PDA

View Full Version : Best time to start AT to appreciate almost 4 season?

Kookork
03-25-2013, 17:29
I am planning to hike AT in 2014. I prefer to start the trail when there is no leaf buds on the trees but I like to see the budding and blooming and the rejuvenation of nature in about 2 weeks from the start of the trail. I seriously prefer to sleep above the Max Patch when it is green and vivacious. When do you think I should start considering I am planning to hike the trail in a 150 days ( plus minus 20 days).

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 17:31
I am planning to hike AT in 2014. I prefer to start the trail when there is no leaf buds on the trees but I like to see the budding and blooming and the rejuvenation of nature in about 2 weeks from the start of the trail. I seriously prefer to sleep above the Max Patch when it is green and vivacious. When do you think I should start considering I am planning to hike the trail in a 150 days ( plus minus 20 days).

late march

Kookork
03-25-2013, 17:34
late march

Thank you LW.

Cookerhiker
03-25-2013, 17:34
It's hard to get all 4 seasons in only 150 days. An April 1 start will give you late winter (pre-foliage) and early Spring with the first wildflowers but 150 days means you finish around August 30 when the Fall colors haven't really taken off yet in Maine. Can you stretch it out to 6 months?

Kookork
03-25-2013, 17:42
It's hard to get all 4 seasons in only 150 days. An April 1 start will give you late winter (pre-foliage) and early Spring with the first wildflowers but 150 days means you finish around August 30 when the Fall colors haven't really taken off yet in Maine. Can you stretch it out to 6 months?

If I would miss the full color of Maine by 150 days I can definitely make it 6 months. It happens once in my life and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest.

Kookork
03-25-2013, 17:49
late march

Will you be my guest for a beer in your town if available?

Lone Wolf
03-25-2013, 17:51
Will you be my guest for a beer in your town if available?

hell yeah!

Kookork
03-25-2013, 18:01
hell yeah!

I wont miss the chance Sir.

dmath010
03-25-2013, 20:25
Add Content

Kookork
03-25-2013, 21:11
Add Content

Sorry add content? You mean info?

flemdawg1
03-26-2013, 10:34

I don't think your goals and hiking length are compatible. If you want to hike pre-leafing then late March, but Max patch won't be fully green until May. Fall color arrives in New England in Mid-Sept. Backing from Mid-sept ~150 days is Mid-April.

Cookerhiker
03-26-2013, 11:02
If my experience is any indication, even mid-September in Maine doesn't have the full foliage. I hiked up Katahdin in mid-September of '05 and '07. The leaves on the small saplings were just starting to turn.

wcgornto
03-26-2013, 11:10
I hiked SOBO in 2009. I went from late spring green in ME to every leaf on the ground fall / winter in TN/NC/GA. Most of the fall leaf color was in VA. The only snow / ice I encountered was in VA, an early cold blast in mid-October.

A good general rule of thumb is that the green climbs up the mountains about 100 feet per day in the spring and the color climbs down the mountains about 100 feet per day in the fall.

Kookork
03-26-2013, 11:45
I don't think your goals and hiking length are compatible. If you want to hike pre-leafing then late March, but Max patch won't be fully green until May. Fall color arrives in New England in Mid-Sept. Backing from Mid-sept ~150 days is Mid-April.

Thank you flemdawg1 : Since I am not in a rush, I recon I can start the trail early April and hike the trail at slower pace until I reach my peak and then hike around 20 miles per day. This way I can enjoy the trail better in a gradual pace. The only reason for me to reach the destination ( Katahdin ) is that it is the end of journey. I can't care less about the destination.

Kookork
03-26-2013, 11:47
I hiked SOBO in 2009. I went from late spring green in ME to every leaf on the ground fall / winter in TN/NC/GA. Most of the fall leaf color was in VA. The only snow / ice I encountered was in VA, an early cold blast in mid-October.

A good general rule of thumb is that the green climbs up the mountains about 100 feet per day in the spring and the color climbs down the mountains about 100 feet per day in the fall.

This 100 feet per day info is amazing. I never heard about it before. Thank you