PDA

View Full Version : Words of wisdom

Doctari
06-27-2005, 13:12
Words of wisdom?

So what are your “words of wisdom” to other hikers? Be they new/beginning hikers or old/experienced hoofers. I am thinking of a few simple sentences similar to: “Please don’t eat the yellow snow. It will make you sick!” Or “Don’t spit into the wind, you will get wet.” Even: “get water every chance you can, and drink as much as you can hold before continuing. The goal here is to stay as hydrated as you can. Dehydration makes hiking miserable, painful or even deadly.” Or “carry a small, light weight tarp which can be used for: cooking under, temporary shelter in a storm, extra protection in a storm, extra big vestibule, etc.”

I know it’s tempting, & may even be true, but try to avoid something like: “Hammocks rule, Tent’s drool” instead, try to state briefly WHY the above is true, at least for you.

Remember; short & sweet is what we are after here. Feel free to post even if you think it is a painfully obvious statement like; “Stop and treat hotspots before they become Blisters!” because not necessarily everyone knows this.

Have fun, be creative.

Thanks!

Doctari.

Footslogger
06-27-2005, 13:27
This is something a friend (also a thru hiker) told me prior to my thru in 2003:

" ... When the miles are easy taken em. When the miles get tough push back"

Sounds pretty profound but I found myself mumbling those words on many occasions between Springer and Katahdin.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
06-27-2005, 13:39
The more I carry the more I like camping, the less I carry the more I like hiking.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

If you are in a hurry, why are you walking?

Tent-N-Kent
06-27-2005, 21:35
Any where is within walking distance, if you've got the time...Stephen Wright, comic

Sent to us in a card from a class of 99'er friend...Tent-N-Kent AT 2001

Ridge
06-27-2005, 23:35
Wherever you go, there you are!

mrc237
06-30-2005, 06:47
If You Don't Use It Every Day You Probably Don't Need It!

TakeABreak
06-30-2005, 08:40
Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff.

A bad on the trail, is better than a good at work.

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 09:05
"The best way to carry water is inside of you."

"Dont let anyone live inside your head rent free."

D'Artagnan
06-30-2005, 09:26
"Don't $#!+ where you eat."

Nean
06-30-2005, 10:09
Keep an open mind

Clark Fork
06-30-2005, 10:25
Pain is weakness leaving the body.. US Marine bumper sticker.

No matter how cold it is, it is colder somewhere else..

Clark Fork in Western Montana

TakeABreak
06-30-2005, 11:13
Not matter how bad things seem, they could always be much worse.

It is always darkest before sunrise.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not freight train.

lilmountaingirl
07-05-2005, 20:26
Always pack your sense of humor! Second only to duct tape! :bse

Cookerhiker
07-05-2005, 20:36
"Mental preparation is (at least) as important as physical conditioning"

"You will get wet - accept it"

And the one I have to keep telling myself over and over:

"Respect the Trail"

Lugnut
07-05-2005, 23:23
Timing has a lot to do with the success of a rain dance. :banana

Doctari
07-05-2005, 23:46
Practice with every piece of gear before you hit the trail. Light the stove & cook a meal, set up the shelter (tent, tarp, hammock, etc) several times (even at night), change the batteries in your light while blindfolded, etc.

Seam seal everything with a seam. No matter what the maker says about how well their stuff is made.

I know my pack is waterproof, it stopped raining 2 hours ago & there is still 4 inches of water in the bottom.

Doctari.

fiddlehead
07-06-2005, 03:03
Keep an open mindDitto on that one Nean!

How about: "Get used to ALWAYS putting things back in your pack where they belong, that way you can find them even in the dark. "

(of course i guess if you kept an open mind, you would always put things in a different place like my Sherpa used to in Nepal) (nothing wrong with that either but the 1st way might save you more time and trouble.)

ATSeamstress
07-06-2005, 07:01
Never quit on a bad day.

For section hikers: You complain all the way up the mountain, but on the way home you start planning your next trip.

Stoker53
07-06-2005, 12:54
Early to bed and early to rise = more time avail for walking.

Doctari
07-06-2005, 13:17
To determine how much daylight you have left: PM, locate the sun, preferably near the horizon, hold your arm out full length, put you hand in such a way as your fingers are paralell to the horizon, the thickness of each finger is aproxamatly 15 minutes. This works for me, with less than a 1 to 2 minute error per finger. In the mountains, this "guide" works for where you are at NOW, as you move the time may change as you climb & descend, but you will have a rough guide.

Doctari.

TDale
07-06-2005, 14:06
It's always darkest right before it goes pitch black.

Walk quietly, stop often, look around, breathe.

Tin Man
07-06-2005, 15:57
For section hikers: You complain all the way up the mountain, but on the way home you start planning your next trip.

Yup. In fact, the countdown starts 180 days before the trip and we get real serious at this time of year with less than 90. Maps come out, we debate how many miles we can do in a day, start talking menus, and how much Scotch will be needed.

A tradition I started with my brother on our first section and follow each year at the start of our 50 miles:

Walk 10 paces from the car, stop, hold hand to right ear, "Do you hear that? [pause] No whining women!" Walk 10 more paces, stop, hold hand to left ear, "Do you hear that? [pause] No whining kids!"

Personally, I like Sgt. Rock's "No sniveling." Sort of captures it all.

Pagan
07-12-2005, 05:51
Always pack your sense of humor! Second only to duct tape! :bse
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matter compared to what lies within us.":jump
Wow, lilmtngirl, two very good comments. Really hit my soul. Thanx. Alot of other good ones also, but I was stopped in my tracks by this post.
Walks
<!-- / sig -->

SGT Rock
07-18-2005, 11:23
Hey Doctari, I just noticed this thread is in the article forum. Was it your intent to put it here to create an article or was that an accident?

Hike Meister
07-18-2005, 21:02
Better in you than on you

(drink plenty of water...)

littledragon
07-18-2005, 21:42
Hiker's Prayer

Lord, if you pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.

Nean
07-18-2005, 23:03
Hope for the best, Plan for the worst, Take what you get

Doctari
07-19-2005, 03:44
Hey Doctari, I just noticed this thread is in the article forum. Was it your intent to put it here to create an article or was that an accident?

Twas on purpous :D

My hope is to gather these nuggets together into one page for postarity. Sort of as a primer / refresher / guide.

I'm even thinking of going thru the other posts & compiling some of the hints on: cooking, hammocking, etc.

Guess I should have posted this intent with the first message shouldn't I.

Another hint, & a comment: Getting old SUCKS! :datz

Doctari.

walkin' wally
07-19-2005, 09:24
I'd rather be lost in the woods than found at home. :sun

Skyline
07-19-2005, 09:58
Climbing Katahdin is like The Final Exam. For about a mile of it, the toughest climb on the whole AT. The one that determines if you "graduate." The one that you're never gonna forget.

Stale Cracker
07-19-2005, 13:30
Few items weigh less or are as useful as a good old fashioned cotton bandana

Compede blister dressings with atheletic tape to hold them on

Learn the rest step and use it

DLANOIE
07-21-2005, 20:27
Leave no Trace.

Mags
07-21-2005, 20:45
I have maintained a 2x weekly e-mail list for an informal outdoor group here in Boulder since Feb 2003.

Since taking over the list, have put a outdoor related type quote on every e-mail.

I just uploaded the list if anyone is curious. The quotes come from my reading, or cribbed from other sources (other quote files for example) or take from other hikes. Sometimes I would google for an appropriate quote (e.g. a Valentine's day quote) Some I stole from people on White Blaze. :)

Have all the quotes picked out until Aug 30 2005 (HEy..I get bored at work sometimes. :D), and some extra ones thrown in for later.

Most of the quotes are ones I picked. Some are from people who did the e-mail list when I was away temporarily (when I did the Colorado Trail, for example).

Anyway, enjoy.

Any flames..direct them to me. :)

http://magnanti.com/miscwritings/chaosemailquotes.txt

SGT Rock
07-21-2005, 20:58
Those are great Mags. I love some of them because they describe some many aspects of how I like to hike, like this one:

We wanted to make good time, with the emphasis on good and not time.
-Pirsig, ZEN AND THE ART OF MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE
That link is a winner Mags! Thanks.

Mags
07-22-2005, 14:17
Those are great Mags. I love some of them because they describe some many aspects of how I like to hike, like this one:

That link is a winner Mags! Thanks.

Glad you enjoyed them. After two plus years of doing the e-mail list, have accumulated a not-too-shabby quote list, if i do say so. :)

Halfpint
08-08-2005, 20:32
I learned this the very hard way. "Don't allow another person to control your destination, stand up for yourself and be in control" "The one who blames is the one that is of blame".

Doctari
08-10-2005, 16:16
Keep a journal: Days, weeks, months after your hike, you may find that those “Forever memories” are firmly etched in, , , vapor. Take pictures for the same reason.

This has already been stated, but bears repeting: Better in you than on you (drink plenty of water...)

Learn basic first aid skills (from the Red Cross?) before your hike.

Try to eat lunch as a walking feast instead of as a one stop (traditional) meal. Small snacks each time you take a break, and as you walk provide a more constant source of energy.

You can take a zero miles day in the woods much cheeper, & perhaps less stressful, than in town. Can't spend money in the woods. :bse

Doctari.

gumby
09-04-2005, 19:50
I haven't yet hike all the AT, am planning though. Here are some quotes that I've learned along the way.

"Pain is your friend, it let's you know you are still alive"

"Carry in, carry out"

"Look ahead to where you are going, not back from where you came."

eyewall
09-04-2005, 20:05
"Some people are weatherwise but most are otherwise.” - Benjamin Franklin

Ratbert
09-05-2005, 09:17
Don't try to make your hike a competition.

There will always be someone with a lighter pack; and someone with a heavier pack.
There will always be someone who hikes faster than you; and someone who hikes slower than you.
There will always be someone who is more experienced and knows more than you do (hard for some to accept this); and someone who is less experienced and knows less than you do (hard for some beginners to believe this as well, but it's true!).

Most of all, enjoy yourself! This is supposed to be fun!

Two Speed
09-06-2005, 19:40
The trail dictates, you don't.

Never camp on the windy side of the ridge in cold weather. :datz

Doctari
12-10-2005, 23:13
To go just a bit lighter, I know I almost never think of this but: after making ALL of your purchases in town, either leave your coins in the penny jar of your last stop, or buy a candy bar. Coins can add up WT wise, and you need that candy bar anyway.

A trail guide is just that, a GUIDE. A plan if you will, to be followed or not. As stated above, let the trail dictate to you. If you plan a 20 mile day but due to terrain or weather or feeling bad or all of the above, you can only do 7 miles: THATS OK!

GOOD ear plugs can make for a better nights sleep in: shelters, Hostels, motels, etc.

All, and I do mean ALL! Shelters, campsites, Hostels, Motels, Hotels, Resturants, Stores, etc. Will have someone say something bad about them. Listen to them or not, I chose to not listen, and have had many a good experience at places I was warned against stopping at.

Doctari.

TooTall
12-11-2005, 19:13
No Rain, No Pain, No Maine

Too Tall Paul

MoBeach42
12-12-2005, 00:24
Rule #1 Don't get killed. I've almost violated this rule at least 4 times. This hike is very difficult at times and NOT a walk in the park as many of you may think.

Rule #2 Never trust another hiker's opinion or interpretation of distance ("It can't be more than 20 minutes from here"), difficulty ("you can easily do two 25 mile days out of Kincora.") or map reading in general ("looks like all down hill today.").

Rule #3 You are going to do it anyway. Regardless of the terrain or degree of difficulty, you are still going to hike.

I love Chino's advice. He had several more rules, but he could never remember any more of them, and I haven't been able to track down the others in his trail journal.

Doctari
02-15-2006, 23:36
Hopefully by 03/01/06 I will have combined Trail tricks & words of wisdom (& a few other hints from other forums) into one bag of tricks type article. So, if you have a burning hint or trail trick to post please do so.

After March we can still add those great tips of course, but why wait?

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. I for one have learned much.

Doctari.

"ME & U"
02-16-2006, 10:44
Before you kimchee squat... privy stomp!

Teach your honey how 'not to drop the tp in the hole'

Leave the door open for a better view.

Lastly, try to remember which way is west when your facing north:datz

Smile
02-16-2006, 11:05
Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.

A hiker who cooks beans and peas in the same pot is very unsanitary.

A Wise Man can see more from the bottom of a well than a Fool can see from the top of a mountain.

You never test the depth of a river with both feet

Hear and you forget; see and you remember; do and you understand

It takes both sunshine and rain to make a rainbow.

Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.

There are no short cuts to any place worth going.

A peacock who sits on his tail is just another turkey.

He who never made a mistake never made a discovery.

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

If you are willing to admit faults, you have one less fault to admit.

You cannot get to the top by sitting on your bottom.

Fat Man Walking
02-17-2006, 00:22
For me, the most important step I take when I am hiking is not the one that puts me on top of the mountain but the very next one I take. Because without that one, the trip doesn't start and never ends.

It is what it is.

Nokia
02-17-2006, 11:37
"Remember to follow the white blazes, not pink ones" :D

Brock
02-17-2006, 11:53
You will have bad days on the trail... you also have bad days off the trail. Don't let a bad day(s) stop your hike.

Topo maps are nice, but what does it matter... you follow the white blazes and go where they lead you... is it necessary to know just how high that next mountain is?

Can't believe this one isn't on here yet... one of the most talked about pieces of advice ever...
Hike your own hike.

Make your home where you are.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2006, 15:27
Don't order "sweet tea" in a cafe or restaurant North of Maryland, or you're sure to be disappointed.

Getting good iced tea after you're out of the South is like finding good Bar-B-Q in Connecticut.

Ridge
02-17-2006, 15:41
Grits, yes GRITS are hard to find once you head NOBO out of Virginia. So, make sure you have them in your shipments.

the goat
02-17-2006, 16:15
never put gold bond triple-strength foot powder on your chafed areas.

Alligator
02-17-2006, 16:36
Don't order "sweet tea" in a cafe or restaurant North of Maryland, or you're sure to be disappointed.

Getting good iced tea after you're out of the South is like finding good Bar-B-Q in Connecticut.
And don't expect regular tea when you order tea south of Maryland, even it's breakfast time.

MOWGLI
02-17-2006, 17:46

There's good iced tea in the south? Gee, you learn something new every day.

The difference between BBQ in the south and the north is that its a verb in the north, and a noun in the south.

the goat
02-17-2006, 18:16

for northern BBQ, you can't beat the spring creek cook house in monson.....it's better than a lot of what i've had down here!

Smile
02-17-2006, 18:28
never put gold bond triple-strength foot powder on your chafed areas.

Especially the GREEN bottle of Gold Bond - menthol!

JojoSmiley
02-17-2006, 20:26
Just a couple I have used along the way:
The journey is the destination.
Savor the Moments!
Be good to your feet and they will be good to you.

Doctari
02-19-2006, 11:25
Close the lid to your fuel bottle, or make sure that all connections are leak free BEFORE you light your stove! I always move my fuel bottle 3 or 4 feet away, just in case!

Note: Do NOT over tighten connections, you could strip them out, then your problems will be seriously increased.

I paint my: tent stakes, knife, etc. Dayglow orange. It makes them easier to find when I drop them, which I seem to do all too often.

Copied from JasonKlass' post on another forum:
Here's an idea for adding an ultralight D-Ring to the shoulder straps or anywhere else you want it on your pack. No special tools required: only scissors.
http://www.freewebs.com/jasonklass/a...lightdring.htm
Jasonklass

carolinahiker
02-19-2006, 13:05
As my Platoon sgt in korea used to say just keep walkin thats what the infantry does youll know when we get there cause ill tell you , in my words just walk at your pace and your time schedule youll know when youve got there or had enough your body will tell you. Also DUCT DUCT and dental floss.

Grandma Dixie
02-22-2006, 14:48
As my Platoon sgt in korea used to say just keep walkin thats what the infantry does youll know when we get there cause ill tell you , in my words just walk at your pace and your time schedule youll know when youve got there or had enough your body will tell you. Also DUCT DUCT and dental floss.
Punctuation? That post is almost unreadable. I know people hate it when they are flamed for stupid stuff, but if you arent going to take the time to post something intelligent (or at least readable), post nothing at all.

Rain Man
02-22-2006, 15:27
And don't expect regular tea when you order tea south of Maryland, even it's breakfast time.

I ordered sweet tea this weekend on a trip to Colorado Springs and the waiter there said "All we have is regular tea."

I told him sweet tea was regular tea! LOL

Rain:sunMan

P.S. He brought me unsweet (irregular) tea and extra sugar packets! Smart waiter.

Hana_Hanger
03-03-2006, 17:07
For Hammocks: A Drip Line For Rain

Tie a shoe string or any cord/string to the support ropes to keep the water from running down into your hammock and sleeping bag.

Skidsteer
03-03-2006, 21:59
For Hammocks: A Drip Line For Rain

Tie a shoe string or any cord/string to the support ropes to keep the water from running down into your hammock and sleeping bag.

:) Same theory as the fringe on a frontiersman's tunic. It should work! Great idea.

Rainman
03-03-2006, 22:15
Walk quietly, stop often, look around, breathe.

This is great. I have always felt it, but have never said it so well. Thanks.

Doctari
03-09-2006, 14:24
Well, after being NINE days late. The Great trail tricks / words of wisdom article is done.

I have sent it to ATTROLL for posting.

Feel free to send more stuff, these tid bits have been great. As Moxie said: its stuff you never see in any book.

Thanks to all!

Doctari.

adrifft
03-09-2006, 14:58
When climbing steep grades - -
If you are winded, you are moving too fast. Steady as you go. Especially in the Whites.

Doctari
03-12-2006, 20:21
IT’S DONE!

The merging of Words of Wisdom & Great trail tricks is up as an article! Go to http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww to find some tips for hiking our beloved AT.

The article is divided into sections for ease of navigation. I will admit, some tips may have been misfiled, and I am sorry for that. Many that fit several categories are simply filed under the first category of “General”.

Huge thanks to all who posted. If I missed some, I am sorry! You all gave me over 24 pages of GREAT tips and it was a bit overwhelming keeping track of who & what I posted. I think I posted them all, but , , , , ,

Doctari.

BTW: feel free to keep posting. We all can still learn from each other!

white rabbit
03-13-2006, 18:29
Any journey starts with the first step and ends where it ends. The stuff in the middle is what we live for.

Skidsteer
03-13-2006, 19:05
IT’S DONE!

The merging of Words of Wisdom & Great trail tricks is up as an article! Go to http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=gttww to find some tips for hiking our beloved AT.

The article is divided into sections for ease of navigation. I will admit, some tips may have been misfiled, and I am sorry for that. Many that fit several categories are simply filed under the first category of “General”.

Huge thanks to all who posted. If I missed some, I am sorry! You all gave me over 24 pages of GREAT tips and it was a bit overwhelming keeping track of who & what I posted. I think I posted them all, but , , , , ,

BTW: feel free to keep posting. We all can still learn from each other!
Doctari

Very cool. This has the smell of a possible book deal. Or perhaps a pamphlet at this point:D . Could be a fundraiser that woud pay WB expenses for years to come. Thanks for your work, Doctari!

Doctari
04-02-2006, 15:13
This is just to refresh: great trail tricks & words of wisdom posts.

I know we can't be out of great ideas to share!

Lets hear them K.

Doctari

minnesotasmith
04-03-2006, 15:08
"Go light = go freeze."
"White flour is not part of any food group."
"Ultralighters don't have room for tobacco, booze, or beards."

HIKER7s
04-13-2006, 13:32
For any serious Long Distance Hiker (So you want to do the AT, huh), If your serious in your attempt, try not to get caught up in fellow hikers goals (or anti-goals). REMEMBER- HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE.

Uncle Silly
04-13-2006, 16:58
"Ultralighters don't have room for tobacco, booze, or beards."

That settles it. I'll never go UL.

I also won't be sharing my stash.... :D

Geo.
04-20-2006, 02:58
Here you go... important tips that I've found useful, don't venture into the wild without them .... :)

1. When smoking a fish, one should never inhale.

2. Lint from your navel makes a handy firestarter.

3. Becoming disorientated or lost during a hike, can cause natural feelings of panic. Sit down, quietly assess your situation, then try running around in circles, screaming.

4. In an emergency, the drawstring from a parka hood can be used to strangle a snoring tent mate.

5. To start a fire without matches, try eating jalapinos, then breathing on a pile of dry sticks.

6. If you are bald, and lost in the mountains, try using your head as a heliograph to signal S.O.S. and attract the attention of searchers.

7. Bear bells will provide hikers with some degree of safety against grizzly bears. The tricky part is getting them on the bears.

8. If lost, a compass needle can be created, by stroking the fur of a nearby marmot in one direction, and then laying him on an ice-covered lake, or floating him on a small raft. The marmot will spin to a north/south direction.

9. Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

10. Whilst the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife, with it’s single blade that can function as a tiny raft paddle, has remained largely unheralded.

11. Fabrics that can breathe, will enable hikers to stay dry in a downpour. Avoid fabrics that snore, cough, and belch.

12. A warm pair of campsite slippers can be made, by inserting each foot into a marmot.

13. If your campfire inadvertantly starts a forest fire, immediately evacuate the area, and then blame it on static electricity from marmots.

14. In emergency situations, you can easily survive in the wilderness by shooting small game with a slingshot made from the elastic waistband of your underwear.

15. The best backpacks are named after national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of packs named after city dumps or maritime disasters.

16. If lost in sub zero temperatures, create a down-filled sleeping bag, by climbing into a plastic garbage bag with several geese.

17. If water quality is suspect, and you don't have the means to boil it, try filtering it through a used hiking sock. It won't filter out the Giardia Lamblia, but it will make them feel ill.

18. When hiking on popular trails, <I>never ever</I> eat the yellow snow.

19. Forked lightning can be made much more exciting, by viewing it from the top of a nearby pine.

Hope those are of some help. :rolleyes:

George

AlanGreene3
05-29-2006, 10:52
'Whatever you do, take care of your shoes.'

-Phish

ANHINGA
06-01-2006, 11:39
Alternate Feet When Walking

Slojourner
08-09-2006, 21:00
1st post for me on WB. My hiking buddy & I are getting up in years, kinda forgetful at times. Whenever we start hiking again, whether it be at the trailhead, after breaks, or each morning, after we've shouldered our packs, we have a ritual of making sure all the compartments are closed, and zippers are zipped, on the other's pack.

Skidsteer
08-09-2006, 21:26
1st post for me on WB. My hiking buddy & I are getting up in years, kinda forgetful at times. Whenever we start hiking again, whether it be at the trailhead, after breaks, or each morning, after we've shouldered our packs, we have a ritual of making sure all the compartments are closed, and zippers are zipped, on the other's pack.

:welcome Slojourner! Your fly's unzipped.

Made ya look!:D

Slojourner
08-10-2006, 08:05
Yeah, we've gotten strange looks before from folks, with whom we've shared shelters, the next morning when one of us says, "C' m'ere and let me check your zippers." You can almost hear the banjo in the background . . . .

mrc237
08-10-2006, 08:28
"Gettin' old ain't for sissies"-------Bette Davis

Time To Fly 97
08-10-2006, 10:15
Attitude is a decision: if you look for goodness and beauty, you will always find it.

Take more pictures of people

Lean forward going downhill...this give you more traction than just your heels.

Happy hiking!

TTF

TOW
08-10-2006, 10:19
"You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little
thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the
privilege of doing it." - Albert Schweitzer

Footslogger
08-10-2006, 10:21
Be aware of how you treat people on your way up ...

You'll most likely meet them again on your way down ...

'Slogger

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 20:40
be sure to know your inner self before you gaze apon the white blaze.

beware the blue blaze, he is a devil in discize.

carolinahiker
08-13-2006, 11:35
Never say ill pack that before i go cause youll forget like i did this past weekend when i said hmm my gortex rain suit is in the hall closet ill pack it wheni carry my pack up in the am, I sure missed it when i was gettin rained on near fontana damn grrrrr. lol

carolinahiker
08-13-2006, 11:39
I love folks who look down there nose at me and say id never carry that lol well after 20 years as a paratrooper {infantry} and 14 years hikng i kinda know what i need. But i do love the good advice here. ESPEACIALLY NO SNIVELLING

Tipi Walter
08-13-2006, 22:30
The only Gear you have to Fear is Gear itself.

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 22:41
I love folks who look down there nose at me and say id never carry that lol well after 20 years as a paratrooper {infantry} and 14 years hikng i kinda know what i need. But i do love the good advice here. ESPEACIALLY NO SNIVELLING

Well, the fact that you are still wearing Goretex gives you away as a total loser with no outdoors sense whatsoever. Give up hiking and turn in your boots immediately. :D

atraildreamer
08-20-2006, 02:24
Never eat anything bigger than your head.

Never shoot pool at a place called Pap's.

Never eat food at a place called Mom's.

When will you be back?
In the fullness of time - expect me when you see me.

SGT Rock
08-20-2006, 03:00

No Sniveling about covers most things. Can't beat the simplicity, and it is nice to remember when I start bitching about trail conditions or something I can't really control.

How about these good ones:

"That dog don't hunt."

and

"Don't tear down a fence until you know why someone put it up."

Anyway, you know, after many years of being a cav scout and a hiker, the best advice about packing came from some of those younger fellers out there like Hungry Howie and Sweeper. Old dogs can learn things occasionally ;)

Huah!

Amigi'sLastStand
08-21-2006, 15:40
My mottos:
Dilligaf. Covers all of it for me, usually;)
and
My line is a mile from me, but as thin as a razor.

Outlaw
08-21-2006, 16:23
I'm not an ultraliter... yet. Each day as I get a little older and little weaker, I'm hopefully getting a little wiser (mostly from info I glean from WB members):-? . I adopted (alright stole:eek: ) my line from the ADK trail guide to the Northville-Placid trail. I think it speaks volumes.

Brrrb Oregon
08-26-2006, 02:25
What would have been is what was.

Any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Anger and self-pity weigh more than a pack can hold, but a good laugh will lighten any load.

Brrrb Oregon
08-26-2006, 02:27
Oh, and one more: If you never find yourself wanting something that you decided not to pack, you probably pack too much.

spittinpigeon
09-04-2006, 21:52
You don't really know a town until you get drunk there.
~Beater~

sirbingo
09-06-2006, 10:31
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=394 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
The things we touch have no permanence.
There is nothing we can hold onto in this world.

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Only by letting go can we truly
possess what is real.

:-?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mweinstone
09-14-2006, 18:07
shut up.......

white rabbit
09-14-2006, 18:38
See lyrics from Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen, by Mary Schmich

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Studio/6533/Sunscreen.html

Sums things up well.

Old Hillwalker
09-14-2006, 20:53
With proper diet, rest, and exercise a healthy body will last a lifetime

The Weasel
02-05-2007, 18:11
"Buddha is in every backpack."

"MUDS are part of the Path to Enlightenment."

The Weasel

Tumblerisk
03-07-2007, 13:31
I'm new, but have quickly discovered that the best way to find a root, rock or low branch followed by an up close and personal view of the trail is to gaze at the pretty vista at your 3 o'clock while walking. Stop walking if you're going to take in a view or scan for wildlife.

Blister
03-07-2007, 13:50
"It takes more head than heel"

Madmax
03-15-2007, 20:17
"The idea is that we do not want anything too big. We want enough, just enough. Less does not indicate poverty but the power of personal restraint, a very satisfying concept and practice"

I found this text somewhere, don't recall where, maybe at "Dancinglight"

SunnyWalker
02-02-2008, 00:36
The journey of the AT (2000+ miles) begins with one step.

Montego
02-02-2008, 01:12
Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

Every cloud may have a silver lining, but you still need your rain gear.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

warraghiyagey
02-02-2008, 01:30
Never swallow anything bigger than your head.

And equally as imprtant . . . never pet a burning dog.

envirodiver
02-07-2008, 12:45
Don't sweat the petty things
And don't pet the sweaty things

If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava
Let them go
Cause man they're gone

leeki pole
02-07-2008, 13:22
Don't share your bag of Gorp with anybody. You don't know where their hands have been (words from my mother).

cowboy nichols
02-07-2008, 15:04
smell the flowers &than "Rock On"

strage
03-14-2008, 22:38
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.

there is no such thing as dry, there is no such thing as warm; this is my home.

when in doubt, the sky is up.

ZEKE #2
03-15-2008, 11:06
Learn the rest step and use it

Yes! Hiking became even more enjoyable after I learned this.

Tinker
03-15-2008, 13:45
Lighten your load:

Mentally (don't climb the mountain before you get to it).

Spiritually (forgive - grudges are a heavy burden to bear).

Physically (carry just what you need, make every item count).

Be yourself, let others do the same.

Feral Bill
03-15-2008, 15:24
Cleanliness is next to impossible.

Dkeener
04-10-2008, 10:01
Here are a couple of my favorites.

1. No matter how hard you try you can't pitch your tent to look as good as the picture on the box.

2. The trail is never level. Uphills always outnumber downhills.

3. In spite of your best efforts at weight reduction, your pack will always be heavy.

4. Don't hike with a grumpy partner.

5. Never pass up an oportunity to stop and enjoy the scenery.

Hike healthy

downhillD
07-27-2011, 06:01
leaves that are shiny are not for the hiney;)

SassyWindsor
07-27-2011, 09:45
Beware the "Words of Wisdom" from others.

rsmout
07-28-2011, 18:43
"You ain't gonna get no nouveau, amandine, thin crust, bottled water, sauteed city food."

Lone Wolf
07-28-2011, 19:58
it's just walkin'

couscous
07-28-2011, 20:57
Backpacking light, feels so right.

DLANOIE
07-28-2011, 22:05
carry in, carry out!

Sir-Packs-Alot
07-28-2011, 23:23
My best advice to thru-hikers is this: "Never decide to quit the trail when your body aches, you are in the middle of a tough climb, or the weather is crappy (a bad day). Table those emotions for a beautiful day when you're feeling good and the view is amazing. If you still want to get off the trail when it's like the latter - go ahead and go home. The trail has it's good and bad moments and you are less likely to make a decision that you will really regret a bit later"

FLYFEET
11-11-2011, 11:07
run when you can and crawl when you have to.

people will come and people will go

its not the mile - its the mind

Abner
11-12-2011, 00:29
There is a certain ammount of pain associated with backpacking. Don't be surprised when you realize that you are hurting, especially the first three days or so of any trip. You are just going to experience pain sometime during the first three days of a strenuous backpacking trip. So don't be surprised and be ready to walk through it---not recklessly, but simply acknowleging it's there makes it easier to contend with.

"Listen to your body. Know when to back off, slow down, take it easy."

In my book, the ammount of food and the quality of the food are vitally important to a successful hike.

"I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

"The bear went over the mountain, the bear went over the mountain, the bear went over the mountain...to see off the other side."

"Going up is easier than coming down."

"Get your breathing in some kind of synch with your paces, especially ascending mountains."

"Boil your dishes, or douse them in boiling water before or after each meal. Then you don't have to worry."

"Much pain is born of loneliness and fatigue."

Lando11
11-12-2011, 01:10
"if your not drunk by noon on a zero, your f&*^ing up!"

rocketsocks
11-12-2011, 10:02
You can pull spagetti across the shelter floor,but you can't push it. One man's ceiling,is another man's floor.

Nick&Bruce
11-13-2011, 05:52
Nothing worth doing is easy.

Stats 2012
11-13-2011, 07:39
“Walk cheerfully over the world, answering that of God in everyone.”- George Fox, founder of the Quakers

sailsET
02-24-2012, 19:54
Wherever you go, there you are!

This is very true. Be present in the moment. Enjoy whatever you can find to appreciate, exactly where you are. All we have is now.

sailsET
02-24-2012, 19:58
For me, the most important step I take when I am hiking is not the one that puts me on top of the mountain but the very next one I take. Because without that one, the trip doesn't start and never ends.

True for life, the universe, hiking and everything.

sheepdog
02-24-2012, 22:52
"take care of your feet and don't do something stupid that will get you killed." Lt Dan

Tenderheart
02-25-2012, 11:10
Don't let electronics and gadgets ruin your hike.

Derek81pci
02-26-2012, 13:30
Yes, bears do sh** in the woods, they don't have a choice. You do, DIG A CATHOLE.

Sarcasm the elf
02-26-2012, 13:36
Best way to purify your water is to wash your hands.

Or

Hands out of the GORP bag!

Bearpaw
02-26-2012, 16:04
"The best gear is the gear that gets you out there.". Stop obsessing over the perfect gear load. Go hike. The more you hike, the more fit you get, until that slightly heavier-than-you-wanted pack is no sweat.

"Get offline and on trail.". 90% of the hot button issues here don't really matter out there.

rocketsocks
02-26-2012, 18:32
Make new friends,but keep the old.One is silver the other gold.

BFI
02-26-2012, 20:50
Punctuation? That post is almost unreadable. I know people hate it when they are flamed for stupid stuff, but if you arent going to take the time to post something intelligent (or at least readable), post nothing at all.

I didnt know that this site had a punctuation police force that was censoring all post so ill be sure to punctuate where it is necessary and if i dont please insert these where you think they should go ? ' " , . ! ( ) ; : thanks :banana

Lone Wolf
02-26-2012, 20:57
Don't let electronics and gadgets ruin your hike.

...and itineraries, schedules, deadlines, lack of funds, etc.

BFI
02-26-2012, 21:08
Never play cards with a man called Doc

A Smith & Wesson beats four aces

Never Never go to bed with a person who has more problems than You.

When the paper work of a new airplane equals the weight of the actual air craft, the plane will then fly

Never force it just use a bigger hammer and if it breaks it need replacing anyway

Just as they are finished digging your grave, Slide in sideways with smoke in your hair, your shoes on fire, totally spent and yell "Holy Crap What A Ride" !!

xcess
03-15-2012, 23:37
Dont poke the bear...

Derek81pci
03-16-2012, 17:42
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

sailsET
03-17-2012, 07:14
If you drop your keys in a river of molten lava
Let them go
Cause man they're gone

Wise advice on letting go of stuff. Food for thought...

sailsET
03-17-2012, 07:32
What would have been is what was.

Five years later, this is still true. Words of wisdom age like a fine wine.

BrianLe
03-18-2012, 18:42
Okay, here are a couple of my own invention:

"The highest wisdom in backpacking is knowing when to listen to your body, and when to tell it to shut the hell up".

"I'd rather have a scar than a tattoo"

The first of those is, IMO, a key part of being successful at all sorts of outdoor/physical/athletic endeavors. The second is just personal preference ... :-)

sheepdog
03-18-2012, 18:51
"Take care of your feet and don't do something stupid that will get you killed." Lt. Dan

rocketsocks
03-18-2012, 19:07
"Pack Out",what you bring in.

sheepdog
03-18-2012, 19:45
I spent most of my money on hiking, women, and beer. I pretty much wasted the rest.

Sarcasm the elf
03-18-2012, 19:52
"Filthy, stinking, rich...two out of three ain't bad."

I just wish I could remember who to attribute this quote to.

bamboo bob
03-18-2012, 19:54
There is no one way that is best for hiking the AT. Be flexible and don't insist that others do things your way. HYOH and leave people to make their own mistakes.

rocketsocks
03-18-2012, 20:03
"Take care of your feet and don't do something stupid that will get you killed." Lt. DanJesus h christ Gump your a mad dog genius.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
10-02-2015, 00:08
Not a thru-hiker yet, but I used this little moto/my cross of it from mayor's book.

When you feel the pain of going up hill, just accept it. Embrace the pain, and just tell yourself to go with the fl.ow.

I used this going up old rag in the middle of the night to see the sunrise. I felt pain, and it reminded me of how much I hated hills. Once I hit a point when I just told myself to accept it, I actually muscled through it. The hike wasn't a race, but out of 20 or so people hiking, I came to the summit as the fourth fastest.

Also: Listen to the world around you. Hear the water, the wind, the crickets, and notice the flowers. You did this hike to get away from the world, why let it slip past you now that your here?

Lnj
10-02-2015, 11:34
Slowly...breathe in and breathe out, close your eyes and inhale the scents around you, listen.... then thank God you are blessed with the permission to do so. Now walk and see it all like you will never see it again as long as you live and you want to remember it forever. Feast on your surroundings. Love the free gifts we've been given. And laugh out loud every chance you get.

Diamondlil
11-13-2015, 11:19
"Pain is your friend, it let's you know you are still alive."

I live tho daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleRock
11-16-2015, 12:12
Advice from a thru-hiker on how to complete a thru-hike: "Don't stop walking."

Mountain Dog
01-12-2016, 20:45
Nothing very very good or verry verry bad lasts very very long.

msupple
01-13-2016, 00:25
The more I carry the more I like camping, the less I carry the more I like hiking.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

If you are in a hurry, why are you walking?

That reminds me of what a guide in Peru told while hiking at altitude...."The slower you hike the faster you'll get there. " :)

Pedaling Fool
01-19-2016, 10:28
“If your doctor says you can’t do it, then find a different doctor.”

...That is the advice Ana Fernandez, an avid marathon runner, has for those who suffer from diabetes.Fernandez, 49, was diagnosed in 2003 with Type 1 diabetes. Only 5 percent of people with diabetes have Type 1, instead of Type 2. In Type 1, the immune system destroys pancreatic cells that produce insulin.

While that diagnosis would be a blow to most, Fernandez viewed it as a way to make strides toward a healthier lifestyle.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/health-fitness/article55381190.html#storylink=cpy

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/health-fitness/article55381190.html#storylink=cpy

nsherry61
01-19-2016, 12:14
The grass really is greener on the other side of the fence . . . because it's wet and muddy.

hikerhobs
01-19-2016, 22:22
"Make good or make room"

dedwarmo
01-31-2016, 11:28
Nice! And you hydration bladder will eventually spring a leak.

RockDoc
02-14-2016, 20:16
Do the things you want to do sooner because later may be too late

NoSew
02-15-2016, 11:00
Never quit on a down day

NY HIKER 50
02-15-2016, 20:39
How about this one? Don't eat pink snow either. Yea, it's a real thing. Don't sleep in wet clothing. Sleep naked if you have to. That way the cloths air out but the bag needs to be washed more.

Gonecampn
02-15-2016, 22:08
Never get lost, just change where you are going!

Han Sobo
03-14-2016, 21:41
I like this one: "A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." -Unknown - Haddon Spurgeon, Samuel Clemens, Jonathan Swift.

For helpful: When asking another person for directions ask three. If you get different answers all three times then ask four. - A hitch hiker

dudeijuststarted
03-25-2016, 12:09
1.) The lord loves a workin' man
2.) Don't trust whitey
3.) See a doctor and get rid of it

Sarcasm the elf
03-25-2016, 12:23
1.) The lord loves a workin' man
2.) Don't trust whitey
3.) See a doctor and get rid of it

Last time I was at blood mountain there was a giant (and very male) rat in the rafters. The hikers in the shelter collectively named him whitey, though I don't think the name was due to trust issues. :D

Smoky Spoon
03-26-2016, 18:53
Remember, the most important thing you need to do is to throw on your pack and just keep walking......forget everything else and stick to that...

Told to me by my old Army friend...Josie

Bronk
03-27-2016, 12:38
When washing your sleeping bag at the laundromat, put it in a plastic trash bag. You will keep it from getting wet and save money by not having to put it in the dryer.

mitch
04-30-2016, 22:02
you cannot deny a man his dignity without diminishing your own.

sbarn
06-18-2016, 15:08
mine too. classic

Sarcasm the elf
06-18-2016, 15:47
"Some things can't be unsmelled."

plexusbritt
06-19-2016, 17:29
Check the expiration date on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Rush-
06-19-2016, 22:34
Inspect all hostels and motels for bed bugs.

Sarcasm the elf
06-19-2016, 22:44
Inspect all hostels and motels for bed bugs.

Darn straight. Look under the mattress and box spring. look at the mattress tags. Look anywhere Wise Old Owl recommends. Put your gear on the luggage stand if possible. To

Most decent hotels I've stayed at in the last five years have had the bedbug covers on the mattresses as well.

Whack-a-mole
03-09-2017, 19:49
Never fry bacon naked.

AfterParty
03-09-2017, 20:34
The early birds gets the worm. But the second mouse gets the cheese.

rocketsocks
03-09-2017, 22:13
Never fry bacon naked....or sausage drunk and naked

msupple
03-09-2017, 23:58
"The slower you walk, the faster you'll get there." (told to me by a Peruvian guide while hiking to Machu Picchu) I've used his advice many times since when climbing the steeps.

TTT
03-10-2017, 06:31
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it

Uphills favor the tall, and downhills the short

Make haste slowly

Don H
03-10-2017, 06:57
When you get to Vermont, turn right.

greensleep
03-10-2017, 09:52
snafu, fubar, bohica

Sarcasm the elf
03-10-2017, 09:56
When you get to Vermont, turn right.

Unless you're going in the other direction. :D

Traveler
03-11-2017, 09:07
Semper ubi sub ubi.

TTT
03-11-2017, 09:28
Whats the difference between a hiker and a homeless person? Gortex.

Nanatuk
03-13-2017, 21:09
Semper ubi sub ubi. A true classic from froshmen latin.

Don H
03-20-2017, 15:30
Unless you're going in the other direction. :D

Yes, assumes a NOBO hike.

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2017, 16:54
Before departing on a hike, make two piles. In pile number one, place all the gear and things you'd like to take with you. In pile number two, place all your money. Then take half the first and double the second.

rocketsocks
03-20-2017, 17:24
Never stir your cook pot with a twig you found conveniently stickin' up outta the ground behind the shelter.

johnnybgood
03-20-2017, 17:51
When you come to a fork , the AT almost always goes up.

Leo L.
04-10-2017, 17:45
Don't eat yellow snow.

hiker37691
11-05-2017, 14:49
Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can.

RangerZ
11-05-2017, 15:36
Pudding id always a good idea.

cs2blue
11-20-2017, 08:02
My own words..... while you never really know where you are headed in this world, you always seem to know where you have been! cs2blue.

gunner76
11-28-2017, 22:29
Never underestimate the power of human stupidy

Why are there more uphills than downhills on the trail

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.”

​“Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get.
― Robert A. Heinlein (https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/205.Robert_A_Heinlein)

TX Aggie
11-28-2017, 22:31
Possibly already been said:

“The best laid plans all go to hell once the first shot is fired.”

tawa
11-29-2017, 16:02
When you come to a fork , the AT almost always goes up.
When you come to a fork in the road take it .

Yogi Berra

Greenlight
11-30-2017, 13:41
All the bacon I've ever fried in my life was naked. I mean, the clothes it was wearing were see-thru, so it was really kinda naked to begi....

Oh wait, you mean that *I* shouldn't be ...

Hahahahahaha that's hilarious.

Never fry bacon naked.

Greenlight
11-30-2017, 13:46
A true classic from froshmen latin.

As is "make haste slowly" which is Festina Lente. One of the first phrases I learned in Wheelock's.

BuckeyeBill
11-30-2017, 15:01
It may have already been said, but Duct Tape can't fix stupid. It also does give someone common sense, street smarts or trail sense. These last two can be learned only by years of getting knocked down, or miles of hiking. Practice with your gear at home, so it becomes second nature to use, setup and take down. What's best for me is just that. It may or probably won't work for you. Opinions are just like a$$holes, everybody has one. If you ask about a certain piece of equipment, I will tell my experience only, if I'm using it. I will not give you advice on something I don't or have never used. I won't tell you that a certain piece of equipment will work better and try to change your mind.

No matter what others have said, trying to thru hike the AT on $1,000 to $2,000 dollars will not work. You can say I won't eat in town, because you will even if it is only Burger King. Having a hot shower once a week will rejuvenate you. Unless you are a extremely experienced hiker, don't try ultra light hiking on your first thru hike. Guys that know themselves and their limitations are better suited for UL hiking. I have seen too many people that had to quit because the UL gear did not work for them. besides being expensive.

Burrhead
11-30-2017, 23:02
On the Appalachian Trail "Dry" clothing does not exist! Less damp than anything else is the best you can do!

Sarcasm the elf
11-30-2017, 23:41
Never feed a dog mountain house unless it's sleeping in someone else's tent.

yooperman
11-30-2017, 23:45
If I had a nickel for every hiking tip I'd have a lot of nickels yooperman

TX Aggie
12-01-2017, 00:49
Words, by any other name they’re just verbos.

Old Hiker
12-01-2017, 08:49
If I had a nickel for every hiking tip I'd have a lot of nickels yooperman

If I had a nickel for every hiking tip from people who walked past me on the Trail, that WORKED for me, I'd have, MAYBE, fiddy cent.

Martzy13
12-01-2017, 10:13
"Hike fast, Break hard"