PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol light - fun video - interesting....

Wise Old Owl
03-23-2013, 09:40
Alcohol is very hot and burns blue... the workmanship on this light is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOiQFMhoqMM

Capt Nat
03-23-2013, 09:57
That's an awesome lantern. Didn't know alcohol would do that!

slow mind
03-23-2013, 12:01
Reminds me of the old Aladdin style lamps on some of the boats I worked on. We would burn all kinds of junks in them, alcohol, paint thinner, kerosene ect... I don't recall the Aladdin style having what appears to be a generator though. Very handy work & very cool!

leaftye
03-23-2013, 12:50
That design seems awfully risky.

rocketsocks
03-23-2013, 14:10
Awesome! a true tinkerer...also love the full use of the fret board as well, equally impressive!

Odd Man Out
03-24-2013, 00:05
Reminds me of the old Aladdin style lamps on some of the boats I worked on. We would burn all kinds of junks in them, alcohol, paint thinner, kerosene ect... I don't recall the Aladdin style having what appears to be a generator though. Very handy work & very cool!

The antique Aladin Lamp we have uses a ring shaped wick. We always burned kerosene.

farmer.ron.99
03-25-2013, 16:25
Where can I get one??? Looks too cool.

leaftye
03-25-2013, 16:37
Where can I get one??? Looks too cool.

Look in the Youtube comments. Be careful though. It's a pressurized system that has its pressure increased with the heat of the flame. I have serious concerns that the canister could be over pressurized when the flame is at intermediate settings. The only thing I've seen work the same way was an old white gas stove that has been out of production for a long time. Unlike modern white gas stoves that only use a preheating tube to vaporize gas, this old stove used preheated gases to pressurize its fuel canister. That meant no pumping, at least after the stove was warmed up...I don't remember how the stove got started. It also meant that the pressure could runaway and cause the stove to explode. It's sort of like using a modern white gas stove with the canister too close to the flame, or a isobutane stove with wind shield that overheats the canister.