PDA

View Full Version : Public Transportation Pt Clinton to Hamburg & Cabelas

Coosa
03-24-2013, 11:56
So, Baltimore Jack, suggests visiting Cabelas when stopping in Port Clinton. I'm taking a Zero and ... since I'm a hunter who never shot anything yet and have hunters in the family, I'd like to get from Port Clinton on a Saturday to Hamburg and back so I can visit and drool ... oops, is that allowable? Sure because it's a HYOH kind of world.

And I look up the LANTA bus schedule and there appears to be NO route from Pt Clinton the 6 miles to Hamburg.

How can I get there if I don't really want to walk 12 additional miles to/from?

Coosa
03-24-2013, 12:14
I stand corrected ... it's 'only' a MILE to Hamburg. I guess I'll WALK.

I probably need the exercise to keep from getting stiff.

:rolleyes:

Lyle
03-24-2013, 12:14
In 2006 Cabelas ran a shuttle from the store to the pavilion in Port Clinton. Had to call to make arrangements, they would come and get you when the employees had a bit of free time.

Hamburg is kinda spread out, and Cabelas isn't really in Hamburg, it's between Hamburg and Port Clinton. I would catch the shuttle, then hike on into town from there.

Coosa
03-24-2013, 12:17
Thanks, Lyle, I'll put their phone number on my schedule, just in case. Maybe some hunter will have mercy on me. :banana

fiddlehead
03-24-2013, 12:32
You can probably skip Hamburg.
Walk the mile to Cabelas and you'll pass a WalMart on the way, a new Motel (with a nice sportsbar) across the hi-way and most of the popular fast food restaurants within 300 meters.
Also, a Lowes, Jewelry store, RV center, gas station.
Not sure what you want to see in Hamburg unless you want to play tennis or go to the F&F shop to trade in some gold.
They might still have a movie theater.

Don H
03-24-2013, 12:44
Where are you going to stay while in P.C.?

I hitched to and from Cabelas with no problem.

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 13:06
You can walk the Schuylkill River Trail most of the way to Cabelas. You have to switch over to some side streets but it keeps you off the main highway.

http://www.schuylkillrivertrail.com/pdfs/hamburg-to-pottsville5-2011_2.pdf

tiptoe
03-24-2013, 13:50
I walked along the highway. Not the prettiest route, or the safest, but it can be done.

WingedMonkey
03-24-2013, 13:59
You can walk the Schuylkill River Trail most of the way to Cabelas. You have to switch over to some side streets but it keeps you off the main highway.

http://www.schuylkillrivertrail.com/pdfs/hamburg-to-pottsville5-2011_2.pdf

Here's the close up of the side streets from Kernsville Dam trailhead to Cabelas

http://www.schuylkillrivertrail.com/pdfs/Kernvsville%20Trailhead%205-2011.pdf

Coosa
03-24-2013, 14:39
I will walk to Cabelas ... Thanks for all your help. NOW, I have another ... Do I go into Rangely or not?

Or the bigger question, is carrying 6 days of food from Andover to Stratton gonna break my back?

Thanks, Coosa

Wise Old Owl
03-24-2013, 18:46
Hang on I will call a manger tomorrow.

Coosa
03-24-2013, 19:43
What or whom?

fiddlehead
03-24-2013, 21:13
Yeah, Carrying from Andover to Stratton probably will break your back.
Just kidding but it's up to you of course.
Rangely is a tourist town. Has lots of options for eating/sleeping but prices are up much higher than Stratton.
Stratton is a workingman's town. A bit rougher, cheaper but more compact.

I think most times I've done Maine, I had my share of rain and was remember was glad to get to Rangely to dry things out.

SCRUB HIKER
03-25-2013, 01:34
You can also hitch in between the Cabelas/Wal-Mart area and Port Clinton. I bought new shoes at that Cabelas and took advantage of their one-year store warranty on all footwear to get a free replacement once my hike was done. Incidentally, I replaced those shoes from Cabelas in Rangeley, which is part two of your question. I would suggest going into Rangeley and breaking up your resupply load, because that whole section is a doozy. The AT is one continuous ass-kicking (albeit a stunningly beautiful ass-kicking) from Glencliff, NH to Stratton, so whatever you can do to carry a small food load, you should do it. Rangeley is pretty, and it's expensive with no good cheap place to stay overnight as I recall, but the grocery store is on the trail-ward side of town so you don't even have to go into town if all you need is food.

Coosa
03-26-2013, 00:03
On another thread, I found out about the Hiker Hut at 2 Pine Road, Rangeley .... check this out .... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hiker-Hut-at-2-Pine-Road/218714421595817

Coosa
03-26-2013, 00:07
One reason I want to go to Cabelas is that they carry some clothing in 'larger women sizes' ...