PDA

View Full Version : Elk Garden / 600

PR Man
03-24-2013, 19:14
Planning a section hike from Damascus north about 100 miles.

Does anyone know if that's a "normal" shuttle out of Damascus?

Also - thinking about a resupply at Dickey Gap. How is the access out of there?

Thanks

Lone Wolf
03-24-2013, 20:18
Planning a section hike from Damascus north about 100 miles.

Does anyone know if that's a "normal" shuttle out of Damascus?

Also - thinking about a resupply at Dickey Gap. How is the access out of there?

ThanksElk garden is 24 miles north of damascus. there is no resupply at dickey gap. what exactly are you trying to find out?

bigcranky
03-25-2013, 12:28
You can hitch from Dickey Gap on Va 16 -- either to Troutdale or Sugar Grove. In season there is a hostel in Troutdale. The Sugar Grove gas station/supermarket is okay for a short term resupply. Past Troutdale a few miles is Fox Creek General Store, also useful. The grocery store/restaurant ion Troutdale was closed last year.

There is nothing at Elk Garden. I suppose you could hitch down the hill East to the Whitetop PO for a maildrop, but that's only a day or two out of Damascus.

It's 75 miles from Damascus to Atkins/Groseclose, where I-81 crosses the trail. That makes a nice section hike, though I would do it southbound. You can get a shuttle to the trailhead from Damascus.

topshelf
03-25-2013, 16:01
I would try and not resupply at Dickey Gap. I trail run often from that spot and I've had my car messed with. I also use it as a drop off and pick up point if I do hikes on the AT or IMT in the area, I have been treated quite horribly by passerbys. Being on the highway coming down the mountain also makes it difficult to thumb a ride. Can you make it another 14-15 miles to the Partnership shelter where a cab could be reached to head into Marion?

flemdawg1
03-25-2013, 16:59
Can you make it another 14-15 miles to the Partnership shelter where a cab could be reached to head into Marion?

There's a public transit van that operates from the Mt Rogers NRA HQ into town, not sure what months it operates though (Rode it last May). Takes you right to Super Walmart and Food Lion.

PR Man
03-25-2013, 20:55
Thanks Lone Wolf ! I'm just trying to determine where the legitimate resupply points are North of Damascus. I'll be hiking about 100 miles and would like to do 12 to 14 miles per day. I've sectioned from Springer Mountain to Damascus over the last 3 years - but I'm having trouble figuring out the logistics in this area. I know you're from there so any help would be appreciated.