PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a Biblical Verse, please

wacocelt
06-25-2005, 11:55
The verse I'm searching for mentions the casting off of worldly possessions and venturing out with your staff/walking stick. Any help or suggestions on finding this would be greatly appreciated! Be well.

Christopher Robin

C-Stepper
06-25-2005, 12:39
The verse I'm searching for mentions the casting off of worldly possessions and venturing out with your staff/walking stick. Any help or suggestions on finding this would be greatly appreciated! Be well.

Christopher RobinOK...here are a few verses about the subject matter, but I'm unsure what you're trying to do so I'm not sure these are what you're looking for, but maybe it will help. I couldn't find any one passage that included both the criteria you mention:

Mark 6:8-13
Matthew 19:21-22
Luke 12:33
Matthew 6:19
Mark 10:21

TOW
06-25-2005, 12:51

Christopher Robinlook up luke 9:3

Moon Monster
06-25-2005, 12:55
Perhaps these (both are NIV, maybe other translations have "worldly possesions", BUT others may also say leave behind the walking stick also):

9Do not take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts; 10take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep. Mathew 10:9-10

Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village. 7Calling the Twelve to him, he sent them out two by two and gave them authority over evil spirits. 8These were his instructions: "Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9Wear sandals but not an extra tunic. Mark 6:6-9

1When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3He told them: "Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic. Luke 9:1-3

wacocelt
06-25-2005, 13:04
In 2000, when I first decided to attempt a Thru-Hike, a very good friend of mine (who had introduced me to the AT) was at her wits end to convince me not to go. She finally asked me to attend services (Roman Catholic)with her, as she for some reason felt the sermon would change my mind. As it turned out, the verse the Priest based his sermon upon that day only solidified my intentions to hike.
Since it's almost 5 years to the day and I'm about to head back to Maine for another SoBo I thought it proper to find the verse and perhaps read the chapter/book it's included in. I'm not religious ,though I sometimes wish I could be, but very spiritual and right now I'm in need of some 'uplifting words of faith'.
Thanks for the input, I'll check those out and see if perhaps I didn't misquote a 5 year old memory.

Sly
06-25-2005, 13:14
Can't help with your biblical verse but I saw this the other day. It's similar in thought and certainly makes sense if you're a long distance hiker...

From an Interview with God. "... a rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least"

wacocelt
06-25-2005, 13:36
This is the one, thanks The# and everyone else as well! I do recall the Priest discussing wordly possessions that day, perhaps it was before his reading of the actual verse and my mind just tried to meld them together.

Mark
6:8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse:

6:9 But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats.

6:10 And he said unto them, In what place soever ye enter into an house, there abide till ye depart from that place.

6:11 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear you, when ye depart thence, shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

6:12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

6:13 And they cast out many devils, and anointed with oil many that were sick, and healed them.

I enjoyed the passage you included as well Sly, thanks again for your help folks! Be well.

Christopher Robin

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2005, 18:05
Hey, Celt. While you're at it, have a look at Isaiah 55:12, you'll like it.

Best wishes....Jack

wacocelt
06-25-2005, 18:34
Yes Jack, I enjoyed it immensely! Thanks man. Sorry to hear about your hand...

BookBurner
06-25-2005, 21:01
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away."

-- Antoine de' St. Exupery

TDale
06-25-2005, 22:02
"Take a stick"

sounds like good advice

Mags
06-27-2005, 12:19
And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
--Job 1:7

Guess thru-hikers are satanic? :)

titanium_hiker
06-30-2005, 15:13
www.biblegateway.com

this is always good in these types of situations