PDA

View Full Version : Smoking on the Trail

Chex Mix
03-25-2013, 08:47
I have always wondered, why do a lot of thru hikers smoke? It doesn't bother me but I'm just wondering if it would keep people from reaching their full capacity. Insight????

Chaco Taco
03-25-2013, 08:49
I was a smoker before the trail for quite awhile. I smoked less but there was something about getting to the top of the mtn or to a campsite and lighting up.

I have always wondered, why do a lot of thru hikers smoke? It doesn't bother me but I'm just wondering if it would keep people from reaching their full capacity. Insight????

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 08:55

i've never smoked so i don't understand the appeal of filling your lungs with nasty poison all day long. pretty stupid thing to do

RF_ace
03-25-2013, 09:11
you will find people smoking illegal substances on the trail than cigs

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2013, 09:13
It seems to me that the type of people who tend to be attracted to the trail often have the type of personality that make them more likely to smoke as well. I do not think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though.

colorado_rob
03-25-2013, 09:15
you will find people smoking illegal substances on the trail than cigs "Illegal"? Well, not in Colorado, at least.

garlic08
03-25-2013, 09:50
I met an AT hiker who started smoking on the trail. She said it was lighter than alcohol and legal.

I don't get it, either.

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2013, 10:06
Stress is why people smoke cigs. They need the high, because they can't hack it. And I don't mean the stress of hiking, rather the stess of living -- the psychological stress of life in general.

Kookork
03-25-2013, 10:10
It seem to me that it has to do more with the type of people who tend to be attracted to the trail often have the type of personality that make them more likely to smoke as well. I do t think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though.

Wow , That is a nice point of view which is difficult to argue against . Bravo

Cookerhiker
03-25-2013, 10:11
I've also puzzled as to why some thruhikers smoke. What's even more confounding is my observation that it's the younger thrus who do it. Perhaps it's because older folks who've been smoking for 25-35 years don't have the lungs to thruhike and/or are living with (or dying from) the consequences of their years of smoking.

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2013, 10:15
Wow , That is a nice point of view which is difficult to argue against . BravoReally, hmmm...because I'm not sure of what he is saying. Read it again.

Quote: "I do t think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though."

I do, I don't, I do t....what's the difference
:D

rocketsocks
03-25-2013, 10:15
I smoked for 27 years, and quit in 2004, it was the dumbest and smartest thing I've ever done for myself.......

Chex Mix
03-25-2013, 10:19
I have never smoked, but I was wondering when I thru hike if I would be more likely to start

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 10:21
I have never smoked, but I was wondering when I thru hike if I would be more likely to start

it would be the absolute dumbest thing you ever did. smokers are pathetic

Old Hiker
03-25-2013, 10:22
Background - never smoked. Never wanted to. Parents smoked for 40+ years. Mom died of lung disease, heart disease, etc. Both my sons smoked - #1 finally quit - #2 can't.

I don't think it's thru-hikers who smoke - I think it's smokers who decide to thru-hike. Quitting tobacco is harder than quitting heroin, supposedly. I'm glad they are getting out - they have a chance to clear their lungs and maybe get some inspiration to quit.

I don't like second-hand smoke - if I get around it, I just move away or upwind. If asked, I politely say why. Unless I'm in an enclosed area, I doubt I'd ask them to stop.

I DO hate seeing the cigarette butts laying on the ground, though.

rocketsocks
03-25-2013, 10:25
it would be the absolute dumbest thing you ever did. smokers are patheticWhat he said!

yellowsirocco
03-25-2013, 10:28
there was something about getting to the top of the mtn or to a campsite and lighting up.

That is it for me. I smoke a pipe or cigar about once a week so it is more of a social thing for me.

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2013, 10:32
I do not think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though.Gottcha ;)

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2013, 10:33
Really, hmmm...because I'm not sure of what he is saying. Read it again.Quote: "I do t think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though."I do, I don't, I do t....what's the difference:DSorry, that is what I get for using an antiquated smartphone. I was attempting to write "I do not" Clearly my old IPhone thought that should read "I dot" ...

Kookork
03-25-2013, 10:34
Really, hmmm...because I'm not sure of what he is saying. Read it again.

Quote: "I do t think there is an actual causal link between the trail and smoking though."

I do, I don't, I do t....what's the difference

:D

I get your point. My wow was about the first part of his post. The second part was confusing for me to say the least.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 10:39
Stress is why people smoke cigs. They need the high, because they can't hack it. And I don't mean the stress of hiking, rather the stess of living -- the psychological stress of life in general.

The stress is from the addiction,not life.you quit and your stress level goes down.ive been using an e cig on the trail.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2013, 10:39
it would be the absolute dumbest thing you ever did. smokers are patheticAs a former smoker I agree 100%. Back in high school I thought it would be interesting to try a few cigarettes to see what all the hype was about. It took ten years and dozens of attempts before I managed to successfully quit.

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2013, 10:49
The stress is from the addiction,not life.you quit and your stress level goes down.ive been using an e cig on the trail.Not from what I've seen. Yes I agree there is an addictive component to smoking, but what starts it is the smoker's "nerves".

I know the feeling, because I dipped Copenhagen for years, and that stuff is ADDICTIVE. To this day I can't go by a convenience store without thinking about getting some, that's the addictive part. But the other part is what leads me to want some, stress. So you just have to learn how to deal with both problems.

I was weak, just had to admit it to myself once that stuff trapped me.

Lando11
03-25-2013, 10:58
I usually carried a pouch of rolling tobacco while I thru hiked in 2011. I found it be a simple, light comfort item. I didn't smoke much while hiking, usually 1 in the morning, 1-2 during the day and maybe a couple at night. Also after summitting Katahdin, I immediately quit and haven't smoked since.

Slo-go'en
03-25-2013, 11:03
I quit my tobbaco addiction a couple of years ago and about the only time I miss it is out on the trail. I miss my smoke breaks every hour or so. I find I don't take nearly as many breaks any more and not sure that is a good thing or not. It is a bit easier to go up hills again, and that is a good thing :)

Smokers are a pretty large percentage of thru-hikers who complete the trail. My theory for why that is, is the fact that smokers take more breaks and take it easier on average then nonsmokers.

To the OP, resist the peer preasure and urge to start. In the long run it will cost you a fortune and is very bad for you.

mattmc89
03-25-2013, 11:08
[QUOTE=hikerboy57;1448406]The stress is from the addiction,not life.you quit and your stress level goes down.ive been using an e cig on the trail.[/QUOT

Think I ran into you once, bummed me and my friend a cig at some shelter up on a hill in Maine (we were sobo, was last August)

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 11:13
Not from what I've seen. Yes I agree there is an addictive component to smoking, but what starts it is the smoker's "nerves".

I know the feeling, because I dipped Copenhagen for years, and that stuff is ADDICTIVE. To this day I can't go by a convenience store without thinking about getting some, that's the addictive part. But the other part is what leads me to want some, stress. So you just have to learn how to deal with both problems.

I was weak, just had to admit it to myself once that stuff trapped me.

Nailed it, John... physical and psychological addictions are the really tough ones to overcome. People can overcome it, but it's not easy.

I refuse to judge people with those kinds of battles to fight. I was addicted to cigarettes, myself, but thank God I was able to shake it off. Even after a short 6 months, I've felt the power of that addiction. Whew....:eek: I still have dreams of finding smoking pleasurable. That's why I always say... Feelings?...... Can you trust them? No Way!!!!

Mr. Bumpy
03-25-2013, 11:18
Sometimes I'll light a cigar just to keep the bugs away.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 11:22
the nicotine tell your brain it needs it to reduce stress.. smoking raise your blood pressure no reduction in stress. I handle everyday stress just fine.

RCBear
03-25-2013, 11:36

I agree with the first part. that said, i have friends that smoke. One travels regularly to Haitian villages to install water filtration systems. on his own dime. I wouldn't call him pathetic.

i like to climb 14ers. some of them think that is dangerous and and reckless. i don't think they would call me pathetic however.

Rasty
03-25-2013, 11:38
I just quit after 25 years of smoking. Smoking becomes your basis for everything you do.

Wake up = Smoke
Coffee = Smoke
Take a Crap = Smoke
Drive = Smoke
Not Smoke for 55 minutes = Smoke break
Walk up a Hill = Smoke
Walk down a hill = Smoke
Wonder how many you smoked today = Smoke one while you count
Eat = Smoke
Relax = Smoke
Stress = Smoke

It's the stupidest thing ever!

Seatbelt
03-25-2013, 12:40
Sometimes I'll light a cigar just to keep the bugs away.

I like an occasional one just while relaxing--not addicted tho.

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 12:46
I agree with the first part. that said, i have friends that smoke. One travels regularly to Haitian villages to install water filtration systems. on his own dime. I wouldn't call him pathetic.

someone standing outsde a building in 5 degree temps, puffin' away is pathetic. when i go on an ambulance call for a person that's having trouble breathing and get there, they're on oxygen and just finished smoking, that person is pathetic

MDSection12
03-25-2013, 12:56
someone standing outsde a building in 5 degree temps, puffin' away is pathetic. when i go on an ambulance call for a person that's having trouble breathing and get there, they're on oxygen and just finished smoking, that person is pathetic

Judging a person's value based on one aspect of their behavior is pathetic... See how easy that is? Let's try again. Posting one-liners all day on a forum intentionally trying to stir up emotional reactions is pathetic. See it's pretty simple; I called your behavior pathetic, but I didn't call you pathetic. You may very well be pathetic, but I don't know that and wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because I find some of your behavior pathetic. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 12:58
Judging a person's value based on one aspect of their behavior is pathetic... See how easy that is? Let's try again. Posting one-liners all day on a forum intentionally trying to stir up emotional reactions is pathetic. See it's pretty simple; I called your behavior pathetic, but I didn't call you pathetic. You may very well be pathetic, but I don't know that and wouldn't jump to that conclusion just because I find some of your behavior pathetic. :rolleyes:

oh come now. you're bein funny :)

max patch
03-25-2013, 13:00
This thread is pathetic. :)

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 13:01
Posting one-liners all day on a forum intentionally trying to stir up emotional reactions is pathetic.

that's just your perception. i'm right and you can't handle truth. i post one liners cuz i type with one finger. causes pithiness

Rasty
03-25-2013, 13:03
that's just your perception. i'm right and you can't handle truth. i post one liners cuz i type with one finger. causes pithiness

One finger typing is pathetic! Try to throw in a thumb every once in a while!

MDSection12
03-25-2013, 13:08

I often agree with your sentiments, but the way you choose to express yourself is pathetic. There's no more accurate way to describe it.

gizzy bear
03-25-2013, 13:10
ahh woo woo.... everybody is sayin the "P" word!!

Almost There
03-25-2013, 13:10
the nicotine tell your brain it needs it to reduce stress.. smoking raise your blood pressure no reduction in stress. I handle everyday stress just fine.

Completely agree, as someone who smoked 15 years. It's rare anyone starts smoking because of stress, especially as most start before they're 21. I started smoking on spring break in Mexico...no stress there unless girls in string bikinis are stressful for ya'. It's the quitting that is stressful. However, I do agree that once I quit I did have less stress, or dealt with stress in better ways. I think most smokers over 30, if honest, would like to quit, and agree their addiction is pathetic.

RCBear
03-25-2013, 13:13

How about the person that wishes they could stop, have tried a couple of times and wants to try again for the sake of themselves and loved ones but haven't turned that corner yet. Are they pathetic because they have yet to achieve what others may have been able to. does one become "not pathetic" as soon as they quit or does it take 60 days of having not smoked before shedding that moniker. 120 days? 1 year?

I am not a smoker by the way. i am however 5 years removed from drinking and am thrilled with getting back to doing the things i used to love; like hiking, climbing 14ers, weight lifting, more quality time with loved ones, etc. None of that including another 20 years of not drinking guarantees that i would never pick up another drink. but an active lifestyle does help.

and yes, i do have a hard time imagining why someone would want to put in long days on a trail huffing as a result of more than just because the terrain is tough.

RCBear
03-25-2013, 13:22
ahh woo woo.... everybody is sayin the "P" word!!

I'm sure Lone Wolf was dying to use Commiserable instead but knows how women feel about the "C" word. I think his restraint was very admirable.

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2013, 13:22
Took me a couple of dozen attempts to quit smoking. Trust me, it really was pathetic.

Rasty
03-25-2013, 13:24
Lone Wolf is correct that smoking is pathetic. What he doesn't get is that nicotine is one of the more powerfull addictions around. It's an upper, it's a downer and it's socially acceptable enough to not be a big deal. Most smokers like myself started young (In my case I was around 13 when I started really smoking) By 15 or 16 I was a addict and tried quitting a few times and always went back after having a few drinks.

We each have our opinions about things. I think beards are weird but won't hold that against anyone.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 13:57
If you dont smoke,dont start."just one"eventually turns into one million.
with the e cigs i expect ill be smoke free by damascus.

gizzy bear
03-25-2013, 14:01
I'm sure Lone Wolf was dying to use Commiserable instead but knows how women feel about the "C" word. I think his restraint was very admirable.

ahh woo woo.... you used the "C" word... wait... what is the "C" word??? ;)

Rasty
03-25-2013, 14:04
ahh woo woo.... you used the "C" word... wait... what is the "C" word??? ;)

The word your mom will hear no matter how far away she is! It is the holy grail of bad words!

Rasty
03-25-2013, 14:06

You can do it!

gizzy bear
03-25-2013, 14:09
The word your mom will hear no matter how far away she is! It is the holy grail of bad words!

LMAO!! Cooties....

Rasty
03-25-2013, 14:10
LMAO!! Cooties....

The other one.

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 14:13
How about the person that wishes they could stop, have tried a couple of times and wants to try again for the sake of themselves and loved ones but haven't turned that corner yet. Are they pathetic because they have yet to achieve what others may have been able to. does one become "not pathetic" as soon as they quit or does it take 60 days of having not smoked before shedding that moniker. 120 days? 1 year?

I am not a smoker by the way. i am however 5 years removed from drinking and am thrilled with getting back to doing the things i used to love; like hiking, climbing 14ers, weight lifting, more quality time with loved ones, etc. None of that including another 20 years of not drinking guarantees that i would never pick up another drink. but an active lifestyle does help.

and yes, i do have a hard time imagining why someone would want to put in long days on a trail huffing as a result of more than just because the terrain is tough.

Sooo happy for you RC bear!! :D

Took me a couple of dozen attempts to quit smoking. Trust me, it really was pathetic.

Atta boy... you did it! :D

I believe in you HB!! I'm pullin for you!! I respect you no matter what! :cool: You're a smart man!

Pedaling Fool
03-25-2013, 15:20
the nicotine tell your brain it needs it to reduce stress.. smoking raise your blood pressure no reduction in stress. I handle everyday stress just fine.OK, then you should have it easier than most to quit, that is if you want to. Like I said, I dipped Copenhagen for years and part of my appetite for the stuff was the addiction and the other part was stress, so I had double-the-trouble in quitting, i.e. the stress of life and the stress of quitting. According to you all you have is the stress of quitting.

Personally, I think the addiction of nicotine is overstated, we use that term too loosely. Now, from what I hear, heroin is truely addictive, but nicotine is addictive (which I won't argue with) to a much lesser degree, much, much lesser. But here in America we also say sugar is addictive:rolleyes:, whatever, the point is all you have to do is stop, you're not going to have the shakes or hallucinations, yes you will have a craving from hell and might even binge on something else, but it's something one can kick.

To say that quitting causes too much stress to the point that you can't quite is just weak. It is a crutch, in the same way that many fat people use the addiction-to-food crutch to blame on their physical condition.

No judgement here -- I know what I'm talking about on this issue; I've been through it and still have to fight the urge.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 15:37
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.ive tried quitting on the trail before,and would not be able to stop thinking aboyt it the whole trip.the e cigs help a lot to cut the craving.if i do kick it,it will be a byproduct,not the goal of my hike.

Kookork
03-25-2013, 15:45
OK, then you should have it easier than most to quit, that is if you want to. Like I said, I dipped Copenhagen for years and part of my appetite for the stuff was the addiction and the other part was stress, so I had double-the-trouble in quitting, i.e. the stress of life and the stress of quitting. According to you all you have is the stress of quitting.

Personally, I think the addiction of nicotine is overstated, we use that term too loosely. Now, from what I hear, heroin is truely addictive, but nicotine is addictive (which I won't argue with) to a much lesser degree, much, much lesser. But here in America we also say sugar is addictive:rolleyes:, whatever, the point is all you have to do is stop, you're not going to have the shakes or hallucinations, yes you will have a craving from hell and might even binge on something else, but it's something one can kick.

To say that quitting causes too much stress to the point that you can't quite is just weak. It is a crutch, in the same way that many fat people use the addiction-to-food crutch to blame on their physical condition.

No judgement here -- I know what I'm talking about on this issue; I've been through it and still have to fight the urge.

I will save and enjoy this post from time to time. Gold nugget here.

Old Boots
03-25-2013, 16:14
On my last hike on the AT I ran into a young fellow who smoked cigarettes and had asthma. I do not understand how you can attempt that hike if you are a heavy smoker.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 16:20
i wonder how many of you non judgemental types would be able to complete a thru without taking a sip of alcohol.
its an addiction pure and simple and as those who have quit have already said, its not easy. can it be done? of course.
but to answer the op's question, no there is absolutely no reason that you would be more inclined to begin smoking, and a stupid habit to begin.there is no benefit to smoking. it doesnt get you high, it doesnt make you feel good, it dsimply satisfies a craving that becomes stronger over time. hopefully some of these tales posted here will convince you of that. the easiest way to quit is never to start.and to all of you who are attempting to quit, i truly hope you are successful.

Rasty
03-25-2013, 16:23
i wonder how many of you non judgemental types would be able to complete a thru without taking a sip of alcohol.
its an addiction pure and simple and as those who have quit have already said, its not easy. can it be done? of course.
but to answer the op's question, no there is absolutely no reason that you would be more inclined to begin smoking, and a stupid habit to begin.there is no benefit to smoking. it doesnt get you high, it doesnt make you feel good, it dsimply satisfies a craving that becomes stronger over time. hopefully some of these tales posted here will convince you of that. the easiest way to quit is never to start.and to all of you who are attempting to quit, i truly hope you are successful.

But drinking is sacred! Drinkers pretend its good for them. Now that is pathetic!

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 16:27
But drinking is sacred! Drinkers pretend its good for them. Now that is pathetic!

i hear ya!

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 16:28
by the way ive successfully quit addictions to alcohol cocaine and quaaludes.i have tried to quit smoking so many times i cant call it quitting anymore, once for over a year, and still went back to it.i dont smoke much on the tral and now with these logic things, i think i can lick it.
although taking 2 zeros in 4 days isnt helping. cant wait to get back out tomorrow.

op-dont be an idiot. dont try it. even once.you'll regret you ever did 40 years from now when you're still buying them

hobby
03-25-2013, 16:37
quitting smoking is EASY.....I did it thousands of times! Last time 1/1/90

Rasty
03-25-2013, 16:39
quitting smoking is EASY.....I did it thousands of times! Last time 1/1/90

That's a long time having quit OR you haven't given another try in a long time! :D

lemon b
03-25-2013, 18:52
I've been on again off again. Mainly off which I am now. The older I get the less I want to smoke, just really makes the uphills a pia.
Using dip to quit works. Last time I got a script chantix and it worked took it for maybe 3 weeks.

Hairbear
03-25-2013, 20:08
i quit 2 months ago to get ready for the trail.How long will it take my lungs to clear up?

Deer Hunter
03-25-2013, 20:11

Hope you can do it, HB. I really do.

Another Kevin
03-25-2013, 20:23
Back to the original question: I wonder how much of the prevalence of smoking has to do with the fact that the Trail starts in Georgia and North Carolina is next. It wasn't all that many years ago that it was peculiar not to smoke in that part of the world - it was kind of expected that you'd support the Southern economy by consuming its most lucrative cash crop. I gather there's less of that attitude lately, but you're still starting your hike in the place tobacco comes from.

Me, I've never quit because I never started. Worst I've had to do in that department is kick a (medically induced) Demerol habit. I understand that's a piece of cake by comparison.

jesse
03-25-2013, 20:28
littering with cigarette butts, now that'd pathetic.

sliderule
03-25-2013, 20:35
Back to the original question: I wonder how much of the prevalence of smoking has to do with the fact that the Trail starts in Georgia and North Carolina is next.

What a theory!!! I wonder if the fact that the Trail terminates in Maine means that AT hikers eat lots of lobster.

rickb
03-25-2013, 20:39

Best of luck. For me, quitting on the Trail would have been easy 500 miles in as my body no longer needed a smoke. But pleasures were few and I figured I deserved a light-weight treat at the end of the day. And I was at a point that I really was not addicted anymore. Basically I blew a great opportunity to quit. That came later, but I should have seized the opportunity. It is bizarre how many thu hikers smoke, and sincerely hope you see quitting by Damascus as not even having a single ****ing cigarette even one mile north of there. Not a single ****ing one.

Tuckahoe
03-25-2013, 20:48
i quit 2 months ago to get ready for the trail.How long will it take my lungs to clear up?

It will take about 10 to 15 years.

Hairbear
03-25-2013, 20:53
It will take about 10 to 15 years.
dang im 50 that doesnt leave much hope.

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 20:53

Good for you Hairbear :clap

http://quitsmoking.about.com/cs/afterquitting/a/after_quitting.htm

Good things happen immediately for your lungs!! :D

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 20:55
many thu hikers smoke, and sincerely hope you see quitting by Damascus as not even having a single ****ing cigarette even one mile north of there. Not a single ****ing one.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,rickb.i think you just said the words i needed to hear right here,right now.smoke free by damascus.
its time.

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 20:55

No, No... there's hope!! :)

Within the first 20 minutes of quitting, the healing process begins. The benefits will continue to improve your health and quality of life for years.

Hairbear
03-25-2013, 20:56
Hello KD hows things with you?

Hairbear
03-25-2013, 20:58
many thu hikers smoke, and sincerely hope you see quitting by Damascus as not even having a single ****ing cigarette even one mile north of there. Not a single ****ing one.

Thanks,rickb.i think you just said the words i needed to hear right here,right now.smoke free by damascus.
its time.[/QUOTE]
Hello HB how are those knees holding up?

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 21:00
Hello KD hows things with you?

I'm fine Hairbear...I'm getting excited about all the hikers coming to see me. I'm going hiking myself in May!! Can't wait. How are you Hairbear? I'm so stinking proud of you for quitting for 2 months... that's wonderful!! Will you be hitting the trail soon?

The Cleaner
03-25-2013, 21:00
i hear ya! Drinking alcohol at The Place is pathetic:eek:.......

HikerMom58
03-25-2013, 21:02
many thu hikers smoke, and sincerely hope you see quitting by Damascus as not even having a single ****ing cigarette even one mile north of there. Not a single ****ing one.

its time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can do it... you're tough like that... stubborn too... :D Not a single ****ing one.

hikerboy57
03-25-2013, 21:02
its time.
Hello HB how are those knees holding up?[/QUOTE]

no knee problems,overall i feel pretty strong.legs feel great.

Hairbear
03-25-2013, 21:06
Hello HB how are those knees holding up?

no knee problems,overall i feel pretty strong.legs feel great.[/QUOTE]
Great to hear ,enjoy yourself.

Tuckahoe
03-25-2013, 21:08

My dad quit in his 60s because he wanted to be around for his granddaughter. He's a harda$$ about things like that and stopped it cold turkey. Its never too late to quit and its never too late to look after your health.

Trebor66
03-25-2013, 21:20
I smoked most of my adult life. I hiked a lot when I was in my teens through mid 20's but life got in the way and I got away from it until a few years ago. A friend of mine wanted to take me on a day hike from Springer Mountain south to AFSP, total trip 9 or so miles. I was concerned since I knew he was in pretty good shape and I wasn't. As we went up Nimbelwill Gap I thought I was gonna die and had to stop literally every few steps to catch my breath. My lungs were burning, my legs hardly worked, I had a headache from my blood pressure being so high from the workout. When I got to the top he was sitting there having a snack. The climb didnt seem to bother him one bit. I was embarrassed to say the least!! I quit righ then and there. That was nearly 2 years ago and I havent touched one since. Cold turkey.. Ever since then I have found the time to hike. At least two to three times a month I do sections of the AT in Georgia. I love being back in touch with the outdoors and more importantly for my health. A few months ago I did that same hike (Springer to AFSP) and kicked Nimbelwill Gaps butt. As a reward to myself I figured out how much money I saved by quitting and took some of that money and invested in hiking gear for myself and my 7 year old son. Who knows, maybe some can say that the AT saved my life.

FatHead64
03-25-2013, 21:21

It's just pithiness.

To the OP - please, don't start the smoking thing. Bad bad bad habit.

JAK
03-25-2013, 21:30
great opportunity to quit. break the cycle.

Special K
03-25-2013, 22:16
what a theory!!! I wonder if the fact that the trail terminates in maine means that at hikers eat lots of lobster.

absolutely!!! :d

Odd Man Out
03-25-2013, 23:24
Any time I do an activity where I see "a lot of people smoking", I wonder about it. I eventually decide that in my case, it is noticeable because in the circle of friends I hang out with, no one smokes. I can't think of a single person that I interact with on a regular basis whom I have ever seen smoke. I conclude there is a certain lack of diversity among the people I interact with (i.e. friends, acquaintances, coworkers), which is interesting since on the surface it would seem to be a rather diverse group (different races, religions, nationalities, ages, sexual preferences, gender, etc...). So when I am doing an activity where I see a lot of smokers, it is probably an indication that I am doing something that is drawing on a much wider demographic of participants than I am used to seeing, which is actually a good thing (the wider demographic that is, not the smoking).

Hairbear
03-26-2013, 00:35
I smoked most of my adult life. I hiked a lot when I was in my teens through mid 20's but life got in the way and I got away from it until a few years ago. A friend of mine wanted to take me on a day hike from Springer Mountain south to AFSP, total trip 9 or so miles. I was concerned since I knew he was in pretty good shape and I wasn't. As we went up Nimbelwill Gap I thought I was gonna die and had to stop literally every few steps to catch my breath. My lungs were burning, my legs hardly worked, I had a headache from my blood pressure being so high from the workout. When I got to the top he was sitting there having a snack. The climb didnt seem to bother him one bit. I was embarrassed to say the least!! I quit righ then and there. That was nearly 2 years ago and I havent touched one since. Cold turkey.. Ever since then I have found the time to hike. At least two to three times a month I do sections of the AT in Georgia. I love being back in touch with the outdoors and more importantly for my health. A few months ago I did that same hike (Springer to AFSP) and kicked Nimbelwill Gaps butt. As a reward to myself I figured out how much money I saved by quitting and took some of that money and invested in hiking gear for myself and my 7 year old son. Who knows, maybe some can say that the AT saved my life.
I like that story.................

Hairbear
03-26-2013, 00:40
I'm fine Hairbear...I'm getting excited about all the hikers coming to see me. I'm going hiking myself in May!! Can't wait. How are you Hairbear? I'm so stinking proud of you for quitting for 2 months... that's wonderful!! Will you be hitting the trail soon?

waiting for my son to graduate,and my house to sell. I should be trail bound in june ,dont have a concrete plan yet but i have a good idea of how im going to do it. Hope the quiting helps me enjoy it more.

Pedaling Fool
03-26-2013, 10:56
Nicotine is more addictive than heroin.ive tried quitting on the trail before,and would not be able to stop thinking aboyt it the whole trip.the e cigs help a lot to cut the craving.if i do kick it,it will be a byproduct,not the goal of my hike.I've heard that before, but I wonder what way they measure that. It's like saying that lifting a 1lb a million times is tougher than lifting 1-million pounds once. Extreme example, but I'm sure you get the drift...

All I know is that gobs of people have quit smoking, many by simply going cold turkey. Yes there are some negative symptoms associated, but nothing like quitting heroine. You almost need clinical assitance to quit that stuff. The withdrawl effects are much more serious.

Bottom line, you give people a reason to blame something else they'll use that crutch.

Rasty
03-26-2013, 11:03
I've heard that before, but I wonder what way they measure that. It's like saying that lifting a 1lb a million times is tougher than lifting 1-million pounds once. Extreme example, but I'm sure you get the drift...

All I know is that gobs of people have quit smoking, many by simply going cold turkey. Yes there are some negative symptoms associated, but nothing like quitting heroine. You almost need clinical assitance to quit that stuff. The withdrawl effects are much more serious.

Bottom line, you give people a reason to blame something else they'll use that crutch.

The social acceptance of nicotine adds to the addiction.

RCBear
03-26-2013, 12:08
[QUOTE=john gault;1449345]I've heard that before, It's like saying that lifting a 1lb a million times is tougher than lifting 1-million pounds once.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that one is very hard and the other is...well, downright even harder.

Unless you are Will Ferrell from Anchorman and start your curling count at 999,997 when a pretty lady walks in the room. :P

MDSection12
03-26-2013, 12:23
I've heard that before, but I wonder what way they measure that. It's like saying that lifting a 1lb a million times is tougher than lifting 1-million pounds once. Extreme example, but I'm sure you get the drift...

I believe they base that off of the actual addictive properties of the chemicals; so diacetylmorphine versus nicotine... Not exactly the same as heroin versus cigarettes.

As far as I know nicotine is the most addictive substance known, but the dosages are relatively small from smoking a single cigarette; somewhere around one milligram. Another interesting thing to note is that most sources put the minimum lethal dose for nicotine around 30 mg and for heroin it is around 75 mg. Nicotine could be argued to be the worst drug out there, but there's a few billion dollars floating around in congress that says otherwise.

magic_game03
03-26-2013, 13:48
I only smoke tobacco when I hike.

Most of the time I can't stand tobacco smoke, it makes me gag and vomit but it has a very different effect when I hike. After thousands of miles I have phases that sometimes makes me want to speed hike and sometimes I want to contemplate life. When I speed hike I like to smoke because it makes me stop and enjoy the moment in a hectic day of kicking rocks. When I hike slower and contemplate the meaning of life I like to smoke because it creates a harmonious balance to everything that surrounds me.

(some notable details)
- I never smoke off the trail. I hate cigarettes.
- I don't smoke pre-rolled, only roll-your-own. I hate drum brand, I like American Spirits.
- Cigaretts are a great tool for social engineering. I have leveraged many hikers and non-hikers with a smoke. I believe that rollies are a form of currency in the Pacific northwest (PCT), from the emerald triangle to BC.

I am not trying to promote smoking or justify it, likewise I will not condemn those that have the habit. All I have to say is that if you smoke pre-rolled with filters, please pack out your filters. I hate seeing them on the trail or in the fire pit.

Star Walker
03-31-2013, 03:48
I smoke. Personally I feel ashamed to do it on the trail. I end up smoking much less then I would at home. Talking about cigs just to be clear.

Tree Nerd
03-31-2013, 16:31
I've been smoking for four years, ever since I left home for college. When I would return home during the summers, the only time I would smoke was when I was drinking and I could drunkenly bum one off someone. Typically I would would get displeased with bummed cigs because everyone smokes these lame ass cigs that are like 10% tobacco and 90% additives and chemicals. If your going to smoke, smoke a real cigaret that actually has tobacco in it.....Like American Spirits, organic.....Anyway, I plan to stop smoking during my thru hike this year for several reasons: A) I need to stop and been saying I was going to when I graduate, B) I wont be able to afford it, C) I will most likely hate everyones cigs that I try to bum.

shakey_snake
03-31-2013, 21:33
Pipe smoker, here. I do it because I like the taste and sitting outside and I find the ritual relaxing.

Similarly, I hike long distances because I like the views and the solitude and find the routine relaxing.

The two mesh well. I smoke once a day on the trail, but smoke maybe once every week or two at home.

shakey_snake
03-31-2013, 21:36
I should add, I don't--at all, really--"get" cigarette smokers.

whatnot
04-01-2013, 12:51
If you're going to smoke, don't toss your butts into the fire pit or into the woods. Pack them out with you.

stranger
04-02-2013, 07:00

Smoking is far more common amongst working class and working poor people, of which 75-85% of long distance hikers seem to be in my experience, thus the higher smoking rates. In short it's a poverty thing, and hikers tend to be more low waged than high waged. Certainly was the case for me until very recently, and I still miss my cigarettes.

It makes little sense to non-smokers, but to me, sitting next to a fire after walking 24 miles and smoking a cigarette is about as good as it gets, especially on a cold day!

Reformed smoker of 2.5 years

Jack Tarlin
04-02-2013, 09:38
75-85% of long distance hikers are working class and working poor people? Really? I guess I missed this. In my experience most of them tend to be well-educated, middle and upper middle-class non-working fairly comfortable people. And as for those who've speculated that being a smoker hurts one's chances of success or interferes with one's hiking.......well let's just say that there are some out there who would have reason to disagree with this.

Mags
04-02-2013, 12:45
Most thru-hikers may be technically poor due to income level. However, most thru-hikers (per a study done by the ATC; it was actually posted on here a while back) are college educated or in college.

That's a separate thread and, heck, a separate study, but many would argue that "class" is not solely tied to income. A plumber earning 60k a year is considered by many people to be blue collar. A post-doc earning 40k a year? "Professional".

And, at least what I found, you are more likely to see post-doc/grad students on the trail than plumbers. Though a son of sheet metal worker has been known to hike now and then :)

Rasty
04-02-2013, 12:52
Most thru-hikers may be technically poor due to income level. However, most thru-hikers (per a study done by the ATC; it was actually posted on here a while back) are college educated or in college.

That's a separate thread and, heck, a separate study, but many would argue that "class" is not solely tied to income. A plumber earning 60k a year is considered by many people to be blue collar. A post-doc earning 40k a year? "Professional".

And, at least what I found, you are more likely to see post-doc/grad students on the trail than plumbers. Though a son of sheet metal worker has been known to hike now and then :)

The plumber only makes 60K?

Mags
04-02-2013, 13:08
The plumber only makes 60K?

Perhaps the ones thru-hiking. They are not working for 5-7 mos. ;)

Pedaling Fool
04-02-2013, 14:00
That's not really saying much nowadays, college is a joke in today's world. Need a better measure.

Matthewrozon
04-02-2013, 18:02
^^ I was going to say the exact same thing.

Rasty
04-02-2013, 18:08
That's not really saying much nowadays, college is a joke in today's world. Need a better measure.

I listened to some radio talking head one day. He was going into the break-even point of a doctor versus a plumber. After calculating student loans and insurance he stated the doctor did not break even with the licensed plumber until around 20 years (Age 50) and that the plumber could easily be retiring at that age.

alxflwrs
04-02-2013, 18:35
This thread has spun so far out of control.

Tuckahoe
04-04-2013, 22:27
Ha ha Jeremy Irons stated in an interview, "most people who smoke cigarettes are bored and unhappy and if you're bored and unhappy you'll die sooner..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVQvovIbZDM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fur Queue
04-04-2013, 23:41
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=w9ySCcnoo3c&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dw9ySCcnoo3c

rocketsocks
04-05-2013, 00:18
The plumber only makes 60K?In 2001 I made $98,000 with OT, I worked 3,300 hours that year which is 1,100 hours over a normal 40 hour week with 2 weeks vacation per year which would be 2,200 hours worked. It was my best year to date as far as income. I quit smoking in 2004...plumber/pipefitter/welder

just some stats...oh and and smoking definitely puts a damper on ones ability to reach full potential..IMHO

stranger
04-05-2013, 04:03
75-85% of long distance hikers are working class and working poor people? Really? I guess I missed this. In my experience most of them tend to be well-educated, middle and upper middle-class non-working fairly comfortable people. And as for those who've speculated that being a smoker hurts one's chances of success or interferes with one's hiking.......well let's just say that there are some out there who would have reason to disagree with this.

You have taken my post the wrong way...you almost make it sound like being working class or working poor is a bad thing, I'm very proud of being working class, and there are plenty of people out there who are well educated who happen to be working class, most actually. My point was, smoking is more common amongst those who are lower waged in my experience, and my opinion is that you are wrong Jack...most long distance hikers DO NOT have heaps of extra income laying around (regardless of the reasons why),so smoking is somewhat higher amongst this group than once might initially think. Settle down soldier.

JAK
04-05-2013, 04:47
I haven't smoked on a hiking trail yet, but I've come close when the chaffing's gotten real bad.

RCBear
04-05-2013, 07:10
You have taken my post the wrong way...you almost make it sound like being working class or working poor is a bad thing, I'm very proud of being working class, and there are plenty of people out there who are well educated who happen to be working class, most actually. My point was, smoking is more common amongst those who are lower waged in my experience, and my opinion is that you are wrong Jack...most long distance hikers DO NOT have heaps of extra income laying around (regardless of the reasons why),so smoking is somewhat higher amongst this group than once might initially think. Settle down soldier.

This portion of the thread is veering off topic, but you are right in that smoking % is very much tied to income level. Much higher rate for lower income earners. Same for lottery players. The groups that can least afford either are the largest consumers.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

SwissGuy
04-05-2013, 08:08
I know this thread has spun far off topic, but, I've been an occasional smoker all my adult life, started in the Service (like everyone in the service) and continued on and off since, when I was deployed I smoked two packs a day and still got perfect scores on PT tests every time. I smoke on trail, and it's really the only place I still smoke. I don't smoke at home or in the car or at work or really much of anywhere but when I'm in the great outdoors, and to me there is nothing finer for a tired body and a pair of barking dogs than Camel and a slug of Bourbon before sacktime. Call it ceremonial if you will.

I understand that many people have pretty darn strong opinions about smoking, so I try to politely ask if people mind when I'm around others, which is only polite. That being said, the busybody who runs across the street or trail or what have you to berate me about the dangers of smoking and the evils of second hand smoke gets nothing but my scorn and maybe a stream of smoke for her troubles, she did move closer after all. It isn't about the smoking, it's about people going out of the way to dictate other peoples lives and behaviors and wants and needs, and I just cannot abide by that.

So, smoke em' if you got em', or don't your choice. You be polite to me and I promise I'll be polite to you, but the next yuppie who decides to launch forth in a tirade about the evils of tobacco because I lit up a butt 30 feet from them, is getting it put out in his eye.

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2013, 09:29
Stranger: There was nothing in my post that spoke negatively about poor or working class people and nobody who knows me would ever accuse me of harboring these sentiments. As to knowledge of thru-hiker's backgrounds, education levels, family background, income, etc., gee, I'll defer to your obvious superior knowledge on this.

flemdawg1
04-05-2013, 10:05
I know this thread has spun far off topic, but, I've been an occasional smoker all my adult life, started in the Service (like everyone in the service) and continued on and off since, when I was deployed I smoked two packs a day and still got perfect scores on PT tests every time. I smoke on trail, and it's really the only place I still smoke. I don't smoke at home or in the car or at work or really much of anywhere but when I'm in the great outdoors, and to me there is nothing finer for a tired body and a pair of barking dogs than Camel and a slug of Bourbon before sacktime. Call it ceremonial if you will.

I understand that many people have pretty darn strong opinions about smoking, so I try to politely ask if people mind when I'm around others, which is only polite. That being said, the busybody who runs across the street or trail or what have you to berate me about the dangers of smoking and the evils of second hand smoke gets nothing but my scorn and maybe a stream of smoke for her troubles, she did move closer after all. It isn't about the smoking, it's about people going out of the way to dictate other peoples lives and behaviors and wants and needs, and I just cannot abide by that.

So, smoke em' if you got em', or don't your choice. You be polite to me and I promise I'll be polite to you, but the next yuppie who decides to launch forth in a tirade about the evils of tobacco because I lit up a butt 30 feet from them, is getting it put out in his eye.

This is pretty much me too. I only smoke on the trail, and try to considerate when I do. Its a stupid, stupid vice but also very pleasurable at the same time. 3 weeks till my section hike and I can taste the Marlboro Lights already.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2013, 10:36
I only smoke tobacco when I hike.

Most of the time I can't stand tobacco smoke, it makes me gag and vomit but it has a very different effect when I hike. After thousands of miles I have phases that sometimes makes me want to speed hike and sometimes I want to contemplate life. When I speed hike I like to smoke because it makes me stop and enjoy the moment in a hectic day of kicking rocks. When I hike slower and contemplate the meaning of life I like to smoke because it creates a harmonious balance to everything that surrounds me.

(some notable details)
- I never smoke off the trail. I hate cigarettes.
- I don't smoke pre-rolled, only roll-your-own. I hate drum brand, I like American Spirits.
- Cigaretts are a great tool for social engineering. I have leveraged many hikers and non-hikers with a smoke. I believe that rollies are a form of currency in the Pacific northwest (PCT), from the emerald triangle to BC.

I am not trying to promote smoking or justify it, likewise I will not condemn those that have the habit. All I have to say is that if you smoke pre-rolled with filters, please pack out your filters. I hate seeing them on the trail or in the fire pit.

This is pretty much me too. I only smoke on the trail, and try to considerate when I do. Its a stupid, stupid vice but also very pleasurable at the same time. 3 weeks till my section hike and I can taste the Marlboro Lights already.
I've seen this and there is something to it, i.e. people that only smoke on the trail. I can actually see the merit in this type of smoking and believe it's completly different than someone that's "hooked". Kind of in the same way of someone that occasionally drinks vs. an alcoholic.

But I'm curious, What do you'll think of the rolling tobacco products vs. the large corportation cigs?

Mags
04-05-2013, 10:38

Only 30% of adults have a bachelor's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States

It is a good baseline as any. Higher education does change the outlook on life a bit.

The only baseline? No. But certainly a significant one.

Pedaling Fool
04-05-2013, 10:45
Only 30% of adults have a bachelor's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_attainment_in_the_United_States

It is good baseline as many as higher education does change the outlook on life a bit.

The only baseline? No. But certainly a significant one.
You're probably right. I'm just commenting on what I've seen, including Ph.D's who are just wacky. But my observations are probably not extensive in the big picture and therefore not conclusive.

aficion
04-05-2013, 10:45
This thread has spun so far out of control.

My ex wife and I were coming off a three day along Mills River near Brevard NC in 1997 when we encountered three scantily clad barefoot co-eds giggling their way across a footbridge. They were smokin..... in more ways than one!

Mags
04-05-2013, 12:27
You're probably right. I'm just commenting on what I've seen, including Ph.D's who are just wacky. But my observations are probably not extensive in the big picture and therefore not conclusive.

Pile becomes Higher and Deeper. :)

max patch
04-05-2013, 12:38
I heard on a sirius/xm med radio show that if you quit by age 35 in terms of life expectancy its as if you never started.

Buzz_Lightfoot
04-07-2013, 16:01
I haven't smoked on a hiking trail yet, but I've come close when the chaffing's gotten real bad.

Ahhh. Someone beat me to it. The trick is not to hike in corduroy. ::p

Sarcasm the elf
04-07-2013, 18:39
I heard on a sirius/xm med radio show that if you quit by age 35 in terms of life expectancy its as if you never started.

Statistically I believe this true. The fact sheet I was given in a quit smoking packet years ago said that after quitting for 10-15 years cancer rates in former smokers was the same as the rates of people who never smoked. Though I wonder if this has a lot to do with how many people who quit smoking also start exercising and making other changes in their life.

rickb
04-07-2013, 19:11
Statistically I believe this true. The fact sheet I was given in a quit smoking packet years ago said that after quitting for 10-15 years cancer rates in former smokers was the same as the rates of people who never smoked. Though I wonder if this has a lot to do with how many people who quit smoking also start exercising and making other changes in their life.

No. While quitting always helps, all the damage to your heart and arteries is likely not reversible for a heavy smoker even after many decades.

The idea that you can smoke in your 20s, the quit at age 30 with no lasting damage is myth.

There is no reset button.

Physicians on this list might be able to she'd more light. If the agree

Sarcasm the elf
04-07-2013, 19:52

No. While quitting always helps, all the damage to your heart and arteries is likely not reversible for a heavy smoker even after many decades.

The idea that you can smoke in your 20s, the quit at age 30 with no lasting damage is myth.

There is no reset button.

Physicians on this list might be able to she'd more light. If the agree

Sorry, to correct my earlier post it is actually heart disease rates, not cancer rates that drop to non-smoker levels after 15 years of non-smoking:

http://www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/guidetoquittingsmoking/guide-to-quitting-smoking-benefits

max patch
04-07-2013, 19:56

The sirius/xm medical channel shows are all hosted by real, practicing doctors and that is what they said.

rickb
04-07-2013, 20:00
The sirius/xm medical channel shows are all hosted by real, practicing doctors and that is what they said.

And you choose to believe them over me?

Sarcasm the elf
04-07-2013, 20:08

Well you are from Marlboro. :cool:

max patch
04-07-2013, 20:43

I've never smoked so it doesnt affect me, but for the benefit of others I certainly hope that what I heard was correct.

rickb
04-07-2013, 21:04
In all seriousness, me too.

This was good to learn. I really should have quit on the Trail, but that was an opportunity lost.

I do remember sharing a shelter in the Smokies with a Physician who was excited to meet a thu hiker. I know he was genuinely saddened when I lit up. It would have been so flicking easy at that time to quit. I was in great shape and it could have been a turning point.

Now, how about that other stuff. It is a myth that it kills brain cells right? I read online that your spelling goes first, then it's all down hill from there.

MuddyWaters
04-07-2013, 21:48
The damage to your lungs, and general health is totally reversed supposedly after about 10yrs after quitting.

However, cancer effects are long lasting.

My dad quit smoking and drinking at 32, before that time he did a lot of both, he grew up in a party town.
At 72, he died of esophageal cancer, which basically only occurs in people that smoke and drink alcohol. They call it the "hollywood" cancer.

40 yrs later, the effects of about 15 yrs of smoking/drinking killed him.

I also watched a coworker die from esophageal cancer as well, he smoked heavily up till he couldnt anymore.
It is one of the worst ways to watch people die. They cannot eat or drink, feeding thru a G-tube into the stomach. Its horrible.
If more could witness these things , less people would do them. 95% mortality rate because its not caught until its generally inoperable, ie someone has trouble swallowing is the first sign

ViolentOrgasm
04-16-2013, 13:06
Smoking enhances hiking. It always has and always will.

Rasty
04-16-2013, 13:13
Smoking enhances hiking. It always has and always will.

Just did 90 miles of hiking after quiting smoking. Being able to walk up hill without taking a break every five minutes enhances the experience so much more!

T-Rx
04-16-2013, 19:40
Just did 90 miles of hiking after quiting smoking. Being able to walk up hill without taking a break every five minutes enhances the experience so much more!

Congratulations on quitting smoking Rasty!