PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira or Filter: Harper's Ferry to Mass./VT

Hikerj53
03-21-2013, 22:56
All,

Was able to do my section hikes from Springer to HF, WV with Aqua Mira. I pick back up on 3 April in HF northbound to the Mass./VT border. I was hoping to continue with Aqua Mira and avoid the weight of a filter. Your thoughts?

LoneStar

Teacher & Snacktime
03-21-2013, 23:00
From the research I've done there are plenty of water sources in MD, and many appear to not need much in the way of treatment. Beyond that I can't help.

moldy
03-22-2013, 09:49
I'm not real sure about the nature of your question. If you are asking if the Aqua Mura pills will work on that section of the trail during the early Spring, the answer is yes. Generally speaking filtered water is almost as safe to drink as treated water so long as you are following the directions for cleaning the filter and treating the water for the correct amount of time. Both systems have good and bad points. Generally speaking, the early Spring water is safer than mid or late Summer water because bacteria blooms in the heat of Summer and the filtering effect of fast moving Spring runoff is less as the water levels in creeks and springs drop off in Summer.

bfayer
03-22-2013, 09:57
What are your worries about Auqamira?

MDSection12
03-22-2013, 10:00
From the research I've done there are plenty of water sources in MD, and many appear to not need much in the way of treatment. Beyond that I can't help.

Yes, Maryland has many water sources and it is easy to pass this section with no treatment. The springs at Ed Garvey, Crampton Gap (this one dries up in August though,) Rocky Run, Annapolis Rocks and Pogo Memorial Campground (possibly my favorite spring I've ever drank from) all meet my requirements for no treatment. I've drank, without treatment, from each multiple times in the past six months with no issue. I've never stopped at Pine Knob or Raven Rock (too close to the road) so I can't speak for those. Ensign Cowell's spring is a 'box' type and I don't trust water that is stagnant so I skip that. In addition to the springs, there is potable water (from a spigot) available at Gathland State Park, Dahlgren Backpacker's Campground and Pen Mar Park. Sorry I can't advise outside of MD.

bfayer
03-22-2013, 10:24
The spring at Pine Knob is usually fine. Make sure you get the water from the pipe, too many dogs play in the pool under the pipe.

There is city water at Washington Monument just a couple of miles south of Pine Knob.

bear bag hanger
03-22-2013, 10:29
I use a MSR MIOX and have for quite a few years, including a thru hike of the AT. Never had a problem, although there is evidence that nothing really works that well (Backpacker Magazine did an article comparing treatment, filtering and doing nothing and the rate of people getting water borne sickness was the same for all three groups). I think you'll be fine with the Aqua Mira and don't need to add a filter to your pack.

MDSection12
03-22-2013, 10:52
There is city water at Washington Monument just a couple of miles south of Pine Knob.

Where is the spigot? I was looking around the parking lot last time I was out there and couldn't find any water. I knew there had to be some around there somewhere.

Hikerj53
03-22-2013, 11:23
All,

Thanks for the responses. I've not hiked north of HF in a number of years but I seem to remember some springs and streams in PA that were brown from tannins. Other than the esthetics and some after taste, I was hoping that I could still use Aqua Mira instead of dragging along the weight of a filter.

LoneStar

bfayer
03-22-2013, 11:40
Where is the spigot? I was looking around the parking lot last time I was out there and couldn't find any water. I knew there had to be some around there somewhere.

It is just north of the parking lot (50 ft), across the trail from the picnic shelter.

It is not attached to a building, just a freeze proof spigot sticking out of the ground.

Blissful
03-22-2013, 20:52
Aqua mira is fine. I just don't use it in the beaver outlets in VT though

marylandmymaryland
03-25-2013, 19:01
that spigot in the lot at the washington monument is city water? i figured it was well water. it was dirt brown last week. tasted fine, just brown.

bfayer
03-25-2013, 21:04
that spigot in the lot at the washington monument is city water? i figured it was well water. it was dirt brown last week. tasted fine, just brown.

Might be well water, I guess what I meant was it comes out of a pressurized pipe not from the side of a mountain. I have no idea where the water comes from before it gets to the spigot :)

Nooga
03-27-2013, 18:47
I think that aqua mira will be ok. I used household bleach on my thru hike last year and did not have any issues. I will say that some of the water sources in PA and New York were sketchy and would have probably been more appetizing with a filter.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 11:22
You youngsters are fortunate ... with my Medications and thyroid problems, and concern about Farmland Run-off Chemicals ... I'm sticking with my MSR Mini-works.

That pound is my 'insurance' ... YMMV ... And I filter ALL my water.

Rock Lobster
03-29-2013, 00:31
Maybe it was a dry year when I was there, but I remember quite a few long stretches in PA, NJ, and NY with no water. Several times I dug a depression in the muck with my bootheel and filtered the sludge that filled it in. I would not do any of these three states without a filter, personally.

If you do go with AM, pay close attention to the guidebook for water sources, carry extra, and never skip a good one. I will point out that you're never really far from civilization in those spots if it becomes an emergency, but I assume you're looking to avoid that...

Hikerj53
03-29-2013, 06:52
Thanks for all the great responses. Lobstah Legs and Coosa, as much as I'd not like the extra weight, I'm going to throw in my filter. Thanks for your insights. I do seem to remember some iffy spots in PA.
LoneStar

greeter
04-03-2013, 00:42
Is this the Lonestar that hiked in 2010, often with Mother Goose? If so I think we met up north. I made 785 miles SOBO to the Hudson River that year and pulled off with a knee that decide not to bend for awhile. Fond memories of Flora and Fauna, Daytripper and Wolverine. Chip the artist and others. Hope to get back out and do a third of the trail soon. Walker (Rydebyke)

Hikerj53
04-04-2013, 06:10
Sorry, must be another LoneStar although I did hike from Springer north that year. I also hurt my knee, fractured part of a knee-cap, and had to bag it in the Smokies. Heading north today!