PDA

View Full Version : Tarp Tent Moment DW

4Bears
03-25-2013, 23:24
I was on the Tarptent.com site and saw where Henry Shires now has a Double Wall version of the Moment also has dual entry. Anyone out there had a chance to check one out??

Rasty
03-25-2013, 23:39
Looks interesting but a little heavy for a one person. I would get the Notch if purchasing another tent. Currently have a double rainbow.

capehiker
03-26-2013, 00:54
Looks interesting but a little heavy for a one person. I would get the Notch if purchasing another tent. Currently have a double rainbow.

Rasty, this isn't directed at you personally but I chuckled a little that a 2lb 2oz tent is now considered heavy in today's gear world. I love that technology has gotten us lighter (and my back does, too).

yaduck9
03-26-2013, 10:26

The weight savings of the Notch puzzled me, but then i read, somewhere, that there were optional tent poles, for the Notch, that weighed 4 oz.

So, imo, comparing the Notch and the Moment DW is a bit tricky until the spec sheet is updated to account for the different variations.

just a thought.

Rasty
03-26-2013, 10:59
The weight savings of the Notch puzzled me, but then i read, somewhere, that there were optional tent poles, for the Notch, that weighed 4 oz.

So, imo, comparing the Notch and the Moment DW is a bit tricky until the spec sheet is updated to account for the different variations.

just a thought.

If you already use trekking poles then the Notch is 8 ounces lighter.

yaduck9
03-26-2013, 12:20
and so the "trickiness" begins :p

4Bears
03-26-2013, 14:24
In looking further I see the Notch has a smaller floor 32" wide versus the Moment at 42"

NLaeger
03-26-2013, 21:09
I'm currently on the AT with the new Moment and loving it! It's kept me dry and is solid in the wind!!!

BradMT
03-26-2013, 22:05
The TT Moment DW is about the only TT that has my attention...

q-tip
03-27-2013, 11:05
An engineering masterpiece.....

Big Dawg
03-27-2013, 23:58
An engineering masterpiece.....

Agree! Henry keeps knockin it outta the park!!!

Hope to receive my new Moment DW soon!

magic_game03
03-28-2013, 13:28
The hiking community really loves these Henry Shires tents. They are beautiful. But I'm gonna have to stick to my guns. I'm not gonna give up my Hubba until I can find a better free-standing two layered (fly & bug screen) tent.

I played the stake-the-tent game on my second thru and I much prefer the free-standing option. I can set up in shelters without hook screws, move my tent with the changing sun/shade with out having to re-stake it, set up for a quick lunch in the bug screen, my set-up time is less than 1 minute, heck I've even set up on pick nick tables when the ground is wet (no shelters out west).

...Still they are beautiful tents, if HS ever creates a free-standing tent then they will most likely have my money.

jeffmeh
03-28-2013, 14:19
The Moment DW: "Free-standing and snow-load capable with optional 7-ounce pole."

BradMT
03-28-2013, 22:42
The hiking community really loves these Henry Shires tents. They are beautiful. But I'm gonna have to stick to my guns. I'm not gonna give up my Hubba until I can find a better free-standing two layered (fly & bug screen) tent.

I played the stake-the-tent game on my second thru and I much prefer the free-standing option. I can set up in shelters without hook screws, move my tent with the changing sun/shade with out having to re-stake it, set up for a quick lunch in the bug screen, my set-up time is less than 1 minute, heck I've even set up on pick nick tables when the ground is wet (no shelters out west).

...Still they are beautiful tents, if HS ever creates a free-standing tent then they will most likely have my money.

I bought a Hubba (HP version) last year and absolutely love it. Brilliant, simple, bombproof design. Going to get some carbon fiber poles for it soon and lose another 1/2 lb.

Big Dawg
03-29-2013, 00:30

The Hubba is a nice tent. My friend used one on his 07 thru, and loved it. Where the TT Moment/Notch excels for me is the overall length. Even tho the floor length is 84" (same as the Hubba), the canopy extends a foot longer on both sides. This feature is crucial for me b/c I'm 6'5". The ends of my long sleeping bag always stay pressed up against both ends of the bathtub floor, so splash from rain that would make it past a Hubba style canopy would eventually wet the ends of my bag. The Moment solves this problem. Also, the cross pole of the moment essentially makes it free standing for 7 ozs more, with a total weight still under the Hubba. I also like that the Moment/Notch interior is attached to the canopy. It helps to keep the interior dry when deploying in the rain.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 01:11
The Moment DW: "Free-standing and snow-load capable with optional 7-ounce pole."

Darn, now ya got me in a pinch. My only issue with the Hubba is that I can't put my two dogs inside and I think the Moment has a lot more floor space that would fit them. I'm not completely sold on the HS Moment but now I gotta go out and research it. Thanks for all the extra work jeffmeh. :rolleyes:

(thanks for looking out jeff :) )

4Bears
03-29-2013, 08:22
Darn, now ya got me in a pinch. My only issue with the Hubba is that I can't put my two dogs inside and I think the Moment has a lot more floor space that would fit them. I'm not completely sold on the HS Moment but now I gotta go out and research it. Thanks for all the extra work jeffmeh. :rolleyes:

You might look at the "Stratoshire" or the Lighheart SoLong 6 Standard.

mankind117
04-03-2013, 14:17
I have one of the new double wall moments. I've used it for 3 nights so far. I really like it so far. I'm very tall, 6'6" so the interior height is a little short but that is a lot of tents. If I sit up straight with no mat my head just touches the ceiling. What I like about the tent is the length. Although the floor length is 86 inches the tent fly extends almost a foot beyond the end of the floor and the bug netting itself is longer than the floor. Thus I have plenty of room to stretch out and not worry about touching a wet fly. I used a large 77x25 inches neoair xtherm and it fit fine with the tapered ends. The fact that the floor is 42 inches wide in the middle allows me to keep most of my extra clothes and gear in the tent with my shoes and pack in the vestibule. The vestibule was able to fit an 85 liter pack in it upright so it is not small. Overall it is larger than I thought it would be. When I am on my mat I do have to slouch to sit up but at least I don't touch the fly. The storm flaps on the ends allow for good ventaltion and I had only a small amount despite camping in a river valley next to a river on a chilly night in pennyslvania. Other than the height which is only an issue for someone like me it is a really nice little tent. What I really wanted this for is to pair it with the solid inner and the crossing pole to use as a winter tent.

jeffmeh
04-03-2013, 18:02

No worries. Also note that the Rainbow and Double Rainbow can be set up freestanding with trekking poles. The Rainbow gives you a bit more height and interior space over the Moment. I have set up a Rainbow free-standing with trekking poles and it does work well.

jeffmeh
04-03-2013, 18:13
I have one of the new double wall moments. I've used it for 3 nights so far. I really like it so far. I'm very tall, 6'6" so the interior height is a little short but that is a lot of tents. If I sit up straight with no mat my head just touches the ceiling. What I like about the tent is the length. Although the floor length is 86 inches the tent fly extends almost a foot beyond the end of the floor and the bug netting itself is longer than the floor. Thus I have plenty of room to stretch out and not worry about touching a wet fly. I used a large 77x25 inches neoair xtherm and it fit fine with the tapered ends. The fact that the floor is 42 inches wide in the middle allows me to keep most of my extra clothes and gear in the tent with my shoes and pack in the vestibule. The vestibule was able to fit an 85 liter pack in it upright so it is not small. Overall it is larger than I thought it would be. When I am on my mat I do have to slouch to sit up but at least I don't touch the fly. The storm flaps on the ends allow for good ventaltion and I had only a small amount despite camping in a river valley next to a river on a chilly night in pennyslvania. Other than the height which is only an issue for someone like me it is a really nice little tent. What I really wanted this for is to pair it with the solid inner and the crossing pole to use as a winter tent.

Did you look at the Notch? A bit more headroom, and you can get solid inners for it.

mankind117
04-04-2013, 08:25
I have a friend who has a notch. Someday I might get one but I wanted the moment for the easiest possible setup on snow, frozen ground, etc . . .
I already have a stratospire 2 for my luxury solo tent or if the wife joins me.

macfriend
04-04-2013, 16:30
I'm currently on the AT with the new Moment and loving it! It's kept me dry and is solid in the wind!!!

How much does yours way? And how is the condensation?

capehiker
04-04-2013, 17:35
I just got off the phone ordering the Moment DW. I have a 3 day section hike coming up in early May and am looking forward to getting it out on the trail. I'll post a mini review after the trip.

smithcj06
04-14-2013, 08:56
Having used the original Moment on my AT and PCT thru-hikes the past two summers I am so happy Henry came out with the DW. The modifications fix pretty much all the problems I had with the moment. The condensation issue was a big one the single entry and the useless vents on top created some problems but with double entry and the modified ventilation slots above the doors that should allow for so much more ventilation. The inner bug netting should be nice as well (especially removing it and just using the outer-wall :-). I plan on using the DW moment for my CDT sobo this year so I'll know whether or not the changes Henry made were effective in the initial issue with the moment. Either way the thing is two stakes, one pole and sets up so fast and that's why I love the thing.

Franco
04-16-2013, 01:52
I shot a video clip on the moment DW showing the new features.kind of long and very amateurish but I do these videos on the fly one take only.
(saves time that way...)
Here it is :

Franco
04-16-2013, 01:54
ry again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HK1-nryaY0&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=1

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HK1-nryaY0&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=1)

Big Dawg
04-16-2013, 23:50
Thanks Franco! Nice to see a vid on the DW. Can't wait to get mine,, hopefully w/in a week or so,,, just in time for a section hike in May!!

NLaeger
04-17-2013, 20:47
Macfriend- I never weighed mine but the website says 34oz... I don't have the extra 7oz pole at this time either... It packs small enough that I keep it inside my pack. I also love the interior size... Take into account I'm only 5'4 but the middle width is great and I can keep pretty much everything inside the tent with me! I haven't noticed a problem with condensation yet and the only real problem I've had is when packing it up after a night of rain I just have to be careful that the fly doesn't flop over or onto the mesh interior and get the inside wet... It also dries really quick once the sun comes out!!

Franco
04-17-2013, 21:56
NLaegerIf needed you can unclip the inner , shove that into the pack and clip it back after you set the tent up the next time.
Hold the D or O ring with one hand and gently twist the mitten hook out with the other.
Takes me about 1 minute to do.
After that you get fully dressed with the pack done up , dismantle the shelter and put that across the top (under the lead or in the front pocket)
That is what I would do, it may not work for you...

infini
04-19-2013, 05:01
Is the Moment DW fully bugproof?

capehiker
04-19-2013, 09:14
I got my Moment DW yesterday and did a quick pitch before sunset. Here are some quick impressions of the tent:

It's really easy to set up and I'd say it took me about 4 minutes only because I was going slow and was looking at the fabric closely as I was pitching. I can definitely see the pitch going fast once I'm used to it. I didn't read the supporting directions until after it was pitched and I was laying inside the tent. I requested the tent to be seam sealed before it was shipped and it arrived sealed. There were also 5 or 6 silicone strips on the floor for sleep pad traction (nice added touch). I gave it a quick sprinkler test to see if there any initial leak spots and found none. I did not get the optional cross pole. The Easton stakes that come with it are lightweight and hearty. The best way to describe them is they feel "right" in your hands and in the ground.

Inside, it felt roomy enough for me. I'm 6'2" and broad shouldered so I'm pretty finicky when it comes to width. The width can be adjusted to make more room in the vestibule. There is vestibule space on either side (can put boots on one side, pack on the other. I cinched up the width pretty good and still felt comfortable. The interior netting system can be removed via clips leaving the fly to stand alone. The interior system is fully enclosed with bathtub style flooring. There is a door on either side. I was able to sit almost completely upright in it with only a small tilt of the head. It did not feel uncomfortable doing this.

I'm going on an overnight camping trip tonight so i will see how it handles condensation and ventilation. I'm expecting temps to drop into low-40's. I'm debating doing a quick iPhone video review since there aren't many reviews of the newest model. I think Franco's is the first one.

P.S. the total weight out of the box with seam sealing came out to 35.8oz.

Big Dawg
04-20-2013, 01:08
Is the Moment DW fully bugproof?

Yes........ the interior netting is, which can be unclipped and removed if desired.

icdaywee
08-26-2013, 14:39
Anybody else have the Moment DW with new reviews? I am leaning towards this tarptent for my 2014 Thru.

Franco
08-26-2013, 17:54
BTW, The Moment DW is now available with the solid inner too (that is the white fabric inner)
franco@tarptent

icdaywee
08-27-2013, 11:05
I saw that Franco! That's one of the many reasons the Moment DW is what I am thinking about getting. But the Double Rainbow just got a bunch of awards and looks very intriguing too. If Henry didn't come out with the DW version of the Moment the choice would have been a lot easier!

mankind117
08-28-2013, 13:58
I think the moment dw may be about the perfect tent. I've tried quite a few tarptents (rainbows, stratospire2, and scarp) and other more conventional double wall tents over the years but the moment dw is the best. It has enough room for one person to be comfortable, the double wall is good if you live on the east coast, it is still only a little over 2 lbs and putting it up is just a breeze. The pole through the sleeze, then 2 stakes and you are done. No fiddeling around. I have seen a notch but the moment is just less to fiddle with. With the solid inner just released I think the moment dw will be a great winter tent (when I say winter I mean winter in pa and wv).

stranger
08-31-2013, 01:32
Let me start by saying I'm fairly close to ordering this tent...however, there is where I'm at:

34 ounces...which will probably mean 36 ounces after seam sealing. Then, it's 'pure' silnylon, meaning it is slippery and is not as waterproof as silnylon with a poly coating...

Enter Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, 38 ounces, with a 1200mm poly coating, comes seam sealed, and will be able to find on sale for about $280. And probably a better warranty.

So...why would you go with the Moment? Please speak on function only, I don't care if you want to buy American made, or support Henry, blah blah blah...based on function...why the Moment over the Copper Spur?? Price aside, I don't care about the money.

capehiker
08-31-2013, 02:02
Stranger-

Below is my video review of the Moment DW. I had it seam sealed at Tarptent and the first night it rained hard and long (about 5 hours shown in video) and not a drop came in. Also, simplicity. I had the tent up in a few minutes and didn't read the directions until I was already inside, kicked back on my sleep pad and soaking in the joys of a new tent. Only needing 2 stakes was a huge highlight. I do have spectra cord and 2 extra stakes for real windy nights but for the most part, two stakes and it's great for the night. Then there's usable floor space. While the Copper Spur claims it's 90 inches in length, when you add in a sleep pad, you lose space. In the Moment, I was able to stretch all the way out with a sleep pad and not touch the foot or head. Another feature that I fine tuned was the moveable floor, giving me a custom designed vestibule depending on what I wanted to keep in the tent vs. vestibule.

For me, being a tall person, I felt robbed with the Big Agnes tents with regards to floor space. As I shopped around and laid in the BA tents I kept thinking there's no way the tents are the listed specs. They felt very cramped.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?94606-My-Video-Overview-Tarptent-Moment-DW

capehiker
08-31-2013, 02:02
Stranger-

Below is my video review of the Moment DW. I had it seam sealed at Tarptent and the first night it rained hard and long (about 5 hours shown in video) and not a drop came in. Also, simplicity. I had the tent up in a few minutes and didn't read the directions until I was already inside, kicked back on my sleep pad and soaking in the joys of a new tent. Only needing 2 stakes was a huge highlight. I do have spectra cord and 2 extra stakes for real windy nights but for the most part, two stakes and it's great for the night. Then there's usable floor space. While the Copper Spur claims it's 90 inches in length, when you add in a sleep pad, you lose space. In the Moment, I was able to stretch all the way out with a sleep pad and not touch the foot or head. Another feature that I fine tuned was the moveable floor, giving me a custom designed vestibule depending on what I wanted to keep in the tent vs. vestibule.

For me, being a tall person, I felt robbed with the Big Agnes tents with regards to floor space. As I shopped around and laid in the BA tents I kept thinking there's no way the tents are the listed specs. They felt very cramped.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?94606-My-Video-Overview-Tarptent-Moment-DW

stranger
08-31-2013, 02:21
Thanks for that...that helps, I actually find the Copper Spur roomy so that's good that you find the Moment roomier!

q-tip
08-31-2013, 08:39
Quick Suggestion on the new Moment--using Atsko Silicone Spray really helps with water resistance-I talked to Henry and he uses it...

capehiker
08-31-2013, 12:32
Thanks for that...that helps, I actually find the Copper Spur roomy so that's good that you find the Moment roomier!

I should clarify that the Moment "felt" longer. Length is more important to me than width. Still, for a 1 person tent, the Moment had the complete package.

q-tip
09-01-2013, 09:29
Stranger--by using Atsko Silicone spray on the Sil-Nylon-when material increases its waterproofness significantly- I talked to henry at TT about this at length-he uses it-See pics attached with/without spray..just a thought.....

stranger
09-05-2013, 03:51
Yeah more worried About the floor, which the spray won't help...pushing water through, etc...this won't happen on a Copper Spur

FamilyGuy
09-05-2013, 19:47
Yeah more worried About the floor, which the spray won't help...pushing water through, etc...this won't happen on a Copper Spur

The spray would help the floor as well. By the way, the floor on the Moment has a hydrostatic head of at least 3000mm, which is about 3 times that of the Copper Spur. The Tarptent is more waterproof.

q-tip
09-06-2013, 09:50
The Gossamer Gear Polycro Ground Sheet (1.7) oz eliminates the tent floor water issue for me.....

stranger
09-07-2013, 21:55
The spray would help the floor as well. By the way, the floor on the Moment has a hydrostatic head of at least 3000mm, which is about 3 times that of the Copper Spur. The Tarptent is more waterproof.

I've never heard of water being pushed through the Fly Creeks or Copper Spur floors with the 1200mm poly coating, which is in addition to the silnylon natural coating, however I've had water pushed through a Tarptent floor before, and I know others who have had the same experience.

Yes...I know, campsite selection. I agree, when it's possible and there is choice involved, however campsite selection in a place like New Zealand is a tad difficult compared to most of the US for example. The forests are far, far more dense.

Maybe Tarptent is using better silnylon than they used a few years ago, I like the Moment, but still not sold.

Big Dawg
09-07-2013, 22:12
The Gossamer Gear Polycro Ground Sheet (1.7) oz eliminates the tent floor water issue for me.....

Great stuff! Mine doubles as a barrier between my pad & floor when I sleep in shelters.

Oh,,, & love love love my Moment DW compared to my Copper Spur.

OutnBack
10-02-2013, 05:12
The DW Moment looks very inviting.

infini
10-06-2013, 14:31
I have some issues setting up my moment Dw and i need some advice. I attach 3 pictures, 2 with the stakes and one at the end of the tent which is not as wide as it should be. I think i am doing something wrong in steps 4,5 and 6 of the instruction manual included in the tent. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Franco
10-06-2013, 17:27
I'll post a fix a bit later but in the meantime do you have a shot showing all of your shelter ?

Franco
10-06-2013, 17:54
Sorry I just noticed that you are in Greece, different time zone...
OK
First a few set up tips.
Make sure that the two ends are parallel to each other.
Make sure that the main pole is fully spread out (sometimes a pole tip will catch the ground resulting in a narrower radius)
Having done that the PitchLock end triangle should look like this :

note that the two struts and the TripTease tie-outs look like a pyramid.
(so those struts are at a 45 degree angle not almost straight up, that is how you get maximum tension...)
You need to insert the stake (peg) fully into the ground or angle it enough so that the tie-outs (mini guylines) end touching the ground not up in the air.
To get a better idea of how that corner is supposed to work, take a look at this video clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrxAASKe_ZI
This is how you can set up the Moment correctly in 49 sec :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGdvLo_y6-k
OK, some practice is needed for that but if you look carefuly you can see my suggestions at work.

Franco
10-06-2013, 18:13
Forget about the still shot above, the camera was at a wrong angle
(you can see that by looking at the plank at the back..)
This is how that corner should look like :

4Bears
10-06-2013, 19:21
Nice videos Franco, thanks!!

infini
10-07-2013, 03:24
Sorry i don't have a picture of the full shelter. When setting up i was difficulties in attaching properly the yellow cord to the stake. I am new to setting up tents so i will have a look at the videos and your post, i am sure it will help.

Franco
10-07-2013, 18:05
InfiniThe tie-out (yellow line) from the tent end apex has a loop at the loose end . You insert the peg (stake) inside that loop.

infini
10-08-2013, 03:30
Henry can you post a picture of what you described in your last post?

Franco
10-08-2013, 04:04
Here it is :
My finger is indicating the loop wher the peg (stake) goes through.
Please remember that the stake should be inserted FULLY into the ground at the angle you see in post 53. It is partialy out of the ground so that you can see the angle.

BTW, I use Franco as my name here because that is the name I use everywhere. (Henry is in Nevada City ,USA)

infini
10-21-2013, 06:03
During my last trip i broke one of the stakes. Anyone knows the material they are made of? Not very durable. I am thinking of buying these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/tent-accessories/secure/groundhog-tent-stakes/product as a replacement.

Rasty
10-21-2013, 10:10
During my last trip i broke one of the stakes. Anyone knows the material they are made of? Not very durable. I am thinking of buying these http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/tent-accessories/secure/groundhog-tent-stakes/product as a replacement.

Aluminium....

Franco
10-22-2013, 00:57
I use a mix so that i can be ready for different soil conditions.
The 8" Easton have very good holding power and I have used them on compacted snow as well as sand jammed in "dead man" style with rocks or logs on top.
I do have some Y stakes too because they are tougher on hard soil as well as a couple of Ti nail stakes.
Treat the tent fly as a sail (that is keep it nice and taut) and tent stakes as nails (hit them square otherwise they will bend/brake)

infini
10-22-2013, 04:14
As you see, the pegs are aluminium only on the outer.

Franco
10-22-2013, 16:42
Those Easton stakes are made of 7075 aluminium, the same type used for poles and arrows.
See the description from another re-seller :

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=104

infini
10-23-2013, 05:07
Thanks for the link but in the place i live i can only find the MSR groundhog. What worries me is that that because of the Y shape they might not fit inside the yellow loop.

Franco
10-23-2013, 05:56
No problem there, they do fit...

Franco
10-23-2013, 06:04
BTW, if you have not already done so, add the guylines to the pole sleeve, so you need an extra 2 stakes for that.
I have there 6' long ones so that I can attach them to shrubs or around a log or rock.
The tent will be much more stable in strong winds that way.
(there are two black loops on the sleeve for that)

infini
10-23-2013, 06:27
Franco can you please add a picture for this? Thanks!

Franco
10-23-2013, 18:39
You can see them in this photo :
note that I was using my snowshoes as "stakes", also note my trekking poles standing in as end stakes

infini
10-29-2013, 10:08
Do you think that these http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/accessories-c10/tent-pegs-poles-c11/gram-counter-gear-titanium-nail-pegs-4pk-p2335 might be a better choice than the groundhogs? The groundhogs are 6cm longer.I usually use rocks to hammer my pegs?

infini
10-29-2013, 10:09
Sorry no question mark after the word pegs.

Franco
10-29-2013, 15:28
Infini
I have those nail pegs, 2 types.
They are strong but I have managed to bend some of those too an broke the head off one.
The only ones that I have not damaged are the Y pegs (like the Groundhogs)
However my main pegs are the long Easton.
Again most of the damage on the pegs is done by not hitting the peg square on the head, same with nails.
You could try to push them into the ground using a stone if you have to.24653

eblanche
01-24-2014, 23:20
Has anyone tried setting up the tent/fly with poles on the inside of the tent like the notch? If for example, the pole section snaps and is unrepairable (or to just save weight and not bring it).

I saw the thread posted on bpl http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82084 but looking for other options.