PDA

View Full Version : My Pack Setup from 2012 Thru-hike - VIDEO

Rayo
03-23-2013, 23:47
Hey WB community, so I finally created a video on my pack setup and the gear I used on my thru-hike last year. It only took me about 8 months of putting it off, but I finally got it made, haha.

If you're planning your hike, this video may have some suggestions to consider. Let me know if you have any questions/comments. Happy planning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQHn62sePZ8

levibarry
03-24-2013, 03:01
Nice video, and good tips.

Turk6177
03-24-2013, 09:15
Rayo, can you tell me where you got the material for your wind screen for your stove? I have been using the foil from a casserole dish and it just doesn't pack as well or look as durable as yours. Thanks in advance for your answer.

nastynate
03-24-2013, 09:52
Nice video. You seemed to carry a lot less clothes than most lists I've seen. No long base layers and no long mid layers. What was your normal camp attire or did you just go straight to your bag if it was cold?

q-tip
03-24-2013, 12:13
Superior Video-a must see for noobies.....

Rayo
03-24-2013, 15:41
Hey Turk - I bought my fancy feast stove and the windscreen was included. The guy, Zelph, is on WB actually. I tried a few times making alcohol stoves and wasn't happy with the product. As I ran out of time, I decided to buy a fancy feast one.

The windscreen is corrugated aluminum, and Zelph sells 'em separately for $5. Mine is still in great shape and I still use the original paperclip, haha.

See link here for Zelph's site: http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/ez-fold-windscreens.php

Rayo, can you tell me where you got the material for your wind screen for your stove? I have been using the foil from a casserole dish and it just doesn't pack as well or look as durable as yours. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Rayo
03-24-2013, 15:47
Nastynate: Hey, thanks. Yeah, I would wear my running shorts, and black polyester t-shirt in camp with flip flops. When it was cold, I added my down jacket to the mix; when it was very cold, I added the down jacket and the rain jacket and sat with my legs inside the sleeping bag or bag liner. The wool hat was a nice tough for whenever it was nippy.

I did start with rain pants and the pant extension, but I sent both rain pant and pant bottoms home after hiking the first few days in cold and rain and never using either. I never regretted not having pants, even when hiking in snow, shorts were sufficient.

It's easy to overdo the clothing, but in reality many of these clothing brands are expensive for a reason: high quality and durable even after 100+ days of consecutive wear. And if something does wear out, hiker boxes (especially the first few hundred miles or so, are well stocked with nice gear.

Nice video. You seemed to carry a lot less clothes than most lists I've seen. No long base layers and no long mid layers. What was your normal camp attire or did you just go straight to your bag if it was cold?

Rayo
03-26-2013, 18:19
I would like to add that Merino wool is my favorite fabric. Thanks for watching.

Rocket Jones
03-26-2013, 19:02
Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Rayo
03-28-2013, 17:22
Hey, thought I'd mention that I just updated my blog. (www.followingblazes.blogspot.com)

My first blog update in about five months, and for anyone interested, I blogged every day of my thru-hike. Enjoy!

LionDog
03-28-2013, 19:13
Great set up Rayo, thanks for posting.

Rayo
04-04-2013, 18:28
Thanks, LD.

Big Dawg
04-05-2013, 00:07
Great video! I'll have to check out your blog too. I followed it all last year,,,, great reading!

Rayo
04-05-2013, 14:38
BD, that's great to hear! I wrote every night, and it was never a pain, I always enjoyed it. My biggest hope in writing it was that it would be read, so thanks for confirming that part.

Also, writing a blog is probably my biggest recommendation to thru-hikers, there's so many new experiences in a short amount of time that writing them down ensures you'll get to laugh and cry with 1,000 different memories rather than the 10 that most stick out in your mind.

Write on!