PDA

View Full Version : Manning Park ski lodge is closing

SCRUB HIKER
03-22-2013, 01:20
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/03/19/bc-manning-park.html

This was news to me, but then I'm not on PCT-L, so maybe this is something that's been known about for a while? I read it on the PCT subreddit (http://reddit.com/r/pacificcresttrail), which it turns out is not a bad place for info. Limited in scope, but generally useful and friendly discussion there.

Does anyone have more info? Alternatives for places to stay at the end of the trail, anything about Greyhound's plans? I'm sure when Yogi posts her updates in a few weeks, something about this will be included.

Scrub

leaftye
03-22-2013, 01:42
Too bad it got privatized. It sounded like quite the destination when it was still publicly owned. There used to be all sorts of hiking trails, which made it a summer destination as well, but that went away when it was privatized.

Someone on PCT-L said it was just the ski hill that's closing down, which implies that the lodge would stay open, but I have doubts about that.

trovar
03-22-2013, 04:24
Well at least you can always hike back to Hart's Pass and get a hitch out.

leaftye
03-22-2013, 05:17
Well at least you can always hike back to Hart's Pass and get a hitch out.

That can get interesting. I remember a thru hiker told a story about how he did just that, and near the end of the day he was approached by a border patrol agent that said he'd been trying to catch up for hours. Or maybe it was in camp. That would make more sense since very few people can catch up to a seasoned thru hiker on the move.

trovar
03-22-2013, 07:47
That can get interesting. I remember a thru hiker told a story about how he did just that, and near the end of the day he was approached by a border patrol agent that said he'd been trying to catch up for hours. Or maybe it was in camp. That would make more sense since very few people can catch up to a seasoned thru hiker on the move.

You don't have to cross the border if you're going back to Hart's Pass, and I assume that the only reason the agent chased him was because he did. If the lodge closes, I don't see why you would want to cross the border considering all the extra hassle (no place to stay, having to hitch all the way to Vancouver) how easy/beautiful the walk back to Hart's Pass is, and how easy (if you're not too late in the season) it is to get a ride (I got a single ride all the way back to Seattle) from Hart's. Either way, it's pretty crazy that an agent would chase a hiker for hours just to make sure that they have the "Application for Entry into Canada via the Pacific Crest Trail" form. Do they really have nothing better to do?

leaftye
03-22-2013, 08:19
You don't have to cross the border if you're going back to Hart's Pass, and I assume that the only reason the agent chased him was because he did. If the lodge closes, I don't see why you would want to cross the border considering all the extra hassle (no place to stay, having to hitch all the way to Vancouver) how easy/beautiful the walk back to Hart's Pass is, and how easy (if you're not too late in the season) it is to get a ride (I got a single ride all the way back to Seattle) from Hart's.

He didn't cross the border, that's why he was heading back south. If he did, he would have been in big trouble.

Either way, it's pretty crazy that an agent would chase a hiker for hours just to make sure that they have the "Application for Entry into Canada via the Pacific Crest Trail" form. Do they really have nothing better to do?

That's not what the agent was doing. I forget the reason. Either it was odd that a hiker would turn around at the border, or the agent thought the hiker came south across the border. Whichever it was, it was easily resolved when the agent caught up.

That application would serve no purpose for those turning around at the border.