PDA

View Full Version : REI v. Campmor

Fakin the Funk
03-23-2013, 13:09
I will warn you, I have never purchased anything from REI, so I am biased. I have always found Campmor to be less expensive, and offer more items. There is a decent Outfitter here in Columbia, SC, but they are all way high on everything. I have a feeling i will be crushed by the REI loyalists here.

Special K
03-23-2013, 13:14
I have ordered from both but find Campsaver.com even cheaper.

Feral Bill
03-23-2013, 13:15
REI, Campmor, and your local outfitter all buy from multiple sources. You should too. And watch for the sales.

10-K
03-23-2013, 13:16
I like Backcountry.com myself.. :)

... and GoLite but they really blew it discontinuing so much good stuff for 2013..

yellowsirocco
03-23-2013, 13:24
REI is expensive because of the %100 Guarantee. You either get a good price or good service and you have to pick.

Fakin the Funk
03-23-2013, 13:35
REI is expensive because of the %100 Guarantee. You either get a good price or good service and you have to pick.

Never had a problem with Campmor either though. They have sent me new gear to replace malfunctioning stuff no questions asked, and dont even care if you dont return the broke stuff.

Wise Old Owl
03-23-2013, 13:37
never say never ... I am a huge fan of any outlet. I don't care for EMS ... but still walk thru ....

Lone Wolf
03-23-2013, 13:48
I will warn you, I have never purchased anything from REI, so I am biased. I have always found Campmor to be less expensive, and offer more items. There is a decent Outfitter here in Columbia, SC, but they are all way high on everything. I have a feeling i will be crushed by the REI loyalists here.

i've been buying from campmor for 28 years. lot more selection and better prices than rei

rocketsocks
03-23-2013, 13:52
Campmor fo sho

but in all fareness, I hit em all, EMS is but 3.68 miles from my house, but there's only so much I can buy there. REI is about a 45 min drive south, always enjoy going to see the larger store and the REI brand of things.

But Campmor is a 1+ hour drive North, and it never disappoints:)

yellowsirocco
03-23-2013, 13:55
Never had a problem with Campmor either though. They have sent me new gear to replace malfunctioning stuff no questions asked, and dont even care if you dont return the broke stuff.

It is not written down like that though. Campmor says they will help you for one year and everything after that is good will that can come and go depending on who you talk to.

Fakin the Funk
03-23-2013, 14:03
It is not written down like that though. Campmor says they will help you for one year and everything after that is good will that can come and go depending on who you talk to.

I ask for a specific person when I call, always blessed me.

T-Rx
03-23-2013, 14:11
I buy gear from both but in the long run have purchased much more from Campmor. Always pleased with their gear. Have not had any need for customer service with Campmor so can't compare that with REI, but REI's return policy for gear is great!

Rasty
03-23-2013, 14:27
Campmor has been my go to since I was a cub scout.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2013, 14:30
Realizing that Campmor's main business is internet and mail-order sales, I grew up in Northern NJ and remember when Campmor first got started, before they moved to their Paramus location from a cramped little place in Bogota, NJ. Until 2005, I had family close by so I visited Campmor 2-3 times a year and found their in-store selection and their staff members very impressive.

If you are ever in the market for a tent, go to Campmor's physical location if you live within 150 miles. They have a tent room with - I kid you not - at least 40 tents set up. You can spend hours there just examining each tent, going inside it for the feel, reading all the documentation. No other outfitter's showroom comes close.

Also, Campmor's book and map selection is widespread. Of course there's virtually every map & guide you'd want for NY and New England but you'll find hiking literature (and paddling & pedaling as well) covering all areas of the country.

leaftye
03-23-2013, 14:37
I buy from both. I buy from REI when it's something I might need to return, something I can only get locally (like fuel), something I want to look at before buying, and occasionally I buy from REI because it has the best price. I usually only buy from Campmor if it's the best deal because to me it's just another online store with a decent reputation.

The Campmor catalog used to have their own generic brand for clothing, particularly fleece clothing. It was dirt cheap. I miss that.

coach lou
03-23-2013, 14:45
Campmor fo sho

Campmor has been my go to since I was a cub scout.

I buy from both, but I make the 2hr road trip down to the store in Jersey.........they got ALLsorts of stuff!

takethisbread
03-23-2013, 15:02
Rank according to my frequency of use:
1. REI: priciest but best quality, stores are clean, customer service is the best in retail clothing /gear industry . Garage sales are great for bargain hunters. Rei branded items are very high quality.
2A (tie) Campmor: great everyday prices and some good hot deals. The store is a disaster, but they cater to folks like us more so than REI. Lots more variety .
2B. The Clymb: great deals. Delivery from pony express. Poor variety.
3. Backcountry.com: no store that I know of, but very best products at great deals.
4. EMS: like REI without the garage sales, an inferior branded item, no dividend, good stores ok prices. Online content useless except coupons.
5. Golite: great deals occasionally. Great brand. Little selection. Store is kinda nice.
6. Campsaver: rarely use but has great deals.
7. Whiteblaze used gear sales: nothing feels better than climbing in a sleeping bag someone from here has done God knows what in.

max patch
03-23-2013, 15:10
When buying from REI you should mentally deduct 10% from the price as you'll get that back next year. Cheaper to spend $100 at REI than $95 elsewhere. Also take advantage of free shipping to store if nearby.

I'm disappointed with the Clymb. Sounded good, haven't bought anything from them in the year I've been getting emails.

The one time I bought something from Backcountry I had to return it - and pay postage both ways coming and going.

Feral Bill
03-23-2013, 16:21
For clothes, if you are tall, LL Bean is the only source with more than a few items.

Dogwood
03-23-2013, 16:40
No one outfitter or store has all the items one could possibly desire and no one outfitter or store has all the lowest priced items either. No matter what some stores like Walmart tell us. I'm a very loyal customer to several outfitters including the mom and pop UL cottage companies but it has to be this way because NO ONE has complete ONE STOP shopping FOR ME. It's not a competition or a this verse them proposition.

RF_ace
03-23-2013, 17:06
The return policy rocks at either rei, backcountry , ems, and summit hut. It's always a bit@h to sell stuff on eBay and such. I think of it as more of an insurance policy, just Incase something should break, tear, etc.

Special K
03-23-2013, 17:08
1. REI: priciest but best quality, stores are clean, customer service is the best in retail clothing /gear industry . Garage sales are great for bargain hunters. Rei branded items are very high quality.
2A (tie) Campmor: great everyday prices and some good hot deals. The store is a disaster, but they cater to folks like us more so than REI. Lots more variety .
2B. The Clymb: great deals. Delivery from pony express. Poor variety.
3. Backcountry.com: no store that I know of, but very best products at great deals.
4. EMS: like REI without the garage sales, an inferior branded item, no dividend, good stores ok prices. Online content useless except coupons.
5. Golite: great deals occasionally. Great brand. Little selection. Store is kinda nice.
6. Campsaver: rarely use but has great deals.
7. Whiteblaze used gear sales: nothing feels better than climbing in a sleeping bag someone from here has done God knows what in.

moosejaw.com is another site that comes to mind. Only bought one thing from them and it smelled heavily of cig. smoke. The item was fine though. I found that campsaver.com had the greatest deals but I also used REI, campmor, and LL Bean. But mostly, campsaver.

Cookerhiker
03-23-2013, 17:20
...Campmor: great everyday prices and some good hot deals. The store is a disaster, but they cater to folks like us more so than REI. Lots more variety....

So let me get this straight - even though Campmor "caters to folks like us" and has "lots more variety," the "store is a disaster." What in hell are you talking about?:confused: I guess you and I have much different ideas of what constitutes a "disaster."

Freedom Walker
03-23-2013, 18:55
I have bought from both, but I just did a little comparison. Campmor and REI both have the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent for 369. each. But REI members now have 20% off, so one will save about 73. Both ReI and Campmor have a style of Black Diamond hiking poles REI for 119, but they are 99 at Campmor. I also checked the pocket rocket and they both were 39.95. All things being the same, I would go with REI because of their 20% sales and return policy.

daddytwosticks
03-23-2013, 18:59
I like to spread around my hard earned money. Stores like REI, Campmor, stick and brick local outfitters, and even Wal-Mart. :)

ChuckBrown
03-23-2013, 19:47
I have shopped at all of them, never had a problem. Hey NJ folks did they film some sopranos at campmor? I remember when they took over the camping goods store cause the owner was degenerate gambler. Next time I go to AC I think ill stop in.

mrcoffeect
03-23-2013, 19:50
i make the three hour drive to campmor at least once a year. it's like disney world for gear junkies :)

slbirdnerd
03-23-2013, 19:58
I have bought from both and got good deals from both, and Backcounty.com. I have cleaned UP at REI's online outlet! I have found them to be competitive on the things I needed, and you really can't beat the incredible customer service and return policy. Found some good deals at Campmor, too, but paying for the returns gripes me. I would spend the $20 to join REI, give it a shot, but like someone else said, shop many places--get what you need at the best price you can find it. I bout my Big Agnes Scout UL2 from some site I never heard of and got a free footprint.

RedBeerd
03-23-2013, 20:44
I live close to an REI and theory gear really got me started. I find good stuff on the clearance racks and of course their service and return policy is top notch. Makes it easy to try things and see what works. But very recently I made a large purchase...from campor. Saved a ton of money and there was a selection that REI didn't offer. But like mentioned I have been shopping around for the best deals but REI still may be the goto mainly for convenience.

R1ma
03-23-2013, 20:44
I haven't shopped at campmor is 20+ years. But it wouldn't stop me from doing it again. Loved the catalog.

Bought way too much at REI. I used to live 2.8 miles and worked 1.9 miles from a location, and it was on our way to grocery shopping. Mostly not camping stuff though lol.

Spent some money at EMS. Not the selection in store as REI, but it depends on the store. I did buy some Atlas snowshoes, with a bag and poles for $75 last fall. I've got one EMS 11.9 miles from home and another 6.7 miles away in the same shopping center that I grocery shop at, so I spend way too much time in there. My wife did get some nordic ski boots for $9 cause they were old in their clearance rack though.

Moosejaw. Online is OK. The Framingham, MA store sucks. The Ann Arbor, MI store is OK. Their East Lansing store is VERY nice. Lots of great stuff.

The store that used to be in Moosejaw's Ann Arbor location, Wilderness Outfitters, was about 10x nicer than Moosejaw, used to be my favourite store. Also in Ann Arbor is my present favourite outfitters - Bivouac. They used to be better, when I was in HS and college in the 90s, but they are still great.

Yep, I'm totally rambling.

Rusty Nail
03-23-2013, 21:10
I purchase from REI because of the return policy... BUT, today I returned a pair of OBOZ from last year and they were hesitant to refund for it. They said they are trying to crack down on customers returning stuff. She said "It is a lifetime warranty, not your lifetime... the gears lifetime" Then they noticed my +/- 5K in purchases from last year and put it through.

I have returned a lot of stuff to LL Bean with no questions, even with footwear. I was slightly put off by the hesitation today.

alxflwrs
03-23-2013, 21:22
I purchase from REI because of the return policy... BUT, today I returned a pair of OBOZ from last year and they were hesitant to refund for it. They said they are trying to crack down on customers returning stuff. She said "It is a lifetime warranty, not your lifetime... the gears lifetime" Then they noticed my +/- 5K in purchases from last year and put it through.

I have returned a lot of stuff to LL Bean with no questions, even with footwear. I was slightly put off by the hesitation today.

That's really weird and annoying. I've never had a bad experience with backcountry.com or LLBean. I would be majorly put off by that hesitation. I've talked to the gear gurus at backcountry.com for like 20 minutes before just because I was astounded at the return policy. They assured me that no matter what it could be returned, forever, no matter what...
I could understand if the shoes soles were worn out, but if the glue came loose, or they aren't performing to their advertised standards, then you best bet I'm going to return.

alxflwrs
03-23-2013, 21:23
PS- Extra 20% off at BackCountry.com this weekend.

importman77
03-23-2013, 21:36
Fakin, I'm not sure which outfitter you're talking about in Cola but I browsed through two today; one in the vista and one on (I think) Garners Ferry,(I'd rather not name them), and I know what you mean about the prices. Talk about sticker shock. I know quality stuff ain't cheap but they're ridiculous.

BryceB
03-23-2013, 22:00
REI won me over last year when we had an issue with my wifes 20yo pack that my daughter was going to start using (health reasons are keeping my wife from hiking now)... It had a foam padon the back that was deteriorating. We took it to the closer of the REIs to us to see if it could be fixed or the piece replaced. It had a good life... Well used, but stored in a closet in the house with the rest of our gear, so it wasn't improper storage.

We wandered the store while they looked at it. A while later, they said that there was nothing they coud do. Parts were not availabe and nothing would replace the part that they could find. They asked if we remembered what we paid for it and we took a SWAG at at price. They gave us store credit for that price minus the 10% dividend. An hour later my daughter had a shiny new pack.

Last week, I bought a new water filter (the old Pur Scout filters are getting hard to find, so time to repace it). Then i get the 20% coupon and dividend check. Took my receipt back to the store and they took the 20%, put the dividend towards it and refunded the difference.

no other stores take care of me this well.

coach lou
03-23-2013, 22:37
i make the three hour drive to campmor at least once a year. it's like disney world for gear junkies :)

the library and maps alone would take hours to go thru:banana

jrwiesz
03-23-2013, 23:23

I'm disappointed with the Clymb. Sounded good, haven't bought anything from them in the year I've been getting emails.

Try buying from them. You may be surprised.

I bought a pair of Montrail Mnt Masochist shoes for about $55, and later got $15 off my next order.
Bought a pair of Chilis base layer bottoms for basically the shipping cost of $3-4.

I have also been intrigued with the trips/adventures they offer.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-23-2013, 23:24

I learned the hard way at an REI garage sale the meaning of "Let the Buyer Beware". Being a brand new member and completely unfamiliar with the wonder that is modern camping/hiking gear, I allowed myself to get overenthused and trusting when told about the great deals and great stuff available at the garage sale. Only eighty dollars later I'm the proud owner of 2 new REI Stratus pads! Unfortunately when I got them home I discovered that both had irreparable valves and were absolutely worthless...and not returnable. I had brought them in to see if repair was possible...no such luck. I was very surprised that REI doesn't even check whether the garage sale goods are even usable before selling them....thus no guarantee or returns. This was not a good way to start a customer/outfitter relationship, but in the long run I guess I only have myself to blame. I guess it was naive of me to assume that since REI was selling it, even if they couldn't offer a return (like a final-sale clearance item), the merchandise would be usable...or they wouldn't sell it.

maybe clem
03-23-2013, 23:29
Campor. Excellent customer service and very fast ship. They've solved more than one emergency for me. I rarely shop at REI except the occasional sale.

prain4u
03-23-2013, 23:48
Just a shout out to the many small mom & pop and cottage industry suppliers out there. Many of them offer great prices and excellent service--both before, during, and after the sale. Many will even do custom modifications for you too.

Yes, you might have to buy your pack from "Company A" and your sleeping bag from "Company B" and your tent from "Company C--but these small places sure can do some wonderful things.

Here is a fairly comprehensive list (but by no means complete list) of cottage venders:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85162-list-of-cottage-industry-manufacturers-updated

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2013, 00:18
If there were any local mom & pop shops, that's where I'd be shopping

double d
03-24-2013, 00:43
I've bought from both REI and Campmor, I think it depends on what your looking for. REI has a great 10% policy (add another 5% if you use the REI Visa card), so the REI March payback program is outstanding and I do like the gear selection at REI. But....Campmor is cool as well-I've bought their poncho's from Campmor and their 20 degree bag (2 of them, one for the wife). So....both are good, I don't think one is better then the other except for the refund policy at REI is great as well.

Feral Bill
03-24-2013, 01:15
I learned the hard way at an REI garage sale the meaning of "Let the Buyer Beware". Being a brand new member and completely unfamiliar with the wonder that is modern camping/hiking gear, I allowed myself to get overenthused and trusting when told about the great deals and great stuff available at the garage sale. Only eighty dollars later I'm the proud owner of 2 new REI Stratus pads! Unfortunately when I got them home I discovered that both had irreparable valves and were absolutely worthless...and not returnable. I had brought them in to see if repair was possible...no such luck. I was very surprised that REI doesn't even check whether the garage sale goods are even usable before selling them....thus no guarantee or returns. This was not a good way to start a customer/outfitter relationship, but in the long run I guess I only have myself to blame. I guess it was naive of me to assume that since REI was selling it, even if they couldn't offer a return (like a final-sale clearance item), the merchandise would be usable...or they wouldn't sell it. I go to these often. Every item is tagged with the reason for its return.

leaftye
03-24-2013, 01:31
I learned the hard way at an REI garage sale the meaning of "Let the Buyer Beware". Being a brand new member and completely unfamiliar with the wonder that is modern camping/hiking gear, I allowed myself to get overenthused and trusting when told about the great deals and great stuff available at the garage sale. Only eighty dollars later I'm the proud owner of 2 new REI Stratus pads! Unfortunately when I got them home I discovered that both had irreparable valves and were absolutely worthless...and not returnable. I had brought them in to see if repair was possible...no such luck. I was very surprised that REI doesn't even check whether the garage sale goods are even usable before selling them....thus no guarantee or returns. This was not a good way to start a customer/outfitter relationship, but in the long run I guess I only have myself to blame. I guess it was naive of me to assume that since REI was selling it, even if they couldn't offer a return (like a final-sale clearance item), the merchandise would be usable...or they wouldn't sell it.

Seal or remove the broken valve and install a new valve.

takethisbread
03-24-2013, 07:38
So let me get this straight - even though Campmor "caters to folks like us" and has "lots more variety," the "store is a disaster." What in hell are you talking about?:confused: I guess you and I have much different ideas of what constitutes a "disaster."

It's disorganized, messy, dirty, poorly lit, disheveled items tested and not put away properly, items are merchandised without much thought or knowledge of customer flow or behavior. In short it looks like a store from the 1970's . I spent a life in retail, and every time I go in there I feel like having a fit. That's what I mean a mess. As far as people like us. I mean long distance hikers. Not a fashion store like Rei.*

Mrs Baggins
03-24-2013, 07:55
I love the Columbia travel shirts - excellent material, roll up-button sleeves, super fast wash/dry. But they're pricey so I thought I found their equivalent at Campmor (using their little drawings only/no real photos) catalog. Big mistake. Ordered 4 of them and had to return all 4 of them. Material was thin cheap stuff, sizing was completely wrong (I wear a small in Columbia brand and the Campmor small wouldn't even begin to close in the front - at least a 2" gap), and just overall garbage. I'll stick to what I know, price and all. I can usually hunt down good deals on the real thing.

Mrs Baggins
03-24-2013, 08:00
We have one but I stopped trying to buy much of anything there in the way of gear. It's always "we're out of stock on that but we can get it for you in ___weeks." Clothing sizes are extremely limited as well. The husband half of the married couple owners sold me my first pack. I knew absolutely nothing about them and took his word for everything. It was the worst pack I've ever owned - far too big and heavy for me. A couple years later I took my daughter in there to look around and the wife half of the couple was at the counter on the phone. She told the person she was talking to, in a voice clearly meant for us to hear "We like customers who come in and buy stuff, not the ones who just look around." We walked out. I have to drive an hour to get to any REI, but it's worth it.

mrcoffeect
03-24-2013, 08:30
the library and maps alone would take hours to go thru:banana

Oh I make a full day of it for sure. I've been know to go down the strip to the KFC , then go back for round two.

coach lou
03-24-2013, 08:56
Oh I make a full day of it for sure. I've been know to go down the strip to the KFC , then go back for round two.

Oh my....the traffic.........we could just as easy drive back to the Waterford Mall for chow!!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2013, 10:46
I go to these often. Every item is tagged with the reason for its return.

Not these....no indication whatsoever ( I still have the tags). I did notice warnings on other items such as "broken zipper", "slow leak", etc., but I deliberately bought something that listed no defect. I know it's ultimately my own fault, but I was still surprised. Even more so when the clerk very casually said that they don't even look at what gets returned...they just sell it. That seemed anathema to the whole "this is our reputation" idea....oh well...it just left a bad feeling, and the loyalty I might have had I now do not.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2013, 10:49
Seal or remove the broken valve and install a new valve.

I can't be repaired or replaced...new valves are not available....and the removal would destroy the pad anyway. So says the REI clerk. He shrugged and said "sorry".

coach lou
03-24-2013, 10:53
I can't be repaired or replaced...new valves are not available....and the removal would destroy the pad anyway. So says the REI clerk. He shrugged and said "sorry".

He meant....."Sorry....you'll never be back Mam"

BradMT
03-24-2013, 11:01
Have bought from both since the 1970's... not sure why it's an "either/or" thing...

Sarcasm the elf
03-24-2013, 11:03

Just curious, what store location was it that sold you this?

LIhikers
03-24-2013, 12:29
It's disorganized, messy, dirty, poorly lit, disheveled items tested and not put away properly, items are merchandised without much thought or knowledge of customer flow or behavior. In short it looks like a store from the 1970's ........*

Heck, those are the things that I like about the place. After all, I too am old, don't see as well as I did, am sometimes disheveled, and came of age in 1970. :D All that aside though they do have what you need no matter if you're going car camping, backpacking, cycling, canoeing or more. Heck, their shoe department covers more square feet (pun intended) than the entire Mountain Goat outfitters store I was in a few years back. No matter where you shop the old adage still applies..."Let the shopper beware". It's up to the buyer to know what they want and need because you don't always get what you pay for, but you do always pay for what you get.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2013, 13:08
Just curious, what store location was it that sold you this?

Cranston RI....for the most part I've received some really good cust service and/or advice, but now and then somebody will tell me something so wrong even I know the difference.....like a bear bell is a good investment, and it's ok to put the 50L backpack with the tubular aluminum frame in the washer (I didn't believe that one and made him look it up...mfg says HAND WASH MILD SOAP ONLY.) Anyway, my REI faith is shaken, and while I still shop there for sales and clearance, I now make a greater effort to comparison shop.

Oh, by the way, the icing on the cake of the pad purchases.....I wanted to test them by inflating them somewhere, but there was no where in the midst of the crowds at the sale, and the clerk told me it would be marked if anything was wrong. My own dumb fault for not going with my instinct and making sure the stupid things actually held air. I still have them, because I'm still in consumer shock (since Jan) and can't believe they're really $80 worth of trash.

10-K
03-24-2013, 13:17
Cranston RI....for the most part I've received some really good cust service and/or advice, but now and then somebody will tell me something so wrong even I know the difference.....like a bear bell is a good investment, and it's ok to put the 50L backpack with the tubular aluminum frame in the washer (I didn't believe that one and made him look it up...mfg says HAND WASH MILD SOAP ONLY.) Anyway, my REI faith is shaken, and while I still shop there for sales and clearance, I now make a greater effort to comparison shop.

Oh, by the way, the icing on the cake of the pad purchases.....I wanted to test them by inflating them somewhere, but there was no where in the midst of the crowds at the sale, and the clerk told me it would be marked if anything was wrong. My own dumb fault for not going with my instinct and making sure the stupid things actually held air. I still have them, because I'm still in consumer shock (since Jan) and can't believe they're really $80 worth of trash.

You've went this far.... might as well try one more thing.....

Create an account here and send one of them back and see if Cascade Designs will replace it: http://cascadedesigns.com/Service/Warranty-and-Repair.

If they do, when you get the first one back send the second one in.

FatHead64
03-24-2013, 13:20
My two favorite stores (online admittedly) are CampSaver.com and USOutDoor.com. In particular, CampSaver - I got my Osprey Aether 70 there and wanted the XL shoulder straps and hip belt. I figured they would reconfigure it and send it along. Nope - they just stuck the larger size (originally the Large for both) in the backpack and shipped it. So, whether the perfect size, or not, I have backups. I have also had excellent service at USOutDoor. Friendly people and they seem to often (not always - still comparison shop) have excellent pricing. Not REI or CampMor, but among the tops in my book.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-24-2013, 13:31
You've went this far.... might as well try one more thing.....

Create an account here and send one of them back and see if Cascade Designs will replace it: http://cascadedesigns.com/Service/Warranty-and-Repair.

If they do, when you get the first one back send the second one in.

It's worth a shot....thanks

Special K
03-24-2013, 13:44
My two favorite stores (online admittedly) are CampSaver.com and USOutDoor.com. In particular, CampSaver...

Online shopper here too. Shop Campsaver (a lot) but....OOHHHH....never heard of Usoutdoor. Thanks! Going to check them out.

FatHead64
03-24-2013, 14:12
My two favorite stores (online admittedly) are CampSaver.com and USOutDoor.com. In particular, CampSaver...

Online shopper here too. Shop Campsaver (a lot) but....OOHHHH....never heard of Usoutdoor. Thanks! Going to check them out.

For customer service, Campsaver is still probably my tops, but USOutdoor beat them on some things I have gotten lately and all went well - so I assume theirs is good too.

FatHead64
03-24-2013, 14:17
Beat them on price - harder to keep grammar straight on phone - sorry.

Theosus
03-24-2013, 15:19
I like a lot of places. REI is nice but far from me. I am a member. We buy our shoes there, if only for the 10% back at the end of the year. Mast General Store in Columbia has a limited selection, but they are good. Downtown Columbia also has "the backpacker". Very friendly and helpful, but you pay for their help with the markups. But their employees are experienced (one of the guys was a successful thru-hiker, so he knows his stuff - or at least what worked for him).

christoba123
03-24-2013, 15:31
I worked for REI many moons ago and while there were people that knew their craft, the vast majority just regurgitated low level boyscout pamphlet info. However, REI as a company gives by far the best post sale customer service in any industry. Lastly, if you have a local outfitter, support them if they are helpful and you will get more valuable information than whatever you may have saved on the internet. I've been involved in many outdoor sports as everything from store owner to athlete and there really isn't anything more pathetic than the internet expert and the best cure for them is either experience or time with an expert local shops are the best at it.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2013, 16:54
It's disorganized, messy, dirty, poorly lit, disheveled items tested and not put away properly, items are merchandised without much thought or knowledge of customer flow or behavior. In short it looks like a store from the 1970's . I spent a life in retail, and every time I go in there I feel like having a fit. That's what I mean a mess. As far as people like us. I mean long distance hikers. Not a fashion store like Rei.*

Sorry for your experience but I'm not dropping it. I've been there scores of times over the last 40 years including as recently as last Fall and I've never seen it "disorganized, messy, dirty, poorly lit, disheveled items tested and not put away properly..." It sounds like we're not even talking about the same store.:-?

shakey_snake
03-24-2013, 20:17
Maybe I'm being a bit snobbish, but I'm not anti-gear by any means, but REI has almost nothing I want.

My wife and I got gift cards for Christmas and I found it hard to find anything worth buying. Ended up with trekking poles.

HooKooDooKu
03-25-2013, 14:14
Campmor and REI have been my main camping gear suppliers for over 20 years. I can't put one above the other. They are both great.

The bottom line is that if there is something you are looking for, you've GOT to check both of them out. Sometimes one carries an item the other does not, or sometimes one of them has a particular item on sale the other might not.

Some manufacturers set prices for their items and do not allow the retail stores to sell it cheaper. For these types of items, of course REI's 10% back for members is the better deal. But very frequently, I find that Campmor sells an item for about 10% less than REI. In those cases, it a question of getting your 10% back now with Campmor or 10% back next year with REI.

I've also recently discovered backcountry.com. I don't have enough of a history with them to make many comments. I only decided to give them a try because they had a KILLER deal on a tent I had been looking at. Once I discovered they seem to basically be a reputable company, I gave them a try. I've since made additional purchases at backcountry.com when they carried something neither REI or Campmor did.

Rayo
03-25-2013, 17:54

HAHAHA!

BTW, I shop at REI because they are a model company: they treat their employees very well and their customers too. Top companies to work for every year for a reason. Let's help them maintain their approach.

rainmaker
03-25-2013, 22:26
I'm an REI member who just got his annual dividend and have bought tons of stuff from Campmor but when we got started backpacking over 35 years ago we picked up our gear at the Backpacker in Columbia. Like the man said earlier, spread your money around but one thing we always knew, if you want personalized service go to a local. The prices may be higher but if the pack or boots fit the first time out, they are worth every additional penny.

shelb
03-25-2013, 22:43
REI, Campmor, and your local outfitter all buy from multiple sources. You should too. And watch for the sales.

Very true! Plus, some local outfitters are MUCH better about handling warranty returns!

shelb
03-25-2013, 22:46
1. REI: ......

Nice image!

Ablemob
03-26-2013, 12:35
"Hey NJ folks did they film some sopranos at campmor? I remember when they took over the camping goods store cause the owner was degenerate gambler"

didn't read entire topic so forgive me if I'm repeating a response-The Sopranos' scenes were filmed at Ramsey Outdoors; also on Rt 17 in Paramus, a bit farther south.

thetentman
03-26-2013, 14:07
HAHAHA!

BTW, I shop at REI because they are a model company: they treat their employees very well and their customers too. Top companies to work for every year for a reason. Let's help them maintain their approach.

I have worked at Campmor for over 20 years and I can say they too treat the employees very well. It is a family oriented company and is run that way. Great place and glad I got the job. and you may not know it but Campmor is a Mom and Pop store too. Just bigger than most.

Cookerhiker
03-26-2013, 15:45
I have worked at Campmor for over 20 years and I can say they too treat the employees very well. It is a family oriented company and is run that way. Great place and glad I got the job. and you may not know it but Campmor is a Mom and Pop store too. Just bigger than most.

Hi Tentman - I see you live in Ridgewood, my home town (RHS '66). Moved away in '70 but over the last 40 years, never missed going to Campmor when I visited family. And as you'll see in Post #14, I lauded Campmor's tent room - no outfitter in the world has anything close.

Wise Old Owl
03-26-2013, 16:22

We have articles on how to cut these pads in half on the Hammock forum and reseal them, there should be a solution... have you contacted the manufacturer?

And Feral Bill is correct the reason for return is on the tag.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-26-2013, 23:38
We have articles on how to cut these pads in half on the Hammock forum and reseal them, there should be a solution... have you contacted the manufacturer?

And Feral Bill is correct the reason for return is on the tag.

Nothing on the tag for this one....I asked the guy and he said "I guess they just didn't want it"....like I said, I still have the tags

Tuckahoe
03-27-2013, 00:57
I tend to spread my shopping around. Use to be a Blue Ridge Mt Sport as my local shop in Williamsburg. Bought my pack, stove and waterfilter there. Sadly they moved the store to Hampton, Va and are not so local anymore. My only local outfitters are really Columbia, Northface, and other national brands at the Outlet Mall. There is an REI in Richmond, but I have only been once.

I find myself buying from stores i happen to find myself at, such as Sundog Outfitter and Mt Rodgers when passing through Damascus or mail order from Campmore, REI, Lightheart or anyplace else that carries what I want at a good price.

Bronk
03-27-2013, 02:47

Good price, good service, quality product. Pick two.

Another Kevin
03-27-2013, 05:53
Good price, good service, quality product. Pick two.

No. You can have two, but you don't get to pick. If you want to pick, you can have only one. ;)

keepinitsimple
03-27-2013, 13:28
Love them both. Can't beat Rei return/service- called them out on it more than once, and they were nothing but professional about it. I do go on tangents about how it has turned in to a high end clothing store, but rarely do that not have whatever gadget I need on the net. Campmore has great deals if you keep checking. But yard sales and thrift stores are my passion. Nothing gets my blood pumping like a yard sale find, or thift store treasure.

R1ma
03-27-2013, 19:50

I would say drive up to Worcester and check out New England Backpacker. But that's a hike from Warren.

I've only bought snow shoes from them, but their selection is pretty good for a tiny store - and their prices on Kayaks and nordic skis are pretty good.

Mags
03-27-2013, 21:43

URE Outfitters in Hope Valley.

It is where I bought some of my first backpacking equipment. A Walrus Swift and a Whisperlight! :)

http://www.ureoutfitters.com/backcountry.htm

(Enjoy the circa 2007 html, too. ;) )

Now, by RI standards it is far....but it is only 50 minutes away according to Da Google. :) A nice drive in what is left of rural RI.

But make a trip out of it. You can go to Arcadia M.A. (http://www.riparks.com/Locations/LocationArcadia.html) and do some day hikes. Stop by West's Bakery for some yummy treats before hitting the trails. :)

A.T.Lt
04-14-2013, 12:11
Campmor it is....been loyal catalog subscriber since I was 10. And being I pass it on my way home from work everyday it's very dangerous....probably pit stop in there at least twice a month.

A.T.Lt
04-14-2013, 12:14
REI's store seems too yuppy-ish. Ramsey Outdoor in NJ is good also...they carry some brands that Campmor doesn't have.

daddytwosticks
04-14-2013, 16:07
REI's store seems too yuppy-ish. Ramsey Outdoor in NJ is good also...they carry some brands that Campmor doesn't have.
Wow, yuppy-ish? Must be a local thing. The store I frequent in Asheville, NC can be described with one word: granola-ish. But then again, it's ASHEVILLE. :)

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2013, 16:42

What are you talking about?

Dogwood
04-14-2013, 17:46
It really doesn't have to be an REI V Campmoor. Both stores can have something for nearly everyone.

If one ever has a chance to visit Campmoor in person in Mahwah NJ know this. They have a shoe variety and shoe dept. specialists that are hard to beat. Most of the tents they sell are set up in a diisplay room where you can take them down, lay down in them, and examine them set-up. Their backpacking dept is very good too. They also offer close out and discontinued discounts and specials much like Sierra Trading Post. REI GENERALLY has some excellent customer service especially on returns. And, the rebate/dividend members receive as well as the early notice and entrance into garage sales can score you BIG savings. BTW, the last time I was in Campmoor, about 1 1/2 yr ago, I was about to drop $1200 when one of the sales reps mentioned if I joined the NY/NJ Trail Conference(a GOOD CAUSE!, they help maintain and preserve trails in the two states), which was about $20, I got 10 or 15 % off my total order. Saved me BIG dollars and I supported a solid cause to boot! For those considering a large purchase certainly worth asking about the discount if you join the NY/NJ Trail Conf. Another plus about visiting Campmoor in person is that there is an EMS right next door.

S'more
04-14-2013, 20:06
Wow, yuppy-ish? Must be a local thing. The store I frequent in Asheville, NC can be described with one word: granola-ish. But then again, it's ASHEVILLE. :)
yes, that would be Asheville! :D That community needs to head east a bit and make over our town!

A.T.Lt
04-14-2013, 20:15
Well I must admit I've only been to the TWO in Manhattan....lol

A.T.Lt
04-14-2013, 20:17
REI...not two!!! Damn auto correct!!

coolness
04-14-2013, 21:25
I like Campmor but recently found 2 great deals on Sport Chalet. I bought a Kelty 20 degree down bag (long) for $104 and a Big Agnes 2.5" insulated Air Core pad for $44. I did a LOT of research and shopping before buying the Kelty. Great reviews and the price was right. I also found the right color, not the neon green. I will be using the bag next weekend - I really like the loft on this bag. It's high quality and looks great. I hadn't heard of Sport Chalet but I'll be shopping there more often.

Coosa
04-14-2013, 21:54

EMS has EMS Rewards ... I got 10% back and will be going to the EMS store in Annapolis MD to buy a S2S Reactor liner with mine. AND I bought my Velocity 35* PrimaLoft [I'm sensitive to the odor of down] at EMS.

I have bought at REI, Campmor, EMS, GoLite, BackCountry Edge, Hudson Trail Outfitters, Gossamer Gear, ZPacks, NOC Gatlinburg ... I research first and look for what I want and compare prices.

And sometimes, I'll pay a bit MORE for a product just so I can try it on or get it in the color I want :banana ... Have any of you done that??

Coosa

Wise Old Owl
04-14-2013, 21:59
I am so looking for North Face fleece in chartreuse.

Coosa
04-14-2013, 22:06
I am so looking for North Face fleece in chartreuse.

Not fleece, but will this do? http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-North-Face-Womens-Chartreuse-Lime-Yellow-Down-Puffer-Jacket-Coat-S-Small-/350738752972?pt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&hash=item51a9a8a5cc

TheYoungOne
04-15-2013, 10:57
My big 4 for buying gear are REI, EMS, Campmor and Cabelas. The things I like about REI and EMS is that they are local to me, and I can physically check out things and buy them on the spot. Also REI seem to carry a lot of the more high end lightweight stuff, with EMS coming in at a close 2nd. Both are not cheap, but when they run sales, or you shop the outlet section you can get some great bargains. At the end of the day, when I decide I need to buy a pack, sleeping bag, tent or other high end expensive gear, I wait for a sale, dividens, or cruise the outlet sections.

I occasionally buy from Cabelas online, but sometimes I find myself up in Hamburg PA and I will shop in that store. The problem with Cabelas is they really don't focus on the higher end lightweight hiking/camping gear as much. Most of their stuff is more for hunters and car campers. They also carry more of the mid-range, durable but heavier camping gear, by manufactures like Eureka, slumberjack and Kelty. Cabelas use to have good prices, but over the years they have gotten more and more expensive. However for certain things, like their line of clothing, Cabelas is awesome. Why in the heck should I pay top dollar for an REI or EMS brand polartec fleece jacket or for a base layer, when Cabelas has the exact same thing with their name on it for a lot cheaper.

Campmor for me is similar to Cabelas with selection, but without the hunting and fishing stuff, and they do sell a few higher end gear for decent prices. I hate to say it but I use to buy a lot from Campmor, but as I moved more towards higher end, lighter weight stuff I use Campmor less and less. Also when I factor in shipping and the wait with Campmor, sometimes I'm just better off just going to my local EMS or REI and picking it up.

That is also a sticking point with Campmor. Having too many packages show up at my doorstep has a habit of getting my wife PO'ed. "What the heck did you get now, I thought you already had a tent" Buying at a store, I could sneak it in the house and no one will be the wiser.;)

redseal
04-15-2013, 17:38
I usually shop where the sales are. REI is nice for when I am buying a new piece of gear I am unsure of because I can return it to a store a few minutes from my house. Same goes for EMS. Backcountry is usually my go-to online store.

haolejohn
04-15-2013, 17:41
I order from both. When i shop REI.com I go to the outlet. I prefer REI b/c I have their CC reward system:)
But Campmor still gets a lot of my business.
I find campmor's customer service to be just as good as REI's.

jbsbestfan
04-15-2013, 22:34
Like several people have said previously....shop around. Always stuff on sale somewhere. My best advise is try "spadout.com" when you narrow down the item you need/want, it tels you what everyone is selling it for. It monitors REI, Moosejaw, backcountry, campsaver, just to name a very few. Lots of stores I have never heard of, but have now used. I personlly prefer Moosejaw and was surprised not to see any other mentions. If I can not find the item I want anywhere for a decent price, I get it there and get 20% instant rewards because of my user status, but even beginners get 10% and 5% on sale stuff. I can emphasize haw nice it is to have spadout.com, though.