PDA

View Full Version : Food stuff

Joe billy
03-28-2013, 08:43
What would be a typical assortment of food in a pack.

RodentWhisperer
03-28-2013, 18:16
What would be a typical assortment of food in a pack.

That depends upon one's tastes, one's travel plans, one's cooking skills, etc. What are you getting ready for?

Tuckahoe
03-28-2013, 18:50
I personally I sit down and think about the menu I want. I usually plan each day as a breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, supper and then finally a bedtime snack.

For breakfast I have tried to keep it simple and quick.

Breakfast can be a Cliff Bar, a 1oz box of yogurt raisins, and freeze dried coffee with cream and sweetener.

For a morning snack, I find the fun size candy bars are perfect, it might be a Payday bar and a Butterfinger. If im not wanting to go the candy bar route, Target has these fruit bars that I like, that will be my morning snack. http://www.target.com/p/archer-farms-strawberry-fruit-bars-6-1-2-oz-bars/-/A-13263892#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=fruit+bar

For lunch I really like the Bumble Bee brand chicken salad kits. Its a small serving of chicken salad and crackers. I may couple that with some cheese, the fruit bar, or a couple Target fruit strips (I think of them as an adult fruit roll up). I also like freeze dried fruit or, dehydrated fruit.

Afternoon snacks are the same as morning snacks, and open to variation. If the candy was in the morning, fruit and or beef jerky might be in the afternoon.

For supper I enjoy Packit Gourmet, and may use their single serving of gumbo, chili, or chicken and dumplings. Again ill couple it with some form of fruit and maybe even coffee. Throughout the day I like to use the sugar free drink mix sticks.

Finally for bed time, I like to have a Walker's short bread cookie.

Im not a through hiker, and I am not trying to feed my hiker hunger. I usually go out for a week, and I try and eat the same way and in the same portions I do at home.

I always cook supper, and I'll alway have hot coffee for breakfast, but I do not always cook breakfast. Though, that may change as I try out some new breakfast foods.

Special K
03-28-2013, 19:47
Better get my eyes checked. Thought I read...thread started by BILLY JOEL!:eek:

Found this link on 10 ultralight backpacking foods: http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5521/10-ultralight-backpacking-foods/