PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to RA Wizard

Old Man Joe
03-26-2013, 15:31
R.A. Wizard began with the AT Class of 2010. That's when he started his thru-hike. Unfortunately, his severe asthma forced him off the Trail at Dragon's Tooth that year. In March 2012 he got back on the Trail at Dragon's Tooth and restarted his journey northward, determined to travel as far as his body would allow. At Harpers Ferry he was forced off the Trail again, this time it wasn't his asthma but his knees. He went home to Ohio. He rested and returned to Harpers Ferry in May of that year to continue, his dream - reaching the AT halfway point in 2012. He succeeded and reached Pine Grove Furnace, PA. Subsequently, he's had injections into his knees to alleviate the pain/discomfort and on April 1, 2013, with his doctor's okay, he'll once again begin his journey northward from Pine Grove Furnace. His ultimate goal is to reach Katahdin. Unfortunately, his hiking is limited to the time of year when the pollen, etc. aren't bad enough to kick in his asthma. He doesn't know how his knees will react this year. I don't know how far he'll hike this year but, knowing him, he'll give it one helluva shot.

This may sound maudlin but, to me, this is the true spirit of the Trail. Whether he makes it to Katahdin or not is irrelevant. What I believe is relevant is the determination of the human spirit to achieve. May he be an inspiration to anyone and everyone who is presently on the Trail, has been forced off the Trail before completing their thru-hike, or whoever has a goal in life, whether it be to hike the AT or something else.

If you're interested, his 2010, and subsequent, writings can be found on trailjournals.com, under the Trail Name of R.A.Wizard.

I'm posting this to the Class of 2013 Forum because I figure he becomes whatever class it is until he's done.

For what it's worth.

canoe
03-26-2013, 17:31
keep on keeping on.. Good luck R A

HeartWalker
03-26-2013, 20:22
I was out there with him in 2010. He is a great guy and I wish him Godspeed. I restart my attempt on April 08. Maybe I'll see him out there.

HikerMom58
03-26-2013, 20:40
I was out there with him in 2010. He is a great guy and I wish him Godspeed. I restart my attempt on April 08. Maybe I'll see him out there.

Very NICE!!

Heartwalker- I wonder if my daughter ran into you on your 2010 journey... she was out there in 2010. She spoke of a hiker- trail name Heartbeat. Did you know him?

Lone Wolf
03-26-2013, 20:45
cool........

HeartWalker
03-26-2013, 22:20
Nope sorry Hiker Mom I didn't/ What was your daughter's name?

HikerMom58
03-26-2013, 23:04
Nope sorry Hiker Mom I didn't/ What was your daughter's name?

Shivers....she was hiking with the break crew. Oh well, good luck on your hike in April!! :)

Old Man Joe
05-09-2013, 16:43
Update: R.A. Wizard made it to Great Barrington, MA. His knees weren't amused the last couple of weeks, or so, but he prevailed. Fortunately, neither his knees or his asthma forced him off but, rather, it was a "honey do" list that awaited him at home. He hiked ~420 miles, not bad for an old, gasping hiker with bitching knees. Stay tuned for 2014 when he hits the "best" part of the Trail.

Nice job RAW.

For what it's worth.

dmax
05-09-2013, 17:53
Good Job Wiloby