nothing impassable though, well blazed/signed trail, little swampy/mushy/muddy in a few low lying areas but it had also rained for two days straight previous to my hike

wa - generally not a concern on the Foothills Trail, it's abundant

msp - waterfalls, this is one of the things the Foothills Trail is known for, couple of decent overlooks, the FHT Guidebook and FHT map can be helpful with the blue blazes. Plants are also very cool. Have experienced, coyotes, deer, foxes, bobcats, raptors, reptiles, turkey, owls, etc too.

sp - I would contact the FHT Alliance with specific info about that for your section as well as shuttles. Grits gave the link. I think that's Hiliard Falls in his pic(NICE stop). Not fully informed about current conditions at Bad Crk access parking area but IMO it should be a safe place to leave a car for a day or two, IF are allowed. I think you are though.

The Ace got the campsite info low down for you. Be mindful that some unofficial camping areas are along the FHT too so you may have additional places to camp. Be mindful of the NO Camping right along the WhiteWater Falls area owned by Duke Power Company. I think drinking water is taken in this area.

T-Rx
03-22-2013, 13:56
Grits, Ace & Dogwood,
Thank you very much for the info and help. You guys are great! We are looking forward to our hike and will be in touch with the website about getting a trail map. Thanks again!

Cookerhiker
03-22-2013, 17:27
My wife and I are considering ding a trip on the Foothills Trail in a couple of weeks. We are looking at the stretch of trail between Laurel Valley and Bad Creek. We are planning on going north to south and 2 nights on the trail. Has anyone done this piece of trail and have any info on trail condition, water availability, must see places, safe parking, shuttle services, etc... ?

Seems to me that there's been lots of experiences on the Foothills Trail. I suggest going to the WhiteBlaze "Other Trails" forum (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?105-Other-Trails) and doing a search by simply typing in "Foothills" - you'll find quite a few threads.

g8trh8tr
03-22-2013, 18:29
I will be hiking that same section next weekend...I have completed the entire trail and that is my favorite section...