PDA

View Full Version : Thru Gear List Up For Review

Hiker8250
03-23-2013, 19:06
Hey Everybody,

With my thru starting in just days, here is my pack list/weight. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Hiker8250

The Kitchen/etc. Stuff Sack:

JetBoil Stove
3) packages Aquamira tablets
Spork
Petzl Headlamp
3) Extra AAA Batteries
Sm. Bottle Purell (2 Oz.)
Travel toothbrush
Sm. tube toothpaste (0.85 Oz.)
Cellphone/iPod power supply(cords)
Total; 2lbs 0 oz.

The Bridal Suite:

EMS Boreal 20* synthetic bag
Stuff sack
Total: 3lbs 6oz

The Pantry:

Food
Total 4lbs 13 oz.

The Manor House stuff sack:

10x8 Ft. Sil-Nylon tarp: (Dimensions not exact)
6 MSR groundhog stakes
2 Carabiners
Ibuprofen
Bandages
Imodium
Sm. Moleskin
2 oz. Dr. Bronner's scent-free liquid soap
Spaceblanket
Whistle
2 Sm. Bic lighters
Total weight: 2lbs 3oz.

The spacious walk-in closet stuff sack:

Extra socks (1 pair)
North Face fleece
Marmot light fleece
Synthetic running shorts
Extra tech shirt
Extra thermal longsleeve top
Hat (trusty ballcap)-will be wearing winter bula to start.
Redledge rain shell
3 Pair underwear

Total: 4lbs oz.

Chopped down Therm-A-rest (weights unknown)
Osprey pack cover
Awol's guidebook
iPod
Cellphone

Total Base weight (without food or water) 15lbs 3oz

Total weight without water: 21lbs 3oz.

Grand Total with 2 (1 liter) Nalgene bottles: 26lbs 2 oz.

Scale used not entirely accurate-all given weights are as accurate as I could get.

I will be wearing:
lightweight synthetic trekking pants
medium-weigth merino wool socks
Tech short sleeve shirt
Longsleeve tech shirt
Longsleeve half-zipper thermal
Burton bula hat

mountain squid
03-23-2013, 19:41
Some observations:

camp footwear
another pr of socks - always keep one pr dry for camp
seems like alot of jackets/fleece/thermal/shirts - will you ever wear them all at the same time?
bandana/buff
hydration system for drinking on the go or at least something additional to hold water
tp
needle for draining blisters
sunscreen - no leaves on the trees
how many days of food is 4# 13 oz - doesn't seem like much?!?
ear plugs
duct tape
mechanical pencil
notebook
small knife with tweezers/scissors
check backpack sternum strap buckle - it might be a whistle
switch mini bics for a regular size one - small ones are a pain
50ft of cord

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Hiker8250
03-24-2013, 19:20
Okay, let's see:
Camp shoes, duct tape, tp, small knife and tweezers, 48ft cord I've got.
Food supply is for three days. How much does one usually need?

Nooga
03-24-2013, 23:05
I don't see your pack listed.

Doc Mike
03-25-2013, 07:07
tent or hammock? didn't see one....

10-K
03-25-2013, 07:32
You could do a lot worse.... Seems to me like you've got what you need to get started and for the first 160 miles at least you'll have regular opportunities to make changes as you figure out what works and what doesn't.

It's impossible to start with an impeccably perfect gear list I think and asking for people's suggestions and advice often just muddies the water.

Just be prepared to make changes and have enough money to make them when necessary. Notice what you don't use often enough to justify carrying it and make a note on paper or your phone whenever you need something and don't have it.

mountain squid
03-25-2013, 08:27
Food supply is for three days. How much does one usually need?Obviously everyone is different. I made it to Neels Gap before noon on day 4 without doing the Approach Trail. If you are doing the Approach Trail you may need an extra day (or two). Suggest that you don't push yourself too hard in the beginning. Some extra food will give you some wiggle room if you need it, either because of weather or physical abilities.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Hiker8250
03-25-2013, 10:39
Hey, pack is an Osprey Atmos 65L.

Sil-nylon tarp and Tyvek groundsheet make up my tarp tent, along with trekking pole.

Rayo
03-25-2013, 17:45
Hey, I would recommend the following:

RECONSIDER:
-bring one package of aquamira at a time (one package will last you 3-4 weeks)
-extra AAA batteries. Your iPhone has a flashlight if your batteries die. Your headlamp will warn you a few hours (which = days) before the batteries are dead.

-4 lbs food? That's enough for about two days, no? Consider 2-3 lbs. food/day (also water weighs about approx 1 kilogram/liter)

-you only need 1 lighter (I carried the same one all 136 days and it never died or stopped worrking. Keep it in your food pot so it stays dry)
-moleskin? replace with duct tape
-bandaids? replace with duct tape
-dr bronners and instant hand sanitizer?
-why 2 carabiners? only need 1, no?
-whistle? (smart, but not necessary)

-bring two pairs of socks (instead of 1--one pair can be used for gloves when it's real cold)
-ditch 3 pairs of underwear (1 pair of compression shorts or ex-officio boxers is sufficient for entire trip)
-why two fleeces? (I would bring the warmer one and leave the lighter one at home)
-why extra thermal top? (no extras needed, you'll be ditching them or sending home--almost guaranteed)

-I would leave iPod at home and have sent to you if you want later (that's just me though)

-Ditch two nalgenes or two gatorade bottles (much, much lighter, and you can replace every so often with new ones)--nagelenes are not common amongst thru hikers, most use gatorade bottles or your preferred plastic bottle. I liked smart water bottles because they're tall and narrow.

I just posted a video on YouTube with my gear setup from my thru-hike last year. Give it a watch, it may help you make some last minute decisions (especially on your clothes). Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHn62sePZ8

You probably won't need a two long sleeve shirts to hike in, plus two fleeces, and an extra thermal top.

This is all the clothing I had for the entire trail:
-3 pairs socks
-1 pair compression shorts
-1 pair cargo shorts nylon
-1 pair camp shorts
-1 camp shirt
-1 hiking shirt
-1 rain jacket
-1 down jacket
-1 wool hat
-2 polyester bandanas

Hope this helps. You can PM me for more info. Hope you didn't already leave...if you did, you'll figure it out. We (almost) all do.

Chaco Taco
03-25-2013, 17:46
Great packing list. Campshoes, dont do it. It's a scam, dont buy into it. :eek::sun If you must, just get the cheapo shower flops. Cost ya $5 and they are replacable for cheap either in hikerboxes or Dollar General, which are everywhere. Paracord, 50 feet, yes. Sometimes you have to get creative, especially with a tarp. I wrap duct tape around the Bic lighters and carry 2-3. I keep them in my diddy bag and one on me. You can also wrap duct tape around your Poles. This works really well. Ditch the spaceblanket, tyvek works just fine. If you are carrying AWOL's book, there should be some blank pages in it for keeping notes or whatever. I did not keep any journals, just memory cards. Lots of storage on video cards and are great for video journaling.
Honestly, I would not worry about the food thing. I still dont ever get my food bag just right. Taste change. Hiking food outta town is pretty sweet. Road beers are the best. Just check the mileage for resupplies and get info from Shelter Registers about town info changing. Hostel info usually gets posted that way.