PDA

View Full Version : Video - Rockfish Gap Information Center Closed

Lemni Skate
03-26-2013, 04:36
News about closed information center at Rockfish Gap (http://www.nbc29.com/category/175568/video-landing-page?clipId=8708544&topVideoCatNo=82958&autoStart=true)

moldy
03-26-2013, 09:09
It was fairly worthless to hikers anyway. What I did not like about the place was that you could not park there unless you filled out a paper. That paper was only available if they were open. They had bankers hours so if you got there before 10am you were sol. We ended up parking at the commuter parking area at the abandoned gas station. The only real hiker services they offered besides the parking was a bulliten board with hiker useful information. The visitor center was designed to draw cars off the interstate and interest them in visiting the park or skyline drive. It was just a trailer type building with no exhibits or videos or other things that you might expect for a National Park Visitor Center. They did have a mostly empty coke machine.

Stalking Tortoise
03-26-2013, 10:40
But did they have a receptacle where hikers could get rid of trash?

hikernutcasey
03-26-2013, 12:58
Where do most people park there? Our group was there last year finishing up from the south and we parked up on top at the motel. We are going back next month and will be coming in from the north this time. Is there somewhere better besides the motel parking lot? That place is a major dump! I felt disgusting from just walking in the lobby. The smell was enough to make you gag :eek:

Stalking Tortoise
03-26-2013, 13:30
For my section north into SNP, I parked in the small lot between the bridges that go over Route 250 and I-64. This lot is pretty much at the point where Skyline Drive becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway..

For my section below Rockfish Gap, I filled out a parking permit at the hotel and left my truck there for a week.

Either of these spots is preferable to parking at the abandonded buildings on Route 250 below the hotel. I always refer to the Rohland's AT parking site (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/) to read comments on parking at all of the AT trailheads.