PDA

View Full Version : flip-flop questions

mainelydave
03-27-2013, 08:08
I'd love to thru hike this year, but likely can't leave until May. Thus, I'm thinking about starting at Harpers Ferry, heading north to Maine, then taking a train back to Harpers Ferry and heading south to Georgia. It seems to work on many levels, including starting on relatively easy trail, better temperatures, and giving me plenty of time to complete the trip. However, it seems like I'd likely be ahead of most people on the north-bound leg, and likely still ahead of most south-bounders when I flip. Perhaps I'd be better off starting south of Harpers Ferry?

Is there anybody here that has down this flip that could provide some knowledge? Any Trail Journals of people that have hiked the AT this way?

Thanks.

mainelydave
03-27-2013, 08:22
good news. finally found a journal of 'Faceless' who did this flip in 2002. http://www.sophiaknows.com/summerhike/index.html

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 10:13
This is a good strategy. Given that I work at a school, if I ever get to thru-hike, that's what I would do. Also, you get to "finish" twice, once at Katahdin and once at Springer.

Coosa
03-27-2013, 11:52
The Thrus that started in Feb and Mar will easily be in MD in May. Don't worry about finding the crowds, they'll find you.

See ya out there. I'm starting the first weekend in May MD.

Coosa
03-27-2013, 11:54
Yes, I've lost my mind ... February starters MAY be in MD ... March will probably be in VA.

Forgive my brain lapse.