PDA

View Full Version : Neel Gap to Unicoi Gap, crowded shelters.

HeartWalker
03-24-2013, 09:25
Went out for a tune up hike this Thurs and Fri with my new hiking buddy. We are starting on April 08. Thurs was definitely as cold as I have seen this year with 23 degrees and wind howling. When I got to Low Gap around 4:30 I was hoping to get in the shelter but was surprised to see over 20 tents scattered around. Apparently the shelter filled up around 2 pm. Anyway looks like more hikers out there this year than 2010. If you plan on using shelters best to arrive early. Be careful out there.

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 09:33
Went out for a tune up hike this Thurs and Fri with my new hiking buddy. We are starting on April 08. Thurs was definitely as cold as I have seen this year with 23 degrees and wind howling. When I got to Low Gap around 4:30 I was hoping to get in the shelter but was surprised to see over 20 tents scattered around. Apparently the shelter filled up around 2 pm. Anyway looks like more hikers out there this year than 2010. If you plan on using shelters best to arrive early. Be careful out there.

Sure...... everyone not carrying a tent should stop hiking at 2 pm.

:sun

HeartWalker
03-24-2013, 09:48
Makes me wonder since it is Spring break that there must be a lot of weekenders out. I like to generally get an early start and arrive at a shelter 5 or 6ish and during my thru in 2010 I didn't have a lot of problems staying in shelters. No big deal in good weather but they are nice during rain and snow.

Malto
03-24-2013, 10:22
This is likely mainly NoBo thrus. Look at trail journals and see the number of folks posted at a given location. At those are just the ones on TJ.

Stir Fry
03-24-2013, 10:53
Anyone have contact with Amacola to see howmany checked in so far.

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:05
Anyone have contact with Amacola to see howmany checked in so far.

With the caveats that 1) not everyone signs in at AFSP that starts there, and 2) the great majority of people that start at Springer don't sign in at AFSP --thus these numbers don't tell how many hikers have started a thru and are waaaay understated in that regard:

AT Shuttler Ron Brown reported that as of 3/19 530 people had signed in at AFSP. This is an increase over last years number of 450 as of the same date.

Slo-go'en
03-24-2013, 11:28
And of those 530, wonder how many have already gone home?

LDog
03-24-2013, 11:36
Sure...... everyone not carrying a tent should stop hiking at 2 pm.

:sun

At Neels gap Pirate said "Never hike after 2 pm." I thought that was funny. Then it rained every afternoon starting after 2 ...

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 11:40

About 200 that will show up at GSMNP and say "what permit ? I didn't know about no permit".

:D

max patch
03-24-2013, 11:42

A couple weeks ago when it was really cold in GA both Ron Brown and Survivor Dave had a couple of days where they "shuttled in reverse" - they had more calls from hikers on the trail wanting to get off the trail than those that wanted to get on. While the majority of calls were probably just for a nite in a hotel, they also had some calls from hikers who were getting off for good.

Stir Fry
03-24-2013, 11:47
With the weather so far this year I would not be surprised if drop out is arround 50% by the time people get to the GSMNP.

max patch
03-25-2013, 10:34
Snowing near Woody Gap right now according to FatMans weather station.

Groomez
03-27-2013, 07:55
I seriously hope the ones stopping at 2 pm aren't planning on thru hiking. Why would you stop just to "secure" a shelter when there are another 5-6 hours of hiking left in the day?

Razor
03-27-2013, 10:07
So far this year there have been an average number of starts . There have been a lot of people exit the trail but no telling how many have or will return. There is no doubt that the average of 20% drop out by Neel will be valid though. Even those who say the cold is bad ,don't realize that we are still in the normal or average range for March.