PDA

View Full Version : PCT Section Hike

rulf
03-26-2013, 15:20
Hey guys,

I already opened up a topic on section-hiking the AT, but a friend recommended me the PCT so I'm leaning more towards it now...

So maybe I can get a little bit of advice from the veterans.

I'm a total beginner, I never truly hiked so I'm unsure which section of the trail would be advisable for three months from mid june to mid august. I don't plan on doing mail drops since I'm from Germany and I don't really know how it all works, so I'll rely on the food I can buy in towns. I'm just a little unsure how easy or hard it is to pack food for 5-7 days, which seems to be a regular interval on the PCT. Oh, and I also don't know how much distance I can make as someone who hasn't hiked before, so I don't really know how far I can get in three months and how I'll fit that to my flight back to Germany (that's a question I gotta answer for myself, I guess). Anyway... still a lot of open questions... and I haven't even compiled an affordable gear list and cared for a credit card to buy food in towns etc.

If any of you have some comments or advice on one or the other points, I'd be really glad!

All the best

Dogwood
03-26-2013, 16:31
IMO, you are asking the right questions. Thank you. I suspect you'll be OK on your first 3 month hiking adventure.

If coming from Germany, I wouldn't miss the Sierras on the PCT. Also thought Crater Lake NP was cool although you get all/most of Crater Lake in one AMAZING short term experience. Eagle Creek alternate is rather cool too as well as the miles just before dropping down to it. Hey, how many times do you get to hike BEHIND a waterfall. Goat Rocks Wilderness is awesome too. You'll get differnt answers though because different people have different tastes but those are some of the most often mentioned PCT highlights that hikers enjoy.

Thing with the PCT as compared to some other LONG distance trails in the U.S. is its great variety in terms of both varied scenery, terrain, and possible trail conditions. It really depends on what priorities you have. Having three months to do some(large part) of it can give you a real feel for the varied scenery and terrain so that's a plus in my book. CERTAINLY, is more reasonable than someone desiring to get a feel for the PCT with say two wks.

Malto
03-26-2013, 16:37
I would look at starting somewhere around Kennedy Meadows (mile700) and heading north. You may be able to hit the Canadian border or at least Ashland Or or Cascade Locks. This would include some very nice areas but would have some complexities. First, you would be hitting the Sierra fresh and would have the biggest logistical challenge upon your arrival. You would also be hitting the Sierra without your trail legs which isn't a show stopper but it could be a slow downer.

Dogwood
03-26-2013, 17:10
You'll find this info elsewhere on WB but just to fastrack you on another possible resupply option - once getting to the U.S. into a town with a large grocery store you can mail a few resupply boxes ahead from there. If you aren't a picky eater and don't have any other reasons why you might have to mail resupply boxes it's perfectly legit to just buy chow along the way when hiking the PCT. Outfitters and many other hiker desired services along the way near the PCT too.

With a newbie hiker, even with very experienced hikers, it's about finding what's right for yourself along the way. Don't be afraid of not knowing everything. You don't need to know everything. Find what's currently working and change what isn't. Be flexible. Be adaptable. Be tolerant, especially of yourself when you make a mistake or don't know something. EVOLVE!

Know this too. Thru-hiking isn't brain surgery. You don't need to know every minute detail about hiking for three months on the PCT to ENJOY hiking for three months on the PCT. Don't forget why you are out there - to have fun and survive all the crazy Americans.:D Laugh.

This is a GREAT TRAIL. Basically, it's well marked obvious tread for most of it. It's not extremely remote and sees a fair amount of hiking traffic especially if you opt to hike with or around PCT thru-hikers which might be great for you as a newbie hiker. Americans, even though we can have our idiosyncratic ways, are helpful even more so within the hiking community which you'll be part of. Welcommen.

10-K
03-26-2013, 17:32
Enjoying this thread.. I'm planning a PCT in 2014 but like to have a Plan B if something happens between now and then and I can't block off 5 full months.

I was going to start a thread about where the best place to get off the trail 25%, 50%, and 75% of the way would be.

Coffee
03-26-2013, 19:55
I've been using http://www.pctplanner.com/ to map out some options for 2014. I'm thinking Kennedy Meadows (south) to I-80 which is around 450 miles and would probably take me right around one month. I'm doing the JMT Southbound this summer and want to pick a northbound route for next year that's somewhat longer. Right now its between Kennedy Meadows-Tahoe on the PCT or the Colorado Trail for 2014... still very early. PctPlanner is a great tool to map out possible section hikes.

10-K
03-26-2013, 20:19
I'd never seen pctplanner.com - that's pretty cool.

Dogwood
03-26-2013, 20:29
My turn. 10 - K, you are going to love the PCT. Your hiking style and you are an excellent fit for the PCT. Unless you are familiar with the scenery of west of the Mississippi hiking you will be blown away with it. It's so different than much of the east coast stuff you have done/have been doing.

Malto
03-26-2013, 21:58
My turn. 10 - K, you are going to love the PCT. Your hiking style and you are an excellent fit for the PCT. Unless you are familiar with the scenery of west of the Mississippi hiking you will be blown away with it. It's so different than much of the east coast stuff you have done/have been doing.

Agree completely with this. There is nothing cooler than cruising through the desert of SoCal late in the evening after the temperature has cooled down. Another great thing.....if you don't like the scenery, wait a day, it will be completely different.

Spirit Walker
03-27-2013, 12:03
Starting in mid-June you will probably run into snow the first couple of weeks. Not a big problem, but it will slow you down a bit and river crossings may be hazardous.

If you start at Walker Pass, just south of the Sierras, there is a bus that will take you most of the way (Kernville/Lake Isabella is accessible from Bakersfield, which is accessible from LA.) Hiking north, you could get to Ashland, OR. It's a beautiful hike.

Alternately you could start at Lake Tahoe and hike north as far as you can. You'll still have snow the first couple of weeks, but it is easier to get to resupply points, the elevation isn't as high so you probably won't have to deal with altitude illness, and you won't need a bear canister as you would in the Sierras.

Since you have a few months, I suggest you work very hard at getting fit. It will make your hike much more enjoyable.

rulf
03-27-2013, 12:46
Thanks for the input so far!

Is there a way to avoid snow? Like hiking from north to south or something? I'm kinda looking for the easiest "beginner trip" for three months... and I'm also dependent on airports : / Not really familiar with logistics in the US.

Well, I guess I gotta do some more research on the topic.

Greets

Malto
03-27-2013, 14:04
There isn't likely to be much snow this year in mid June. As of right now the snow conditions are looking pretty similiar to last year and it was pretty smooth sailing by mid June. Also keep in mind that you will be starting a bit slower in all likelihood due to just coming onto the trail. By mid June I would expect a very easy to follow path through any remaining snow on places such as Muir Pass which is relatively easy. Bottom line, don't fear the snow!

Venchka
04-07-2013, 22:54
Rulf,
Welcome! I'm confused. You said you have 3 months, but mid-June to mid-August is 2 months. Either way, you will have a lot of time to explore.
Reno, Nevada airport is very close to Lake Tahoe. Going north for your return trip, the major airports are Portland, Oregon and Seattle. Washington.
Good luck. Keep us posted. You have the Alps for practice!

Wayne