PDA

View Full Version : Quilt question

10-K
03-23-2013, 09:10
So I'm looking at an Enlightened Equipment 50* ProdigyX (synthetic) quilt for spring.

I've never used a quilt but I'm assuming I'm correct that your back is in direct contact with the sleeping pad?

Sees kind of uncomfortable if you sleep without a shirt.

Praha4
03-23-2013, 09:18
I recently bought a MLD Spirit-45 quilt (synthetic) for spring/summer hiking and used it on my recent Ocala NF hike. First time I've used one of these type quilts, which is similar to what you describe, with the open back. The quilt comes with an adjustable strap that closes around your back, can be adjusted as desired. And yes it was kind of strange to me, your back is in direct contact with the sleeping pad.... the quilt strap can be run under or over the sleeping pad depending on how you prefer it, a loose fit or snug fit... I run my strap over the pad cuz I toss and turn a lot at night.

I've read about some of the 3-season quilts like the Arc Alpinist 20 degree down quilt that Lint uses on his hikes... I don't think I'd like those quilts for cold weather, I just prefer the mummy bag in colder weather.

sleeping without a shirt in a quilt on a pad... well that might feel strange to me too

MuddyWaters
03-23-2013, 09:32
I use a 40F down quilt in summer a lot. I prefer it. It is more fidgety than a bag, but its lighter, and i dont get tangled up in it when turning. I change positions a lot at night, especially when taking minimal sleeping padding.

Actually I will use it from 30 up. But I sleep with clothes on. Just get it, and if you decide its not for you, easy sell.

10-K
03-23-2013, 09:40
Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot I think. I hate the idea of sleeping with a shirt on in the summertime though....

I'm testing 2 things...

1. Quilt vs. Bag

2. Synthetic vs. Down

garlic08
03-23-2013, 09:45
I take my shirt off and put it on top of the pad.

One advantage of a quilt is that it stays much cleaner than a bag.

Good luck in your decision. I'm very happy with my down EE quilt.

Stir Fry
03-23-2013, 10:43
10k you are in my age group. You also have a lot more hiking exp. them me. I tryed a quilt a couple years ago and unless it below 0, I'll take the quilt any time over a bag. I boxed up my bags after the third hike with a quilt and thats where they will most likly stay. Synthetis has its place but I prefer Down. Good luck with the decision.

Slo-go'en
03-23-2013, 11:20
Last summer on the LT I used my bag like a quilt and used a silk liner to keep from sticking to my neoair pad. That combo worked well both at the start when it was hot and then at the end when it was much cooler.

Mr. Bumpy
03-23-2013, 17:18
I am considering a light quilt for summer use too, use but I'm still not completely there yet. I split my time 50/50 between a tent and a tarp and still want the option of zipping up to help with keeping the critters out when I am not fully enclosed in a tent, plus I can't stand drafts. But then I just got back from rei and noticed this bag:

http://www.rei.com/product/746296/rei-travel-down-45-sleeping-bag

It unzips all the way around the bottom so it can be spread out flat like a quilt, but in sleeping bag mode it seemed plenty comfortable and very roomy. It seemed very warm and if I get it I'd be inclined to take it down into the 30's.

It seems like a good compromise for me and I'll probably order one up.

SCRUB HIKER
03-23-2013, 18:23
Yes, bare torso on the sleeping pad. I did this all the time in the summer when I had a mummy bag, too, and I would unzip it all the way because it was too hot. I don't see the big difference, nor do I think it's an issue. I kind of like the noise that sweaty skin makes when it unsticks from my Therm-a-Rest ... kind of like unrolling duct tape.

10-K
03-23-2013, 18:27
I ordered a 50* ProdigyX quilt (with synthetic insulation) from Enlightened Equipment a few minutes ago. At 18 oz it's about 3 oz heavier than my 35* WM bag.

juma
03-24-2013, 08:08
I'm a side sleeper and the quilt is a plus for that. I did find that quilt wings like those of JRB really make it work best for me. I got 3 of them and my 4 WM bags been hanging unused for 2 years.

Violent Green
03-24-2013, 12:42
For summer use, a quilt is really nice thanks to the venting options. I have a 12oz down summer quilt that I usually take and is good to 40deg. On those warmer nights, I cinch the foot box and leave the top & sides open. On cooler nights I close it all up and stay warm. Anything below 30deg and I go with a standard down bag. Let us know how it goes!

Ryan