PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

SunnyWalker
03-22-2013, 23:53
Anyone bought and used this sleeping bag? If so, how did you fare? Its on for a good price at REI right now. Thanks for any input on this bag: Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Bag.

leaftye
03-23-2013, 03:28
Check out the price on Campmor.

The Cleaner
03-23-2013, 08:22
I've got the Kelty Lite Trekker bag also rated to 20*.It should be 30*.Unless you like to wear everything you have to stay warm, I would suggest another 20* bag......

Matthewrozon
03-23-2013, 10:11
I've only used it in a hammock without a bottom quilt. It was kind of cold but that was my fault. It's not the lightest or the warmest but it's really hard to beat that price point. I won't be changing mine

leaftye
03-23-2013, 10:13
It's worth looking for and understanding EN ratings. The new Kelty Cosmic Down 20, the one with the triangular patterns, should be fine for men to 20F. That's the comfort rating. Cheaper bags use the "lower limit" rating. Really cheap and shady brands use the "extreme limit" rating.

http://www.kelty.com/images/En_Testing_Graphics_CosmicDown20.JPG

RodentWhisperer
03-23-2013, 11:47
I used a Cosmic Down for some time, before I replaced it with a quilt last year. It was a little bulky for a down bag, but I found it quite comfy and warm. In fact, it's insulating capabilities were what led to my replacing it. I sleep rather warmly, so I found the Cosmic a little too warm unless temps were in the low 40s. Even then, the mummy hood felt like a little too much, and I always found myself positioning my head outside the hood. I appreciated the ability open the zipper a smidgen by my feet to get some ventilation.

All in all, I found it a good balance between price, quality, and functionality-- just a little more than I needed.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-23-2013, 15:44
I bought one for each of us....I got the women's from REI and the Men's from Backcountry.com....both under $100. They've served us well so far, but that's not really saying much: one night at 32* and 3 nights indoors after a blizzard that knocked our power out (house around 35-40*). In both cases I threw a light fleece blanket over the top to get the sense of "toasty". Don't have a liner yet, but I'd recommend one based on what I've read.

FatHead64
03-23-2013, 15:46
I got one and haven't had it out yet, but I do have a liner for it. Will be taking it out in early May - not expecting many problems except more like RW above since I tend to sleep on the warmer side.