PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a summer sleeping bag

Brock
06-26-2005, 15:15
Anyone have any good suggestions for a lightweight summer sleeping bag. Ideally, I would like to use it in my hammock for spring - early fall camping.
Thanks.
My other bag is a 20 degree North Face and is too heavy for summer.

wacocelt
06-26-2005, 15:27
There are quite a few things we'de have to take into account before being able to suggest an alternative, Brock. Where will you be using the bag?
I was hiking through Southern Virginia last week and would have been MUCH happier with my 20 degree North Face than with the fleece liner I decided to carry since I was hiking in SUMMER ! Ahhhhhahahahaha, jokes on me.
Are you a hot or cold sleeper? I sleep fairly hot, even though I grew up in Texas, thus my reasoning in just a fleece liner, with polypro top and bottoms for back up. I met a guy who was still carrying a 15 degree bag and sleeping with it fully zipped. It's been an unseasonably cold summer IMO.

I'de say go with the cheapest synthetic 40 degree bag you can find, since the odds are you'll be using it MAYBE 3 months of the year and your 20 will do you fine the rest of the time.

I'm just Hiker Trash though, so I'll see my way out. Good luck and happy hiking! :D

BlackCloud
06-26-2005, 15:34
I use a $100 synthetic Mtn Hardwear bag that is designed to be used as a bag liner in winter or on its own in the summer. It's rated to 40, weighs nothing, and packs nicely...

wacocelt
06-26-2005, 15:38
...weighs nothing...

Holy Four Teated Grass Grazers! What kind of material is that? I'm gonna make ALL of my gear outt'in it!

jackiebolen
06-26-2005, 16:28
If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and want to buy a bag that will last for while go for:

Mountain Hardwear Phantom, 40 degree. Weighs just over a pound and about $200. I love it! It's an awesome pack and packs crazy small.

Also, I've heard plenty of good things about Western Mountaineering. Same price range and weight as the mountain hardwear down bags.

Footslogger
06-26-2005, 18:54
Take a look at the REI Travel Sack

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11429496&parent_category_rn=4500657&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I hiked with this bag from Pearisburg to Glencliff in 2003 and it worked fine. Good value for $60

'Slogger

mountainfreedom
07-07-2005, 17:26
What up Brock?
Heading back out? Drop me a line....I want to hear about some of your adventures.
Pete (from Michigan, New Mexico and now Massachusetts)