PDA

View Full Version : MSR Hyperflow isues

Kari Clancy
03-26-2013, 12:57
Hey guys,

I'm just about to start and decided to work with my hyperflow to make sure it was working properly... it's not. It's new, got it for christmas. I guess the directions both in the packet, and on youtube, said to have the valves facing down, toward the inflow part that connects to the hose, when pumping, and have the valves facing up, toward the outflow part, when backflushing. This does not work... in fact, it works in the opposite direction.

I guess my question is, is it safe to use, or do I need to call the company or the store I got it from?

Thanks!

10-K
03-26-2013, 13:03
If you want my honest opinion I think they should have named that pump the "Hypersuck" instead of "Hyperflow". There's an old thread on here titled "Worse piece of gear you ever bought." My response to that thread was the MSR Hyperflow.

They work awesome - as long as the water is crystal clear. After pumping a few quarts with even a minimum amount of sediment the flow rate starts dropping - drastically. I've had 2 of these filters - one I bought an a replacement MSR sent me and they both did this.

Backflushing the thing for an hour wouldn't restore performance even to 25% of original.

Kari Clancy
03-26-2013, 13:10
thanks! i've also had someone tell me to get a secondary filter (the sweetwater silt stopper II) which attaches between the microfilter and the pump. i guess this greatly extends the life of the filter, allows about 15 liters before backflushing is necessary.

i also just watched another video with clearer instructions, which positioned the valves in the same position as mine, which made me feel better... i think perhaps the directions were wrong??

Praha4
03-26-2013, 13:18
ditto what 10-K said.... I had a MSR Hyperflow a couple years ago, only used it on one hike, it clogged up too fast, was a pain, I sold it

if I was you, I'd take back that MSR Hyperflow to where it was bought and exchange it for Aqua Mira, it's all you need on the AT

colorado_rob
03-26-2013, 14:48
As finicky as this filter is, and it is that, it is still my go-to filter for 2-7 day trips in the summertime. You just have to master the art of proper back-flushing it, best practiced thoroughly at home. One clean fresh filter does last 7 days for my wife and myself, just as long as the water is clear. All of our pals get jealous when we have 6 quarts of fresh, fitered water in about 5 minutes. this is the fastest filter I've ever used. I heartily do not recommend this filter for any trek longer then 6-7 days.

TNhiker
03-26-2013, 15:30
As finicky as this filter is, and it is that, it is still my go-to filter for 2-7 day trips in the summertime.

i'll agree with this as well............i've had mine for 3 (?) years, and while it is a pain in the ass to backflush, i've made mine work for the last few years......

i also picked up some replacement filters on ebay for dirt cheap, so even if i use one clean filter a year----i'll have this filter another decade......

i like it because it's nice and light........great for a solo weekend backpacker......i'll never switch to a "drops only" chemical water treatment system.....

jbwood5
10-09-2013, 12:06
I doubt that anybody cares, but for the few that still like this POS filter, they have been selling new on E-Bay for $35 or sometimes higher in a bid auction. If you are the only bidder, you get it for $35 (and there have been a few 1 bid completed listings). Oh... and shipping is free.

Don't know if the seller is associated with Cascade Designs or not, but he seems to have quite a few of these to sell.

Like most, I liked the filter for the first 4-6 days on the trail.... and then it became a real PITA. I got rid of the OEM pre-filter and used one from an old Hiker Pur. That cut the bulk a little but didn't help much. I may try to gut the filter and try to use it as a pump only, and then put a Sawyer in-line filter in the plastic tube.

For me, the Sawyer gravity bag system often works, but I have come across a few water sources that were too small to scoop water up. A pump filter can draw water up through crevices below the rocks where you can drop a tube down into it.