PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to get to GA trailhead April 10th

es365
03-26-2013, 14:55
My friend and I are starting our first thru-hike in two weeks! We are arriving in Atlanta on April 10th and looking to start the approach that day or on April 11th. Is anyone else starting at this time? We are on a tight budget and looking for the cheapest option to get to the approach. If anyone wants to split a shuttle with us or if anyone has any tips about getting to the trail head for little cost, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
-Em

Donde
03-26-2013, 15:07
Hiker Hostel NOBO deal $75 each, get you from Atlanta, bunk for the night, breakfast, fuel, ride to the trail.

Donde
03-26-2013, 15:07
Or you can try to hitch.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2013, 15:27
The fact you already have to skimp on expenses does not bode well for the long term.

Dogwood
03-26-2013, 15:41
Cheapest way to get from Atlanta to Amicalola Falls SP(the approach trail), as in the least amount of money, IF you aren't robbed by some psycho GA robber posing as a helpful ride, is to hitch. :) Actually, I find the folks in GA, especially those associated with the AT, to be great folks.

That $75 Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega is a good deal though. Gets you all those things mentioned by Donde, plus you'll be able to refresh yourself before hitting the trail, which is especially nice if traveling to Atlanta on a early morning long flight, Amtrack or, heaven forbid, Greyhound ordeal, exposes you to the folks at the Hiker Hostel who know their stuff concerning the AT and what it takes to complete an AT thru-hike(I got lots of solid advice from them on my AT thru-hike), potentially builds AT hiker comradery PRE HIKE, and solves logistical issues. The Hiker Hostel also excepts and holds packages providing the option of not having to travel to Atlanta with SO MUCH STUFF. Besides, the pre hike B-fast chow, although simple,was pretty damn good, IMHO.

Dogwood
03-26-2013, 15:44
The fact you already have to skimp on expenses does not bode well for the long term.

LOL. Writing on the wall. You may have astute powers of observation Slo-go'en.

pbr
03-26-2013, 15:58
How are you getting to Atlanta? That could helpto get you to the trailhead. Do you have any friends at all in that area?

es365
03-26-2013, 16:07
How are you getting to Atlanta? That could helpto get you to the trailhead. Do you have any friends at all in that area?

We are flying into the Atlanta Airport in the middle of the afternoon. We don't know anyone in the area, unfortunately - we will probably use the shuttle and stay at the Dahlonega hiker hostel if we can't find another place to stay.

colorado_rob
03-26-2013, 16:18
The fact you already have to skimp on expenses does not bode well for the long term. funny, I look at this the exact opposite way: being smart and saving money now, means more later when you really need it and cannot skimp.

Slo-go'en
03-26-2013, 18:20
funny, I look at this the exact opposite way: being smart and saving money now, means more later when you really need it and cannot skimp.

LOL, can't argue with that logic...

chiefiepoo
03-27-2013, 12:02
I'm heading to Franklin NC, to start a section hike that week. I can drop by ATL to pick you up and drop off at Amicola Falls. Free ride for you and all the advice you care to listen to. References available from my gal pal hiker friends in case you feel it's creepy accepting a ride from an old dude.

es365
03-27-2013, 21:09
We are definitely interested! Feel free to email me at [email protected] to talk logistics

Tree Nerd
03-27-2013, 21:10
There are two REIs in Atlanta. Make it to one of those then look like a lost puppy dog with a cardboard sign that says "Springer Mountain" :banana

chiefiepoo
04-04-2013, 12:31
Es365 , where are you? Still in need of a ride from ATL? Send me a message. I need to make follow on plans for a shuttle to start my hike.

Jim

turtle fast
04-04-2013, 15:28
Cheaper yet...what is another few miles added on to a thru hike than to road hike from Atlanta to Springer. On a serious note, the REI idea is good...or someone here with references...OR pay the $75.