PDA

View Full Version : can you camp anywhere?

mdj05f
03-27-2013, 09:28
I'm planning our itinerary and in my guidebook there are places that just say campsites. Are those designated places you have to camp other than shelters? Or can you camp anywhere? If it's relevant, we will be in hammocks. I'm trying to plan out our days and wasn't sure if I should be planning around those campsite areas or if it matters.

Thanks!

WingedMonkey
03-27-2013, 09:44
Where ya hiking?

mdj05f
03-27-2013, 10:00
thru-hiking. So I guess my question applies to the whole trail. But I'm specifically planning out GA right now.

Storm
03-27-2013, 10:04
Except in some parks camp where you want. Better to camp where sites are already established but in either case leave no trace.

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 10:06
You can legally hang just about anywhere. The Campsite designation just means that there is a (usually) obvious campsite in that location. It's helpful for planning ("hey, there's camping near a creek 10 miles ahead") but it's not required or anything.

There are some places where backcountry camping is more regulated -- the Smokies, Shenandoah. You'll know when you get there.

mdj05f
03-27-2013, 10:09
Great thanks!

mtntopper
03-27-2013, 10:14
You can legally hang just about anywhere. The Campsite designation just means that there is a (usually) obvious campsite in that location. It's helpful for planning ("hey, there's camping near a creek 10 miles ahead") but it's not required or anything.

There are some places where backcountry camping is more regulated -- the Smokies, Shenandoah. You'll know when you get there.

There are many places along the trail that you are not allowed to camp. Any section that falls under the control of the National Park Service prohibits camping in areas there are not established campsites by NPS or ATC. There are signs posted usually in these areas and at the point where you enter NPS controlled areas. It is just not SNP and GSMNP. Just be aware of the signs. Most good guide books list these areas as well.

GoldenBear
03-27-2013, 10:34
There is SOME regulation involving back-country camping with SNP, but not a lot.

1) You have to register yourself when you enter the Park. It's free, the kiosk is right on the Trail, and you can register 24/365.
The sheet asks you WHERE you will be back-country camping, but you can simply put "Thru-hiker" if that is, indeed, what you are doing.
2) There are certain places you can not camp along the Trail, but these are pretty easy to follow. The main ones: at least .25 miles from a paved road, .25 miles from a developed area, and 100 yards from a shelter.
3) No back-country fires - period.

More details here:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm

GoldenBear
03-27-2013, 10:41
In Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut; camping and fires are permitted ONLY at designated sites.

Coosa
03-27-2013, 10:51
The Guidebook states that one 'must' camp in designated sites and shelters in Maryland ... but they're close enough together that you can easily make it from one to another. And trees abound, so hammock hanging is easily accomplished.

Just check your guidebooks for 'instructions' ...

Now, as far as Georgia goes, one can camp anywhere in the Chattahoochee National Forest ... please practice LNT and remember ... the black bears are on the prowl right now, so hang your bear bags [use of Odor Proof Sacks recommended about 200 feet from where you sleep and eat ... if at all possible.

Good luck and have a fantastic time ... I used to live in North Georgia and in my not too humble opinion the Trail there is beautiful. :D

Coosa

Cookerhiker
03-27-2013, 10:54
There are many places along the trail that you are not allowed to camp. Any section that falls under the control of the National Park Service prohibits camping in areas there are not established campsites by NPS or ATC. There are signs posted usually in these areas and at the point where you enter NPS controlled areas. It is just not SNP and GSMNP. Just be aware of the signs. Most good guide books list these areas as well.

Not true in SNP. There are restrictions (see post below) but there's no requirement that you only must camp in "established campsites." The Park as well as LNT principles encourage use of existing campsites but it's not an SNP requirement.

There is SOME regulation involving back-country camping with SNP, but not a lot.

1) You have to register yourself when you enter the Park. It's free, the kiosk is right on the Trail, and you can register 24/365.
The sheet asks you WHERE you will be back-country camping, but you can simply put "Thru-hiker" if that is, indeed, what you are doing.
2) There are certain places you can not camp along the Trail, but these are pretty easy to follow. The main ones: at least .25 miles from a paved road, .25 miles from a developed area, and 100 yards from a shelter.
3) No back-country fires - period.

More details here:
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_permit.htm

Slo-go'en
03-27-2013, 10:58
With some exceptions, camping is allowed anywhere along the trail. So, the question is really one of "Is this a good place to camp?" The answer to that is often "No". It shouldn't take too long to learn what makes for a good place and what makes a bad place.

coach lou
03-27-2013, 11:02
In Maryland, New Jersey, and Connecticut; camping and fires are permitted ONLY at designated sites.
There are NO spots on the AT in NJ or Ct that fires are legally permitted.

GoldenBear
03-27-2013, 13:16
There are NO spots on the AT in NJ or Ct that fires are legally permitted.

Coach Lou is 100% correct -- my initial post was misleading at best, and just plain wrong is a better description.

chief
03-27-2013, 22:34
if you intend to hang your hammocks, you'll want to camp in the vicinity of trees.