PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started and need help with where I should begin

jtfinch2003
03-26-2013, 19:16
I知 trying to plan a trip for the end of the summer and willonly have 7-10 days. I would like to end in Virginia still not sure on whereyet because I知 not quite sure where I should start. I知 guessing I could doabout 10 miles a day possibly more. I would really like to see some beautifulscenic views over water and the mountains. I have never been here before and amclueless to where to get started. I would need something close to a shuttlethat can get me to my start point from the airport. I have family that lives inVirginia and would be able to have them pick me up at my end point whereverthat may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this journeyunderway. Any suggestions?

Cookerhiker
03-26-2013, 19:49
I’m trying to plan a trip for the end of the summer and willonly have 7-10 days. I would like to end in Virginia still not sure on whereyet because I’m not quite sure where I should start. I’m guessing I could doabout 10 miles a day possibly more. I would really like to see some beautifulscenic views over water and the mountains. I have never been here before and amclueless to where to get started. I would need something close to a shuttlethat can get me to my start point from the airport. I have family that lives inVirginia and would be able to have them pick me up at my end point whereverthat may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this journeyunderway. Any suggestions?

First of all, Virginia is a large state - over 500 AT miles. So it helps to know in what part of Virginia your family lives and what airport you speak of.

Secondly, I'm going to guess that they live in the Northern VA suburbs of DC. If so, then the obvious choice for a hike is Shenandoah National Park. It's 107 miles between the south entrance near Waynesboro and the north on Rt. 522 near Front Royal. This is about the right length for your specs. SNP isn't "flat" by any means but the trail is well-graded; you should be able to do it if you're in decent aerobic shape. If you fly to DC (preferably National airport), you can get AMTRAK to Charlottesville and arrange for a shuttle to the trailhead to begin hiking north.

You will have nice views of the mountains to the west at many overlooks along the way. As far as views of water, forget it. The Shenandoah River is barely visible in a few places in the north portion. If you shift the hike start to Thornton Gap in SNP and hike north, it's 85 miles to Harpers Ferry where you'll catch a nice view of the Potomac and Shenandoah where they converge but that's only on the last part of your last day. If you hike to Harpers Ferry from the north (south Pennsylvania and Maryland), the mountains are lower and less impressive but the view of the Potomac - again on the last part - is striking.

Being from Minnesota, you're accustomed to real lakes which the AT corridor does not feature until New York. Actually, the best eastern hiking to take in both high mountains and water is the northern part of the Long Trail in Vermont.

If your family lives in Richmond or the Tidewater area, you could still hike SNP or the section south of it where the AT parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway.

canoe
03-26-2013, 19:53
I like the southern 2 section of the SNP

canoe
03-26-2013, 19:57
Lots of trail angels in waynesboro. There is an airport just out of town. There is an outfitter just outside of rockfish gap( waynesboro) plus there are many oppertunities for campgrounds, lodges, campstores, cabins and waysides along the way. If you are ust getting started this is the perfect place

johnnybgood
03-26-2013, 20:03
When you say "the end of summer",do you mean August or September ? The summer heat & humidity is stifling here in the east, but this wains by mid September . The best 7-10 day stretch in Virginia is Damascus north through the Grayson Highlands, appx. 75 miles, ending in Atkins. Start the hike north out of Damascus on the scenic Virginia Creeper Trail before connecting with the AT .
The Tri-Cities Airport in Bristol/Johnson City is roughly 45 minutes from your start point. The best scenery is the Highlands area with wild ponies and open balds with open meadows.
I'm not sure where your family is coming from but Atkins is right off I-81 in southwest Virginia.

HikerMom58
03-26-2013, 20:09
I’m trying to plan a trip for the end of the summer and willonly have 7-10 days. I would like to end in Virginia still not sure on whereyet because I’m not quite sure where I should start. I’m guessing I could doabout 10 miles a day possibly more. I would really like to see some beautifulscenic views over water and the mountains. I have never been here before and amclueless to where to get started. I would need something close to a shuttlethat can get me to my start point from the airport. I have family that lives inVirginia and would be able to have them pick me up at my end point whereverthat may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get this journeyunderway. Any suggestions?

We need more details of where, in VA, your family lives and how far they would be willing to drive to pick you up. Virginia has a lot of nice trail. You can't really go wrong with 7-10 days in any section of it. There is an airport in Roanoke VA. The trail crosses a major road it's only about 15 minutes from the airport. I do shuttles in this area. The fun is in the planning of a hike 2. :) Have fun!