PDA

View Full Version : Gear List - NOBO Thru-Hike - Starting April 1st - I have some questions!

BradyCycler
03-22-2013, 01:29
Hello everyone, in 10 short days I will be on the AT! I wanted to post my gear list and get some suggestions on a couple things I'm still up in the air on taking...

First, the list!

AT Gear

Weight (oz)

Backpack
ULA Circuit

Sleeping

Tent
TarpTent Notch

Sleeping Bag
Mountain Hardware ExtraLamina 20

Ground Pad
Thermarest NeoAir Xlite

Ground Cloth
Polycryo Ground Cloth

Pillow
Thermarest Neoair Pillow

Cooking

Pot/Stove
Caldera Sidewinder System

Pot Scraper
GSI Compact Scraper

Spoon
Optimus Titanium long spoon

Fuel
6oz Alcohol bottle – full

Water

Water Bag
Platypus 2L Bottle

Water Purification
Aquamira Bottles

Camelback Bag
Platypus Big Zip SL 3L

Filter on CB Bag
Sawyer 3-Way Inline

Footwear

Socks
2x Darn Tough Boot Socks
?

2x Injinji original weight crew socks
?

Gaiters
eVENT Shortie Gaiters

Dirty Girl Gaiters

Boots
Marrell Moab Mids w/ Superfeet inserts

Trail Runners
Marrell Barefoot Trail Glove

Other Stuff

Headlamp
Zebra H51 Headlamp

Back-up Light
LRI Photon LED Keychain Light

Poop Trowel
Coghlan's Backpackers Trowel

Knife
Swiss Army Classic

Food bag
Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack 20L

Rope
25ft Paracord
?

Toiletries

Oral Hygiene
Toothbrush, 1oz toothpaste, dental floss
?

Glasses
Glasses w/ case
?

Contacts & Solution
Contact case, extra set of contacts
?

Contact Solution
4oz Contact solution bottle

First Aid
0.5oz Neosporine, Moleskin, advil, bandages, etc
?

Bug Spray
1oz Sprayer

Electronics

Phone
HTC Incredible 2

Camera
Panasonic Lumix TS4

Mini-Tripod
GorillaPod Micro 250

Batteries
Extra phone & Camera batteries

Charger
Powergen Charger

Clothes

Shirt Base Layer
Stoic Breathe 150 Long Sleeve
?

Legs Base Later
Stoic Breathe 150 Bottom
?

Fleece
Northface Fleece long sleeve
?

Pants
North Face Paramount Peak Convertible Pants

Down Jacket
Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Down Jacket

T-shirt
North Face Reaxion Crew Top
?

Shorts
Generic gym shorts
?

Rain Stuff
Frogg Togg DriDucks

Underwear
2x ExOfficial Briefs

Gloves
North Face winter runner's gloves
?

Bandana
ExOfficio Sol Cool
?

Buff
AT Buff

Beanie
Seirus fleece beanie
?

Total

(17.98 lbs)

Never in Pack

Hiking Poles
Black Diamond Carbon Cork

Extra/Backups

Rain Jacket
Mountain Hardware Stretch Typoon

Rain Pants
Stoic Vaporshell 3L Pants

Sleeping Bag
Eureka Silver City 30 Degree

Ground Pad
NeoAir Trekker – Large

I have a feeling my base pack weight is going to be right around 20 lbs, I've included everything except my poles in the weight calculation above, so some of that I'll be wearing but a number of other things I don't have weights for yet.

For footwear, I'll be wearing either the Moab Mids w/ Injinji toe socks -or- the Barefoot trail runners w/ Darn Tough socks. Those are the show/sock combinations that work best for my feet. I picked up the eVent gaiters to try and keep the rain out of my Moabs, but I think I might not need them if I'm wearing DriDuck pants. The Dirty girl gaitors I want to wear with the trail runners just to keep debris out.

With that out of the way, on to my questions:

#1 - Am I bringing too much clothing? I'm not sure if I need a fleece long sleeve shirt in addition to the down jacket? The gym shorts would be nice to have as a sleep set/swim trunks, but they're kind of redundant due to the convertible pants. Do I even need convertible pants or would a leg base layer & shorts be fine, throwing on the Driduck pants if I get cold?

#2 - Hydration. The 2L Platypus is for camp water. I was originally going to drink out of 2x 1L smartwater bottles while hiking, but I found that I just can't reach them well when they're in the side pockets of my ULA Circuit. This means I would have to remove my pack every time I wanted a drink. So I added in a 3L Platypus Big Zip camelback so I can drink from that while hiking, and then decided for another 2 ounces I could add a Sawyer 3-Way inline filter to it so I could fill it up with stream water and not have to use Aquamira on it. Probably will only hike with 2L of water in it, but it's nice to have the capacity if needed and the weight gain is only 0.3 ounces over the 2L version. I'll probably still carry an empty 1L Power Aid bottle to use for mixing or anything else. Does this sound decent or overkill?

I really wanted to go ultralight on this and as I was starting to put together everything it looked like I might be able to hit the 15-16 lb mark but all the little things started creeping in and pushing the weight up!

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

BradyCycler
03-22-2013, 01:32
Forgot #3 - Could start my trip with my 30 degree bag and save 11 ozs weight, or would a 20 degree bag be safer to start with?

grayfox
03-22-2013, 10:25
Don't forget that as a nobo you will have an outfitter placed in a very few days of starting where you will be able to make changes to your kit. Most people send stuff home at that point. Perhaps you could send things you are unsure about TO a mail drop there so you could trade items as you find necessary at that time. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff but if a big ticket item, a sleeping bag or pack, were in question then the postage might be worth it. My plan was to start out with the smallest kit possible and add to it with mail drops as my comfort with the weight of my pack got better rather than begin with a crushing load and hating every minute of the walk--even a light load feels heavy for a few days till you get used to the weight. This proably has more to do with learning how to rebalance your body than the actual weight of your pack. YMMV Have a great hike

oroy38
03-22-2013, 12:36
I'm not a thru-hiker so maybe what I say won't mean much, but there are a few things that seem odd on your list, and I'm merely asking why rather than telling you not to bring them.

2 sets of rainwear? If anything, I would just bring the hardier set, and not have to worry about the durability of the frog toggs.
Trail runners AND boots? Maybe you plan on mailing one pair out for seasonal purposes, but not carrying both?
Poop trowel? A stick works just as well.
Why 2 pairs of gaiters?
Water: Sawyer inline filter AND aquamira. Why not just choose 1?
Camelbak: My personal opinion is to ditch it. I like them for day hikes, but found that they can get scummy after a while without maintenance on longer trips, or maybe I've just had bad luck. I'd just stick to the Platy bottles and a Sawyer Squeeze, and leave the Aqua Mira at home.

These are just small things, and you may decide to keep or ditch them. Whatever works for you!