PDA

View Full Version : FL Supreme Court denies appeal by Gary Hilton

Praha4
03-21-2013, 21:29
Today the Florida Supreme Court upheld the death sentence for convicted killer Gary Hilton.

http://www.wtxl.com/news/local/fl-supreme-court-denies-appeal-by-gary-michael-hilton/article_c3816078-9243-11e2-afd0-0019bb30f31a.html

SunnyWalker
03-21-2013, 22:21
And what is your point in bringing up this sad news? Do you know this type of reporting is not news reporting and it exploits the victim, the victims family? I wish you had not placed this on WB. Just my opinion.

fiddlehead
03-21-2013, 23:29
And what is your point in bringing up this sad news? Do you know this type of reporting is not news reporting and it exploits the victim, the victims family? I wish you had not placed this on WB. Just my opinion.

Don't know if you read the article, Sunny Walker, but I found it very interesting
Some of the quotes from this nut are just amazing.

moldy
03-22-2013, 09:31
The problem with the additional Federal Trial in N.C. is that it will delay his execution in Florida.

Praha4
03-22-2013, 09:52
hey I had no intention of tormenting anyone with posting this article. In fact I was hoping to point out that justice will finally happen for the families... delaying the final sentencing for this monster thru the appeals process is what torments the families. Justice for Meredith. Justice for the other victims.

WingedMonkey
03-22-2013, 10:17
hey I had no intention of tormenting anyone with posting this article. In fact I was hoping to point out that justice will finally happen for the families... delaying the final sentencing for this monster thru the appeals process is what torments the families. Justice for Meredith. Justice for the other victims.

We should all have more knowledge of his Florida victim. That is after all why he is on death row. The woman was a hiker just not as well known as his "first" victim.

Jack Tarlin
03-22-2013, 11:11
Personally, I was glad to see this and I thank the original poster for sharing the news. There is no "exploitation" of the victim here; I assure you the families of the murdered do not require a note from Whiteblaze to jog their memories; they live with them every day. I think it's important that the hiking community be well-informed of these sorts of things, no matter how distressing they may be. One does not deal with bad news or tragedy by hiding from it.

Violent Green
03-22-2013, 13:26
Sad news? I think upholding his death sentence is great news. It is sad, however, that Florida gave up Old Sparky for lethal injection a few years ago.

Ryan

ken209
03-22-2013, 13:44
Praha4 thanks for the update on that scum-bag, let us know when they gas him.

MDSection12
03-22-2013, 13:50
This guy is the poster-child for the concept that some people are beyond repair. Maybe there were times in his life where someone could have changed his course, but that doesn't change the fact that he's no longer fit to live in civilized society. Good riddance.

HikerMom58
03-22-2013, 17:29
This guy is the poster-child for the concept that some people are beyond repair. Maybe there were times in his life where someone could have changed his course, but that doesn't change the fact that he's no longer fit to live in civilized society. Good riddance.

Agree! IMHO, people that are beyond repair are those that can't/never could feel empathy or compassion. The ability to feel those things is what makes us human. There are many people that don't feel those things but they don't "act out". When someone acts out, they have to be stopped & you're right, MDSection12, there's no hope for them, humanly speaking.

SassyWindsor
03-22-2013, 17:35
Unfortunately, he'll probably die of old age. Seems, it takes years for all the appeals to run out.

leaftye
03-22-2013, 20:35
Unfortunately, he'll probably die of old age. Seems, it takes years for all the appeals to run out.

I don't know about his particular case, but I'm glad there's a very long appeals process. Take Fred Steese. He plead guilty to avoid the death penalty and he's just getting released from prison after some of the witnesses admitted to giving false testimony.

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/21762874/i-team-man-found-innocent-after-20-years-in-prison

SunnyWalker
03-22-2013, 23:44
Praha4: I didn't mean to come off sounding harsh. Sorry Praha4. This article is not the type of writing that would help a secondary victim. That is my conviction and opinion. This comes from two and more sources. One of which is my own experience of being the secondary victim of murder. The other source is talking to many secondary victims. There are other ways to share this type of info with "hikers" and all without the hurt this causes. OK, just my opinion and its a great discussion.

SawnieRobertson
03-23-2013, 14:20
Personally, I was glad to see this and I thank the original poster for sharing the news. There is no "exploitation" of the victim here; I assure you the families of the murdered do not require a note from Whiteblaze to jog their memories; they live with them every day. I think it's important that the hiking community be well-informed of these sorts of things, no matter how distressing they may be. One does not deal with bad news or tragedy by hiding from it.

To me, although I despise Gary Hilton and feel that he defiled the Earth on which we hike for peace and understanding of Life, my concern is that he be permanently, completely, and forever removed from the possibility of being a danger to the public. There is no way that any incarceration is 100% safe from escape. He remains a danger so long as he is allowed to live.

Furthermore, he used his dog as an accomplice to disarm a young woman who would assume that anyone with such a good rapport with his dog would be a good human being. Poor dog. I hope that its nightmares have stopped. But for all of us, until Gary Hilton's heart and mind have stopped, we are foolish to simply dismiss him as a low life topic about whom we would rather not read. IMHO.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-23-2013, 15:13
This is one of those "third rail" topics, like politics and religion. If you step on it from either direction, you're in for some trouble.

glaux
03-24-2013, 00:16
I am strongly, strongly opposed to the death sentence.

I don't have it in me to say anything in opposition to this man's execution, though. That's for people who are better than me.

John B
03-24-2013, 06:00

As one of the original members of Right to Hike, and as one who has assisted, albeit modestly, in their ongoing efforts to keep Miss Emerson's memory alive and in the public sphere, I can assure you that her close friends in Atlanta and her family in Colorado do not object at all and, in fact, welcome people sharing news about Mr. Hilton's fate. Miss Emerson meant a lot to many of us on WB, and her murder was a huge blow to all. I am glad that this information was posted so that those who are interested can continue to follow this case to its end.

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 09:47
He is not on death row in Florida for the death of Miss Emerson.

SawnieRobertson
03-24-2013, 10:04
He is not on death row in Florida for the death of Miss Emerson.
Thank you, John B. And, Winged Monkey, you are right. So, because he made a deal in Georgia to prevent his being executed there, we should distance ourselves from the need to remove this evil man from the ability to continue to give himself the thrill of the kill and dismemberment? He has received more than a fair trial. It is time.

Of course that is only my humble opinion.--Kinnickinic

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 11:27
Sawnie, I have no qualms about removing this scum from society. My only point is as to the OP's post.

Today the Florida Supreme Court upheld the death sentence for convicted killer Gary Hilton.

And the reason that he was tried and convicted in Florida was for the brutal murder of Cheryl Dunlap, a Crawfordville Nurse and Sunday School Teacher. Cheryl was hiking in the Apalachicola National Forest when Hilton abducted her.

It is not my intent to lessen the murder of Emerson in Georgia or John and Irene Bryant in North Carolina.

Just seems that Cheryl Dunlap and the Bryants for that matter, are often forgotten.