PDA

View Full Version : Erwin to Damscus Week of 25 March

tnvarmint
03-23-2013, 15:22
For those coming across the upper elevations between Erwin and Damascus over the first half of this coming week they are calling for upwards of a foot of snow. I would be especially careful around Roan Mountain as it normally catches the brunt of the snow falls for our area. Just wanted to warn anyone who might catch this. Be safe out there!

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-23-2013, 15:56
For Beech Mtn, NC, just a few air miles from Roan and nearly 1,000' lower in elevation, Raysweather.com predicts rain turning to snow, snow showers, and snow flurries from Sunday evening through Wednesday morning. Lows in the 15-17 deg F range Sun-Wed, highs in the 20s Sun night-Wed, winds 20-30mph gusting to 50mph Monday.

AO

Lone Wolf
03-23-2013, 16:08
i'm not seein' it
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Roan+Mountain+TN+USTN0429:1:US

rocketsocks
03-23-2013, 16:18
i'm not seein' it
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Roan+Mountain+TN+USTN0429:1:US

Mishta Shmarty pants.....

tjkenney67
03-23-2013, 16:59
Currently at Uncle Johnny's trying to decide the next move. Two sobo's just got in and said Roan was covered in packed snow. The sky looks ominous here. May have a better idea tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Infidel

The Cleaner
03-23-2013, 17:17
i'm not seein' it
http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Roan+Mountain+TN+USTN0429:1:US I'd say that TWC's forecast is for the town of Roan Mtn.At almost 4000ft higher at Roan Mtn.& Carver's Gap,the weather could be much worse.WJHL,Johnson City says that the higher elevations at the state line coild see a foot of snow between Sunday & Wednesday.....

Slo-go'en
03-23-2013, 17:41
Currently at Uncle Johnny's trying to decide the next move. Two sobo's just got in and said Roan was covered in packed snow. The sky looks ominous here. May have a better idea tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Infidel

Umm, go back to Florida for a few weeks or a month? ;) I suppose that isn't possible, so just hole up for a day or two and let someone else beat a path through the snow.

Yep, this is turning into one heck of a winter all round. Glad I decided to hold off until the 3d week of April to do my hike down there!

Lone Wolf
03-23-2013, 17:45
this is normal weather for these parts this time of year. no biggie

10-K
03-23-2013, 17:49
Umm, go back to Florida for a few weeks or a month? ;) I suppose that isn't possible, so just hole up for a day or two and let someone else beat a path through the snow.

Yep, this is turning into one heck of a winter all round. Glad I decided to hold off until the 3d week of April to do my hike down there!

You coming to Erwin again? Be sure to look us up.

10-K
03-23-2013, 17:50
I'd say that TWC's forecast is for the town of Roan Mtn.At almost 4000ft higher at Roan Mtn.& Carver's Gap,the weather could be much worse.WJHL,Johnson City says that the higher elevations at the state line coild see a foot of snow between Sunday & Wednesday.....

I was up at Jerry Cabin yesterday (went to Little Laurel too) and there was still snow up there in places.

p.s. Jerry Cabin is looking like a crack house again but your shovel is still there with the handle attached... :)

The Cleaner
03-23-2013, 18:28
I was up at Jerry Cabin yesterday (went to Little Laurel too) and there was still snow up there in places.

p.s. Jerry Cabin is looking like a crack house again but your shovel is still there with the handle attached... :) I was wondering how the place looked since a sick hiker stayed there 2 nights before being hauled out by SAR.I would have went up this weekend but the weather doesn't look too good.I really need to wait till the snow melts to do a good clean-up,but that may be several days....

Del Q
03-23-2013, 21:06
10K I will be in Erwin in a few weeks, might look you up.

Really looking foreward to being back out onto the AT........need it.

Q

tnvarmint
03-23-2013, 21:08
Yeah I am sure there are various reports floating around. I was basing my original post by the facebook post WJHL made. Weather changes around here at a drop of a hat so who knows.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-24-2013, 08:57
http://averyweather.com/Forecast/Beech+Mountain

Here's Ray's update for Beech Mtn, NC, just a few air miles from Roan Mountain/Carver's Gap. Looks fugly for the next 72 hours in areas above 4,000' along the NC-TN border.

AO

alxflwrs
03-24-2013, 09:55
Yeah I am sure there are various reports floating around. I was basing my original post by the facebook post WJHL made. Weather changes around here at a drop of a hat so who knows.

A hiker had to be rescued about a mile south of Cherry Gap shelter up in Erwin. Please be careful out there.
http://bit.ly/10a9c39

Lone Wolf
03-24-2013, 10:31
i love it when hikers walk into a place dripping wet with packs on and ask if it's alright to take packs off and leave them on the floor. we're talkin' carpeting and nice furniture. clueless :rolleyes:

Del Q
03-24-2013, 13:53
Sorry, to hear, wonder if she will continue her thru?

Just packed my gear, leaving for Damascus a week from Monday.........heading to Sam's Gap, looking forward to these sections.

.............and try out the new Blue Blaze Cafe in Damascus.............Lone Wolf, like the food there?

Lone Wolf
03-24-2013, 14:00
yes the food is good

Rusty Nail
03-26-2013, 17:41
This storm turned into nothing here in NJ, But I am heading to Erwin next week to go north. What is it doing there/ what does the trail look like.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-26-2013, 18:40
Elevations between 4,000 and 5,000 near Boone got around 10", and more was expected on the western upslope along the NC-TN line where the AT is. Surely Roan and Unaka got it but good. Lows in the teens and highs in the 20s through tomorrow, at least. Further out forecast through Monday is highs barely into the 40s, lots of clouds, some rain, snow flurries maybe Saturday, overnight lows at or below freezing.

My guess is any north-facing areas will be snowy-icy for some time to come. Should be plenty of folks getting back out soon to report real-time conditions.

AO

10-K
03-26-2013, 18:46
I've picked up 6 hikers in the past 2 days getting off the trail before Sam's Gap. I've suggested to all of them that they try to hike those last 24 miles into Erwin instead of getting of the trail at Sam's Gap and all have declined.

To me it would be much better to have gotten the climb over Big Bald out of the way before the bulk of the snow fell and hike into Erwin to wait out the weather than it would be to get off the trail 24 miles south of Erwin, come into Erwin to wait out the weather and then have to struggle over Big Bald only to wind up in Erwin again 2 days later.

When you're done you're done and I get that too.

Lone Wolf
03-26-2013, 19:31
I've picked up 6 hikers in the past 2 days getting off the trail before Sam's Gap. I've suggested to all of them that they try to hike those last 24 miles into Erwin instead of getting of the trail at Sam's Gap and all have declined.

To me it would be much better to have gotten the climb over Big Bald out of the way before the bulk of the snow fell and hike into Erwin to wait out the weather than it would be to get off the trail 24 miles south of Erwin, come into Erwin to wait out the weather and then have to struggle over Big Bald only to wind up in Erwin again 2 days later.

When you're done you're done and I get that too.cell phones = wimpiness. too easy

Del Q
03-26-2013, 21:23
Thanks Lone Wolf...........looking forward to being back in Damascus, GREAT TRAIL TOWN!!!!

You as "Mayor" makes it all the better................lunch on me at 2pm Monday April 1st?

....and NO, this is not an April Fools joke. Would not joke about food on the AT!

Q