PDA

View Full Version : Pls Advise on these Resupply Points

Coosa
03-28-2013, 14:43
I've been working on my Resupply points and would appreciate comments.

I do not carry a stove, by choice.

1- Snack Foods at Pine Grove Furnace ......... 2 days
2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days
3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days
4- Port Clinton ... Mail Drop .........................3 days
5- Palmerton ... IGA ....................................3 days
6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days
7- Unionville ... Grocery/Deli .......................2 days
8- Mt Vernon... A&P ....................................3 days
9- Appalachian Market [before Greymoor]..... 5 days
10- Kent, CT ... Grocery in town....................4 days
11- Salisbury, CT ...La Bonnes ...& Deli..........3 days
12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days
13- Dalton, MA ... Cumberland Farms ............1 day
14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days
15- North Adams, MA ... Super Stop & Shop....7 days
16- Manchester Center, VT ...Price Shopper ....3-4 days
17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days
18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days
19- Woodstock Stage Rd/Bartlett Brook Rd .....2 days
20- Hanover, NH ... Hanover Food Co-Op........ 7 days
21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days
22- Crawford Notch ... Mail Drop .....................4 days
23- Pinkham Notch Front Desk ...Mail Drop ...... 2 days
24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days
25- Andover, ME ... General Store .................... 4 days
26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days
27- Stratton, ME ... Fotters................................4 days
28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days
29- Shaws ... Mail Drop .....................................10 days
>> [4 Days will be delivered at Jo-Mary Rd]
30- Abol Bridge Campground Store .....................2 days

I already see that I could combine a few of these and buy 5 days instead of 2 in one town and 3 in another.

Other suggestions?

This is all tentative of course and I could hike faster.

Thanks, Coosa :sun

Coosa
03-28-2013, 15:23
Will Combine and take 6 days out of Palmerton and 6 days out of Salisbury and 4 days UPSed to Sherburne Pass

moldy
03-28-2013, 15:35
Pine Grove Furnace was all closed up last April when I hiked through, they may have been open on weekends so check it out.

10-K
03-28-2013, 15:47
You should be able to skip #17 and go from Manchester Center to Shelburne Pass without resupplying. I think I did that section in 2 days this past August.

VTATHiker
03-28-2013, 15:54
The Italian restaurant in Unionville was excellent and a good deal.

Salisbury, CT is incredibly expensive. In my experience it was the most expensive town on the whole trail. It may not matter to you, but something to keep in mind if you're on a budget.

Double-check that White Mountain Lodge is still open in Gorham. I though I had heard that they we shutting down this season - at least, I though Greg and Jerry were selling the place.

Don't miss the Stratton diner!

Jeff
03-28-2013, 16:26
Double-check that White Mountain Lodge is still open in Gorham. I though I had heard that they we shutting down this season - at least, I though Greg and Jerry were selling the place.

White Mountain Lodge and Hostel is indeed for sale....but Greg and Geri are committed to keep it open for the 2013 hiker season.

The Old Chief
03-28-2013, 17:42
10-K is right about skipping #17 and going on to Sherburne Pass. And at Sherburne you should be able to find plenty of food at Killington or take the bus into Rutland for your re-supply. Since you are not cooking your food bag may be a little bit heavier especially after re-supply so I would take advantage of all the food opportunities in this part of the trail and try not to carry 5 days worth. A lot of days you can eat at delis not far from the trail. A lot of the time 2 days supply will do for this area.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 19:49
When going into Manchester Center, does one use the "Old Rootsville Road" or hike or hike to VT 11/30?

10-K
03-28-2013, 19:59
When going into Manchester Center, does one use the "Old Rootsville Road" or hike or hike to VT 11/30?

11/30. It's an easy hitch. Both times I've hitched there it took me less than 15 minutes to get a ride.

Be careful, you can fall in love with Manchester Center. My favorite trail town x 10.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 20:04
Pine Grove Furnace was all closed up last April when I hiked through, they may have been open on weekends so check it out.

I'll be going through here in May, before Memorial Day, so it may be closed.

Maybe I should plan to use Henicle's Grocery at US 30 at Caledonia St Park?

Gotta rethink. I don't know how fast I can hike or how the terrain and weather will be.

Again, thanks, Coosa

swjohnsey
03-28-2013, 20:43

2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days Coupla good places to eat but convenience store sux
3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days Folk at the Doyle will take you to supermarket
6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days
12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days
14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days Post office very convenient but not much in the way of resupply
17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days
18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days
21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days Expensive and not much except microwave burgers
24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days They will take you to the last Walmart on the trail
26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days Store is good but hard to get to
28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days Post office has a phone outside to call Sterling Hotel, has very good resupply

Mountain Mike
03-28-2013, 20:53
Sherburne Pass has a large deli/convience store right next to PO. You could resupply here without postal drop between that & market a bit further down the road. Or like stated before take the shuttle bus into Rutland that runs hourly for a few bucks with plenty of options for resupply.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 21:12

2- Boiling Springs ... Convenience Store .......3 days Coupla good places to eat but convenience store suxI can eat meat sticks and snickers, etc for a couple of days
3- Duncannon .. Murtzapaughs [Rite Aide].....6 days Folk at the Doyle will take you to supermarket I wasn't planning on staying at the Doyle. Should I??
6- DWG ... Convenience Store/Bakery...........2 days Decided to buy for 5 days at Palmerton and skip DWG other than the Bakery
12- Tyringham, MA ...Mail Drop ....................3 days Considering taking 5 days out of Salisbury and skipping the Mail Drop
13- Dalton, MA ... Cumberland Farms ............1 day Thought I'd just get three days at the Cumberland Farms and truck on through Cheshire
14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days Post office very convenient but not much in the way of resupply
17- VT 103 to East Clarendon Gen Store ........2 days Suggested that I could hike from Manchester Ctr to Sherburne Pass easily
18- Sherburne Pass UPS delivery .................. 2 days Going to send 4 days here and skip #19
21- Flume Visitor's Center .... Snacky Foods ... 2 days Expensive and not much except microwave burgers Will Skip this then and walk a bit faster
24- Gorham, NH ...White Mtn Lodge Mail Drop .. 5 days They will take you to the last Walmart on the trail Do I have to go to MalWart? :(
26- Rangeley, ME ... IGA ..................................5 days Store is good but hard to get to Planning to stay at the Hiker Hut, I believe they have a shuttle to the store ... for a price
28- Caratunk, ME ..... Mail Drop ........................ 4 days Post office has a phone outside to call Sterling Hotel, has very good resupply And that's where I'm planning to stay. You're saying the HOTEL has it's own resupply or the Town has a good resupply??

All I have to do now is pack a couple of mail drops. Well and get a cortisone shot.

Chaco Taco
03-28-2013, 21:50
In North Adams, go to the Wild Oats Natural food store near the college. Stop and Shop is a rip off, way overpriced. Wild Oats is awesome.

The Lodge in Gorham is for sale and I do believe it will be closed. Honestly, White Birches has a great little hiker hostel and they run shuttles where ever you want to go.

swjohnsey
03-28-2013, 22:31
All I have to do now is pack a couple of mail drops. Well and get a cortisone shot.

For sure stay at the Doyle. The Sterling has a very well supplied little "store" with just about anything a hiker will need in the way of food. They will also take you to the next little town.

Coosa
03-28-2013, 23:36
For sure stay at the Doyle. The Sterling has a very well supplied little "store" with just about anything a hiker will need in the way of food. They will also take you to the next little town.

My 'food' is mostly Protein Powder, Peanut Butter, Bagels, Dried Fruit, Almonds, Granola/Go Lean by Kashi, Tortillas and Dry Hummus. I can 'live' with eating that on the Trail and not get tired of it. Especially if I can find some goooood and hot hot hot sauce. [I've had Dave's Insanity Sauce and Mrs Renfroes Salsa ... I know 'hot' and I know 'really hot.']

BillyGr
03-28-2013, 23:37
I've been working on my Resupply points and would appreciate comments.
14- Cheshire, MA ...HD Reynolds ...& Deli.......2 days

Just a note - the outskirts of Pittsfield, MA are under 5 miles from Dalton and have both a Price Chopper and a Stop & Shop (Price Chopper is the closest - that plaza also has a (non super) WalMart if you wish, plus an Old Country Buffet for eating.
In the general area is also a Rite Aid (in case you need a drugstore for any reason) and a number of other food places - also a Dick's (not that they have a lot, but possibly some minor supplies).

North Adams also has a Price Chopper (to your right as you hit Route 2) if you wish an alternative to S&S, but it is a somewhat older and smaller store than the S&S so may have a more limited selection. From the databook, looks like 0.7 (PC) vs 0.5 mi (S&S).

Personally from shopping both stores (in general, not these specific locations, and not necessarily for hiking food) they can both have better prices on some items, just depends what's on sale that week vs what you are looking for. No idea on the mentioned Wild Oats (it is a bit further away, to your left (same direction as S&S) as to prices, items etc.

Coosa
03-29-2013, 00:35
Just a note - the outskirts of Pittsfield, MA are under 5 miles from Dalton and have both a Price Chopper and a Stop & Shop (Price Chopper is the closest - that plaza also has a (non super) WalMart if you wish, plus an Old Country Buffet for eating.
In the general area is also a Rite Aid (in case you need a drugstore for any reason) and a number of other food places - also a Dick's (not that they have a lot, but possibly some minor supplies).

North Adams also has a Price Chopper (to your right as you hit Route 2) if you wish an alternative to S&S, but it is a somewhat older and smaller store than the S&S so may have a more limited selection. From the databook, looks like 0.7 (PC) vs 0.5 mi (S&S).

Personally from shopping both stores (in general, not these specific locations, and not necessarily for hiking food) they can both have better prices on some items, just depends what's on sale that week vs what you are looking for. No idea on the mentioned Wild Oats (it is a bit further away, to your left (same direction as S&S) as to prices, items etc.

I have a friend of my Mom's who's picking me up in Dalton to go to the Rite Aid and out to eat.

She's willing to take me to the grocery store, too. I just didn't want to impose on her too much. She's wanting me to spend the night at her house and do my laundry ... I wasn't planning to take her up on that, but I may do so.

I'll talk to her about going to Price Chopper.

Thanks again for the input.

10-K
03-29-2013, 07:37
You know, this is really pretty complicated.

Have you thought about just printing off the list you have and taking it with you. Each night you could plan the next day or so.

Don H
03-29-2013, 08:00
I think most people carry a guidebook and just plan for the next resupply. When you get to a town you'll know about how many days food you need to buy to get you to the next town. People seem to have a need to plan everything but I found that it's easier to figure it out as you go. I did download Baltimore Jack's resupply article and referred to it, it gives you a good guideline on how many days it typically takes to get from various resupply points.

moldy
03-29-2013, 09:44
1106 If Pine Grove furnace Store is closed you just keep going to 1106 miles from Springer to the Green Mountain Store. It will be open. Get something hot to eat and they have a decent supply of hiker food items. It's a quarter of a mile off the trail.

Coosa
03-29-2013, 14:25
You know, this is really pretty complicated.

Have you thought about just printing off the list you have and taking it with you. Each night you could plan the next day or so.

Yes, it is complicated. I over-think. But I do want to have my Mail Drops prepared and ready to go. I have a friend in North Georgia who's mailing them for me and I have to drop them off next Month.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Portie
03-29-2013, 16:08
Regarding Port Clinton, PA there is a SuperWalmart near the trail, closer than the Cabelas, perhaps 1.5 miles south of where the trail hits the highway.