PDA

View Full Version : What knife do you carry?

HangNhike
03-27-2013, 21:14
i need a new knife for my trip next month and was just curious what everyone carries... I assume almost all carry one.

Fixed or folding? Stainless, clad, other? Swiss Army?

Post em up... Pics wanted :D

bigcranky
03-27-2013, 21:42
This does 99% of what I need (http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Classic-Pocket-Knife/dp/B00004YVB3). The scissors get the most use.

Sometimes I carry a small Gerber lockback knife as well, the same one that's in my pocket every day.

MuddyWaters
03-27-2013, 21:44
derma-safe 0.28 oz.
Dont use it either.

What do you "need" a new knife for?
Are you sure you just dont "want" a new knife?

MontanaJoe
03-27-2013, 21:49
I like the Mora knife. I have carried it hunting and fishing all over and into some wild places. Small fixed blade, easy to sharpen on a flat rock if you have to. Cleaned game, split wood, they hold up very well.

Canam
03-27-2013, 22:26
Leatherman Micra. Less than 2oz and great scissors for a small multitool (much better that SA scissors I find) and I use those more than the knife itself.

RCBear
03-27-2013, 22:33
The leatherman line all have superior scissors in my opinion. But...a couple of the ones I have are too heavy for what I need on the trail. Camping, I like to have something I can baton wood with. Hiking, small sharp blade and scissors is all I need. The Micro seems to fit the bill.

garlic08
03-27-2013, 22:43
A single-edged razor blade.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 01:51
Gotta say it again. this one:

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/SquirtPS4Black.OpenInHand.ForSite.jpg

Leatherman PS4 Squirt. It is like the micra, but has tick removers (pliers).

vamelungeon
03-28-2013, 05:30
Swiss Army knife.

Rocket Jones
03-28-2013, 05:57
Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman S4 Micra (scissors instead of pliers).

peteyglad
03-28-2013, 06:57
Another vote for the Leatherman Micra w/ sciccors

Indiana Camper
03-28-2013, 07:12
Leatherman Squirt PS4 and ESEE IZula

Tuckahoe
03-28-2013, 07:20
A couple Christmases ago my dad gave my the Leather Style CS -- http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_CS

I clipped it to one of the zipper pulls on my pack and there it now lives. Otherwise my daily carry knife and always with me no matter what is a Kershaw Leek.

BradMT
03-28-2013, 08:24
Opinel No. 8, 3.25" locking stainless blade w/ 4.25" beechwood handle... a "real" knife and only 1.6 oz's.

coach lou
03-28-2013, 08:28
Schrade 3" 'Uncle Henry' and a John Wayne

The Ace
03-28-2013, 08:29
I use the Leatherman Style. I agree about the scissors being the main use.

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2013, 09:07
I am with Bird Brain... after having a large collection that Squirt is the best for picking up pots and fixing feet around camp otherwise see my gallery

These Shrades are no longer made but found at antique places and knife stores.. it is waterproof and 3ounces

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/5/5/2/kinfe.jpg

moldy
03-28-2013, 09:18
I have spent about 50 days a year on the AT for the past 6 years. I carry a small single 3" blade folding plastic handled knife made by colt. It does not get much use on the trail. It's a cheap knife that could cost about 10 bucks. The greatest use I get out of it is to make a fire I split little pieces of wood to get the fire going. If I get stuck all day in a storm alone at a shelter I whittle. I did notice that it makes other hikers nervous if I mess around with it in the shelters so I put it away. I always carry it in my pants pocket and if I ever needed a weapon it would be the only thing I have.(be it a poor one). I like the blade lock feature. I do find myself pounding on the blade with a stick to split some wood every once in a while so the dull blade edge shows the damage I have done to it. I do not keep it very sharp for fear of cutting myself. I think a knife is a useful tool. Make sure it's a hiker type knife, small. A huge "Jim Bouie" or "Rambo" knife straped to your belt sends the wrong message to others. I try not to intimidate or scare people while hiking.

Wise Old Owl
03-28-2013, 09:31
You're funny Moldy.... the beard and stare is far more scary than the Croc Dundee knife strapped to the leg. :cool:

diyguy
03-28-2013, 09:52
I ususally carry a simple Mora, but am considering switching to a Svord Peasant Knife (see http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?93625-UL-Knife-Options&highlight=).

WingedMonkey
03-28-2013, 10:20
I carry one that I found, that replaces the one I lost.

Tuxedo
03-28-2013, 10:26
I use a cheap single blade knife last one was Gerber Paraframe style $11-19 that way if I fly home I just leave it in a hiker box and carry-on my pack. I dont really need a knife cept for food prep mostly. Once the mind set of shave'n a few more onces from gear the knife is useful too. I can AT thru without but its handy for some.

Gerber Paraframe without serrated blades Ive used and left a cheaper brand in hikers boxes from Korea cant memr the name, rock climbing gear knife mfg have cheap options too

MDSection12
03-28-2013, 10:42
Just got a Mora Companion F yesterday... In the past I have carried a small leatherman, a folder, and a large fixed blade. I think this will replace the folder and the fixed blade. I could get away with just the leatherman, but I like to whittle in camp when I get bored.

peterbuilt89
03-28-2013, 11:47
The Bear Grills Survival Knife, it's GREAT

magic_game03
03-28-2013, 12:31
After 5 major thru-hikes I have to say a knife is absolutely unnecessary. While I often try to think of reasons I need one I cannot think of any reasons that I have to carry one. I have a hard time even justifying why I should carry one for anything but purely whimsical needs.

Reasons I like to carry a knife: cleaning finger nails, cutting cheese from cheese block, cutting new cord to replace old gaiter cord, scissors for cutting finger nails, whittling sticks for fun, and removing splinters, carving my name into the shelters (yea, I do that).

But in all honesty these are just lame reasons for me to carry a knife. If you want to carry a knife or a flat screen TV then please feel free to do so but I personally find it hard to justify carrying a knife.

P.S. I even learned to open wine w/o a corkscrew so I can't even claim to need my swiss army knife for that.

Indiana Camper
03-28-2013, 13:32
Hey that was my first backpacking knife. I had that about 15yr ago or so in college. I'm going to have to dig that out of the knife drawer.

I am with Bird Brain... after having a large collection that Squirt is the best for picking up pots and fixing feet around camp otherwise see my gallery

These Shrades are no longer made but found at antique places and knife stores.. it is waterproof and 3ounces

Thirsty DPD
03-28-2013, 13:41
The Squirt (pliers) makes pulling porkypine quills easier, they're slippery devils. The only thing I carry I've never used & don't want to.

http://www.survivalresources.com/Images/products/SquirtPS4Black.OpenInHand.ForSite.jpg

juma
03-28-2013, 13:44
joyce chen sharp and very light. http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-50-0045-Little-4-Inch/dp/B0001UZMOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364492603&sr=8-1&keywords=joyce+chen+knife

RCBear
03-28-2013, 14:02
After 5 major thru-hikes I have to say a knife is absolutely unnecessary. While I often try to think of reasons I need one I cannot think of any reasons that I have to carry one. I have a hard time even justifying why I should carry one for anything but purely whimsical needs.

Reasons I like to carry a knife: cleaning finger nails, cutting cheese from cheese block, cutting new cord to replace old gaiter cord, scissors for cutting finger nails, whittling sticks for fun, and removing splinters, carving my name into the shelters (yea, I do that).

But in all honesty these are just lame reasons for me to carry a knife. If you want to carry a knife or a flat screen TV then please feel free to do so but I personally find it hard to justify carrying a knife.

P.S. I even learned to open wine w/o a corkscrew so I can't even claim to need my swiss army knife for that.

this tool is an additional 3 oz i am happy to live with. when i try to come up with a reason why i wouldnt carry it on a daily basis, much less being in the back country, i simply cannot come up with a single one.

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 14:09
this tool is an additional 3 oz i am happy to live with. when i try to come up with a reason why i wouldnt carry it on a daily basis, much less being in the back country, i simply cannot come up with a single one.

I want a good item to crush the ticks I find. Plus it is my kmart grease pot gripper.

FatHead64
03-28-2013, 14:28
I want a good item to crush the ticks I find. Plus it is my kmart grease pot gripper.

I am with you although, I presume you mean when not in you. I strive to make every tick encounter (on me, on my pants, whatever) fatal. Little SAK scissors do well too.:mad:

BirdBrain
03-28-2013, 14:37
I am with you although, I presume you mean when not in you. I strive to make every tick encounter (on me, on my pants, whatever) fatal. Little SAK scissors do well too.:mad:

Pull off gently and then crush. It not on me, crush. My eyes are not good enough to cut in half. I agree that is the best thing to do. Hope you are mad at the ticks fellow macrocephalic.

MDSection12
03-28-2013, 14:53

I've run into this sentiment a few times lately. It intrigues me. I carry a knife literally any time I leave the house... So the idea of going backpacking without one is crazy to me. I'll agree that I probably would have survived my trips without one, but that doesn't mean I didn't use it.

magic_game03
03-28-2013, 14:53

...can you at least give us an example of your need to carry a knife. I'm not disagreeing with your need, I just want to hear one.

Probably sounds perverse but I like to burn my ticks slowly. first I detach them. Then I wave a lighter flame about an inch from the little devil and his little legs will curl up. After I have rendered him immobile and writhing in agony I like to put the flame to them and watch them pop. Kinda sick but it's satisfying.

magic_game03
03-28-2013, 15:01
I've run into this sentiment a few times lately. It intrigues me. I carry a knife literally any time I leave the house... So the idea of going backpacking without one is crazy to me. I'll agree that I probably would have survived my trips without one, but that doesn't mean I didn't use it.

No doubt that a knife is useful tool. I don't even disagree that it is something that I have and still do cary on some hiking trips. I suppose my point is that deep down in side I like to carry one BUT I don't really need to carry one. Sort of like having my smart phone, I like it but I don't need it.

MDSection12
03-28-2013, 15:09
No doubt that a knife is useful tool. I don't even disagree that it is something that I have and still do cary on some hiking trips. I suppose my point is that deep down in side I like to carry one BUT I don't really need to carry one. Sort of like having my smart phone, I like it but I don't need it.

Ya, you are definitely right. Kind of like saws and hatchets. Some guys swear you can't properly process wood for a fire without them... But somehow I've been managing without. I think the goal of backpacking is so simple (go out and don't die) that you just find ways around needing things you don't have. Luckily, unlike hatchets, knives are light enough that I can bring one as a 'luxury item' without too much thought.

I wonder if there are guys who find edged rocks upon arriving in camp to do their cutting. :cool:

magic_game03
03-28-2013, 15:29
Kind of like saws and hatchets.

I wonder if there are guys who find edged rocks upon arriving in camp to do their cutting. :cool:

This is an interesting subject to me (knives, saws, and hatchets). First, your talking to a sharp rock kinda guy. I pack my pack with the idea that there are only two things in my pack that have a single use. My sleeping bag is only for sleeping in and my head lamp only serves as a light, else EVERYTHING in my pack has multiple uses. Even my hiking poles have a dozen or so variable uses.

Back to the knives, saws, and hatchets. I can understand the want of a knife but I cannot fathom the need for ever having a saw or hatchet on the trail. I grew up living in a house that was heated solely on a wood stove. Also, I like camp fires so I'm not against burning wood. But the green wood that you can saw or cut down in the woods makes a awful noxious smoke. and even dead wood that you need to chop is not worth the effort.

If I were in a hunting cabin in Alaska then I could understand a saw or ax, but not while section hiking or thru hiking the AT.

Half Knot
03-28-2013, 16:10
I'm an anomaly here I'm sure. I carry the Bear Grylls Ultimate Multitool. Heavy? Yup. But it has a very solid hip holster and rides comfortably on my side, so the weight doesn't have any real impact. I like to carry something that just feels solid, well made and versatile. And Gerber's metal work is among the better quality I've seen.

louisb
03-28-2013, 16:25
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8067/8182230114_b775a126e6.jpg

My Swiss Army knife. Works great for cutting salami & cheese.

Thanks,

--louis

Nooga
03-28-2013, 16:53
Small Swiss Army. Use the scissors more than the blade.

redseal
03-28-2013, 17:11
Leatherman Juice S2

Fakin the Funk
03-28-2013, 20:41
There is always a use for a knife. To each his own, but a knife is on me at all times, much like matches or a lighter. Call me crazy, but I would rather have and not need than not have and need.

Sarcasm the elf
03-28-2013, 21:24
i need a new knife for my trip next month and was just curious what everyone carries... I assume almost all carry one.

Fixed or folding? Stainless, clad, other? Swiss Army?

Post em up... Pics wanted :D

What I actually "need" (and what gets the most use)

2.5 inches closed, 1.6 Inch blade, 1.8oz wt.

http://www.leatherman.com/images/products/micra

http://www.leatherman.com/images/products/micra/Carousel/micra-fanned.jpg

What I also carry just because I want it (and to remind myself that I'm not a ULer)

3 inch blade, 3.6 ounces.

http://www.crkt.com/M1602Z

http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/v/p/241/M16-02Z_xlarge_241.jpg

FatHead64
03-28-2013, 21:27
Pull off gently and then crush. It not on me, crush. My eyes are not good enough to cut in half. I agree that is the best thing to do. Hope you are mad at the ticks fellow macrocephalic.

I hate the things - yes, they always get stinkeye from me. Or worse if I can manage it.

HangNhike
03-28-2013, 21:31
I am thinking about picking this up http://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/funxion-outdoor

It has 2 blades, locking and a flip out carabiner to go on the pack...

Sarcasm the elf
03-28-2013, 21:33
On a side note. The Trail almost gifted me one of these ridiculous knives. I found a brand new one on top of bear mountain in CT, sitting right off the trail. We then turned around and hiked back down the mountain the way we had came up. On the way down we saw a guy that had passed us earlier walking up with an empty bear grylls sheath clipped to his belt, he seemed glad that I had carried it halfway back down the mountain for him.

P.S. This is what you DO NOT need...

http://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/frontpage/survival/knives/survival-series-ultimate-knife_31-000751/294133-3-eng-US/Bear-Grylls-Survival-Series-Ultimate-Fixed-Blade-Knife_fulljpg.jpg

FatHead64
03-28-2013, 21:37
On a side note. The Trail almost gifted me one of these ridiculous knives. I found a brand new one on top of bear mountain in CT, sitting right off the trail. We then turned around and hiked back down the mountain the way we had came up. On the way down we saw guy that has passed us earlier walking up with an empty bear grylls sheath clipped to his belt, he seemed glad that I had carried it halfway back down the mountain for him.

P.S. This is what you DO NOT need...

http://www.gerbergear.com/var/gerber/storage/images/frontpage/survival/knives/survival-series-ultimate-knife_31-000751/294133-3-eng-US/Bear-Grylls-Survival-Series-Ultimate-Fixed-Blade-Knife_fulljpg.jpg

What - it has a nice firesteel to ruin the blade with! However, I can't talk much.

As to the OP, my personal preference is a SAK - SwissChamp. Obviously, not on the UL side of things.

Fur Queue
03-28-2013, 21:47
CRKT Minimalist, neat, discreet...and nasty... 1.1oz.. Plus half an ounce for the neck sheath.

http://www.crkt.com/crkt/content/images_inv/d/f/65/FoltsCU.jpg

cmac992000
03-28-2013, 22:16
Benchmade 440c best ever

Papa D
03-28-2013, 22:16
I actually spend some time pretty deep and long in wilderness areas (what some might term "survival" type places) and rarely use a knife. On the AT, using my knife is really rare - - cutting block cheese or a piece of cord maybe. Nevertheless, you run into people (mostly newbies) carrying big ol "survival" type knives. It's not at all routine for me to use a knife on the trail but I do carry a very small lightweight Gerber Knife that I found in Joyce Kilmer Forest on the trail. It's a nice little light knife with a story. Way too much emphasis is placed on knives - they are rarely used on the trail.

if you have an interest in knives though - you should check out Boker German Knives. They are the very best though I say again not much use in backpacking:

www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/boker/

rusty bumper
03-29-2013, 09:11
Small Swiss Army knife...rarely used it in 5 months of hiking.

Capt Nat
03-29-2013, 14:28
My one time on the AT was short and ended with tenonitis so I'm certainly no expert, but I've spent literally years hiking and camping. It amazes me that there is an almost aversion to knives here akin to guns. I carry a full size knife. It's not heavy in my mind. I've used it extensively for everything from spreading peanut butter to batoning wood for fires. On my hip, it's just too handy not to use. Ever have a foil pack that doesn't want to tear? I don't carry a trowel, but the knife digs a cat hole in seconds. Sometimes I whittle to make shavings for fire tender, sometimes just to pass time. I even use it to stir my drink mixes. Are AT hikers just intimidated by hunting knives?

MDSection12
03-29-2013, 14:47
Are AT hikers just intimidated by hunting knives?

Keep in mind, this site is mostly geared (pun intended) towards thru-hiking. From what I've read, and it makes sense to me, a large knife is just not necessary and every ounce counts on a thru-hike. I'd bet you can get some really nice hunting knives from the hiker boxes in the first few hundred miles.

Wise Old Owl
03-29-2013, 15:10
I thought my fire steel worked fine on the back of the blade. ( I can't check this - I gave them all away)

staehpj1
03-29-2013, 16:05
joyce chen sharp and very light. http://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-50-0045-Little-4-Inch/dp/B0001UZMOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364492603&sr=8-1&keywords=joyce+chen+knife
I am curious what that one weighs.

I still carry a knife on most trips, but have gone more minimal lately with the Gerber LST Ultralight (0.6 ounces). To be honest I really don't need it and have found that it tends to be hard to clean when it gets clogged up with peanut butter. I keep threatening to just skip the knife.

On the other hand I have been planning to take a tenkara fishing rod (the whole outfit is 4 ounces) along on some trips and for those trips think I do want a fixed blade knife for fish cleaning. I am thinking of taking a Little Vickie that I ground the serrations off of.

not_possible
03-30-2013, 00:43
I know I'll be the odd man out on this topic, but I'll have my Leatherman Blast and for the AT my Spyderco Tenacious(cheap knife in case I lose it). I don't even count those towards the weight though because I already carry the Leatherman and a folder daily(plus a ProTac 2AAA)...typically a spring assist, but for legality the Tenacious will fill that role. I have a handful of nice fixed blades, my favorites being my Buck Hoodlum and Punk, great lightish blades for their size...not worth bringing though since I won't be splitting logs for fire wood.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 09:01
STE, I'm not seeing enough detail in those knives you posted. Think you could post some bigger pics next time? :DFeel like I've been to a BIG Screen Theater where knives were flashed across the screen.

Sarcasm the elf
03-30-2013, 09:13
STE, I'm not seeing enough detail in those knives you posted. Think you could post some bigger pics next time? :DFeel like I've been to a BIG Screen Theater where knives were flashed across the screen.

Don't blame me, All I did was link the photos from the manufacturers' websites. Maybe the fact that I had to stand six feet back from the screen to see the pictures when posting was an indication that the photos didnt format correctly. :rolleyes:

The size of the pictures is also the reason that I used the edit feature and added in the size and weight specs on the leatherman Micra. Originally I just posted the photo, but then I realized that based on the photo it looked like the little 2.5" multitool was the size of a set of channel-locks. :eek:

Rasty
03-30-2013, 09:28

...can you at least give us an example of your need to carry a knife. I'm not disagreeing with your need, I just want to hear one.

Probably sounds perverse but I like to burn my ticks slowly. first I detach them. Then I wave a lighter flame about an inch from the little devil and his little legs will curl up. After I have rendered him immobile and writhing in agony I like to put the flame to them and watch them pop. Kinda sick but it's satisfying.

Cutting Hard Italian sausage when sharing food. Shouldn't take bites back and forth.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 09:53
STE, I'm only messin.

What knife do you carry? It keeps changing to a bigger and bigger blade as I get nearer to larger and larger towns. Da bears are not what so concern me, it's Da humans.

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 09:59
...Probably sounds perverse but I like to burn my ticks slowly. first I detach them. Then I wave a lighter flame about an inch from the little devil and his little legs will curl up. After I have rendered him immobile and writhing in agony I like to put the flame to them and watch them pop. Kinda sick but it's satisfying.

You can stay away from all my pets.

Rasty
03-30-2013, 10:01
I'm thinking about getting a custom machete for hiking. About 18" long in high carbon steel with a rosewood handle. Good for splitting wood, breaking down bear carcasses before spit roasting, blade should be wide enough to fry a really fresh egg and I would have something to scare the natives with in town.

shakey_snake
03-30-2013, 11:47
I carry a Leatherman Style PS (no knife blade) multitool. It has pliers, scissors, carabineer/bottle opener, screwdriver and tweezers. Pretty much everything you could need around camp, except a knife blade. I carry it in my cookset, since it's mostly used as a pot grabber. It weights 1.6 ounces.

But, on my hipbelt I carry my Mora #1. It's always handy and I use it for all sorts of things. With it's sheath it weights 2.75 ounces.

Comparatively, my largest knife (SOG seal pup) weights 8 ounces w/sheath. I carry it instead of my Mora if I'm going camping with my less-hiking-oriented friends. It has a much better wedge profile for batoning the massive amounts of firewood we inevitably use on such trips.

If I'm going car camping I just bring all three and my BG Small Forest Axe.

Old Hiker
03-30-2013, 22:48

That's the knife I carry. I got it about 9 years ago from my Wal-Mart employees. I was the Sporting goods manager for a while and they paid me back for treating them nice. I wish I'd gotten another one. I really like it.

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 23:04
I am with Bird Brain...

Ya', but what he isn't telling you is he is wearing this shirt too.
http://rlv.zcache.com/im_with_stupid_t_shirt-re684447e25c04289afaf1fca996fa218_804gs_512.jpg

Dogwood
03-30-2013, 23:18
...Reasons I like to carry a knife: cleaning finger nails, cutting cheese from cheese block, cutting new cord to replace old gaiter cord, scissors for cutting finger nails, whittling sticks for fun, and removing splinters, carving my name into the shelters (yea, I do that).

...P.S. I even learned to open wine w/o a corkscrew so I can't even claim to need my swiss army knife for that.

Uhh, between cleaning finger nails and cutting cheese to eat you do clean your blade, right?

Uhh, same question to you that I asked Magic Game. Uhh, you do clean your blade between crushing ticks and using it as a pot gripper, right?

.....Probably sounds perverse but I like to burn my ticks slowly. first I detach them. Then I wave a lighter flame about an inch from the little devil and his little legs will curl up. After I have rendered him immobile and writhing in agony I like to put the flame to them and watch them pop. Kinda sick but it's satisfying.

Uhh, did any of you by chance spend any time with Jeffrey Dahmer, maybe as his cell mate? Perhaps, on the same prison wing swapping masochistic stories out in the yard? He He He He He tell me more tell me more

BirdBrain
03-30-2013, 23:25
Uhh, between cleaning finger nails and cutting cheese to eat you do clean your blade, right?

Uhh, same question to you that I asked Magic Game. Uhh, you do clean your blade between crushing ticks and using it as a pot gripper, right?

I do not use this tool on food at all, period. FBC does not require a tool or knife. Yes, it would be a good idea to boil the thing after crushing a tick. When I encounter a tick, my 1st priority is crushing the thing. 2nd priority is to deal with the crushed mess on the pliers. Either way, the tick is getting crushed.

Wise Old Owl
03-31-2013, 13:12
ahh the benefit of Stainless is to be able to clean the blade, if you are that concerned you can pass the blade for a 1/2 a minute over the burner or fire raise the temperature over 160 and now its sterile for field work... I still regard Wenger and Swiss the model T of backpacking.

But stainless is not as sharp as carbon and for wood cutting or other items I carry a carbon as well - unfortunately you cannot clean blood from a carbon... but you can clean it off reasonably well.

TheYoungOne
04-01-2013, 12:14
Me and knives are like Imelda Marcos and shoes. I have a huge collection. I have a few big, heavy knives but I never take them with me hiking. My usual hiking favorites are...

Mora Light My Fire knife - I usually toss this in whatever pack I'm hiking with. Its a good overall camp knife, great for cutting food, and spreading PB. Also it has a fire steel built into the handle so I use it as a backup to my bic mini lighter. It only weighs 3.4 oz
http://www.rei.com/zoom/mm/2671a05e-ab8d-4e4e-9e59-6fe80df83c17.jpg/440 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=mora+light+my+fire+knife&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=6mx2moZhqc2yWM&tbnid=wWgZW5xntcfwkM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F832248%2F light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife&ei=Pa9ZUf-lK63F4APCsYGQAg&bvm=bv.44442042,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNGrM2UoXlB1JWjsttEfrs9ZIL3p8A&ust=1364918454982280)

I also occasionally carry a Victorinox One handed Trekker with the fine edge blade in my pocket. It pretty much has everything I would need. Weight 4.5oz

http://images.knifecenter.com/thumb/1500x1500/knifecenter/sak/images/54875.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=Victorinox+trekker&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=62wVApfoa7IDNM&tbnid=6dRnatvBh9HTrM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.knifecenter.com%2Fitem%2FVN54 875%2FVictorinox-Swiss-Army-Black-One-Hand-Trekker-Non-Serrated-4-38-inch-Handle&ei=r69ZUc3JGpG84AOP5oB4&bvm=bv.44442042,d.dmg&psig=AFQjCNFcJV_kFmXmKe1Ql0rS_H1yEeqpeQ&ust=1364918556699389)

The only problem with the Trekker is the blade 3 1/2" long, so even though its totally legal in my home state of PA, other states along the AT are a little weird with blade length above 3", so when it doubt I carry a spyderco delica, which is under 3" and 2.3 oz.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Spyderco-Delica-4-FFG-Blue-FRN-Folding-Knife-C11FPBL-/00/s/OTU5WDEyODA=/z/LsAAAOxyDgRRBP1M/$T2eC16F,!y8E9s2fjFHOBRBP1MOc!Q~~60_35.JPG (http://www.whiteblaze.net/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=spyderco+delica+4+ffg+weight&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Iyamgpo7c_1tYM&tbnid=CDtMnHmh4MDcxM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2FSpyderco-Delica-4-FFG-Blue-FRN-Folding-Knife-C11FPBL-%2F120994815364&ei=SbJZUd_CIJOg0gGbjoHYCQ&bvm=bv.44442042,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNGMslHPTpeA5o0A1X7HiJjRu-uQug&ust=1364919210164683)

peterbuilt89
04-01-2013, 12:30
Whats wrong with the BG Survival Knife?, I have one carry it all the time, the Firesteel works great, you suppose to use the back of the blade not the blade it self, it also comes with a sharping stone, also i carried it on my 2012 thru-hike and used it every day and loved it.

staehpj1
04-01-2013, 14:11
Whats wrong with the BG Survival Knife?
That it weighs almost a pound?

TheYoungOne
04-01-2013, 15:35
That it weighs almost a pound?

+1 The Knife & Sheath total package weighs 14.7oz. Which for most thru hikers is a lot of weight for just one knife. Personally for the money I think the BG knife is decent, especially the newer fine edge version, but for me a that would be a knife I would stick in the trunk of the car or maybe take car camping. The BG knife has a 4.8" blade and that is a lot of weight for a short knife. If I had to take a 5" knife, for example the Sog Seal Pup elite, the Ka-bar short, and the Ka-bar Mark-1 Navy are around 5" blades and all come in at or below 10oz knife and sheath total, and a light my fire rod only weighs an ounce more, but I'm one of those gram counting weenies.

http://www.gpknives.com/sogsealpupelitesatinplain.html

http://www.gpknives.com/kabar-black-short-knife-02-1259.html

http://www.gpknives.com/kabarmarkikratongplain.html

RCBear
04-01-2013, 17:53
What - it has a nice firesteel to ruin the blade with! However, I can't talk much.

As to the OP, my personal preference is a SAK - SwissChamp. Obviously, not on the UL side of things.

Dissapointed that Bear put his name on that knife. It has not been able to stand up well to some of the basic uses it is designed for.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

swjohnsey
04-01-2013, 18:10
Switchblade.

Odd Man Out
04-01-2013, 18:29
This is what I have: Victorinox Tinker
I am considering this: Wenger Clipper. It's the same as the classic, but with a fingernail clipper. I have to keep my toenails trimmed just right or they get infected. Not sure yet how good it would work, but it's Swiss, so it has to be good. Right?

Another Kevin
04-01-2013, 18:56
I carry the same Leatherman on the trail that I carry in town - and I virtually never leave the house without it.

I've had it for years, and I think that when I got it, it was the only model that Leatherman offered. All it says on it is "Leatherman Tool" - it doesn't say "Squirt" or "Micra" or anything like that.

I rarely use the knife part on the trail - mostly for slicing cheese or sausage, or peeling a stick to cook something over a fire the first night out. The little screwdriver gets brought out fairly regularly to tighten the screws on my eyeglasses. The other screwdrivers come in awfully handy in town, but I'm not sure I've ever used them on the trail. The pliers are a tick remover, pot gripper, pot stand straighten-outer, and gripper of various objects. The can/bottle opener has occasionally opened a can or bottle in town. I've even once or twice used the marlinespike to untie a knot (particularly when someone thought I'd goofed using a slipped hitch on my tent guy and "fixed it" while I wasn't looking).

It's heavier than it might be. But, clueless weekender that I am, I have other needlessly heavy gear that's got a higher priority for replacement. I can still spend dollars to save pounds, before I start worrying about spending them to save grams.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2013, 19:44
Dissapointed that Bear put his name on that knife. It has not been able to stand up well to some of the basic uses it is designed for.

Yea he put his name on it... not happy with the steel... possibly it is an overpriced underutilized knife. - these are opinions.

RCBear
04-01-2013, 20:14
Yea he put his name on it... not happy with the steel... possibly it is an overpriced underutilized knife. - these are opinions.

The pommel had notable incidents of breakage when used for hammering. I believe they may have corrected it. I like the gerber knives that are priced at the low end because they provide decent value at that price point. I feel that their knives priced higher than 30 bucks don't measure up against other known brands such as crkt, benchmade, spyderco, etc. They have gotten too caught up with the hokey zombie defense craze. For a survival style knife I think the $70 BK 2 can't be touched. Its more of a camp knife for some, but it's LITERALLY unbreakable.

Wise Old Owl
04-01-2013, 20:40
Hey RC guess what WE AGREE!

RCBear
04-01-2013, 21:03
Hey RC guess what WE AGREE!

And it is on the record too! :)

kunzman
12-20-2013, 23:12
I have spent about 50 days a year on the AT for the past 6 years. I carry a small single 3" blade folding plastic handled knife made by colt. It does not get much use on the trail. It's a cheap knife that could cost about 10 bucks. The greatest use I get out of it is to make a fire I split little pieces of wood to get the fire going. If I get stuck all day in a storm alone at a shelter I whittle. I did notice that it makes other hikers nervous if I mess around with it in the shelters so I put it away. I always carry it in my pants pocket and if I ever needed a weapon it would be the only thing I have.(be it a poor one). I like the blade lock feature. I do find myself pounding on the blade with a stick to split some wood every once in a while so the dull blade edge shows the damage I have done to it. I do not keep it very sharp for fear of cutting myself. I think a knife is a useful tool. Make sure it's a hiker type knife, small. A huge "Jim Bouie" or "Rambo" knife straped to your belt sends the wrong message to others. I try not to intimidate or scare people while hiking.

A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. A sharp knife makes a clean cut whereas a dull one makes a jagged gash. Sharp knives require less effort to get the job done whereas a dull one requires more force which heightens the probability of slippage off the wood onto your flesh.

squeezebox
12-21-2013, 10:55
A machete works really well for dicing spam.

RCBear
12-21-2013, 11:02
MoraKniv makes the best value knives on the market today imo. Razor sharp, hold an edge for a long time, ergonomix and very lightweight for a 4" fixed blade. Avg cost is only 15 bucks in amazon. I keep one in the pack, in the kitchen and in the car.

Waitin 4 my trl name
12-22-2013, 18:29
This is my current everyday/hiking all purpose carry knife: http://www.wengerna.com/evolution-s14-16901 - Wenger Evolution S14 - big plus is that the main blade is a locking one.

SunnyWalker
12-22-2013, 18:39
The Buck neck knife called the Hartsook.

Dr. Professor
12-22-2013, 20:05
I carry a 22 ounce Baladeo knife. I love having a knife, but I don't really understand why someone would want to carry an expensive one or a heavy one.

Dr. Professor
12-22-2013, 20:09
I carry a 22 ounce Baladeo knife. I love having a knife, but I don't really understand why someone would want to carry an expensive one or a heavy one.

Strike "ounce". Insert "gram".

SunnyWalker
12-22-2013, 22:37
Here is a photo of the Buck Hartsook knife I carry. You don't even know you are carrying it. It is a neck knife:http://www.buck-knife-direct.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description2= 1&keywords=neck+knife&submit=

RCBear
12-22-2013, 23:42
Pick one of these up and you wont put it down. In fact you'll end up buying 3 more to keep around the house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TNWD40/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1387770057

fins1838
12-23-2013, 07:58
SOG Flash II. Light weight. 1 finger pops open & stays locked. Sharp w/serrated blade.

perdidochas
12-23-2013, 10:12

As others have said, sharp knives are actually safer than dull knives. If you have to work to hard to cut something, you are more likely to use too much force, and will cut yourself. the other thing is that cuts from sharp knives heal faster.

ChrisJackson
11-08-2015, 11:35
Sorry to resurrect an old thread...

I'm torn between an ESEE Izula and a Leatherman Squirt. Both weigh 2 ounces. The Squirt is obviously more versatile and it's what I want, but let me explain my dilemma.

I am notorious at losing knives.

With the Izula, I can get a sheath and lash it permanently to the exterior of my pack. Permanently! Never lose it (maybe). It would probably be lashed (very) high on my shoulder strap.

But, the Squirt is less expensive and more versatile...and prime for me losing it. My hiking shorts don't have pockets, my hip belt pockets are for food. If I did use my hip belt pockets, the Squirt would be at the bottom, underneath everything. The D-Rings on my shoulder straps could be used but they’re practically hidden/inaccessible because I lash my water bottles to my (ULA) shoulder straps using the shock cord.

I could always store it with my wallet/keys in an internal pocket. It won’t get lost that way. But, it is not very accessible. I cannot find a sheath for the Squirt, but I could always get one from Leatherman anyway and just try it...although the Squirt may rattle around a bit in it.

I find myself considering a neck knife, but assuming that would be uncomfortable when hiking because it would be riding under the sternum strap...

So, how do you keep up with your Squirt, Micra, SAK, etc? Thanks!

Casey & Gina
11-08-2015, 12:00

I carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 too, as well as a Benchmade Bushcrafter (http://amzn.com/B00B0E1MB6) fixed-blade. You don't need a half-pound knife like this but I find plenty of uses where I am happy to have one.

BirdBrain
11-08-2015, 12:47
No matter what object I carry, I ask myself a few questions.

1) Do I need it?
2) Is there a lighter option?
3) Is the item functional?
4) Is the item affordable?

Once I get by the dance of choosing the lightest affordable functional necessity, I then turn to the question of when do I need it? The answer to that question determines where I carry/store the item.

I need access to my maps. I look at my map many times as I walk. I want to know where I am. It is not enough for me that I am on a trail. I am constantly verifying landmarks for assessing distances to water sources, views, destination, and possible bail routes. Because it is a high use item, it is in my shorts/pants pocket. Other items are high use and are prioritized accordingly. I go to great lengths testing how easy it is to get to my snacks or water or filter and on and on.

A knife (actually a multi-tool) is so far down the list of needful items as I walk, that it gets zero thought as it pertains to accessibility. It gets stored in my cuben fiber "smalls" bag. It does not get much use. It never gets used as I walk. If I need it, I can take my pack off and dig for it. The "smalls" bag goes near the top in my pack. It is not hard to find. Don't look for a cool place to display it. Look for a functional place to store it. In your "smalls" bag in your pack is good enough. It does not need to hang off anything or have a special sheath or special place on the pack.

Unless I am missing a use for this item, that is my opinion. I use a tool when something goes wrong. When something goes wrong, I have 2 minutes available to get the tool out of my pack. I hope that nothing goes wrong and I don't need the tool.

ChrisJackson
11-08-2015, 13:04
BB, thanks for your thoughts! You just sold a Squirt! Appreciate it. I'll use my "smalls"/ditty. Best.

BirdBrain
11-08-2015, 13:37
Glad you found my thoughts helpful. I was just going back to reread my post to make sure I was not being my usual excessively blunt self. My cold logical way of looking at things is not always well received. After all, this stuff is supposed to be fun. ;) I find I can have the most fun when things go smoothly. Thus my cold logical way of looking at things as I plan. :D

Odd Man Out
11-08-2015, 14:02
That "smalls" bag is what I call my BUMMER bag, which is an acronym for Back Up, Maintainance, Medical, Emergency, Repair. Those little things you need to have but don't want to have to use. It's a bummer if I have to dig it out since it means something bad has happened. I keep my Ambassador Swiss Army Knife in there. The Ambassador is identical to the better known Classic SAK, but just slightly larger. I find the scissors on the Classic too small fore to use.

Maui Rhino
11-08-2015, 14:33
To keep my Gerber Splice multi-tool from wandering, I tied a short loop of cord to it and attached a #2 S-Biner. It's easy to clip the knife to a strap or key clip, and I don't have to worry about losing it.

ChrisJackson
11-08-2015, 15:20
That's a good idea, MR. There is some shock cord on my external pockets that would be great for this!

I'm reminded of:

:-)

BirdBrain
11-08-2015, 15:24
That "smalls" bag is what I call my BUMMER bag, which is an acronym for Back Up, Maintainance, Medical, Emergency, Repair.

I like it. I am stealing it. BUMMER it is.

fastfoxengineering
11-08-2015, 15:46

I'm torn between an ESEE Izula and a Leatherman Squirt. Both weigh 2 ounces. The Squirt is obviously more versatile and it's what I want, but let me explain my dilemma.

With the Izula, I can get a sheath and lash it permanently to the exterior of my pack. Permanently! Never lose it (maybe). It would probably be lashed (very) high on my shoulder strap.

But, the Squirt is less expensive and more versatile...and prime for me losing it. My hiking shorts don't have pockets, my hip belt pockets are for food. If I did use my hip belt pockets, the Squirt would be at the bottom, underneath everything. The D-Rings on my shoulder straps could be used but they’re practically hidden/inaccessible because I lash my water bottles to my (ULA) shoulder straps using the shock cord.

I could always store it with my wallet/keys in an internal pocket. It won’t get lost that way. But, it is not very accessible. I cannot find a sheath for the Squirt, but I could always get one from Leatherman anyway and just try it...although the Squirt may rattle around a bit in it.

I find myself considering a neck knife, but assuming that would be uncomfortable when hiking because it would be riding under the sternum strap...

I have an ESEE Izula II I'd be willing to part with if your interested. I sold a leatherman squirt a few months ago too lol.

PM if interested

4eyedbuzzard
11-08-2015, 16:42

I've carried the same Gerber LST for over 25 years now. At 1.2 oz it's plenty of knife for hiking. I carry a single edge razor blade in my first aid kit that can serve as a back up if ever needed.

ChrisJackson
11-08-2015, 17:59
25+ years, that's amazing! And, painful...reminds me of how cursed I am with pocket knives. My grandfather gave my dad an Old Timer pocketknife when he was a boy. He still carries it today. My dad, repeating the process...gave me an Old Timer, which I promptly lost inside of a week. All I can say is i'm thankful he didn't give me the original one his dad had given him!

Del Q
11-08-2015, 18:11
Kershaw as part of a caribiner. Handy. I often need my knife when my food bag is not out - this clips onto the outside of the pack, has worked really well for me. Light.

RangerZ
11-08-2015, 20:31
I've been carrying the same Camillus demo knife on the same dummy cord on all my adventures/misadventures for 42 years. Cut every thing from detcord and timefuse to summer sausage last month. Works to spread peanut butter too. Carry a small SAK and single edge razor blade in my FAK, too - belt and suspenders.

Rolex
11-08-2015, 21:02
I've carried the same Gerber LST for over 25 years now. At 1.2 oz it's plenty of knife for hiking. I carry a single edge razor blade in my first aid kit that can serve as a back up if ever needed.

I've switched to a Gerber dime which is lighter than the squirt and has been a good knife for daily carry for a couple of years now.

Hummy585
11-09-2015, 08:38
Thanx again to my career perks and pro-deal, I always carry an issue Benchmade AFO auto...

donthaveoneyet
11-09-2015, 11:28
OK, I'll play. Gerber LST, in my pocket at all times. I've been through a few, fortunately they're not expensive. I also give them as gifts fairly often, and my 11 year old son carries one (except not to school, of course).

Connie
11-09-2015, 13:17
I had a Sypderco Pirahna. I like the special serrated edge for cutting nylon webbing.

It is just that a practically never needed it, while hiking or hiking-camping.

Now, I have a "milk bag cutter" sold on eBay for pesky packaging for food.

I used to carry a paring knife in a plastic sheath for "food prep". Now I do all the "food prep" at home.

Everything is "add hot water" or a "triggy fire" for ambiance and reflected warmth held by my open tarp.

atmilkman
11-09-2015, 13:38
I carry these now and a razor blade as a backup. I can't remember when I quit carrying a knife. I mainly use them for opening and shortening Mountain House meal bags. These little boogers are pretty tough. I've opened them up and used them like a knife to sharpen a stick for a tent stake. I was surprised at how well they worked. I don't know how much they weigh but not much.
http://www.slipnsnip.com/

Hiker9999
11-10-2015, 06:12
The knife I most commonly hear of being used by thru hikers is the tiny Victorinox Classic. Its roughly the size of your pinky (likely smaller) but hey if they can hike 2000+ miles with it I guess that's all you really need.

The knife I use the most by far is whatever Victorinox or Wenger Swiss Army Knife (SAK for short) I am carrying. I have become quite a fan of them since I started using them for a multitude of tasks on the trail, on the road, and at camp. They just make daily tasks so much easier and they work very well - cutting open food packaging, ice bags, cutting up food and fruits, the scissors are great for bandages or other medical items, tweezers for cacti needles and splinters, can opener if I happen to have the occasional canned food while camping, bottle opener, a toothpick for obvious reasons, etc..

Along with a SAK, I have carried a few larger knives on the trail mostly in the beginning due to inexperience and not knowing what to expect, but I always got a far more use out of the SAK. This progressed from 10oz Cold Steel Bushman, to 1.5lbs Schrade Extreme 9, to 9oz Leatherman Wave, and now I'm just down to a 2.25oz Victorinox "Compact" (weights were listed with sheath/carrier where applicable). I found that there just hasn't been much need for a large knife - I only used them to hack away trail hazards for other hikers, such as "eye poker" branches that overhang the trail at eye level or overgrown cacti that crowd narrow trails near an edge. The Leatherman's pliers were useful on one occasion. Everything else that I used the bigger knives for could have been accomplished with a small knife. Nowadays I just use big knives like the Schrade Extreme 9 for splitting wood (which it does very easily) while car camping or using the handle end to break up the ice in my ice chest.

I have a moderate collection of Victorinox Swiss Army Knives & a scale, so here's a weight listing of some light SAK's that I have carried on the trail in case anyone finds it useful.

Classic (plain or SD) - .70oz
Ambassador (bigger version of the Classic) - 1.15oz
Executive - 1.6oz
Compact - 2.25oz
Climber - 2.85oz

I currently carry the Compact the most, as it is the lightest standard size model with scissors, and also includes a pressurized pen, needle, nail file, and tiny eye glass/sunglass screwdriver which normally aren't available. The standard models with dual blades are also great - one blade for general cutting while the other is kept clean and sharp for other tasks. I prefer the Ambassador over the Classic as it is larger and only .45oz heavier. There are several variations including glowing scales, small LED's, Classics with retractable pens, etc..

Casey & Gina
11-10-2015, 09:23
Let's not forget the Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp XAVT (http://amzn.com/B000QGF986). ;)

MockingJay
11-10-2015, 10:10
I always carry a CRKT KISS folding knife. It's 2.3 oz and clipped to my pants pocket so I don't notice it. Last year I also got a CRKT PECK knife that is less than 1 oz but it's so small I'm afraid of it coming out of my pocket and getting lost so I don't take it hiking too much. Used to take a leatherman-type tool but realized I just never used it.

http://www.crkt.com/KISSK
http://www.crkt.com/PECKin-the-Dark-Wharncliffe-Black-Razor-Sharp-Edge

I always laugh at my hiking buddy who carries a Gerber Machete but when a large black bear was staring us down on the AT in GSMNP last month I was kind of glad he had it.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Gear/Gator-Machete-Jr_31-000759

squeezebox
11-10-2015, 12:05
Ever since is saw the monster machette at REI with the big saw teeth on the top side, I've wanted one. But I'ld have to buy a pickup to hang it the rear window gun rack, along with the matching Rambo knife. Yea I'm a badaxx, well maybe just a wannabe. I also have a 24" wok that's too big to use unless you have a stove with a built in hot water heater burner. It hangs on the kitchen wall.

English Stu
11-10-2015, 12:59
Victorinox classic- mainly for the scissors. An Opinel no 7 knife for cheese and in case I need to split wood for my Caldera wood burning cone.

poolskaterx
11-19-2015, 00:03
I use the swiss army knife key chain version, aside from the tiny little cutting blade, the tweezers can come in handy and I love the sissors; ok it is nice to have a toothpick sometimes too. oh yea it has just enough of a screwdriver on it you can tighten screw locks on poles, etc.

MuddyWaters
11-19-2015, 00:20
The last thing i needed a knife for hiking was opening a mountainhouse bag that was defective and wouldnt rip open.

Many hundreds of miles ago.

My sharp stays in ziplock with miscl items in pack. Isually its a dermasafe, although i have brought #11 exacto blade.

colorado_rob
11-19-2015, 10:27
The knife I most commonly hear of being used by thru hikers is the tiny Victorinox Classic. Its roughly the size of your pinky (likely smaller) but hey if they can hike 2000+ miles with it I guess that's all you really need.Yeah, this. no need for any other knife on an AT thru (or other thru's, or even hikes, for that matter). Has small blade, scissors, tweezers, what on earth else do you need? Every-other Blue Moon one might need a small pliers or screwdriver, but somehow one would survive without. Boggles my mind what you see on the trail though, like 4-foot machetes, huge hunting knives, I even saw a sword in the 100-mile wilderness this September. Yikes!

The Solemates
11-19-2015, 10:58
i often carry a whole host of miscellaneous knives on a weekend trip for various different reasons. sometimes I even take a hatchet. it depends on the type of trip i am going on. there are camping trips, canoe trips, fishing trips, climbing trips, and there are hiking trips. i see no reason for any knife whatsoever on multi-day long distance hiking or thru-hiking. i dont ever carry one on those trips, but i tend to be a minimalist.

squeezebox
11-19-2015, 11:07
What about an exato knife or a scalpel?

Gambit McCrae
11-19-2015, 12:01
When I am out to play and not worried about weight or going long distance I carry a Tops BOBS, Topes Tracker and full size sven saw. I don't carry a pocket knife in daily life and for UL backpacking I carry a razor blade in on of those little colored handles that you can flip the blade around in.

cmoulder
11-25-2015, 21:27
I used to carry the little pinky-sized SAK Classic, but I need nail clippers, too, so the Clipper version is it.

tflaris
11-26-2015, 21:32
Leatherman CS

http://m.rei.com/product/840922/leatherman-style-cs-multi-tool

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Kaptainkriz
11-26-2015, 21:42
I carry the Squirt.