PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

SunnyWalker
03-22-2013, 23:53
Anyone bought and used this sleeping bag? If so, how did you fare? Its on for a good price at REI right now. Thanks for any input on this bag: Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree Down Bag.

leaftye
03-23-2013, 03:28
Check out the price on Campmor.

The Cleaner
03-23-2013, 08:22
I've got the Kelty Lite Trekker bag also rated to 20*.It should be 30*.Unless you like to wear everything you have to stay warm, I would suggest another 20* bag......

Matthewrozon
03-23-2013, 10:11
I've only used it in a hammock without a bottom quilt. It was kind of cold but that was my fault. It's not the lightest or the warmest but it's really hard to beat that price point. I won't be changing mine

leaftye
03-23-2013, 10:13
It's worth looking for and understanding EN ratings. The new Kelty Cosmic Down 20, the one with the triangular patterns, should be fine for men to 20°F. That's the comfort rating. Cheaper bags use the "lower limit" rating. Really cheap and shady brands use the "extreme limit" rating.

http://www.kelty.com/images/En_Testing_Graphics_CosmicDown20.JPG

RodentWhisperer
03-23-2013, 11:47
I used a Cosmic Down for some time, before I replaced it with a quilt last year. It was a little bulky for a down bag, but I found it quite comfy and warm. In fact, it's insulating capabilities were what led to my replacing it. I sleep rather warmly, so I found the Cosmic a little too warm unless temps were in the low 40s. Even then, the mummy hood felt like a little too much, and I always found myself positioning my head outside the hood. I appreciated the ability open the zipper a smidgen by my feet to get some ventilation.

All in all, I found it a good balance between price, quality, and functionality-- just a little more than I needed.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-23-2013, 15:44
I bought one for each of us....I got the women's from REI and the Men's from Backcountry.com....both under $100. They've served us well so far, but that's not really saying much: one night at 32* and 3 nights indoors after a blizzard that knocked our power out (house around 35-40*). In both cases I threw a light fleece blanket over the top to get the sense of "toasty". Don't have a liner yet, but I'd recommend one based on what I've read.

FatHead64
03-23-2013, 15:46
I got one and haven't had it out yet, but I do have a liner for it. Will be taking it out in early May - not expecting many problems except more like RW above since I tend to sleep on the warmer side.