PDA

View Full Version : Better Then Moleskin?

9 Mules
06-27-2005, 13:53
I met a hiker that swears by a new blister healing/protection product but I can't think of the name or who makes it....can anyone help me out?

I think "BandAid" and another company makes this product...something called "2nd Skin"?

dougmeredith
06-27-2005, 14:10
Spenco makes a product called "Second Skin". It isn't new though.

Doug

JoeHiker
06-27-2005, 14:18
I met a hiker that swears by a new blister healing/protection product but I can't think of the name or who makes it....can anyone help me out?

I think "BandAid" and another company makes this product...something called "2nd Skin"?
Johnson & Johnson have a variation on Band-aids called something like "Advanced Healing" pads with "Vite Gueri". Whatever they are, they act like a second skin. When you wear it, you suddenly can't even feel the blister at all They really mold so well to the wound and become a part of it almost. One of them will stay on for a good week.

I once had a horrible, deep blister from running and these bandages were the only thing that got me through it.

TREE-HUGGER
06-27-2005, 17:14
Band aid and Johnson and Johnson are the right products to look for. Anything with "compeed technology". And everyones description is right on. It feels like little rubber pieces that are soft and feel like skin. The secret is to put on a coat of "tincture of benzoine" before the pad and they stick in the hard places even better. A pharmicist can get it for you.

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2005, 17:23
Spenco's Second Skin is a non-sterile paddding that actually puts a layer of water between a blister and your sock. When securely adhered to the affected area (with thin Moleskin or better yet, duct tape), it works well. It's available in pharmacies, better outfitters, and some supermarket first-aid aisles.

Tractor
06-27-2005, 19:04
I've tried those "compeed" things and now always bring some with. TreeHugger is right, they work best if you clean the area and if the area is dry before placement. I've had a couple last for 5 or 6 days but the more ups & downs (and the larger the elevation changes) the shorter their attachement time (for me anyways). They make at least two sizes too.

Bearbait
06-27-2005, 21:48
For several years now I've used CoFlex for prevention and protection when a blister did pop up. CoFlex is the stuff the American Red Cross puts around your arm after you give blood. It stays put even when wet. It's basically a lighter weight version of an Ace bandage. Plus it does not get all gluie and sticky inside your sock.

DMA, 2000
06-27-2005, 22:06
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...New Skin (New, not 2nd, not mole) is the best. Just paint it on, enjoy the smell, watch it try, and hike on.

digger51
06-28-2005, 01:16
Plain old clear fingernail polish on hot spots helped me make it from Ga to NY in 2001 with only 2 small blisters.

RU98A
06-28-2005, 07:57
Blister Block from Band Aid works good.

BigToe
06-30-2005, 01:30
I've gotta put a bid in for good old duct tape. It works great for me!

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2005, 00:02
I've gotta put a bid in for good old duct tape.
D'oh! Ditto what I was thinking...

Pot-O-Gold
07-01-2005, 00:11
I've gotta put a bid in for good old duct tape. It works great for me!
Yeah, and you can use it for about a million other screwed up things while you're on the trail.:banana

brian
07-01-2005, 09:17
Man, I was getting scared that no one mentioned duct tape until so late! It has become a staple in many first aid kits for blisters, including the one of our Boy Scout troop.

Brian
www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

badinfluence
08-30-2005, 14:37
Ironically, I use the little foam piece from blank CD spindles. I had a bunch of them laying around and figured I'd throw a few in my kit - worked like a charm. No sticking to the blister or nothing - used to use duct tape - but this just works like a charm. Weighs nothing and is FREE!!

Sure enough, after giving this a though, I googled it before I was going to post it in a few forums and found that others do the same thing.

So, not so unique after all, but it works great.

Jonathan

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-30-2005, 22:00
Wow, I'm gonna take note of that...

saimyoji
09-11-2005, 23:42
I've been having bad troubles with blisters, moslty on the very backs on my heels. Tried duck tape: NO. Tried duck tape to hold bandages in place over the deep blisters while at work: NO. seems my sweaty feet just dissolved the adhesive and the tape would ball up inside my sock.

Bought some Fox River liners: YAHOO!!. No blisters. I did make one mistake though: I wore them without any other socks. This reduced the cushioning effect from cushy socks and my feet were damn sore at the end of the day (10miles).

I guess next time I'll wear wool/cotton socks OVER the liners for cushion.

Any comments?

MacGyver2005
09-12-2005, 10:16
I've been having bad troubles with blisters, moslty on the very backs on my heels. Tried duck tape: NO. Tried duck tape to hold bandages in place over the deep blisters while at work: NO. seems my sweaty feet just dissolved the adhesive and the tape would ball up inside my sock.

Bought some Fox River liners: YAHOO!!. No blisters. I did make one mistake though: I wore them without any other socks. This reduced the cushioning effect from cushy socks and my feet were damn sore at the end of the day (10miles).

I guess next time I'll wear wool/cotton socks OVER the liners for cushion.

Any comments?
Wearing two pairs of socks, liners underneath thick wool/synthetic socks, has been the "right way" when it comes to hiking for years. It is the "safest" recommendation that can be made, especially with heavy-duty boots, as it provides great padding, insulation, and water wicking. I would think that you will get your best results with this approach. Then, as you spend more time wearing socks in this manner and have more time to experiment, you may find that something lighter may work just fine for you.

As for blisters, new-skin is great. Duct Tape is an option that works, and has been used countless times by many a hiker. I just plead to all of you to properly treat the blister before you cover it, regardless of what you cover it with. I helped many hikers this year by teaching them that simply throwing tape over their blister was not the best solution. Once a blister has formed, take a needle, safety pin, or other sharp impliment, and lance the blister. Drain the fluid, but be sure that the skin remains intact. This will relieve the pressure, which causes the pain, as well as help prevent the blister from getting any larger and potentially more of a threat to your health. Remember that blood poisoning is a serious issue that can arrise from a neglected blister.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

frieden
09-12-2005, 11:12
I use hiking socks, with liner socks. When I did my 3 week hike in the UK, I was concerned, because I didn't have time to break in my boots (Merrell). I wore my boots non-stop, and didn't get one blister! I was very impressed. It's also very important to keep your feet dry.

betic4lyf
09-13-2005, 20:47
hears my method. pop blister with something handy. tear of blister skin. disinfect and add antibiotic, cover with bandaid, add sock and shoe.

works well for running, i dont get many hiking blisters.

Panzer1
09-14-2005, 21:49
The Spenco Second Skin is made of a gelatin similar to the desert food Jell-O. It is composed of about 96% water, 4% whatever. The theory on this is that blisters heal faster if they are kept wet as opposed to being allowed to dry out. The soft gelatin substance also cushions the wound preventing further injury and feels good when applied. In everyday use it works well. However, if you are on the trail and hiking long days, the substance tends to move around and you will find yourself changing it too often.

Other products like moleskin are made for around the house use. The glue is not very strong. That is by design. If the glue was stronger it would be harder for people to remove it when they are done with it and then they would not buy the product again. This is why mole skin keeps coming off when hikers use it on the trail.

Hiker’s use duck tape because of the strong bond it provided it tends to stay in place even with long days of hiking. Large pieces of duck tend to stay in place better than small pieces. That’s because large pieces have more sticky surface. If the foot is dry when the duck tape is applied, it will hold better. Before applying duck tape to a blister, the blister should first be covered with something to prevent the duck tape from sticking to the blister itself. I have often used a small piece of tissue paper for this purpose. If the Spenco product is used for this purpose it will not stay put because it is mostly water, it will find a way to squeeze out even if held in place with duck tape. This is because the boot/shoe will excerpt enough pressure on the foot to squeeze it out.

New skin works well for some things but since it is a liquid coating it does not really protect well.

Surgical tape is good for some things too. Like wrapping a blister on the toe. It tends not to ball off because the end of the toe is larger that the rest of the toe. I carried a 1/2 inch and a 1 inch roll of surgical paper tape.

Panzer