PDA

View Full Version : First 23 mile day

Chex Mix
03-25-2013, 12:35
My first 23 mile day was the section right before you enter the smokies from the Fontana side. It was like from the shelter right before Cheoh Bald to the dam. Probably not the best elevation to do for a first but it was a net loss. Did this in less than 12 hours, that's including breaks and lunch. Tips to go farther faster?

leaftye
03-25-2013, 12:47
Time management.

max patch
03-25-2013, 12:49
Time management.

That.

Plus if you can do 23 now when you reach PA 30 will be a breeze.

Violent Green
03-25-2013, 13:18
To expound on time management - Get up early, get out of camp quickly, take few breaks, hike later. Repeat. It's easier to hike longer than to hike faster.

Ryan

leaftye
03-25-2013, 13:24
Don't forget short breaks. When it comes to piss breaks, I go as far as unbuckling, unsnapping and unzipping...and the reverse...while I'm still moving. I think it's Skurka that claimed he doesn't even stop. I won't go that far, but I try to go about my breaks like it's a Nascar pit stop.

bigcranky
03-25-2013, 13:26
It's easier to hike longer than to hike faster.

Ryan

Yup, this. I'm hardly in the 23 mpd league, but when I want to go for a long day, I start very early, and break it up into chunks. Hit the trail at first light, hike for three or four hours, take a two hour break, hike for three or four hours, take a two hour dinner break, then hike for two or three hours before setting up camp. Combined with an easy pace, this lets me cover the most ground over the course of a day.

leaftye
03-25-2013, 13:35
My last 23 had me at a 2.7 mph moving average (overall avg is slower), over an hour break in the middle at a resupply stop, and stopping early. That's not a terribly fast overall pace, and some would even say it's slow. The next day I did 19 miles before 3 pm.

I'm not sure how far I could go if I really stretched my legs. Probably 30 or a little over. While I'm adjusting my physical fitness and time management to do those miles, I haven't had a reason to actually do it yet.

fredmugs
03-25-2013, 18:42
I can still bang out 20+ mile days. Try this....

Be ready to hit the trail at twilight (not sunrise).
Be on a schedule to hike about 55 minutes and take a 5 minute break every hour.
Take a 30 minute lunch break
Go on 55 and 5 the rest of the day until dark

I did NOC to Fontana (29 miles?) in about 13 hours that way.

Going as fast as you can is NOT recommended.

leaftye
03-25-2013, 18:52
I can still bang out 20+ mile days. Try this....

Be ready to hit the trail at twilight (not sunrise).
Be on a schedule to hike about 55 minutes and take a 5 minute break every hour.
Take a 30 minute lunch break
Go on 55 and 5 the rest of the day until dark

I did NOC to Fontana (29 miles?) in about 13 hours that way.

Going as fast as you can is NOT recommended.

You mean dawn. At least I hope you mean dawn!

The way you hike is almost exactly the way I hike, except I don't take a lunch break. Call it a water retrieval break, and it's the same.

SOBO_Pace
03-25-2013, 19:35
For big days (30+) I needed to have at least 10 miles by 10 a.m. I would pack all my snacks in the top of my bag then walk until lunch (16 miles+/-) only stopping to pee. Also for breakfast I just shook a lot of stuff up in a bottle and drink it as I left camp. Music also seemed to help keep the drive.

SOBO_Pace
03-25-2013, 20:04
20+ mile days will come more and more, and then more easily. By the end a 20 mile day will be a nice easy stroll.

PACE

Malto
03-25-2013, 20:35
My first 23 mile day was the section right before you enter the smokies from the Fontana side. It was like from the shelter right before Cheoh Bald to the dam. Probably not the best elevation to do for a first but it was a net loss. Did this in less than 12 hours, that's including breaks and lunch. Tips to go farther faster?

You hit a huge milestone.... A mental one. If you believe that a 20 mile day is doable then a 25 mile day is within reach. I have found that the mental barriers are often much bigger than physical. How to push it further. First, don't worry about going fast, in fact watch your first and last 2-3 miles and see how consistent you are. Next, start earlier. This is one of the best ways to put in the miles, or just stop at noon at your destination. Everyone has their magic formula. 10 by 10, 12 by 12 and my personal favorite that I sometimes achieve, the 20 by 12. The key to this is an early start. Next, fueling. As you push the miles you will encounter new breaking points. The first may be nutrition. This can easily be managed by dripping in the calories as you hike vs. stopping for breaks. I target 300 calories per hour, primarily carbs. Next will come hydration and possibly electrolyte replacement. I found that these issues are more common as the daily mileage increases. Breaks, I believe breaks are counterproductive after you hit a certain fitness level. My feet and legs take a few minutes to get back moving. Efficiency. In addition to eating on the move, you can increase your hiking time by getting efficient at tasks such as setup and tear down. That is primarily why I hike with tarp bivy. I only set up the tarp if its going to rain. Another big one for me was putting pouches on my hip belt. I can hold several hours worth of food without having to stop and take my pack off. And your pack should allow quick access to anything you may need during the day.

All of these things will make higher miles easier. But the key is enjoying it at the same time. I found that high mile days seem perfectly normal and extremely enjoyable. The downside will be that there will be few folks that will join you on your long days.

MuddyWaters
03-25-2013, 22:36
The old saying is if you want to hike a 20 mile day, do 10 miles by noon.
Lots of truth to it.
Start early, dont dawdle, hike late

You cant really hike much faster. You have to hike longer
As days get longer, you will hike later and later
When summer comes, some hikers will roll into the shelters at 8:30 or 9pm after 25+ mile days.

Not hiking uphill also helps.

shelb
03-25-2013, 23:02
My friend and I are only section hikers. This summer we completed our 2nd over-100 mile section, going from PennMar to Lickdale, PA, just north of Rausch Gap, in 8 days. We completed 2 or 3 hikes at 20 miles or higher (one I remember was 22 or 24). While the trail was pretty flat for AT standards, we - midwesterners- are used to flat stuff in our part of the country. I will say that the bottom of my feet ACHED for 2 weeks after I arrived home.

I learned that I should not have targeted every rock with my feet while walking - that the hard surfaces helped create a condition called "plantar fascitis" in my feet. Thankfully, it is gone now, and I am looking forward to my next 100 mile section this summer!

Malto
03-26-2013, 07:41
I learned that I should not have targeted every rock with my feet while walking - that the hard surfaces helped create a condition called "plantar fascitis" in my feet. Thankfully, it is gone now, and I am looking forward to my next 100 mile section this summer!

What you learned seems so common sense and easy though I dont think are brains are wired not to hit the high spots. I moved to PA a year ago and had to relearn this all over again.

fredmugs
03-26-2013, 08:55
You mean dawn. At least I hope you mean dawn!

The way you hike is almost exactly the way I hike, except I don't take a lunch break. Call it a water retrieval break, and it's the same.

Dawn = Sunrise to me (probably wrong). Twilight usually occurs about 30 minutes before that.

I'll be generic and say first light.

BTW - it's hard for me to take a 30 minute break.

fredmugs
03-26-2013, 09:00
Before any hike I use this to determine Twilight, Sunrise, Sunset, Twi Night, and Day Length. I figure my minimum Miles Per Day is Hours of Daylight - 1 * 2 MPH.

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/

klpicktown
03-26-2013, 09:00
+1 on the music helping..... but I usually only put it on during a tough/long climb, a bunch of PUD's, or the last few miles of a long day... it's my little motivational system

Tipi Walter
03-26-2013, 09:51

Get a car.

double d
03-26-2013, 10:28
Couldn't agree more with you Tipi! Please stop and look around once in a while, everytime I hear about "miles" on the AT, I think, please, look around once in a while and enjoy yourself.

MkBibble
03-26-2013, 10:41
This:
To expound ... Get up early, get out of camp quickly ... hike later... Ryan
My first 20 mile day came when I got up to watch the sunrise at Cheoah Bald. Without even thinking about it, I was on the trail before I normally even wake up. Had a nice long casual walk to Fontana Dam (except for the last 1.5 miles that went on forever), and got there just before sunset.

Kerosene
03-26-2013, 10:56
I've also found that taking a break for an early dinner is a great way to re-charge and crank out another 4-6 miles before finding a campsite. If the weather is so-so and the trail is well marked, you might also consider night hiking to extend the daily mileage. I've never had the need (or desire) to do more than 30, but I've done a number of days in the 25-28 mile range on consecutive days, usually at a 2.5 mph average pace. Getting your total pack weight down to 15% of your body weight also helps.

Malto
03-26-2013, 12:01
Couldn't agree more with you Tipi! Please stop and look around once in a while, everytime I hear about "miles" on the AT, I think, please, look around once in a while and enjoy yourself.

why is it that people constant have to interject their definition of enjoying themselves? The OP wasn't asking how you enjoy your hike, he was asking for tips on how to go further. Just because you may (or not) be out of shape and unable to enjoy yourself doesn't mean that others can't be perfectly happy walking all day and doing high mile days. With all the crap that people talk about HYOH, I guess that only applies if they decide to hike a hike that you enjoy.

leaftye
03-26-2013, 13:10
Dawn = Sunrise to me (probably wrong). Twilight usually occurs about 30 minutes before that.

I'll be generic and say first light.

BTW - it's hard for me to take a 30 minute break.

Dawn is first light, but I typically call it first light too because there's no confusing the meaning of that. Twilight is last light or a horrible movies series.

Chaco Taco
03-26-2013, 14:17
sometimes its fun to do big miles. I did Overmountain to Kincora, 33.6 miles. Also did a loop around Franconia Ridge last fall as a day, Flume Center, Whitehouse Trail to Liberty to Lafayette, Galehead, down Old Bridle Path and Pemi Trail. Roughly 17 miles and that one hurt

magic_game03
03-26-2013, 14:56
Chex Mix,

Some tips for hiking faster.

1. Know your conditions. There is a lot that goes into pulling back-to-back-to-back 40's or a 50 mile day. You have to have good weather, be knowledgeable about water sources ahead, have your food perfectly rationed out, and such. If this is your first thru-hike, realize that you will gain experience and this type of effort is mostly accompanied by a good wealth of knowledge about what lies ahead and less about how athletic you are.

2. Calculations. To pull big days and big stretches you have to have be able to put all your time splits down. For example, I may decide that there is 14 hours of sunlight. I would usually subtract 1 hour for breaks and lunch so I have 13 hours to hike. Sounds like a lot of time for breaks but it is not! 15 minutes for morning snack and adjustment, 1/2 hour for lunch, & 15 minutes for late day snack and adjustment. When you get to your breaks pull out a watch and time yourself. Start packing with 5 minutes left. Calculations and timing are everything when you are trying to reach big miles.

3. be ready to hike from twilight to twilight. It's easy to get caught up in loafing around but getting up before sunrise is essential. There is something very awesome and unique about getting up before sunrise and hiking-out. the refreshing feeling of watching the sun come up from the trail is a far superior experience than waiting till the sun hits the tent at 9 in the morning. Also waking up at 5:30 am and hiking 3 hours, 8 miles, up to the next shelter and realizing people are just waking up is such an ego boost.

4. Be patient. By the time you hit Maryland you should be doing ~30's pretty regularly.

Airman
03-26-2013, 16:22
But why would you want to?

Malto
03-26-2013, 16:42
But why would you want to?

I agree why would you want to? In fact there are less bugs if you stay home so why would even hike on a trail. And food is better at restaurants so that's even more reason not to hike. In fact, exercise makes you tired so not only should you stay at home but you should lay on the couch.

double d
03-26-2013, 17:12
why is it that people constant have to interject their definition of enjoying themselves? The OP wasn't asking how you enjoy your hike, he was asking for tips on how to go further. Just because you may (or not) be out of shape and unable to enjoy yourself doesn't mean that others can't be perfectly happy walking all day and doing high mile days. With all the crap that people talk about HYOH, I guess that only applies if they decide to hike a hike that you enjoy.

I agree, each person has to HYOH, and the OP did ask for opinions Malto, and I will say this, I hiked much of the Colorado Trail last summer and what did I hear in each section,"gee, I did X amount of miles today." Last summer was tough because of the lack of water and the heat on the CT, but again, miles dominated the conversations I had with other hikers. BTW: I never ask any hiker how far they hike that day, they volunteer it to me all-the-time.

Chaco Taco
03-26-2013, 17:15
Its fun to test yourself. Especially if it is raining, big miles are pretty cool

1azarus
03-26-2013, 17:29
i don't think i missed anyone else suggesting this -- if i did, sorry! try hiking before dawn, first. it is fun to hike in the dark -- and less scary to try it out when you know daybreak is coming up soon. starting before dawn, with a little planning, can give you sunrise viewing opportunities, while sneaking in a few more miles. Being willing to hike after dark at the end of the day takes pressure off the "oh my, i must be in camp sooooon or i will run out of light" worries, not to mention adding some more sunset possibilities. basically, i'm agreeing with the just keep hiking suggestion. the other advantage to hiking before and after dark is that when the days are short you don't feel compelled to sleep for 12 hours, or at least try to.

redseal
03-26-2013, 20:54
Going further faster? What helps me go faster is to ensure I stay well fed and hydrated throughout the day. Some short breaks here and there help as well.

daddytwosticks
03-27-2013, 07:30
i don't think i missed anyone else suggesting this -- if i did, sorry! try hiking before dawn, first. it is fun to hike in the dark -- and less scary to try it out when you know daybreak is coming up soon. starting before dawn, with a little planning, can give you sunrise viewing opportunities, while sneaking in a few more miles. Being willing to hike after dark at the end of the day takes pressure off the "oh my, i must be in camp sooooon or i will run out of light" worries, not to mention adding some more sunset possibilities. basically, i'm agreeing with the just keep hiking suggestion. the other advantage to hiking before and after dark is that when the days are short you don't feel compelled to sleep for 12 hours, or at least try to. Plus, wildlife tends to be more active at dawn/early morning. More opportunities for wildlife viewing if that's your thing. :)

JAK
03-27-2013, 08:35
My first 23 mile day was the section right before you enter the smokies from the Fontana side. It was like from the shelter right before Cheoh Bald to the dam. Probably not the best elevation to do for a first but it was a net loss. Did this in less than 12 hours, that's including breaks and lunch. Tips to go farther faster?Congrats on the PB. Not sure what my hiking record is, but it is less. As for arguments why, if you are capable of it, so you can do it with your head up, you can see more scenery. My least enjoyable hikes have been done staring at my feet, and it was not because I was doing 20 miles per day, it was more like 8 miles in 12 hours because I was out of shape, overburdened, plus some fever and heat stroke. Still a good trudge though. Some of my best trudges have been done staring at my feet. It's all good.

My general advice to more miles per day is trim as much body fat off as you can, but you gotta work with what you've got on the day. Second is to hike twilight to sunset. Eat breakfast in the dark, set up camp at last light, and eat supper in the dark. Walk at a pace that you can walk all the hours in between. In winter, day is shorter, but some moon lit trudges or skis are possible. Two meals a day, and just water and jerky in between. But as Tipi said, keep your head up and enjoy the scenery. Don't stop unless you want to. I only stop if I've been staring at my feet, unless I'm enjoying it.

JAK
03-27-2013, 08:37
Black flies will also keep you moving.

keepinitsimple
03-27-2013, 08:41
My buddy and I are section hikers. We leave our homes around 330 am to meet, no the road by 4am, at the trail head before sun up. We have recently hit the 20 mile a day mark and felt quite accomplished. We then did 40 miles in 2 days, I hurt for a while after that. We started talking about a 25 mile day. And I agree with the person who said that some of our barriers are mental more than physical. One strategy we started using is no cook meals, just jerky, protein bars etc. I have to say our 40 mile weekend was partially in the cumberland valley of PA. As PA hikers we are used to the Rocksyvania attitude, so we were able to turn and burn in the soft valley. I love hiking, I love white blaze, spring is here folks, hike on !

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 10:12
Plus, wildlife tends to be more active at dawn/early morning. More opportunities for wildlife viewing if that's your thing. :)

Doing a longish day in Shenandoah last May, I was out on the trail at first light. Great time to be out -- the weather is cool, it's quiet and relaxing. Except there was a very large bear sleeping in a tree directly over the trail. I never would have seen him, but he heard me coming and came out of that tree in a huge hurry, falling the last 10 or 15 feet onto his butt, right in front of me. Quite amusing, if I could get my heart rate down enough to laugh.... He didn't think it was all that funny.

The other fun early morning thing is finding the ruffed grouse who've roosted next to the trail overnight. :)

SOBO_Pace
03-27-2013, 19:36
Plus, wildlife tends to be more active at dawn/early morning. More opportunities for wildlife viewing if that's your thing. :)

Doing a longish day in Shenandoah last May, I was out on the trail at first light. Great time to be out -- the weather is cool, it's quiet and relaxing. Except there was a very large bear sleeping in a tree directly over the trail. I never would have seen him, but he heard me coming and came out of that tree in a huge hurry, falling the last 10 or 15 feet onto his butt, right in front of me. Quite amusing, if I could get my heart rate down enough to laugh.... He didn't think it was all that funny.

The other fun early morning thing is finding the ruffed grouse who've roosted next to the trail overnight. :)

+1. Those things will literally fly into your head. :)

Biggie Master
03-27-2013, 20:00
Malto - you are dead on target with the last two posts. Keep em coming!

JAK
03-27-2013, 20:08
Dawn is first light, but I typically call it first light too because there's no confusing the meaning of that. Twilight is last light or a horrible movies series.I would agree with that, at least the first part. Dawn is the beginning of twilight in the morning, and dusk is the end of twilight in the evening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn