PDA

View Full Version : Food bag vs. canister - Seems to me a canister has more pro's than con's?

faxanadu
03-24-2013, 01:47
Pro's

1. Food is safe
2. Easy access
3. Easy setup
4. Multiple uses (water, table, sit)

Con's

1. Weight
2. Bulky

I've never actually ran into a bear myself but, after watching videos on youtube and reading about them ... well ... they seem pretty dang intelligent and clever. My mind was somewhat blown after watching the video below. Yet still... i'm more worried about the smaller animals/critters getting to me food. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k

juma
03-24-2013, 08:14
easy access isn't that easy if its a little cold. trying to pinch that lock down with cold fingers on a cold morning is hard. you need a metal tool to do it. otherwise I think you are right on. Out west a fair number of people carry them all the time just to avoid any food loss and the antics of trying to hang food.

Malto
03-24-2013, 08:23
You hit the pros and cons, now the hard part, weighing them to make a decision. Actually, for me it's pretty simple. I would rather carry extra lbs of food on each leg than a big bulky canister. But you are the one carry the weight.

Chaco Taco
03-24-2013, 08:28
Look at the bear vault

Coffee
03-24-2013, 08:36
I took my new Bearikade on a short trip this weekend. It is bulky but light and super easy to open with just a coin in any temperature. It was probably 20-25 degrees in the morning. I think the Bear Vaults open easier with a credit card to depress the plastic ... There was a YouTube clip a while back demonstrating this...

moldy
03-24-2013, 09:14
The canisters are too heavy and the bear cables/bear boxes are too plentyful in bear country. Those spreading the "fear the bear" movement are selling canisters. Bear bells, tin whistles, mace and snake bite kit sales must be off.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2013, 09:23
Pro's

1. Food is safe
2. Easy access
3. Easy setup
4. Multiple uses (water, table, sit)

Con's

1. Weight
2. Bulky

I've never actually ran into a bear myself but, after watching videos on youtube and reading about them ... well ... they seem pretty dang intelligent and clever. My mind was somewhat blown after watching the video below. Yet still... i'm more worried about the smaller animals/critters getting to me food. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7oayAaf4k
You're at the point now where you just gotta stop looking at the "numbers" and go hike with it, because you seem to be "sold" on its worth/benefits. Personally, I don't care about weight, but to me it's all about the bulk, I just don't want the bulk, and I don't need a table/chair or an extra water container. And I don't see how access could be any easier. And finally, bears and other critters don't concern me; my food is perfectly safe with me in my tent.

This thread is much like many other "What gear do I need" threads, such as the common, "Do I need gaiters" threads. So many people make fun of gaiters and how hikers are just trying to look like a "hiker" by wearing them. However, I started my hike without them and 1,000 miles later I decided I needed them to keep mud from accumulating in my shoes and peebles/sticks out.

Morale of the story, you just need to get yourself one of these containers, since you seem to think you need them and hike with it. Or you can start off without it, either way you're just going to hear peoples opinions. Only experience will answer the question.

faxanadu
03-24-2013, 11:26
I took my new Bearikade on a short trip this weekend. It is bulky but light and super easy to open with just a coin in any temperature. It was probably 20-25 degrees in the morning. I think the Bear Vaults open easier with a credit card to depress the plastic ... There was a YouTube clip a while back demonstrating this...

Is it true the Bearikade has rough edges that can cause tears in your bag?

faxanadu
03-24-2013, 11:32
You're at the point now where you just gotta stop looking at the "numbers" and go hike with it, because you seem to be "sold" on its worth/benefits. Personally, I don't care about weight, but to me it's all about the bulk, I just don't want the bulk, and I don't need a table/chair or an extra water container. And I don't see how access could be any easier. And finally, bears and other critters don't concern me; my food is perfectly safe with me in my tent.

I've heard this from quite a few people and am inclined to agree but, is there any information backing this? My logic is that most animals are naturally afraid of humans and i find it hard to believe native americans and early man hung their food in trees like we do now days.

Coffee
03-24-2013, 11:39
Is it true the Bearikade has rough edges that can cause tears in your bag?
I wouldn't say the edges are rough but they do appear to rub against the pack when the pack is full. I have a pack liner that I hope will take the brunt of any abrasion but time will tell...

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:49
Only way to find out is to buy one and hike with it. Is it worth the 2 to 2.5 lbs? For you, you'll know the answer soon enough. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:53
I intend to get one for the simple reason that I live in GA and I believe that the current 5 mile section is just the beginning. When this regulation expires I believe it will be renewed with a larger area. Neels to Low Gap Shelter at a minimum will be added to the current section. Just my opinion, I have no inside info on this.

Pedaling Fool
03-24-2013, 11:56
... is there any information backing this? ...As in scientific reseach, no. Only people's exeprience and some of the best information on bears, http://www.bear.org/website/

I understand and accept that it is possible that a bear will attempt to steal my food from me, but just because I hang my food (which I don't) doesn't really remove that possibility. If a black bear is willing to attempt to steal food from a hiker in a tent he's not that far removed from taking it from you when its on your back or when your eating it.

But I don't want to debate it, it's already been debated to death. The simple fact is more people get their food stolen out of trees than from an occupied tent. But you're fix for this problem is a bear-proof container, so give it a try and let us know how it works out for you.

As for other animals, I've never had a problem, but I do know it's a risk, but again, these other animals have gotten it from hanging food more than tents.

Wise Old Owl
03-24-2013, 12:21
Don't forget this:

http://www.grubpack.com/

Nooga
03-24-2013, 19:13
[QUOTE=john gault;1447514]You're at the point now where you just gotta stop looking at the "numbers" and go hike with it, because you seem to be "sold" on its worth/benefits. Personally, I don't care about weight, but to me it's all about the bulk, I just don't want the bulk, and I don't need a table/chair or an extra water container. And I don't see how access could be any easier. And finally, bears and other critters don't concern me; my food is perfectly safe with me in my tent.

I agree that sleeping with your food makes it safer from bears, but don't forget about the mice.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2013, 19:21
Even though you have 4 pros and 2 cons, they're not all equal, at least not to me. I'm not a gram weenie but I'd rather not bear the weight (sorry about that:D) of the canister and lose flexibility because of the bulk.

[QUOTE=john gault;1447514]...I agree that sleeping with your food makes it safer from bears, but don't forget about the mice.

Met a guy on the Colorado Trail carrying a canister who said the little guys i.e. mice were his prime concern. Maybe they should have been mine - a little past the half-way point, I woke one morning to discover a hole in the tent floor but they never got my food which was right beside me - yes, I slept with my food for the entire CT hike.

Malto
03-24-2013, 19:38
Met a guy on the Colorado Trail carrying a canister who said the little guys i.e. mice were his prime concern. Maybe they should have been mine - a little past the half-way point, I woke one morning to discover a hole in the tent floor but they never got my food which was right beside me - yes, I slept with my food for the entire CT hike.

look at the bright side, your $200 tent saved your $5 food bag!!

i am also more concerned with mice than bears when I sleep with my food (I use a tarp not a tent). If mice are your concern then the Ursack minor could be a light and flexible alternative.

Cookerhiker
03-24-2013, 20:20
look at the bright side, your $200 tent saved your $5 food bag!!

i am also more concerned with mice than bears when I sleep with my food (I use a tarp not a tent). If mice are your concern then the Ursack minor could be a light and flexible alternative.

Ha, ha! Well, I made out OK. No problems on the rest of the hike or the next hike on the Superior Trail where I had a few wet nights. Mountain Hardwear offered another tent as a warranty replacement so I ended up with a lighter-weight tent.

Meanwhile, I'll use my Bear Vault for this year's JMT hike.

faxanadu
03-25-2013, 11:45
I sold my TV to my roommate and decided to use some of that money to buy a Bearikiade weekender. I also decided to go with a pack that was a 1000ci bigger but the same weight (ULA Circuit).

colorado_rob
03-25-2013, 12:22
I sold my TV to my roommate and decided to use some of that money to buy a Bearikiade weekender. I also decided to go with a pack that was a 1000ci bigger but the same weight (ULA Circuit). I think you'll be happy using it. Couple of other Pros: they make a nice little camp seat, and I actually think they are nice for organizing. If you ever plan on hiking the PCT or even just the JMT, you'll need one anyway. and of course you never have to worry about rodents with one.

Those plastic OP sacks, "grubpacks" and such work great... for about a week or two.

My wife and I carried a Berikade Weekender on the JMT, never had any problem opening it. The Bear Vault is a little tougher to open, and a full 8 oz heavier than the same size Berikade. I think you made a good choice. If later you find you don't like the extra 31 ounces of protection and convenience, you should be able to sell it for fairly easily without giving it away on price.

Bulk: The WE Berikade fits great right in the top of both of my 46L packs, never any problem with the "bulk". When my food supply is such that there is room in the berikade, I put my stove and fuel canister in there as well, so all cooking things, including food, in one place.

faxanadu
03-25-2013, 14:30
Bulk: The WE Berikade fits great right in the top of both of my 46L packs, never any problem with the "bulk". When my food supply is such that there is room in the berikade, I put my stove and fuel canister in there as well, so all cooking things, including food, in one place.

I liked how the diameter on it was a little narrower than the other options. The bear vault seemed gigantic to me. One thing that i thought of yesterday when i was purchasing it was how minuscule 100 dollars extra is for something that will last my lifetime.