PDA

View Full Version : Tent Waterproofing

jcheil
03-26-2013, 11:22
What is the recommended product to use, if any, to waterproof a tent and/or the seams, if it is even necessary now-a-days.
And if so, what is the frequency to reapply?

Old Hiker
03-26-2013, 11:55
I used the formula given by LightHeart gear on both my LoLong 6's: 1/2 pure silicon caulking and 1/2 low odor mineral spirits. It's worked so well so far, I've re-coated my other tents as well. You just have to keep stirring and adjust the amounts as needed if it's too thick or thin. I used a 1/2 inch foam brush to spread it on. I also make sure to get UNDER the flaps on seams.

Ask me in 10 years if it's still working! :sun

deadbox
03-26-2013, 12:04
for re-applying waterproofing to your tent it depends on what type of coating it has. As mentioned already on a silicon nylon tent light a lightheart it will need to be treated with silicon. Most commercial tents however are polyurethane coated (PU) and need polyurethane. For a PU coated tent McNett sells TentSure.
For seam sealing, most commercial tents have seam tape and do not require seam sealing until the tape wears out. Also the same principle as above applies to seam sealing. Use a PU based sealer such as seamgrip or seamseal on PU tents and use silicon based sealer on silicon nylon sure as SilNett or a diluted mix of silicone and mineral spirits.

Feral Bill
03-26-2013, 12:27
In my experience, PU coated nylon tents never need re-coating. The fabric gives out due to ultra-violet light exposure first. Or the zippers become hopeless Or my needs change and I get something different. I always get my moneys worth from a decent tent.

HooKooDooKu
03-26-2013, 13:09
In my experience, PU coated nylon tents never need re-coating. The fabric gives out due to ultra-violet light exposure first. Or the zippers become hopeless Or my needs change and I get something different. I always get my moneys worth from a decent tent.

I was thinking the same thing. I've got a Kelty tent I purchased 20 years ago. It hasn't seen much use and been well cared for. Only recently has the coating on the floor started to need some patching, and I finally decided that after 20 years, there are lighter weight alternatives today.