PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola or Springer

rhob100
03-25-2013, 05:49
Should I start from Amicalola Falls or Springer? What is the traditional starting point? For some reason I feel like it's important to start from Amicalola, but one person told me it is pointless to start there. Will I just be adding and extra day and starting with a hard uphill hike for no reason? I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there. Am I being foolish?

springerfever
03-25-2013, 06:00
Your decision.....nice to start from Amicalola, Sign-in, weigh your pack and get the obligatory picture under the arch. There are NUMEROUS posts regarding this question...use the SEARCH function.

Are you doing a thru-hike this year ?

Maddog
03-25-2013, 06:03
Hike Your Own Hike! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! Maddog:D

Doc Mike
03-25-2013, 06:33
It's Pointless!! lol walking the whole trail is pointless. Don't live to regret the things you didn't do.

Runsalone
03-25-2013, 07:18
I dont think its foolish at all. If youve never been by, Amicalola falls are beautiful and definetely worth seeing IMO. Heres sort of A different angle for you maybe though. You will be adding a day to a day and a half (depending on how fit your feeling) to your first stint out, with the additional food weight to go with it. As long as thats not discouraging for you then start at Amicalola. If you feel more delicate in the psycological arena then do everything you can to bolster that. Which might include a shorter duration , lighter pack , and being nearer to neels gap -warm bunk-hot food- heat-good company-expert gear chuckers.

Most importantly.....do what YOU want with your time out! These things only come around every so often, at least for most of us. Have a GREAT trip!!!

nitewalker
03-25-2013, 07:21
amicalola falls is a must start.....

moytoy
03-25-2013, 07:29
préférence personnelle.. there is no right or wrong.. It's a nice hike, what else is there to say?

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 07:31
Should I start from Amicalola Falls or Springer? What is the traditional starting point? For some reason I feel like it's important to start from Amicalola, but one person told me it is pointless to start there. Will I just be adding and extra day and starting with a hard uphill hike for no reason? I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there. Am I being foolish?

start at FS 42 parking lot at the base of Springer.

yellowsirocco
03-25-2013, 07:35
The falls are worth seeing. It is a lot easier to get to Amicalola too. Now as far as hiking up the falls with a probably overly full pack and no trail legs, well that is stupid. Get your picture behind the visitor center. Go see the falls, there is a path midway up that is practically flat from a little parking area. Then have someone drive you up to the lodge and skip the nonsense.

mountain squid
03-25-2013, 07:36
It is not part of the AT. My take has always been that since you have someone dropping you off somewhere, why not have them drop you off at the FS42 trailhead? Then they could walk up Springer with you, take your picture at the plaque, walk back down to the trailhead and then watch you walk away through the woods. If they have never been to a shelter, you can take them by Springer Mountain Shelter and let them see what you will be frequenting for the next several months.

If they are uncomfortable with a 6.5 mile trip on a dirt road then do the Approach Trail. Either way, it really doesn't matter in the long run (walk) . . .

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

PS. (when I am at Springer trailhead, I never hear anyone comment about how spectacular the falls is . . . but I do hear many hikers 'moaning' about the hike up . . . and there are even some that didn't realize that they could have skipped it . . . . )

10-K
03-25-2013, 08:20
It's just another trail that's not the AT. You'll pass dozens (hundreds?) on the way to Maine - are you going to hike those too?

I'd skip it. Actually, I did skip it.

max patch
03-25-2013, 08:25
I feel like I will be missing out by being driven to Springer rather than hiking there.

I think you have your answer.

rhob100
03-25-2013, 09:06
Thanks for all the replies. I am attempting a thru hike and I will be starting from the falls.

WingedMonkey
03-25-2013, 09:18
You should start at FS 42 parking lot and quit at Monson.

:p

10-K
03-25-2013, 09:59
You should start at FS 42 parking lot and quit at Monson.

:p

It's be more rewarding to quit at the Birches in BSP within sight of katahdin.... :) :$

Runsalone
03-25-2013, 10:58
Thanks for all the replies. I am attempting a thru hike and I will be starting from the falls.

When you go up and over Frosty Mountain on the approach trail shoot it the middle finger for me!

Lyle
03-25-2013, 11:45
Non-issue in the scheme of things.

I hiked the approach trail because it was easier to get to it. I enjoyed the trail just fine, and met some new friends the first night in the shelter.

Do whatever is most convenient.

bigcranky
03-25-2013, 12:40
I've done it both ways. Our first big section started at the Falls, then my hiking partner and I ended a sobo GA hike at the falls. My other GA nobo section started at the top of Springer at the FS42 lot.

There is something to be said for arriving at the top of Springer on foot. Following the blue blazes until you see the first white blaze is pretty cool.

But yeah, you're adding a day and a steady climb to your hike. On the other hand, you'll have to walk a LOT of miles that "aren't the A.T." on a thru-hike.

I'd start from the bottom. It's pretty cool.

QiWiz
03-25-2013, 16:54
I started at Amicalola and was happy I did. Felt "right" to me. Still does. HYOH.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 17:02
I think you have your answer.

That purist attitude would have one hikin to amicalola from home.

Cookerhiker
03-25-2013, 17:22
Your decision.......

Hike Your Own Hike! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks! Maddog:D

...Most importantly.....do what YOU want with your time out! These things only come around every so often, at least for most of us. Have a GREAT trip!!!

préférence personnelle.. there is no right or wrong.. It's a nice hike, what else is there to say?

...Do whatever is most convenient.

.... HYOH.

Yes to all of the above. I think you know the pros and cons. Do what you want.

MuddyWaters
03-25-2013, 17:52
There is no singular "AT"
It has changed dramatically over the years. And still does, albeit on a smaller scale of reroutes etc today.

The approach was part of the official AT when it ran from Springer to Mt Oglethorpe. Its the only remaining part of that section you can hike.

Do what feels right to you. It doesnt matter, obviously.

gunner76
03-25-2013, 20:38
Do the approach trail. It only adds a very small fraction of miles to the overall total.

chiefiepoo
03-25-2013, 21:43
You're starting from Tampa, maybe? It will be the better part of a day to get there. Consider a room at the Len Foote or the lodge at the top of the falls when you get there and start the approach early the next day. Nothing too spectacular about the approach, but at my age I didn't know if I'd ever get back there.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 21:51
Do the approach trail. It only adds a very small fraction of miles to the overall total.

might as well do all the other blue-blaze trails off the AT too

gunner76
03-26-2013, 20:08
might as well do all the other blue-blaze trails off the AT too

but not all of them take to the southern trail head. either way the poster asked for our opinons and it is up him or her to decide what is best for their hike.

max patch
03-26-2013, 20:21
either way the poster asked for our opinons and it is up him or her to decide what is best for their hike.

LOL The OP made up his mind in post 13 and has moved on to bigger and better things yet this thread lives up. Like the energizer bunny.

moytoy
03-26-2013, 21:19
LOL The OP made up his mind in post 13 and has moved on to bigger and better things yet this thread lives up. Like the energizer bunny.
silly me...I thought these threads were about getting the last word.