PDA

View Full Version : new member/gregrory z55/ arm numbness!

carophil
03-27-2013, 14:45
hello folks!

i've been checking out this forum for a while now, and finally decided to join. you all have a wealth of information.

i'm 25, and have been traveling on and off since i was 16. been on a few cross country hitch hiking trips, lived in the woods for months at a time. i'm currently settled down in my home state with a job, an apartment, and a relationship, but i think about travel all the time and am always prepared for an adventure.

i've been slowly accumulating gear for another possible long trip in the future, and recently have shopped around for a new pack. the pack that i've lived out of for the past 4 years has been a north face terra 30. i am a little lady and the pack has done its job, but it's a little bit of a tight squeeze, and i can't travel with it without having a decent amount of stuff hanging off of the outside of the pack. after trying on a million packs, i finally settled on the gregory z55. it's by far the most comfortable pack that i have ever tried, and seemed to be one of the only ones that fits my small frame and has a large capacity. i'm waiting for it to arrive by mail, and am going to give it some test runs when it does. anyone own one of these?

the only issue for me is that every - and i mean EVERY - backpack that i've ever tried on with weight makes my left arm go numb, including the terra 30 that i have used for years. it's fine up to 15 or 20 pounds, but anything over that makes my arm get all tingly.

does anyone else have this problem? are there any pack adjustments you could recommend to avoid pinching that certain nerve? pretty frustrating.

anyway, thank you all!

- c

rocketsocks
03-27-2013, 14:57
Try putting a heating pad with moist towel on neck for one hour a day for a week, and see if it improves, if not go see doctor to rule out something more serious...:welcometo white blaze

Not Sunshine
03-27-2013, 14:58
It sounds like you might have some form of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - where the nerves are being compressed and causing numbness.

Is there any chance you could try widening the shoulder straps so rest on the outsides of your shoulders instead of over the clavicle?

I have a lymph node just under my clavicle which often gets rubbed and irritated (and then it gets big) when hiking. I try to put as much weight on my hips and loosen my shoulder straps and push them laterally when hiking (so they're on the outside of my shoulders, not over my clavicles).

Or try some extra padding?

It does sound like your arm is swelling (sign of a blood clot in the vein) which is good. But if you were compressing the artery, you could get numbness from lack of blood flow. Does your hand look pale or discolored when it becomes numb??

Check out this video on youtube. It's a great demonstration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FVvOAndbwk

Not Sunshine
03-27-2013, 15:00
DOES NOT sound like your arm is swelling (sign of a blood clot). Blood clots are bad. Sorry I missed the "NOT" there.

carophil
03-27-2013, 15:15
thanks folks! my arms usually gets kind of red. it's very odd. trying to keep my load weight minimal to prevent it from happening, but i'll usually have to slip that left strap off every 10 or 15 minutes to recover.

i might try some extra padding. of all the packs i tried, the z55 seems to affect my arm the least.. so i am hoping to be able to make some adjustments to keep this from happening. it's a pain in the bum.

carophil
03-27-2013, 15:32
It sounds like you might have some form of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - where the nerves are being compressed and causing numbness.

thank you for mentioning this! it fits my symptoms perfectly and makes so much sense.

Teachnfool
02-17-2017, 13:08
I am 5'4 inches and I have the Gregory Z55. I find it to be a comfortable pack that carries a 25 pound load well enough. The biggest thing is that it fits me very well and it seems pretty durable. I think the trampoline suspension does the job its designed for and does keep the back somewhat ventilated- although not completely- you will still have a damp back! Two downsides; I cannot reach the water bottle pockets on the side if I am wearing the pack, and I wish it had a big mesh pocket on front like the ultralight packs. I believe the new Zulu pack somewhat address the front mesh pocket issues.

Traveler
02-18-2017, 08:57
What does your doctor suggest?

Blindwolfoncasters
05-22-2017, 21:44
I've had the same issue all my life! My left arm tends to get numb and tingly in the fingertips unless I consciously work to avoid it. External, internal, daypack, you name it same issues. I came to realize that my left shoulder carries a lot more stress tension than my right. My left shoulder sort of juts forward just slightly, and my left trapezius are usually tense and stressed, which affects the shoulder. Don't know why, I came from a good home. This means that shoulder straps are my enemy! I have found wearing my pack slightly higher on my hips (my pack is not adjustable) takes a little extra load of the shoulders, and I can loosen the left strap a little extra. If your pack's harness can adjust, give yourself an extra 1/2 inch or so in torso length and see if that helps. That also means your hips and legs will feel it more.
Come to think of it, its my left hand that goes numb on my bike, too.

Alligator
05-22-2017, 23:43
Have you tried a woman's pack where the shoulder straps are arranged different?

If it is a specific medical condition that is caused by compression on a small area of your shoulder, you could maybe create a padded bridge over that spot. Something arched like a shin guard but smaller maybe. Think the shape of capital omega, an arch with feet to avoid creative a new pressure point.

Rain Man
05-23-2017, 10:04
I'm not an ID (Internet Doctor, ha ha), but will share what has worked for me.

1. Tighten the sternum strap so my shoulder straps are not pressing against inside of my arms. Also adjust load-lifter straps.

2. Use hiking poles, which keeps hands and fingers from swelling and feeling numb.