PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Strider

TOW
06-25-2005, 19:16
Does anyone remember a hiker by the name of "Strider" that done a "yoyo" in 2001. I met him north of Erwin, past Indian Grave Gap-I believe was the name of the that area, as he was heading south.

This guy had his own system rigged up that consisted of a heavy duty cardboard frame with ropes for straps and four big ole garbage bags to put all his stuff in.

I met him again right before Trail Days in May 2001 as he said he was heading back north.

Anyone know this guy?

Footslogger
06-25-2005, 23:29
I know a Strider from 2001 but he didn't Yoyo. He along with a large group summited Katahdin on 10/1, the day before we did.

Strider was a pretty popular trail name then so this probably isn't the guy you're looking for.

'Slogger
AT 2003

TOW
06-26-2005, 13:16
this guys name could have been rambler too, it's one of the two. did i meet you up there in greenville when i was there in 2002 working for mike at the outfitters?

Freighttrain
06-27-2005, 08:27
dont know if it was strider but in March of 01 in the southern Smokies, I met a guy goin sobo who had a rope and trashbag pack, different shoes on... who claimed he had his stuff either stolen or eaten by bears or something....

wacocelt
06-27-2005, 08:52
There are 2 or 3 different Striders hiking just this year, if I'm not mistaken, same as every year. VERY popular name. Good luck with your search nonetheless! Be well.

Christopher Robin

Moon Monster
06-27-2005, 12:10
I think Strider was the name of two different hikers appearing in AT documentaries from 2001--one in TREK and the other in another shorter project.

One tip for searching for trailnames is to check ATC's listing of 2,000 miler registrants in the ATN--assuming the hiker registered. Go to Google and type the trailname followed by "site:appalachiantrail.org"--you should get links to the ATN .pdf's.

Clamslayer
07-17-2005, 19:01
I remember strider. GAME the same year as me ,Exelent hiker a real machine.. Was just ahead of alabama walking stick.