PDA

View Full Version : How to get home once we're done...

ConstableCuffe
03-27-2013, 19:52
Hey everyone. Me and my friend Crocket have been on the trail for about two and a half weeks now. Been going really well too... Well after some gear replacements we had to figure out in Georgia lol. Anyway in Fontana Village right now. Anyway this may make us seem a bit dumb but we've been so focused on getting to Maine we never thought about how to turn around and back home to TN. Well TN for my friend and myself a four hour drive to Machias in Maine. Anyway does anyone know what the primary busses or really just anything are to get there? I assume getting to Knoxville, TN won't be too hard with the average bus line, but to Machias...? I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do. Specifically trying to get to Dickinson's Reach just south of Machiasport (a smaller town nearby). Trying to meet a guy who lives out there and lives off the grid. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get to either one of the two? I've got two google maps, one for car and one for foot, but I'd rather not walk another 160 miles after the 2,000 I just did :rolleyes:

Anyway Thanks,
The Bioterrorist :D

ConstableCuffe
03-27-2013, 19:56
Also this is with the assumption the first town we come to afterward is Millinocket.

Chaco Taco
03-27-2013, 20:14
There will be arrangements when you get there. There is a shuttle out of Baxter and hostels in Millinocket. You really do not need to worry about it.

flemdawg1
03-27-2013, 20:24
Shuttle to Bangor, fly to Knoxville, take a cab.

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 20:33
Yeah, worry about it when you get there. You'll figure it out.

BTW I've been to Machias, cool little town.

Have a great hike!

moldy
03-28-2013, 09:42
What are you talking about dude. Ain't no going home. You finish your thru-hike of the Appalachian trail at age 20, there is no going home. You will not be the same "you" who left home 5 months earlier. That "home" will exist only in your mind, you will have a new home. I don't care if you live another 80 years, your home will always be on the trail somewhere.

Rain Man
03-28-2013, 14:37
You got parents? When my daughter was getting close to finishing, all she had to do was call and ask to be picked up.

Rain Man

Mags
03-28-2013, 15:15
As others said, it will work out. I was fortunate enough that my buddies and youngest brother picked me up at Katahdin for the drive home.

At very least, you can make it to Bangor and from there make it Knoxville.

After 5 mos of backpacking from GA - ME, getting home will seem easy. :)

WingedMonkey
03-28-2013, 15:33
Never thought about it 'till I got to Monson.

Nooga
03-28-2013, 16:56
Shuttle to Millninocket, bus to Bangor , fly to Chattanooga. Took me 5 1/2 months to hike to Maine, and 5 1/2 hours to fly back to Chattanooga.

DavidNH
03-28-2013, 17:08
If you can walk to Katahdin, you'll find a way to get driven or flown back to TN. Worry about that later.

Coffee
03-28-2013, 17:43
The most affordable way might be to somehow get to Bangor, then book a ticket on Amtrak to Washington DC (thruway bus from Bangor to Portland, Downeaster train from Portland to Boston, Northeast Regional to Washington). Then, buy a ticket on Megabus from DC to Knoxville. 2 buses per day run that route. Cost should be around $300 and might be cheaper than booking airfare on short notice.

Chaco Taco
03-28-2013, 21:53
The most affordable way might be to somehow get to Bangor, then book a ticket on Amtrak to Washington DC (thruway bus from Bangor to Portland, Downeaster train from Portland to Boston, Northeast Regional to Washington). Then, buy a ticket on Megabus from DC to Knoxville. 2 buses per day run that route. Cost should be around $300 and might be cheaper than booking airfare on short notice.
Like I said, the folks at the AT Lodge will get you access to Bangor if that is where you need to go.

MuddyWaters
03-29-2013, 13:56
There is still at least a 50% chance you will have to figure out how to get home from somewhere besides Katahdin.
I agree, dont worry about it until you get closer to maine.

magic_game03
03-29-2013, 16:29
If you can walk to Katahdin, you'll find a way to get driven or flown back to TN. Worry about that later.

Agreed. Dude you got so far to go and so much to worry about that if I were you I'd worry about getting home--later. I assure you if you do not have a greencard-visa or have not already arranged a pick-up by a family member you will change your plans probably half a dozen times.

in '05 I remember a group of guys running into some rich dude on the trail who flew them all the way home in his private plane from Bangor all the way to Atlanta or some place. Ya never know, trail magic is crazy like that.

ConstableCuffe
04-04-2013, 17:04
Sad update :( My hiking partner and friend for nearly six years may be going home from Hot Springs. So really I just need to worry about getting to Machias once I'm in Maine... And belive me. This is not a huge worry on my mind, I just figured I'd think about while zeroing every so often lol

Meriadoc
04-05-2013, 08:43
Sorry to hear that your friend is getting off trail.

The folks at the hostel in Millinocket know all about their regional transport. I wouldn't worry about it. But maybe you could yo-yo. You'll probably get to Maine early enough to turn around and head south :).