PDA

View Full Version : Jack Tarlin

SGT Rock
06-27-2005, 13:54
Howdy Jack! I've been off the net a while training soldiers and just recently got back to posting and see you must be in a town somewhere.

I bought a present to meet you in Erwin with, but seems events conspired against that - so I'll save it for another time. Stuff like that only gets better with age anyway.

How is your hike going?

wacocelt
06-27-2005, 14:18
I'm in Erwin, you can give it to me to... erm, DELIVER! Yeah, deliver, that's the ticket!

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2005, 14:51
All's well, jumped off at Pearisburg with a cracked bone in my hand. (The result of a mis-understanding between myself and a large slab of granite). Presently in Harpers Ferry, off to Duncannon for the big Billville thru-hiker extravaganza next week; most likely heading North from Hudson River around the 12th if the hand is better. Should be in Hanover for awhile in early August; any of you guys planning to be in the area then should let me know. Then heading North to Maine, and perhaps going back to fill in some sections afterwards. Will in all likelihood NOT hike everything this year, but I would like to get back down south for a bit. Rock, hope to see you in Caratunk in September; failing that, you are expected (!!) in Hanover in October for the ALDHA Gathering. Will probably be having some sort of dinner function at the Baltimore estate for selected non-southbounders; if it ain't at my place, we'll hold it at Five Olde. In any case, see you down the line somewhere.....

Oh. If anyone wants to try something novel and different, try getting up in the morning and putting on your hiking socks one-handed. It ain't a barrel of laughs, and will give you a great appreciation of the late Lord Nelson, who lost an arm at Santa Cruz de Tenerife. And tightening boot laces is a real joy, too. Too bad one can't thru-hike in loafers. In any case, it's a good excuse to take some time off, in retrospect, I should have broken the hand ages ago, as I'm enjoying the rest.

Lugnut
06-27-2005, 16:30
Just as well Rock missed you since it's pretty difficult to remove some bottle caps with ones teeth. Did you get a real cast or just use your old standby of duct tape? :D

Footslogger
06-27-2005, 16:55
After reading Jack's post I think I'm missing a big opportunity here. Seem like I ought to open up a little sprain/fracture clinic along the trail and offer bandaging and therapy to thru-hikers instead of dealing with athletes out here in Laramie. Seems to me like Baltimore Jack alone would keep me in business. I don't think I've ever seen you Jack when you didn't have some body part bleeding and bandaged.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2005, 17:07
Thanks, Slogger. I think. But then again, you're in Wyoming (presumably), and I was out hiking on the Trail this afternoon, at least for awhile.

It would appear that there are some parts of me that still work, tape and all.

Footslogger
06-27-2005, 17:58
You're like a Timex, Jack ...take a lickin and keep on tickin !

Enjoy the trail. Sure wish I was out there this year.

'Slogger

Sly
06-27-2005, 18:35
Enjoy the trail. Sure wish I was out there this year.

Not sure how much hiking you've done out there 'Slogger but, Wyoming was an awesome surprise. Huston Park Wilderness, The Winds, Teton Wilderness, Gros Venture, Yellowstone, even the Red Desert. It don't get any better than that, minus the people!

Footslogger
06-27-2005, 18:43
Not sure how much hiking you've done out there 'Slogger but, Wyoming was an awesome surprise. Huston Park Wilderness, The Winds, Teton Wilderness, Gros Venture, Yellowstone, even the Red Desert. It don't get any better than that, minus the people!-----------------------------------------
Yeah I know Sly ...it is beautiful out here, but really do miss the AT. Not complaining because we know how good we've got it out here. Truth be told, we're headed to Yellowstone/Teton on Friday morning.

'Slogger

Nearly Normal
06-27-2005, 19:01
Try the Cascade trail in the Tetons and if you can swing it over to Idaho try the Craters of the Moon.
In Yellowstone, close to the Northern entrance go to the hot springs. I think it's at the 56th or 54th Parellel. The only one you can get in in the park.
pete

Sly
06-27-2005, 19:12
-----------------------------------------
Yeah I know Sly ... Truth be told, we're headed to Yellowstone/Teton on Friday morning.

'Slogger

Oh right! You really know how to hurt a guy! :datz Have fun and watch yourselves, I hear the caldera is rising. ;)

Sly
06-27-2005, 19:14
... didn't mean to hijack Jack's tribute thread. :p

Jaybird
06-29-2005, 09:32
-----------------------------------------
Yeah I know Sly ...it is beautiful out here, but really do miss the AT. Not complaining because we know how good we've got it out here. Truth be told, we're headed to Yellowstone/Teton on Friday morning.'Slogger

Yo 'Slogger:

Say HELLO to the BISON fer me! hehehehehehe :D

My wife & i did some day-hikes in the TETONS & Yellowstone last September....GREAT STUFF! AND everywhere you looked.....POSTCARD VIEWS!

Jaybird
06-29-2005, 09:35
All's well, jumped off at Pearisburg with a cracked bone in my hand. (The result of a mis-understanding between myself and a large slab of granite). Presently in Harpers Ferry, etc.,etc.,etc.,................

Yo JACK!

Glad you had the DUCT TAPE handy!
Where you smokin' a Camel when you hit the granite rock?
Did you have your knee pads on???? hehehehehehe :D

Footslogger
06-29-2005, 10:24
Yo 'Slogger:

Say HELLO to the BISON fer me! hehehehehehe :D

My wife & i did some day-hikes in the TETONS & Yellowstone last September....GREAT STUFF! AND everywhere you looked.....POSTCARD VIEWS!================================
Will do ...and you know what they say ?? ..."Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you one messy home !!"

'Slogger