PDA

View Full Version : what should I have in my "first aid kit"?

Popnfrsh24
03-27-2013, 13:36
Hey Guys,

I am about to head out for my Appalachian trail adventure! I am leaving on April 15th, and the only thing I have left to do is to get my the final odds and ends together before I head out to the trail. That being said, what kind of stuff should I bring in my "first aid kit"? I am going hiking with basically no backpacking experience, basically I am just trying to walk in my shoes as much as I can before I actually head out there in order to hopefully prevent some chafing. That being said, should I invest in getting some anti chafing stuff to start off this trail with? I was thinking about just carrying this stuff

30ish pills of Ibruprofen
month supply of Glucosamine condroitin
100 % deet
bandaids
duct tape

Do you guys think I should get some neosporin or body glide to help with chafing? You guys have any other suggestions on what to bring along?

thanks,

richmondhokie
03-27-2013, 13:51
....... I was thinking about just carrying this stuff

30ish pills of Ibruprofen
month supply of Glucosamine condroitin
100 % deet
bandaids
duct tape

Do you guys think I should get some neosporin or body glide to help with chafing? You guys have any other suggestions on what to bring along?

thanks,

Body glide - will help prevent those pack rubs
Neosporin will help heal pack rubs not prevented with bodyglide
Moleskin - add it
Anti-diarrhea medicine

I carry more - but that's is just me - i am a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy

Stir Fry
03-27-2013, 13:53
Duct tape and a couple of packages of antibodies is about all I take any more. Maybe I have been lucky but that's all I have used in 4 yr.

jdc5294
03-27-2013, 17:03
I had one of those 2 person first aid kits they sell at WalMart that come in the yellow waterproof bags, but I only ever used the Ibuprofen and moleskin. I only ever got one hotspot, but I guess everyone's feet are different. I maintain that if you really look for the right pair of shoes and keep your feet dry blisters won't be a thing but I tend to get shouted at by people with blister problems.

tiptoe
03-27-2013, 17:27
An Ace bandage, maybe?

RedBeerd
03-27-2013, 17:33
Vitamin I, duct tape, liquid skin, triple antibiotic and rash cream, a little gauze and tape and some bandages. I also carry one serving of multiple meds such as claritin, a sleep aid, pepto, oxy etc. I also carry this little plastic eye wash thingy cause multiple times something gets in my eye and it just helps..

Everyones varies based on their comfort level but my kit is 5.5oz and I'm cool with that

RedBeerd
03-27-2013, 17:34
And anti chaffe doesn't go in my first aid. It goes in the pocket with easiest access..

mountain squid
03-27-2013, 17:55
needle - for draining blisters
hand sanitizer
sunscreen - no leaves on the trees
and, yes to Body Glide

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

Rocket Jones
03-27-2013, 18:00
I carry a couple of coughdrops too. Not for me, but for that annoying companion who's keeping me awake. LOL

WalksInDark
03-27-2013, 18:20
10-15 Benadryl tablets can save the day if you get: an allergic reaction to food, clothes, plants; an insect sting; or if you just have trouble falling asleep.

Another Kevin
03-27-2013, 19:20
Hmm ...

My kit has an eye toward giving me enough to get off trail. In most cases I presume a 24-hour supply will get me to a trailhead somewhere.

Ibuprofen - 12 200 mg tablets. I usually carry a few more because, clueless weekender that I am, I frequently need a little at night because I'm overdoing.

Acetaminophen - 8 325 mg tablets. Used in alternation with the ibuprofen for pain. They're not synergistic, and the acetaminophen can cover breakthrough pain if the ibuprofen is wearing off before it's time for the next acetaminophen dose.

Diphenhydramine - 8-12 25 mg tablets. This drug does multple duty. 25-50 mg every 4-6 hours for allergies, or 50 mg 30 min before bedtime as a sleeping pill, or a 25-50 mg every 6-8 hiurs as an antinauseal, I often don't carry a newer-generation antihistamine (H1 blocker) because it doesn't have the other effects, and I'll just put up with the sedative side effect of the diphenhydramine.

Famotidine - 1 20 mg tablet per day that I'm out, plus 2 extras. 20 mg every 12 hours, paired with the diphenhydramine, for allergic reactions. The H2 blocker potentiates the other antihistamine. I also need this one daily at dinnertime for acid reflux. (It doesn't bother me when I'm up, but lying down with a full stomach, I need it.)

Bismuth subsalicylate - 8 262 mg tablets. For tummy troubles.

Loperamide - 4 2 mg tablets. In case I really need to quiet a case of the runs. I try to avoid this since it can make dysentery worse even though it suppresses the major symptom. But sometimes you need to ride a bus or something.

Triple antibiotic ointment

1-2 large gauze squares.

3-4 Band-aids

Tweezers

Duct tape. I carry a few feet wound on a trekking pole, for this and for that.

Bandana. Also rides elsewhere in my pack.

CPR mask and nitrile gloves.

Odd Man Out
03-27-2013, 19:37
I like Vaseline. Good for chafing, "diaper rash", fire starter, etc...

+1 on the needle. take some thread too to make the needle multi purpose.

Have you considered Picaridin rather than DEET for insects. It is less irritating on the skin, odorless, and won't damage synthetic fabrics. It is the only substance shown to be as effective as DEET.

If you are using that much Ibuprofen, then slow down and smell the roses.

Fingernail clippers (I got to keep my toe nails trimmed very precisely - not too long or short - or the toes get infected - YMMV)

Tick removing tool (ticks are way more dangerous than bears).

I bring baby aspirin and acid blockers, but that's just me - heart disease and acid reflux run in the family.

I have not used the liquid skin yet, but will on the next trip due to many good reviews.

Del Q
03-27-2013, 20:39
A thru hiker told me years ago, duct tape and antibiotic ointment.

Kind of agree, never too far away from a town on the AT

MuddyWaters
03-27-2013, 21:59
Benadryl 2 days worth
Loperamide 3 days worth
Ibuprofen 3 days worth
Tylenol 3 days worth

Needle
Several feet unwaxed dental floss
6 ft duct tape
couple bandaids
couple butterfly closures
Couple 2" gauze pads
very small amt moleskin (never have needed)
couple of triple antibiotic ointment packets
couple of alcohol prep wipes
Real tweezers (SAK tweezers are beyond useless)
Small amt of hydropel

aviator60
03-27-2013, 22:41
I've read several first aid posts and taken particular note that no one else seems to carry hemostatic agents. Maybe I'm paranoid because I hike with my 6 year old a lot but I want to be able to prevent moderate injury from turning into major catastrophe.

SMSP
03-28-2013, 11:47
Under Armour 6" Boxer Briefs keeps chaffing away for me. YMMV, but that's been my solution to keep it from even starting. SMSP

prain4u
03-28-2013, 12:13
Duct tape can help keep "hot spots" from becoming blisters.

HOWEVER, if you wait too long to put on the duct tape--and the skin is already blistered (or if the skin starts to "blister" or "break down" under the duct tape) it can be pretty bad if you take off the duct tape --or it catches on a sock and comes of with the sock. Skin is probably coming off with the tape. NOT GOOD. Use gauze under the duct tap if you have doubts.

I am starting to swear by these:
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79971&catid=59963&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=

The seem to stay on for multiple days. Promote healing and cushion the blisters a bit. The one and only time that I had major blisters--these were WONDERFUL.

prain4u
03-28-2013, 12:36
It all comes down to: 1) How little (or how much) first aid stuff you feel safe and comfortable carrying. 2) What specially needs you may have (diabetes, multiple knee surgeries, daily medications, severe allergies, etc). 3) What you are trained to use. (What good does a big first aid kit do you--if you never took a first aid class and never learned how to use the stuff?)

When I go hiking with my roommate from college (a Physician Assistant and former EMT/Paramedic ---whose wife is a Family Physician) I probably don't need to carry a first aid kit or medicines at all. He carries enough medical stuff to outfit a small ambulance. I sometimes suspect that he probably carries a defibrillator and portable operating room with him too! He really feels "unprepared" if he doesn't have many of the medical things that he is used to using--and is trained to use). As much as I pick on him for carrying his multi-pound "first-aid" kit, there is some peace of mind associated with hiking with a well-equipped medical professional in back country areas.

When it comes to first aid kits--it really is HYOH.

richmondhokie
03-28-2013, 12:51
Body glide - will help prevent those pack rubs
Neosporin will help heal pack rubs not prevented with bodyglide
Moleskin - add it
Anti-diarrhea medicine

I carry more - but that's is just me - i am a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy

I forgot foot powder........

juma
04-01-2013, 19:25
leukotape, ibuprofen, baggie with ounce of cayenne pepper (stops bleeding short of femoral rupture). put leuko on hotspots anywhere on your body early, takes a week to wear off. Use it to wrap turned ankle, or close a big cut.