PDA

View Full Version : catastophic LED headlight failure?

1azarus
03-27-2013, 08:41
I'm a gram weenie, and only carry one source of light, other than my cell phone -- a princeton TEC EOS headlamp. I just bought a new one, thinking I had enough hours on my old one for lamp failure to be a possibility. And I guess I just had to buy a new piece of gear to feel like my life has meaning. These things now carry a 10 year warranty. Does anyone have any experience with failure of the headlight lamp itself -- especially due to hours of usage?

JAK
03-27-2013, 08:52
That's funny. Fair question, but still strikes me funny. I've had to camp right on the trail a few times because of catastrophic twilight failure. It's a bummer. Headlamp is a good piece of kit to have for sure.

Pedaling Fool
03-27-2013, 09:01
They're pretty reliable, but everything is prone to failure. I always carry something like THIS (http://www.google.com/search?q=led+light+on+a+keychain&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS476&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=luxSUZjOJZPq8gT3tYDICg&ved=0CHcQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=665) as a backup, just in case

leaftye
03-27-2013, 09:05
Eventually I'll burn an LED out, but it'll be from giving it too much power. I doubt the LED in your headlamp actually burned out. It's probably the driver. If it was the LED, it usually turns an odd color and then sometimes may get very dim.

That headlamp is 105 grams?!? I thought they were light. That better be with batteries and headband.

jbwood5
03-27-2013, 09:19
I have a Princeton Tec Apex Pro that had the battery cover latch fail (plastic broke) in the middle of the night on a trail. I was able to secure it with duct tape to get me through. Ultimately, I called Princeton Tec and they gave me a RMA to return it and they fixed it and gave me a free replacement head band (mine had a bad smell that I could not get out). If your light is worth the cost of the postage to send it in, they will probably fix or replace it. I had no receipt or record of purchase and they did not ask for it.

A failure is not something you want to happen in the middle of the night, but it happens. I just keep a small keychain LED light for backup and for replacing the main light batteries if they go dead. In total darkness, those little single LED lights can save your butt.

Tipi Walter
03-27-2013, 09:26
I ran screaming from Princeton Tec lights long ago when one of their flashlights malfunctioned after a couple weeks of use. I put Princeton Tec below Black Diamond lights and both below Petzl.

garlic08
03-27-2013, 09:28
The things are small enough to loose easily. That'll probably happen way before it fails.

I left mine in a motel room once, I think, and didn't find out until after dark a couple days later. It didn't ruin my hike, and I didn't even bother replacing it until I got home weeks later. It was summer, long days, I planned my days carefully to be camping by dark, and got more rest without it. Not exactly catastrophic in those conditions. I could see where it could be, though.

Snowleopard
03-27-2013, 09:37
Mechanical failure (latches, switches, etc.) or failure of electronics other than the LED is more likely than failure of the LED, unless the LED is being overdriven or overheated. Like other electronics, if it's going to fail it's more likely in the first few hours.

You can get cheap squeeze keychain lights like John Gault's for almost nothing and they weigh little. Keep a couple of those on your person or pack as a backup. If you want to spend more, there are amazingly bright AAA LED flashlights that weigh less than an ounce, but they cost more like $20 than $1.

colorado_rob
03-27-2013, 09:43
I've been using headlamps since they first came out, and I do a lot of after-dark hiking/running, never had a failure other than batteries running down. LED's have an incredible life span, 10's of thousands of hours, so I really wouldn't worry. I always carry spare batteries (now only 1 needed for this little 38 gram wonder, with one lithium AA: http://www.rei.com/product/808895/mammut-s-lite-headlamp?cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-808895&mr:referralID=241d20c5-96e3-11e2-9dea-001b2166becc ). I usually have my cell phone as a backup light source to swap out the headlamp batteries. I did have one close call when my batteries died coming down a mountain in the rain at night, had to swap out the batteries in pitch dark, had to go strictly by feel with battery polarity, etc.

leaftye
03-27-2013, 09:48
You can get cheap squeeze keychain lights like John Gault's for almost nothing and they weigh little. Keep a couple of those on your person or pack as a backup. If you want to spend more, there are amazingly bright AAA LED flashlights that weigh less than an ounce, but they cost more like $20 than $1.

I've done the keychain light thing. It works surprisingly well for 50 cents. I use mine for about 10 hours before I give it to my kid cousins.

The $20-25 AA flashlight I reviewed in the light forum weighs only 1.275 ounces (36 grams) with battery. It's a clone of a light that has several clones, so it should be easy to find a clip that could be used to attach it to the brim of a hat to make it into a headlamp.

The Ace
03-27-2013, 09:56
Agree with carrying a spare; I carry the Photon Freedom Micro. It weighs 7 grams and is bright enough to read while using as a dome light in my tent.

BirdBrain
03-27-2013, 10:05
I'm a gram weenie, and only carry one source of light, other than my cell phone -- a princeton TEC EOS headlamp. I just bought a new one, thinking I had enough hours on my old one for lamp failure to be a possibility. And I guess I just had to buy a new piece of gear to feel like my life has meaning. These things now carry a 10 year warranty. Does anyone have any experience with failure of the headlight lamp itself -- especially due to hours of usage?

Never had a light emitting diode failure in any device. Diodes are more reliable than bulbs. I would expect a connection failure way before a diode failure. But at 3.7 oz this thing is way too heavy. I am a fellow gram weenie. I am also frugal. My light weighs 0.8 oz, has no batteries and cost $4.99 at Reny's. It can be bought here as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-Dynamo-Flashlight-Yellow-Assorted/dp/B00661ELMU
http://www.elementalled.com/academy/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/laborday1.jpg

1azarus
03-27-2013, 10:46
You made me laugh, Birdbrain... do you have to crank that thing while you walk, or does it just charge? I feel a joke coming on about the hiker who can't walk and crank his flashight...the thing I like about the EOS is the amazing amount of light for the weight. I do a lot of night hiking and am amazed by how easy it is to see that faint blaze in the distance... I don't know of a brighter light for the relatively light weight.

10-K
03-27-2013, 10:52
90% of my "night hiking" is between 4:00 AM and sunrise. The theory being if my light fails or I lose the trail I can just have a seat and wait for it to get daylight pretty soon.

Never had a light fail but I used to carry 2 headlamps before I decided that fell into the category of "I might need this and I might need that." - you know, after you have everything you really need but start overthinking things? :)

BirdBrain
03-27-2013, 11:02
You made me laugh, Birdbrain... do you have to crank that thing while you walk, or does it just charge? I feel a joke coming on about the hiker who can't walk and crank his flashight...the thing I like about the EOS is the amazing amount of light for the weight. I do a lot of night hiking and am amazed by how easy it is to see that faint blaze in the distance... I don't know of a brighter light for the relatively light weight.

I was not joking. This thing is amazing. 30 seconds of cranking provides 30 minutes of light. It is very bright. You would have to see it to believe it. At 0.8 oz, it could be velcroed to brim of hat for hands free operation and still weigh less than an oz. You could carry 4 of them and still weigh less than the OES. I am a gram weenie and a cheap skate. Much of what I have costs dollars and weighs less than the expensive stuff. My entire cook set weighs less than a pound and costs less than $20 (that includes fuel for up to 10 days). I am not into titanium, cuber fiber, or REI. I am into homemade, goodwill, and Wal*Mart.

Having said all this, I do not night hike. I do not know if it would be sufficient for that.

Read the reviews on Amazon. This thing really is amazing.

leaftye
03-27-2013, 11:06
I don't know of a brighter light for the relatively light weight.

If you want to stick with big brands, then Zebralight has several. If you're on a budget, then there's the Trustfire Z1 and Z2. They blow away the EOS. If you go with a flashlight, then there are so many more that I couldn't possibly list them all. The one I mentioned earlier is 1/3rd the weight, 50% brighter while simultaneously offering 50% more battery life, has better modes, is smaller, costs less and puts out a more natural light spectrum.

You can get a lot more when you move away from the big retail brands. All these lights are made in China, but the only off brand chinese lights made with plastic are the cheapest of cheap lights.

Kookork
03-27-2013, 11:07
One of the few things that I have dialed in for being ultralight but cautious is my light source. I use a Petzl e+LITE headlamp and a Coghlan's LED Micro lantern:

http://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842

They both work with the same type of battery (CR2032 (http://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842#) - 3V Button Cell x2). Both are under 1 ounce each (with battery) . I hang the lantern under the roof of my tent and leave it there during my hiking. This way I always have a reliable source of light inside the tent and never lose it.

If you purchase quality lithium batteries they last equal or better compare to AAA headlamps but are lighter. This way I have two reliable practical source of light for under 2 oz.

Oh please don't clap for me, It makes me blush.

Rain Man
03-27-2013, 11:10
I'm confused. Aren't "gram weenie" and concern for safety two contradictory concepts anyway?!

That said, my backup to my LED headlamp is an Inova Microlight button aka keyring light. I love that it brightens and dims slowly if you hold the button down. My wife was able to hike with one hanging from her sternum strap when she forgot her headlamp once.

Here's a red one (I use a white one)-- Inova Microlight (http://www.rei.com/product/838889/inova-microlight-clear-body-keychain-flashlight) .

Rain Man

BirdBrain
03-27-2013, 11:14
If a person is concerned with quality (and they should not be). you can buy 50 of these things for $13.01. Carry 4 of them for under the EOS weight.

http://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-1203-Dynamo-Flashlight-Bowl/dp/B007S3L58I

leaftye
03-27-2013, 11:14
I guess I can call my keychain light my backup light. I don't use it that way though. I hang my keychain light around my neck around noon because I tend to wait too long to pull out my flashlight. The keychain light makes it easier to find my flashlight.

leaftye
03-27-2013, 11:17
If a person is concerned with quality (and they should not be). you can buy 50 of these things for $13.01. Carry 4 of them for under the EOS weight.

26 cents a piece. I can't believe they can get the price that low. And I thought these were cheap at 38 cents each.

http://www.fasttech.com/category/1604/led-keychains

1azarus
03-27-2013, 11:28
I'm confused. Aren't "gram weenie" and concern for safety two contradictory concepts anyway?!

That said, my backup to my LED headlamp is an Inova Microlight button aka keyring light. I love that it brightens and dims slowly if you hold the button down. My wife was able to hike with one hanging from her sternum strap when she forgot her headlamp once.

Here's a red one (I use a white one)-- Inova Microlight (http://www.rei.com/product/838889/inova-microlight-clear-body-keychain-flashlight) .

Rain Man

everybody is a comedian today! and I am laughing... again. Yes, they are contradictory concepts -- but not all gram weenies are idiots. Some can have more than one thing in mind at a time. My requirements are for a lot of light at the lowest possible weight, and enough durability so I don't have to plan for failure, oh, and use of AAA batteries. ...now if I had just asked for this advice before I bought my second EOS maybe I would have tried something else!

leaftye
03-27-2013, 11:32
Sticking to AAA's instead of a single AA means everything else suffers.

fredmugs
03-27-2013, 11:47
Definition of CATASTROPHIC1 the final event of the dramatic action especially of a tragedy

2 a momentous tragic event ranging from extreme misfortune to utter overthrow or ruin

3 a violent and sudden change in a feature of the earth
b : a violent usually destructive natural event (as a supernova)

Do you work for Fox News?

Malto
03-27-2013, 11:48
90% of my "night hiking" is between 4:00 AM and sunrise. The theory being if my light fails or I lose the trail I can just have a seat and wait for it to get daylight pretty soon.

Never had a light fail but I used to carry 2 headlamps before I decided that fell into the category of "I might need this and I might need that." - you know, after you have everything you really need but start overthinking things? :)

Most of my night hiking is in this time range as well. I had my batteries fail from being left on in the pack. I discovered it as we started an early day going up Whitney. Had to wait a few minutes for daylight to catch up.

i sometime also take a spare headlamp vs batteries. One reason is that I sometimes hike with two lamps. One on visor and one on hip belt. This is generally in an area such as PA that has a lot of rocks.

staehpj1
03-27-2013, 12:02
LEDs are reliable enough that I don't feel the need for a backup. It isn't the end of the world to be without a light. Most of human history flashlights didn't exist. I think they were invented a bit over 100 years ago.

I find that a flashlight is a nice convenience, but despite being one of the "10 essentials" not an absolute necessity. I guess I just don't see how something invented a little over 100 years ago can be an absolute necessity. I typically carry a key chain light (eGear Pico) as my only light. I may be weird in that regard, but I found that when I carried a headlamp I seldom bothered to dig it out and use it. I wear the Pico on a chain around my neck so it is always handy. I tend to use it for 10 seconds here and 10 seconds there so the 15 hour battery life lasts me a very long time.

rocketsocks
03-27-2013, 12:13
I'd be curious to know if these multi lamp head lamps are wired in series or parallel?...

Lone Wolf
03-27-2013, 12:16
OMG! i can't imagine my light failing! whatever would i do? help me experts.

Kookork
03-27-2013, 12:43

That is the definition of catastrophic event LW. IF it happens, stay put, Don't panic and Call 911. if there is no cellphone available just panic and run to darkness cursing and falling intermittently. Hope that helps.

Rasty
03-27-2013, 13:17

That is the definition of catastrophic event LW. IF it happens, stay put, Don't panic and Call 911. if there is no cellphone available just panic and run to darkness cursing and falling intermittently. Hope that helps.

Close your eyes and go to sleep until first light!

BirdBrain
03-27-2013, 13:20

You are having too much fun on here.

prain4u
03-27-2013, 13:41
There are still a few things that I insist upon having some sort of spare or "backup". The two most important are: 1) A way to start a fire. 2) A source of light.

A second small lighter and a tiny "backup" flashlight weigh very little and they take up little space. Thus, (in my opinion) it is foolish to leave home without them. If someone were to encounter a "worst case scenario"--being without a means of making fire or being without a light source could make a significant difference in someone's options (and in rare instances) could impact their odds of survival. Therefore, I carry a backup light and a tiny backup flashlight

prain4u
03-27-2013, 13:43
A meant to say: "Therefore, I carry a backup LIGHTER and a tiny backup flashlight".

WalksInDark
03-27-2013, 18:16
+1 For the Photon Freedom Micro as a backup light.

Had an LED headlight failure (the plastic "keeper" on the battery pack cover broke...and the cover fell into deep snow while hiking in a simultaneous whiteout, sneet ---snow and sleet-- storm; with full fog cover. I could barely see my feet after my headlight went out. Oh yeah, it was 2 a.m. and I had already been backpacking for 4 hours.

Putting the Freedom micro between my teeth (yep, you are going to have aching jaws and saliva down your front if you do this for very long), I was able to use my compass to hike the next 2 hours back to my car.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2013, 19:24
I use the photon freedom as my only light most of the time. With hat clip, its 0.34 oz.

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2013, 19:37
I was not joking. This thing is amazing. 30 seconds of cranking provides 30 minutes of light. It is very bright. You would have to see it to believe it. At 0.8 oz, it could be velcroed to brim of hat for hands free operation and still weigh less than an oz. You could carry 4 of them and still weigh less than the OES. I am a gram weenie and a cheap skate. Much of what I have costs dollars and weighs less than the expensive stuff. My entire cook set weighs less than a pound and costs less than $20 (that includes fuel for up to 10 days). I am not into titanium, cuber fiber, or REI. I am into homemade, goodwill, and Wal*Mart.

Having said all this, I do not night hike. I do not know if it would be sufficient for that.

Read the reviews on Amazon. This thing really is amazing.

UH no... look these things generally suck IMO.

Crusinsusan
03-27-2013, 20:44
Why owl? The reviews on amazon are very positive. I'm considering it and I'd like to know why you don't like them.

FWIW, I don't "hike" at night....but there are some calls of nature.

fiddlehead
03-27-2013, 20:50
If you are going to carry a backup flashlight, what about the important things in your pack: backup sleeping bag? tent? stove?
I don't get it.
What do you even need a flashlight for?

I carry a small Photon II and use it mainly for finding things in my pack (that I forgot to put in their regular place when I was drunk or something)
They weigh 1/5 of an oz, are reliable and I've had one last me 2 thru-hikes already.

I don't understand this need for all the lights.
When it's dark out, I'm sleeping.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2013, 21:06
for 14 years of AT hiking i used candles for reading. never had a battery powered light. i don't see the need for some fancy $40 light

The Ace
03-27-2013, 21:25
If you are going to carry a backup flashlight, what about the important things in your pack: backup sleeping bag? tent? stove?
I don't get it.
What do you even need a flashlight for?

I carry a small Photon II and use it mainly for finding things in my pack (that I forgot to put in their regular place when I was drunk or something)
They weigh 1/5 of an oz, are reliable and I've had one last me 2 thru-hikes already.

I don't understand this need for all the lights.
When it's dark out, I'm sleeping.

Because I have to wear progressive lenses and I cannot adjust my Princeton Tec headband light far enough at a downward angle so that I can read through the bottom section of my lenses. I was going to have cataract surgery on both eyes, but then I discovered that each new artificial lens implant weighs 3.6 grams more than the remains of my existing, dried out, diseased natural lens. So, that’s 7.2 grams versus 7.0 grams for the Photon Freedom Micro-light. It was really an easy decision . . . . .

gpburdelljr
03-27-2013, 23:43
[QUOTE=BirdBrain;1450097]If a person is concerned with quality (and they should not be). you can buy 50 of these things for $13.01. Carry 4 of them for under the EOS weight.
You can buy one for $6.35, but can get 50 for $13.01? Am I missing something?

leaftye
03-28-2013, 00:25

Most of the cost goes towards shipping and handling at multiple stages. These lights cost pennies, but you can't get it shipped to you for pennies. Maybe a little over a buck if you order directly from China, but not much less.

gpburdelljr
03-28-2013, 00:32
Most of the cost goes towards shipping and handling at multiple stages. These lights cost pennies, but you can't get it shipped to you for pennies. Maybe a little over a buck if you order directly from China, but not much less.

I think the $13.01 for 50 of the Coughlan's dynamo flashlights is a mistake. In other places on the internet I have found the full jar of 50 for $170 to $180. Another place I found 1 out of a jar of 50, where they stated it had no packaging since it was from a jar, for a little over $5. I think the price of $13.01 for a jar of 50 is a mistake, or misleading advertising.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 00:43

All I can say is I love my 0.8 oz light.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 00:45
for 14 years of AT hiking i used candles for reading. never had a battery powered light. i don't see the need for some fancy $40 light

I am going to agree with you on this one... to a point. I will, however, pay $5 for one that does not need batteries and weighs less than an oz.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 00:48
[QUOTE=BirdBrain;1450097]If a person is concerned with quality (and they should not be). you can buy 50 of these things for $13.01. Carry 4 of them for under the EOS weight.

Just this:

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 00:55
I think the $13.01 for 50 of the Coughlan's dynamo flashlights is a mistake. In other places on the internet I have found the full jar of 50 for $170 to $180. Another place I found 1 out of a jar of 50, where they stated it had no packaging since it was from a jar, for a little over $5. I think the price of $13.01 for a jar of 50 is a mistake, or misleading advertising.

Your instincts may be correct. I bought mine at Reny's for $4.99. It is an amazing critter.

leaftye
03-28-2013, 01:07

No mistake. You have no idea how cheap things are when they're made in China. You guys are really leaving a lot on the table when you pay $30+ for such incredibly mediocre lights.

Browse these sites for a while and you'll learn a lot. Keep in mind that the price of shipping is included on these sites.

www.dx.com
www.fasttech.com
www.lightscastle.com
www.tmart.com

I've ordered from all of these sites. All these sites are reputable and your purchases are buffered/protected by paypal.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 01:14
No mistake. You have no idea how cheap things are when they're made in China. You guys are really leaving a lot on the table when you pay $30+ for such incredibly mediocre lights.

Browse these sites for a while and you'll learn a lot. Keep in mind that the price of shipping is included on these sites.

www.dx.com (http://www.dx.com)
www.fasttech.com (http://www.fasttech.com)
www.lightscastle.com (http://www.lightscastle.com)
www.tmart.com (http://www.tmart.com)

I've ordered from all of these sites. All these sites are reputable and your purchases are buffered/protected by paypal.

I fully agree. I will not pay $50 for a light. It is a huge mistake to assume that UL comes only at a premium. Most of my gram weenie stuff is free (make it your self out of junk) or a couple bucks. I could give many examples from my 10 cent stove to my home made reflectix for FBC.

rocketsocks
03-28-2013, 01:14

www.dx.com (http://www.dx.com)
www.fasttech.com (http://www.fasttech.com)
www.lightscastle.com (http://www.lightscastle.com)
www.tmart.com (http://www.tmart.com)

I've ordered from all of these sites. All these sites are reputable and your purchases are buffered/protected by paypal............................................ ........

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 01:16
.................................................. .

Oh ya!? .................................................. ...................

rocketsocks
03-28-2013, 01:20
Oh ya!? .................................................. ...................Right, I already saw 10 items cheaper than I've ever seen before.........thanks Leaftye........bookmarked

leaftye
03-28-2013, 01:46
If you're actually going to order, keep in mind that deliveries can take a while, usually due to customs. Don't be surprised if your items take a little over a month to arrive. Fasttech is usually faster though, sometimes much faster. My first order with them took 8 calendar days, and it looks like I'll get another order tomorrow after just 7 days. That's blazing fast for China orders.

If you're curious, here's what I ordered.

oLight s10
$32.50 with "pricecontrol" coupon code
320 lumens, but exceeds this in testing while providing 1 hour of battery life in this highest setting.
41 grams, 59 grams with a battery.
It has a clip that can to used to attach it to the brim of a hat to make it into a headlamp...at least I hope it works out like that.
The lowest mode starts low enough that it wouldn't be blinding in a bivy in the middle of the night, and the battery life is measured in weeks.
Lots of other benefits that you can read in this review. Even so, you might not understand the benefits until you've played with a few lights, like the side clicky, tail standing, lanyard hole layout, reverse clip, anodized threads, and several more.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344172-Olight-S10-Baton-(XM-L-1xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

rocketsocks
03-28-2013, 01:52
If you're actually going to order, keep in mind that deliveries can take a while, usually due to customs. Don't be surprised if your items take a little over a month to arrive. Fasttech is usually faster though, sometimes much faster. My first order with them took 8 calendar days, and it looks like I'll get another order tomorrow after just 7 days. That's blazing fast for China orders.

If you're curious, here's what I ordered.

oLight s10
$32.50 with "pricecontrol" coupon code
320 lumens, but exceeds this in testing while providing 1 hour of battery life in this highest setting.
41 grams, 59 grams with a battery.
It has a clip that can to used to attach it to the brim of a hat to make it into a headlamp...at least I hope it works out like that.
The lowest mode starts low enough that it wouldn't be blinding in a bivy in the middle of the night, and the battery life is measured in weeks.
Lots of other benefits that you can read in this review. Even so, you might not understand the benefits until you've played with a few lights, like the side clicky, tail standing, lanyard hole layout, reverse clip, anodized threads, and several more.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344172-Olight-S10-Baton-(XM-L-1xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!
Cool, no i really don't know what all that means, I'll just assume it's bright and can be focused, i'm not a gram guy...though lately have been considering weight more and more as it is directly proportional to the pain I feel in my arse.....

a luxury item on my radar(back burner) is a monocular, just not in the market right now...one day.

leaftye
03-28-2013, 02:06
It's going to be bright. I'm not sure what you mean by focused. Like a Maglite? No, it doesn't do that. Zooming doesn't work well with LEDs, and although it can be done, it's very inefficient.

That light is heavier than I'd like, but it has a very very low mode, a side clickie and it's bright. The light below, which I have a variation of, is much lighter. It's not as bright, but still bright. I don't like how inconvenient it is to turn to the highest mode though.
http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L10-Black-Cree-XPG2-p277.html

I've thought about a monocular too, but good ones are expensive and heavy. It's enough to make me consider a superzoom camera. Those things can zoom further than any monocular. One of these days I'll really take a hard look at it. Please start a thread when you get around to buying one.

rocketsocks
03-28-2013, 02:10
It's going to be bright. I'm not sure what you mean by focused. Like a Maglite? No, it doesn't do that. Zooming doesn't work well with LEDs, and although it can be done, it's very inefficient.

That light is heavier than I'd like, but it has a very very low mode, a side clickie and it's bright. The light below, which I have a variation of, is much lighter. It's not as bright, but still bright. I don't like how inconvenient it is to turn to the highest mode though.
http://www.sbflashlights.com/L3-Illumination/L3-Illumination-L10-Black-Cree-XPG2-p277.html

I've thought about a monocular too, but good ones are expensive and heavy. It's enough to make me consider a superzoom camera. Those things can zoom further than any monocular. One of these days I'll really take a hard look at it. Please start a thread when you get around to buying one.good deal, yes a new thread on that sometime, absolutely!

Bronk
03-28-2013, 07:13
I had a Petzel Zipka for over 7 years...I used it for a reading light for probably 2 to 4 hours a day on most days when I wasn't camping...many times I fell asleep with it on. So hours of daily use over 7 years and the LEDs never burned out. I finally had to replace it because I had a loft bed and several times I dropped it and it hit the floor from 8ft in the air...eventually the case was cracked to the point where the batteries wouldn't stay in right. They are like Bic lighters, you're going to do something to it before it reaches the end of its useful life.

Crusinsusan
03-29-2013, 00:42
Thanks owl!

leaftye
03-29-2013, 01:14
Fwiw, I got my oLight S10 today. I had very high expectations for this light. Much more so than I think most UL'rs have for their lights. The review I linked to and the spec sheet seemed to satisfy most of my wishes, and now that the light is in my hands, it seems like it'll live up to all my expectations.

Up front I'll state my wishes that it doesn't satisfy. I wish it was also an angle light, smaller while using an AA/14500, and weighed much less. I knew the design of this light did not satisfy those wishes, but it still checked off enough of my wish list that I bought it anyway.

I'll probably do a rough review of this flashlight after I get to use it for a couple weeks.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 01:20
I found a cute little crank flashlight in a shelter along the LT this summer. It broke shortly after finding it...

Swordpen
03-29-2013, 01:54
I've thought about a monocular too, but good ones are expensive and heavy. It's enough to make me consider a superzoom camera. Those things can zoom further than any monocular. One of these days I'll really take a hard look at it. Please start a thread when you get around to buying one.

I have this monocular Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Monocular (5x10 T MiniQuick) this is a really really good moncular. Pricey, but I love it: weighs 0.7 oz, or 20 grams.

I bought this at Cabelas, its also at Amazon.

leaftye
03-29-2013, 02:02
Swordpen, I find the pricing shocking, but the weight is great. I want to try one out. That might convince me it's worth the extra money.

Dobie Swift
03-29-2013, 05:28
You can buy one for $6.35, but can get 50 for $13.01? Am I missing something?Read the Customer Questions and Answers section on the amazon.com page... you only get 1 for $13.01, not 50.

10-K
03-29-2013, 06:04
I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K5C2EG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

iTP A3 EOS - upgraded 96 lumen version.

Leaftye, I found this in a review and was wondering what the result would be if I used an AAA lithium - do you know?

I did a bit of research and found that the LED in this light is a Cree XP-G R5. This LED is rated for up to 493 lumens at 4.9 watts, so the iTP light is only running at 20% its rated capacity. This is good, since it will extend the LED lifetime, and it means you can cram a lot more power through it if you need extra brightness (and don't mind overheating since there's no heat sink). The XP-G R5 is rated at an efficiency of 141 lumens per watt at 350mA, which is more than twice the XR-E Q5 found in the AA UltraFire light I linked above (rated at 60 lumens per watt). It's also twice the efficiency of fluorescent lights, which is an impressive feat.

leaftye
03-29-2013, 06:05
Read the Customer Questions and Answers section on the amazon.com page... you only get 1 for $13.01, not 50.

The reviewer calls it a $6 light. Something is wrong there.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2013, 06:08
headlights are a want not a need.

10-K
03-29-2013, 06:11

I would agree with that - the same way band-aids and a little tube of Neosporin isn't a need but I'd never go on a hike without that.

leaftye
03-29-2013, 06:45
I just bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006K5C2EG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Leaftye, I found this in a review and was wondering what the result would be if I used an AAA lithium - do you know?

I did a bit of research and found that the LED in this light is a Cree XP-G R5. This LED is rated for up to 493 lumens at 4.9 watts, so the iTP light is only running at 20% its rated capacity. This is good, since it will extend the LED lifetime, and it means you can cram a lot more power through it if you need extra brightness (and don't mind overheating since there's no heat sink). The XP-G R5 is rated at an efficiency of 141 lumens per watt at 350mA, which is more than twice the XR-E Q5 found in the AA UltraFire light I linked above (rated at 60 lumens per watt). It's also twice the efficiency of fluorescent lights, which is an impressive feat.

Sorry, I don't know about much AAA lights. They don't have much interest for me. I tried looking for more info. There were a lot of reviews for the version that came out a few years ago, but the updated versions of this light seem to have been largely ignored. I didn't see any reviews with a Energizer Lithium non-rechargeable lithium battery, but I suspect is would be slightly brighter than the nimh batteries that were used in most reviews. I saw some reviews that say it can work with a rechargeable lithium ion 10440 battery. Do remember that the 10440 will require special handling. The weight and modes of this light look. It's a twisty, which can be cumbersome, so make sure that will fit how you want to use this light. I have a AA flashlight that's just about my perfect backpacking flashlight, but switching modes is going to take longer than I'd like. The keychain loop makes it impossible to tail stand the A3 EOS, and tail standing can be a big deal, although probably not so much while backpacking because everything is tilted and bumpy.

As I said, I don't know much about AAA lights, but I see the Tank007 E09 mentioned a lot. They are pretty similar, but the E09 is bigger and 3 grams heavier. I recall some folks claiming there's a better light. I'll try to find out what that was. For now, the following review compares the A3 EOS and E09 much better than I can do.
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/9027

I didn't catch if either light is fully regulated, and I swear you've previously said you strongly preferred full regulation.

The LED being used at a low capacity can mean a few things. First is that LED's tend to be more efficient at lower levels. They also tend to put out a different color than their spec sheet says at lower levels, so it really helps to read reviews by people that have enough lights that they can comment about tint. I don't think lower power levels will result in longer LED life, at least it's probably not something you'd get to appreciate it before you otherwise destroy or lose this light.

XM-L is bigger, and better for floodier lights
XP-G is smaller, and has longer throw
XR-E is even smaller, and is generally considered the best for throw, but it isn't as efficient

Flood and throw are based mostly on reflector size diameter, and are separate from how much light they put out. It's about where it points the light. Bigger LED's require a bigger reflector to focus the light and throw the light as far as a smaller LED in a smaller reflector. If taken to the extreme, an XM-L in a small reflector will be very floody, and an XR-E in a big reflector will throw really far.

10-K
03-29-2013, 07:20
Thanks for the detailed info... More than enough to keep me busy. :)

Malto
03-29-2013, 07:41

So are shoes

1azarus
03-29-2013, 07:50

very nice,10k... will this be your backup or only light? ...I'm pretty sure you walk in the dark more than I do...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

BirdBrain
03-29-2013, 07:53
Read the Customer Questions and Answers section on the amazon.com page... you only get 1 for $13.01, not 50.

I read the questions and answers section. One guy says there are 50. The 50 was not my point though. I paid $4.99 for mine. My point was that it weighs 0.8 oz, it doesn't need batteries, and that you don't have to pay $50 for an item like this. The OP has specific needs. My light may not serve that purpose. I can tell you as an owner of one of these things, it gives off plenty of light for what I need and it ain't junk. Again, if a person was concerned with quality, take 2. I am not trying to sell these. Everyone has an opinion. It is just my opinion that sufficient and lightweight does not have to equal expensive. If you are willing to pay $50 for a light, how much will all the gear cost? I, for one, don't have enough for titanium, cuber fiber, and $50 lights. God has obviously blessed those those that do.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2013, 08:33
So are shoes

really. how much have you hiked? i'd like to see you go for a walk right now barefoot in the smokys

1azarus
03-29-2013, 09:10
really. how much have you hiked? i'd like to see you go for a walk right now barefoot in the smokys

finally!!! worthy adversaries. Better than Sherlock Holmes and Moriarity. (spelling?)

Malto
03-29-2013, 10:25

And let's see you night hike in PA without a headlamp on a cloudy night. The right tools for the right job!

10-K
03-29-2013, 10:28
I hike in the dark a lot so I always carry a headlamp.

On another level I also consider it a form of emergency preparedness.

If something bad were to happen at home such as an accident involving my wife or children I would want to be able to doubletime it and not have to stop when it got dark.

That's just me. To each his own.

atraildreamer
03-29-2013, 10:30
Mechanical failure (latches, switches, etc.) or failure of electronics other than the LED is more likely than failure of the LED, unless the LED is being overdriven or overheated. Like other electronics, if it's going to fail it's more likely in the first few hours.

Harbor Freight LED flashlight...free with the coupon. Very bright, if you lose or break it, so what...the price is right.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 10:43

The evening I found myself 1.5 miles from the road, in Febuary, on a trail of mixed rock and ice, with out my headlight, I really wanted one :) Did I need one? Apparently not, but the hike out would have been a heck of a lot easier and been a heck of a lot quicker had I had one. Actually, at that point I would have settled for any kind of flashlight. [I had apparently missed packing up my headlamp in the morning when I left camp]

daddytwosticks
03-29-2013, 10:46
How about one of those carbide gas headlamps the miners and cavers use? Really old school. I can see your new trail name now...Gashead. :)

leaftye
03-29-2013, 10:56
I mostly like to have a really bright flashlight. Fortunately that doesn't require that much money, bulk or weight. The amount of light I need is a keychain light that's almost dead.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 10:58
I made my own headlamp with a 1 watt GREEN LED. That thing really lights up the woods. It's really effective in the winter as the snow doesn't reflect the green light back into your eyes as much as white light does. It's powered by four AAA batteries with a PWM (Pulse width modulated) supply for high efficentcy and has four intensity settings. The power supply is built into an Altoids tin, so it isn't real small or light, but it is effective.

atraildreamer
03-29-2013, 18:39
I made my own headlamp with a 1 watt GREEN LED. That thing really lights up the woods. It's really effective in the winter as the snow doesn't reflect the green light back into your eyes as much as white light does. It's powered by four AAA batteries with a PWM (Pulse width modulated) supply for high efficentcy and has four intensity settings. The power supply is built into an Altoids tin, so it isn't real small or light, but it is effective.

Can you post the schematic with some pics?

Kookork
03-29-2013, 20:09
I searched the internet and found this info about batteries and their weight and capacity , I think some of you may be interested :

Capacity: Alkaline
AA battery: 1800-2600 mAh
AAA battery : 1000-1200 mAh
CR 2032 : 220 mAh

Weight:
AA : alkaline 23 gram
Lithium 15 gram
Rechargeable 31 gram

AAA: alkaline 11.3 gram
Lithium 7.6 gram
Rechargeable 15 gram

CR 2032 weight: 3.2 gram

Ps: 2032 means that the diameter is 20 mm and the thickness is 3.2 mm

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 20:25
Can you post the schematic with some pics?

I deleted the web page showing the actual headlamp and modifications I did for use with the green led, as the one I used is no longer available. But here's a white paper on the design of the PWM switching regulator, both for boost (using a single 1.5V battery) and buck (using 4, 1.5V batteries). http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/tiny13switcher.pdf

Heres a photo of the set up:

LIhikers
03-30-2013, 10:49
I have a Princeton Tec Apex Pro that had the battery cover latch fail (plastic broke).........

I had the same thing happen and decided that I didn't want to have to worry about that again so I switched to a different headlamp. The Princeton Tec Quad cover has a real hinge along one edge and is held closed, along the other edge, with a small thumb screw.

atraildreamer
03-30-2013, 11:42
I deleted the web page showing the actual headlamp and modifications I did for use with the green led, as the one I used is no longer available. But here's a white paper on the design of the PWM switching regulator, both for boost (using a single 1.5V battery) and buck (using 4, 1.5V batteries). http://kd1jv.qrpradio.com/tiny13switcher.pdf

Heres a photo of the set up:

Thanks for the information!

I am going to add empty Altoids tins to the list of indispensible things a handyman must have...along with duct tape, WD-40 and a SAK!

MuddyWaters
03-30-2013, 15:14
Many hikers are in bed before it gets real dark
The only significant need for a light is to take a midnight pee on a moonless night
At least thats mostly what I use mine for
That and finding my earplugs sometimes if they roll away.

I cant justify brining 1/4 lb of lighting normally.
If I wanted to night hike, I would bring my zebralight H51 though. But I wouldnt bring the strap, just clip it to pack belt so it points ahead at ground

staehpj1
04-06-2013, 14:47
If something bad were to happen at home such as an accident involving my wife or children I would want to be able to doubletime it and not have to stop when it got dark.

That got me thinking; usually a bad thing...

Anyway my take on that is that an LED failure is a rare event to start with, an emergency at home that I could actually rush home and do something about is a rare event, me having a cell signal while backpacking is a rare event, me calling home is less rare, but still not all that frequent of an event. All those events lining up and me needing a spare light to double time home in the dark is such an unlikely event that I think it can reasonably be ignored in planning.

Just me though. I am not knocking it if you want to carry a spare, but I definitely do not consider it reckless not to.

Tipi Walter
04-06-2013, 15:21
Putting the Freedom micro between my teeth (yep, you are going to have aching jaws and saliva down your front if you do this for very long), I was able to use my compass to hike the next 2 hours back to my car.

Drooling? Real men are good at drooling cuz real men used Mini Mag flashlights and held them between their lips for hours at a time.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Pisgah-Upper-Creek/i-MGTmz6S/0/L/Johnny%20B%20gets%20to%20Pisgah%20Camp%20at%20nigh t%20and%20sets%20up%20the%20tent-L.jpg
This is my buddy Johnny Be on Upper Creek in Pisgah NF when I fotoged him after a nighthike thru the gorge in '86 with his trusty mini-mag light, a real piece of crap when compared to a good Petzl headlamp. I went thru a black one, a blue one and a red one. At the time it was the best flashlight a backpacker could carry. The tiny bulbs burned out constantly and you'd either drop the spare bulb or drop the spring or not be able to get the little bulb wires into their two little holes at night in a twisted rage. Fun item.

stumpknocker
04-06-2013, 18:19
Drooling? Real men are good at drooling cuz real men used Mini Mag flashlights and held them between their lips for hours at a time.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/BooneYears/Pisgah-Upper-Creek/i-MGTmz6S/0/L/Johnny%20B%20gets%20to%20Pisgah%20Camp%20at%20nigh t%20and%20sets%20up%20the%20tent-L.jpg
This is my buddy Johnny Be on Upper Creek in Pisgah NF when I fotoged him after a nighthike thru the gorge in '86 with his trusty mini-mag light, a real piece of crap when compared to a good Petzl headlamp. I went thru a black one, a blue one and a red one. At the time it was the best flashlight a backpacker could carry. The tiny bulbs burned out constantly and you'd either drop the spare bulb or drop the spring or not be able to get the little bulb wires into their two little holes at night in a twisted rage. Fun item.

I feel like I'm living in 1986 after your post. :)

I carry a smaller version of the old Mini-Mag lite...a Fenix LD01. It uses one AAA battery and weighs 1 oz with the battery.

I do hold it in my mouth at times doing tasks, but when I'm walking in the dark, I hold it in my right hand like a smoker holds a cigarette. I use hiking poles too and it works way better for me than any of my headlamps ever did. I can clip it on my the bill of my hat if I want, but rarely feel the need to do that.

I even EDC the thing when I'm not on a long walk.