PDA

View Full Version : tarptent double Rainbow

RCBear
03-24-2013, 18:54
I have been planning to purchase an rei quarterdome t2. So far I have liked everything I've seen and read about the tent and planning to use it on my section hike at the end of August with my girlfriend.

However I started looking at the tarptent DR and like the design, and certainly the weight savings. Apart from price and weight, can anyone with experience with both, or even one or the other, give me feedback on the two that includes experience in durability, packabikity, condensation, comfort and ease of setup? The good, the bad, and the ugly would be great.

Thanks!

Rocket Jones
03-24-2013, 19:28
I love my DR. I've only had minor internal condensation once, and that was a night where I buttoned up because it was really cold. Most of the time, I leave one side open with the 'porch' set up which I really like. I've never been in a full-on driving rainstorm with it, but have spent a night with a steady rain and had zero problems with moisture getting in.

I love the extra room, my pack and all my gear fit comfortably inside with me, and I can sit up comfortably inside. The one negative are the non-vertical side walls, it's not really a biggie and this is easily correctable. Do a search here on WB for DR mods, someone posted a great series of pictures explaining how they pulled the side walls out simply.

As for packability, I made a separate pole bag and a new flatter and wide stuff sack. It just fits into my outer pack pocket better when it's not the long stuffed 'sausage'.

If there's something I wish were different, it would be a smaller footprint, which is silly of course because it's a roomy two-man tent.

bigcranky
03-24-2013, 19:39
We owned a DR. It's a very well made tent, and the design makes it very storm worthy, especially in high winds. However, the walls on the two long sides slope inward which decreases the interior room. It was difficult for both of us to sit up at the same time to change, pack gear, etc. (The wind shedding ability is of course directly related to the slope of the walls...)

We replaced it with a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

Rasty
03-24-2013, 20:10
Great tent for solo or two person use. Love mine.

RCBear
03-24-2013, 22:55
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the first hand feedback. The setup looks pretty configurable from the pictures I've seen. I hike with poles so that is also appealing to me from an efficiency standpoint.

Rocket Jones
03-25-2013, 05:13
You don't need the poles to set it up. I've never needed my tent to be freestanding, so it's been a non-issue.

Chaco Taco
03-25-2013, 08:34
Another vote for Tarptent DR. Great two person, amazing solo. Take advantage of the seam seal video as well.

gizzy bear
03-25-2013, 09:39
We owned a DR. It's a very well made tent, and the design makes it very storm worthy, especially in high winds. However, the walls on the two long sides slope inward which decreases the interior room. It was difficult for both of us to sit up at the same time to change, pack gear, etc. (The wind shedding ability is of course directly related to the slope of the walls...)

We replaced it with a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

thanks for all the responses ...just wondering BC if what you are saying is... if we "modify the walls" that we would sacrafice the tents ability to withstand high winds?

Rocket Jones
03-25-2013, 10:50
The mod to the walls is a small clip and strap that gently pulls the inner mesh out to be more vertical. For high wind situations, the door flaps are deployed and that should have no effect on the innter mesh.

bigcranky
03-25-2013, 12:36
thanks for all the responses ...just wondering BC if what you are saying is... if we "modify the walls" that we would sacrafice the tents ability to withstand high winds?

No. The Double Rainbow design makes it very storm worthy, and you can't do anything to make that worse. You can, however, use your hiking poles inside the vestibule (but outside the door) to add a lot of wind support and rigidity. Just jam the handle up at the top where the door (long wall) hits the canopy, and stick the sharp end in the dirt inside the vestibule and let the stick run along the side wall/door. Doing this on both sides provides excellent support for the long main support pole.

The Lunar Duo has vertical long side walls, which provides a dramatic increase in interior volume. We've had it out in some pretty good storms, and it seems very solid. The LD uses our trekking poles for the main support. Also, the canopy is one single piece of silnylon, so there are no seams over the living area that need to be sealed, or that would ever leak.

RCBear
03-25-2013, 13:37
Thanks Bigcranky. going to add that one to my research as well. i like that the tarp/tent (not just the company) designs seem to bring you closer to the environment but still offer good protection.

bigcranky
03-25-2013, 13:49
This link might help (http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/). Some useful photos.

More links here (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=7052&disable_pagination=1&id=VqjdLSXc:24.18.225.83), here (http://atlashaditeasy.com/tag/tarptent-double-rainbow/), and here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?60354-double-rainbow-or-lunar-duo).

RCBear
03-25-2013, 15:10
Great Link BC. love head to head comparison's. course until we put something through our own field testing it's hard to know for sure, but the internet sure makes weeding things out easier than 15 years ago!

mankind117
03-25-2013, 15:52
If you use trekking poles the Tarptent Stratospire 2 is the way to go. For the same weight as the double rainbow you get a fully double wall shelter with a huge amount of usable space, certainly more than in the Quarterdome or the Double Rainbow.

RCBear
03-25-2013, 18:29
If you use trekking poles the Tarptent Stratospire 2 is the way to go. For the same weight as the double rainbow you get a fully double wall shelter with a huge amount of usable space, certainly more than in the Quarterdome or the Double Rainbow.

thanks Mankind. how does the stratospire do with regards to condensation. enough ventilation to offset the double wall?