PDA

View Full Version : Thru cut short?

Japp
03-27-2013, 07:05
I'm in Helen GA right now and I'm about positive that I have tendinitis in my left achiles. Had this injury in my right foot I'm the military So I'm pretty familiar with the terrible pain it causes and how it feels. Really don't know what to do but after over 36 hours of rest it's not any better. I might be going home after just 53 miles. We shall see I guess.

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 07:26
Ugh, sorry. Been dealing with that in my left Achilles for a while now. So I feel your pain. One thing that has helped me a little has been using a foam roller to stretch my lower calf -- I'm thinking a closed cell foam pad could be used as a roller.

But during a real flare-up there's no way I could hike on it....

Old Hiker
03-27-2013, 07:28
Hey, Japp !

Tough luck about the problem. For what it's worth: last year, I had problems with my right foot that I was told to either take 8 weeks off to heal or stop hiking for that year. I took 3 at home, rested up and re-started. Ended up with 500 miles before slipping, spraining and cracking my right ankle to stop me for good. I'm planning another try in 2016.

Take care of the ankle first - the Trail will be there.

Japp
03-27-2013, 07:43
Thanks for the replies. I know I'm not special and this stuff just happens. My pops is driving down to pick me up. Ill be back trail. Can't let her off that easy.

Capt Nat
03-27-2013, 07:59
I'm sorry Japp. I left Hawk Mountain shelter on March 11 and by the time I got down to Hightower Gap, I was in bad pain. By the time I had climbed back onto the high ridge, I was reduced to hobbling. It's a tough pill to swallow. I thought I would never get down the slope into Horse Gap where I caught a ride and my hike was over. This thing is slow getting over. I'm starting to jog a little, but I can still feel it. Take care of yourself and good luck on getting back in shape. I'm like you, that trail is out there and I'm going to hit it again when I'm ready...

leaftye
03-27-2013, 08:03
That sucks Japp. I kind of know how you feel. My achilles has been giving me warnings that there may not be much long distance hiking left in my future. If you have the money for a good bike, you might want to look into bike touring. If you haven't been on a bike in a while, then start slowly getting back into biking to get your butt bones used to it.

q-tip
03-27-2013, 10:30
Tendonitis-I have had it in ankles, knees (2 operations) and shoulder (3 operations). Ice, anti-inflamitories, and rest. If it's really bad, this probably won't heal while walking on the trail.

mtntopper
03-27-2013, 10:38
I have never had it. I have been very fortunate. Can you get some kind of shot for it or some other kinds of meds? I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done. How can one prevent it?

Slo-go'en
03-27-2013, 10:42
Yeap, that will stop you in your tracks. Hate when that happens. Took six weeks for mine to get better last time it happend to me.

Slo-go'en
03-27-2013, 10:45
I have never had it. I have been very fortunate. Can you get some kind of shot for it or some other kinds of meds? I am just wondering if there is anything else that can be done. How can one prevent it?

You just have to let it heal. I have found going on long, but easy walks for a week or two before getting on the trail really helps. I haven't had a re-occurance since I started doing that. Also, take it easy on the down hills, that seems to put the most stress on the tendins.

Mags
03-27-2013, 12:32
Rest up and go SoBo?

max patch
03-27-2013, 12:44
How can one prevent it?

Probably the only thing you can do is to select different parents.

Ladytrekker
03-27-2013, 13:39
I have it in my right heel where the tendon attaches to the heel bone it is very painful I do alot weekend overnights on the FT and have had curtail some of my hikes cause by end of the day I am practically crawling tried inserts heat ice packs etc. Finally went to Orthopedic and he confirmed it and told me that when I am ready to heal it he will boot me for 8 weeks obviously I'm not ready and I can order a boot from amazon and do that myself he said this is the only solution at this point is to totally rest it think I will do it this summer cause it's really cramping my fun

Japp
03-27-2013, 13:41
I've got school in the fall. I might just have to section my way to 2000. It's all good. Just have to rest up and find another adventure for spring.

jdc5294
03-27-2013, 16:01
I had what I'm pretty sure was the exact same problem in the exact same place on the trail. I'm not sure how to say this nicely so I'll just say it, but I just sucked it up. I started stepping a bit differently (I believe I started stepping on the ball of my feet more) and after a couple days it suddenly went away.

Depends on how much you want it, I guess.

rocketsocks
03-27-2013, 16:24
Sorry to hear this Japp, there are medical prescriptions to be had that may work for you, lidoderm patches, Voltaren, at times they work for me when no amount of Advil touched the pain and strangely at other times nothing worked. It is also likely that if you have this condition it will come back, don't push it though, the affects of tendonitis I'm told can be cumulative.20741good luck with it.

jbwood5
03-27-2013, 16:44
Good advice about not pushing thru tendonitis. What could be cured in 6-8 weeks might end up taking months or years if you push through it using pain meds, or toughing it out.

I'm going on over a year with plantar fasciitis (maybe 70% improved from the worst it was). I think it is taking so long because I can't stay off my feet.

Good luck to you!