PDA

View Full Version : Muddy Tent Sites

trsix
03-26-2013, 09:09
Reading the journals, there are sometimes as many as fifty hikers at a shelter during the Georgia section during March. Obviously most are tenting. With all the rain this year, just how muddy does it get? I'm visualizing a pig sty type situation. Not that I've ever actually seen a pig sty.

Teacher & Snacktime
03-26-2013, 09:30
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/sergioz/sergioz0912/sergioz091200006/6023187-dirty-small-pigs-in-a-dirty-pigsty.jpg

Slo-go'en
03-26-2013, 10:44
If your the last to show up, you can bet the only site still available will the be muddiest! Actually, from what I have seen, it's not all that bad. The area immediately around the shelter can get a bit sloppy from all the people stomping around. Tenting areas are usually in better shape.

ChinMusic
03-26-2013, 11:25
I got to the Gooch tent platforms during a thunderstorm and found them to be a muddy disaster. They actually collect water. I found a site down by the creek and did just fine.

gunner76
03-26-2013, 20:22
Another reason to use a hammock.

NLaeger
03-26-2013, 21:14
Right now every where is a muddy mess!!! Or a frozen muddy mess!!! I've tented every night I've been out and most of the sites are fine... But the trails and any other high traffic areas are muddy!!

Tipi Walter
03-26-2013, 21:18
There are hundreds of campsites scattered along the AT before, between and after the shelters. Forget the shelter rat-boxes and the mud pits.

ChinMusic
03-27-2013, 00:07
There are hundreds of campsites scattered along the AT before, between and after the shelters. Forget the shelter rat-boxes and the mud pits.
I've only stayed in a shelter in the Smokies and tented near a shelter twice this season. All the non-shelter sites have been fine.

Theosus
03-29-2013, 22:28
Another reason to use a hammock.

Well, still... You have to put your feet in the end of the hammock, so you don't want to hang over mud...
i always take the shoes off, tie the laces together, and then hang them from the end of the hammock like a pair of keds in K mart in the 80s. But at some point my feet are going to hit the dirt...

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 00:18
You can find non muddy places to camp along the AT. It's mainly a forested trail hence sometimes being called "the green tunnel. Basically, there are an infinite number of places to find leaf litter, pine needles, decomposed granite, on the ground, hard scapes(slabs, etc), or find fast draining, fast drying, etc sites to camp. I would not call the AT a quagmire of a trail although some sections of trail sure can be/are boggy. Lots of trail maintenance and construction helps in those trail areas. Just don't camp in those areas. It's your fault if you decide to camp where the masses camp and trample the ground bare exposing it to erosion and slop. Throw into the mix lots of campfire ash and some leftover garbage from ignorant humans and yeah it can get sloppy and dirty at some shelters. Move on and find someplace else to camp. The AT IS NOT a garbage dump of a trail nor are the shelters in general! Do you really always need to have access to a shelter to camp? NO! Some shelter sites are cleaner/less muddy than others mostly because they see less use, the ground is harder, the drainage is sufficient, and/or Shelter maintainers are at work cleaning up after ignorant self absorbed inconsiderate destructive humans who care little about what they leave behind for others to experience. Hopefully, you will not join this crowd and instead be mindful that your behavior affects others and other species.

Don't sweat the muddy campsite issue. Simply avoiding muddy camping areas. Have a great hike.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 00:22
Here's a link to the AT shelters including the AMC huts on the AT through the White Mountains. Lots of shelter data that you might find helpful panning your hike.

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/