PDA

View Full Version : Solo Stove - Wood burning stove review

writeronthestorm
03-28-2013, 19:14
Don't know if anyone's tried a wood burning stove in the backcountry, but I recently purchased one and used it backpacking a few times and thought I would share the review.

http://www.writerinthewild.com/2013/03/gear-review-solo-stove.html

leaftye
03-28-2013, 19:28
This looks like a clone of the Bushbuddy, except heavier. While I wouldn't buy the clone, I appreciate your review because the feedback should be almost exactly the same for the Bushbuddy. Personally, I'd pay extra for the lighter version since I'd plan to use it for a very long time.

Your review says you're in Arizona, but your profile here says you're in Washington. Which is it now, and how do you, or would you, feel about using it in Washington?

writeronthestorm
03-28-2013, 20:28
I moved to Arizona last summer. I just haven't updated my info on here yet.

I would feel really good about using it in Washington. They'll be plenty of fuel, and lots of canopy to shelter from the rain. Obviously I think the western part of the state where its known for being wet could present some challenges, but a little preparation and common sense I think would win the day. That being said, like with any piece of gear, you want to use what will work best for the conditions you expect to encounter. Would I choose the Solo Stove if I expected to encounter sustained rainfall for multiple days? No... But I wouldn't use my down bag either. Anyway, like I mentioned in the review, I didn't get a chance to use it in the rain, so this is pure speculation.

zelph
03-30-2013, 22:47
Very nice stove and review. Awesome site you have there. Looks like you do a lot of Galavantin and have a lot of fun doing it. Nice country out here.