PDA

View Full Version : hi quick question about a brand of hiking boots

sherbi5
06-27-2005, 22:08
I am not knowledgable on hiking boots, but wan to get a pair. My friend works at ECCO shoes and get 40 percent off the prices. I tried on a few there and they were all leather and said they had gortex in them. Does that mean they are water proof. Also does anybody know how good ECCO hiking boots are?

Blue Jay
06-27-2005, 22:33
I am not knowledgable on hiking boots, but wan to get a pair. My friend works at ECCO shoes and get 40 percent off the prices. I tried on a few there and they were all leather and said they had gortex in them. Does that mean they are water proof. Also does anybody know how good ECCO hiking boots are?

I had good mileage and comfort from a pair of Eccos. I do not believe leather and Goretex should be mixed, however. Way too hot, gets wet and stays wet, and heavy. IMO go for one that can breathe.

BookBurner
06-29-2005, 11:33
Gortex does make the boot itself waterproof for a time being. But Gortex will break down over time and it does absolutely nothing to prevent rainwater from inevitably running down your shin, into your sock, and soaking the boot from the inside out. Gortex is a great marketing tool but IMO, it's an "upgrade" that is not worth the added expense or weight.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Footslogger
06-29-2005, 11:55
Yeah ...Gortex lined boots are a bit of a mixed blessing. Just remember, the same thing that keeps water out, keeps water in when it comes to Gortex. Out west here where the humidity is much lower the Gortex lined boots can be an asset. However on the AT, Gortex lined boots can turn into a foot sauna.

Other than that, I would only add that what works for one hiker often does not work for another. ECCO makes fine footwear but what's more important than the name is whether it fits well.
'Slogger

stupe
06-30-2005, 19:17
I had a pair of Ecco Interceptors that I got on the clearance rack at Paragon Sporting Goods in NYC, and they were possibly the best boots I ever had. They wore very well, too.

Pencil Pusher
07-01-2005, 01:03
Get some retail therapy with the 40% off. People have done more with less.:)