PDA

View Full Version : Trimpi to Thomas Knob conditions

Majortrauma
03-27-2013, 10:25
I "planned" to hike from Trimpi to Thomas Knob 3-7 April but seems weather is deal breaker and trail is awful at elevation towards Mt Grayson. Park Rep at Grayson said there is almost a foot of snow up there. Any comments will be appreciated.

mtntopper
03-27-2013, 10:33
Suppose to warm up this weekend soom. The white stuff will be melting. The trail will be wet and sloppy in places with some ice and lingering snow.

Lone Wolf
03-27-2013, 10:35
10 day forecast

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Grayson+Highlands+State+Park+VA+GRAYSONHIV:13:US

Majortrauma
03-27-2013, 10:51
It's warming up but not a lot and that's a lot of snow to melt and with sloppy conditions, wet feet and cold (44f) weather makes for a bad hike it seems. I have a 10 girl who has never hiked but has been training with her dad who is experienced and my 13 yr old daughter who has hiked a lot with me (200+ miles) and 4 teen boys ranging from 14-18 going with me and one other adult.
Thanks LW.

Chaco Taco
03-27-2013, 20:48
You would be surprised how quickly 44 F will melt snow. By April, there wont be any snow down there unless something else pops up in the forecast.

It's warming up but not a lot and that's a lot of snow to melt and with sloppy conditions, wet feet and cold (44f) weather makes for a bad hike it seems. I have a 10 girl who has never hiked but has been training with her dad who is experienced and my 13 yr old daughter who has hiked a lot with me (200+ miles) and 4 teen boys ranging from 14-18 going with me and one other adult.
Thanks LW.